Compiled by Arthur Paul Moser
Adam's Mill was a pioneer mill named for its builder. (--Place Names.)
It was 2 miles east and 2 1/2 miles south of Avilla, on Spring River. (--John Luther Brown, Avilla, Missouri)
Alba, situated on Spring River, 4 miles northeast of Oronogo, was a Quaker settlement and at first distinctively a farming community. (--History of Jasper County, 1912, Livingston, Vol. 1, p. 221.)
It is 8 miles northwest of Carthage, and was a Quaker village surrounded by good farming country, settled with industrious people. It had 2 Friends meeting houses, 1 store, and 1 school house; population, about 150, (1874). (--Campbell's Gazetteer of Missouri, 1874, p. 275.)
In 1882, Alba took its name from its first postmaster. (--Place Names.)
It is located at Sections 15 & 16, Township 29 N, Range 32 W, on Highways D & O. (--General Highway Map of Jasper County, issued by The Missouri State Highway Department, 10-1-69. Unless otherwise noted, all map descriptions are from this map.)
The town of Asbury was laid out in 1896. . .So rapidly did the town grow that before the close of the year there were 6 stores, 2 livery stables, 2 hotels and an implement house. The population increased so fast that it was necessary to build a two-room school house. Asbury also had a well edited paper in 1912, and a bank. The population in this part of the county, however, would not support so many businesses, and toward the close of the decade some of the stores moved away... (--History of Jasper County, 1912, p.433.)
Asbury was advertised by the Kansas City, Pittsburgh and Gulf R. R. As there are many Asburys in this vicinity, it was very likely named for a family there. (--Place Names.)
It is located at Section 2, Township 39 N, Range 33 W, on Highway 171.
It was north of Duenweg, at Sections 2 & 35, on a line between Townships 27 & 28, 32 W, on Highway AA.
Avilla, in the center of a rich farming district 12 miles east, northeast of Carthage contained a few stores, a hotel, 2 churches--Methodist and Baptist, and a school house. Population about 500, (1874). (--Campbell's Gazetteer of Misouri, 1874, p. 275.)
The first merchant was D. C. Holman, who was also the first postmaster..The post-office was established about 1868. The first hotel, the Avilla House, was erected By Justice Hall about 1868...The first physician was Dr. Young. (--History of Jasper County, 1883, Mills & County, p. 898.)
It was named for Avilla, Indiana. (--Place Names.)
It is located at Sections 30 & 31, Township 29 N, Range 29 W, on Highways 66 & 37.
Early in the 1880's a production camp was opened in the southwestern part of the county and just southwest of Old Sherwood, and called Belville, after the mining superintendent who developed the round. Like its neighbor, Lehigh, Belville had a rapid growth and at one time numbered more than a thousand. A town was laid out and a post-office established, under the name Zincite. . .It had a play house, with a seating capacity of 400, two churches, and business in proportion. Zincite continued to thrive for some twenty years, but during the last decade (as of 1912) has declined and now (1912) only a hamlet. (--History of Jasper County, 1912, Livingston, pp. 315, 316.)
Bellville, also spelled Belville, later Zincite, is the name of a store and mining camp in the southwest part of the county, and was named for a mining superintendent. The town got a post-office under the name Zincite. (--Place NameS.)
It is located at Section 25, Township 28 N, Range 34 W, on Highway P. Mail through Joplin.
It was on Shoal Creek west of Joplin. (--New Atlas of Missouri, 1874, Campbell, Map #35.)
It is in the southwest corner of the county, northwest of Joplin, at Section 25, Township 28 N, Range 34 W, on Highway P.
Mail through Joplin.
Blend City (later Blendville, q. v.)
Blend City was named for the blending of ore found on the Cox land, at the southwest edge of Joplin in 1876. (--Place Names.)
Blendville (earlier Blend City, q. v.)
Blendville was the name given by the citizens to Blend City, July 1, 1890. No reason for the change is known, but it was named for its predecessor. It was annexed to Joplin, in 1892. (--Place Names.)
(For a fuller discussion of Blendville, see History of Jasper County, 1912, Livingston, Vol. 1, p. 373).)
In 1840, the people who lived in the western portion of the country of the Six Bulls petitioned the government to establish a post-office at some point on Turkey Creek for the accommodation of the settlers living between Spring River and School Creek. The nearest post-office was Sarcoxie. After many overtures the postal authorities agreed to establish an office, provided that the people would bear the cost of the same, as the business would not pay the expense of the maintenance and the carrier would have to bring the mail from Sarcoxie.
John C. Cox agreed to serve the people gratis and was accordingly, on the 17th day of January, 1841, commissioned postmaster of the new office, which was christened Blytheville, in honor of Billy Blythe, a wealthy Cherokee Indian who resided on Shoal Creek and who was noted far and wide for his integrity and fairdealing. The government allowed the earnings of the office to be applied on the mail carrier's pay and the deficit was made up by the patrons of the office.
The Blytheville post-office was maintained, excepting during the Civil War, until 1872, when the name was changed to Union City and moved to Murphysburg (West Joplin). (--History of Jasper County, 1912, Vol. 1, pp. 141, 142, 143. Also, place Names.)
It was in the southeast corner of Preston Township. (--New Atlas of Missouri, 1874, Map #35.)
It was in Marion Township, northwest of Carthage. (--New Atlas of Missouri, 1874, Map #35.)
Carl Junction was founded by Charles Carl, and, being at the crossing of the Frisco and Joplin and Girard (later a part of the Frisco), was called Carl Junction. (--History of Jasper County, 1912, Vol. 1, p. 221.)
It is located at Sections 5 & 6, Township 28 N, Range 3 W, on Highway Z, west of 171.
Webb City and Carterville are often spoken of as the Twin Cities and very properly so, for they both came into existence the same year, and, except to those who are familiar with the dividing line between the two towns, it is hard to tell just where Webb City ends and Carterville begins; for Ben's Branch, which is between the two towns, wends its way first one side and then the other of the imaginary line which divides the two municipalities. In the spring of 1877 the citizens petitioned the county court to incorporate the town of Carterville, as a municipality. After organizing the city government, quite a number of people thought that the municipality was an unnecessary expense, and the board of trustees did not meet again from September 6, 1877 until April, 1882, when the municipality was re-organized. (--History of Jasper County, 1912, Vol. 1, pp. 219, 220, 221.)
It is located at Sections 9, 10, 15, 16, Township 28 N, Range 32 W, on Highway 66.
Carthage, the county seat, 27 miles from Pierce City, is near the center of the county. It was at the close of the Civil War a depopulated village with only three buildings in good condition. . .It had 1 woolen mill, with 6 looms; 2 foundries and machine shops, 3 wagon, 2 plow and 1 furniture factory, a brewery, four flouring mills, and other smaller industries, about 35 stores, and 30 other business houses. Population, about 6,000. It had 4 banks (1874). It is on the K. C. & N. W. RY, (Memphis, Carthage and Northwest). Now FrisCounty (--Gazetteer of Missouri, 1874, Campbell, p. 276.)
Carthage dates its existence from 1866. (--New Atlas of Missouri, 1874, Campbell, p.33.)
On March 12, 1868, a petition was presented to the county court by N. C. McGregor on behalf of two hundred six tax paying citizens of Carthage, praying for incorporation as a town. Accordingly a decree was granted erecting the town of Carthage into a municipality. (--History of Jasper County, 1912, Livingston, Vol. 1, p. 83.)
It was named for the city in Africa. (--Our Storehouse of Missouri Place Names, Ramsay, pp.35, 96, 97.)
It covers several sections in Township 28 N, Range 31 W, on Highways 71, 66, 96.
Carytown is located at Sections 3 & 4, Township 29 N, Range 31 W, on Highway 71.
Mail through Carthage.
As Carthage had been destroyed during the Civil War and the court house burned, the governor named Cave Springs in the east-central part of the county as the temporary seat of the county, and here the newly appointed county officers assembled October 10, 1865, and assumed their respective offices. They were county court--W. B. Hamilton, F. B. Nichols, and Thomas CaIdweLl; sheriff--S. H. Caldwell; county clerk--W. T. Bulgin; treasurer--J. H. Fullerton; prosecuting attorney--Joseph Estus. Hon. John Price was judge of the circuit court.
It had been supposed that the county funds had been lost during the days of the Civil War. However, Mr. John Onstatt, one of the bondsmen had other ideas. The county funds amounting to $250 in Missouri State bank notes and $1300 in gold had been entrusted to him. He buried the treasure in a glass candy jar in his garden. After about a year he feared the bills would decay so he dug up the money; the bills were almost decomposed. He replaced the gold in its hiding place, and took the bills into his house. Shortly after removing the paper money to his house a company of pin Indians, members of a United States Volunteer regiment, swooped down on his house and carried away the $250 besides other property...
On the day the court opened its session, Mr. Onstatt, accompanied by his son, went to the place designated for the courts assembling, (a tumble down store building) and when the court was ready for business, appeared before them and informed them that he had come to restore the county funds. He opened the sack containing the money and emptied it on the table. The onlookers were amazed, not knowing that a dollar had been saved.
Then they inquired about the missing $250. He told them of the circumstances; they demanded the $250. After some discussion it was decided that he repay the $250 with interest on the money for the time he had it in his possession. He became indignant at this, and replaced the money in the sack and said, "Gentlemen, I had done what I thought was right, but as for interest I will law you to the last court before I will pay one dollar of your unjust demands."
The court realized that they had made a blunder, and decided to take the money. Mr. Onstatt then left the money and left. . Eventually he came back with the $250 and the couRt re-opened the question of interest and brought suit to recover it. The suit on coming on for trial was dismissed. The old timers, who appreciated Mr. Onstatt's honesty, often referred to the case where the treasurer was indicted for being an honest man. (--History of Jasper County, 1912, pp. 67, 68, 69.)
Centreville (later Sarcoxie)
In 1831 Thackery Vivion built a very small cabin; a mill and a saw mill near the spring on Centre Creek. After several families arrived he asked for a post-office in 1833 under the name of Centreville in honor of the creek. As there was another Centreville in the state the name was soon changed to Sarcoxie. (--Place Names.)
Centre Creek, (Oronogo) until recently (as of 1874) is 10 miles west of Carthage and 7 miles north of Joplin...It has been a good business point since the first settlement of the county. Lead ore seems to have been obtained here since the earliest recollection. (--Campbell's Gazetteer of Missouri, 1874, p.276.)
Chambersville (later Dudenville, q. v.)
Chambersville was established about the close of the Civil War, and was named for the man who owned the farm and store. (--Place Names.)
Chambersville, 8 miles north of Avilla. . .now (1874) contains 1 store and about 50 inhabitants. (--Campbell's Gazetteer of Missouri 1874, p.276.)
Chitwood, a little business center in the mines lately (as of 1930) added to Joplin, was named for the family who owned the store. (--Place Names.)
Damfino was an old trading-point six miles south of Carthage. Doubtless the name originated as a bit of pioneer humor. Some joker said rapidly the words suggested by the name, and his neighbors took it up as a name for the place. (--Place Names.)
In 1866 Franklin Side laid off the town of Diamond, in the northern portion of Diamond Grove, and erected there a large store building hauling the lumber overland from Sedalia. Like Fidelity the business of the town did not flourish after the founding of the mining town of Scotland, and is now only a memory. (--History of Jasper County, 1912, p.76.)
It was a post-office 9 miles south of Carthage. (--Campbell's Gazetteer of Missouri, p.275.)
Diamond Grove is a grove named by the pioneers because of its shape. (--Place Names.)
Reference is made to the old song "Put On Your Old Gray Bonnet." The Dover mentioned in the song is a small hill at the north city limits of Joplin, on North Main St. Mrs. Lucille Morris Upton says that the composer of the song was a son of the postmaster. The song was written around the turn of the 20th century. (--Located by Mrs Betty Qualls, of Arcola, and her mother.)
It was on Spring Creek near the confluence with Dry Fork Creek. (--New Atlas of Missouri, 1874, p.35.)
Dudenville (earlier Chambersville, q. v.)
When the store and land owned by Chambers passed into the hands of a member of the Duden family about 1895, the name was changed by the people to Dudenville. (--Place Names.)
It was located at Sections 26 & 35, Township 30 N, Range 29 W, on Highway N, east of 37 in the northeast corner of the county, near the Dade County line.
J. W. Ground and Tom Irwin, who built the first business houses at this mining camp, had a lease on some land and sold out to a Mr. Duenweg, a promoter from Pennsylvania. The town was named for Duenweg. (--Place Names.)
It is located at Section 10, Township 27 N, Range 32 W, on Business Loop of Highway I-44.
It was southeast of Oronogo, in Joplin Township. (--New Atlas of Missouri, Map #35.)
Duncan's Mill was a pioneer mill named for its owner. (--Place Names.) (Location is unknown.)
The Duval trading-point was named for its owner. (--Place Names.) (Location is unknown.)
It is at the east edge of Joplin, at Sections 4, 5, 8 & 9, Township 27 N, Range 32 W, on Highway 66.
East Opolis was located on the part of the south half of Lot 3, of northwest fractional quarter of Section 19, Township 30 N, Range 33 W. It was located by Dr. Andrew C. Lyngar, April 12, 1881. This place was part of Opolis, Kansas, but was on the Missouri side of the State line. Main Street is located on the State line between Missouri and Kansas, and is termed State Line Street. On the west side of the street is Kansas. That side was formerly called State Line City. The name is taken from the latter part of Minneapolis, Minnesota.
A Mr. Davis was the first to sell goods in State Line City, and would go to Medoc, Missouri, on horseback and purchase as many goods as he could conveniently carry on horseback. . .His store consisted of a small shanty. . .Nearby he made an excavation for a cellar, and built a hotel on wooden stilts with the intention of completing the cellar at his convenience, but unfortunately the season was a wet one, and a mild cyclone came along and State Line City was destroyed.
The first post-master was J. M. Osburn. The office was formerly kept at a place known as Steventown, Kansas, and was removed to Opolis. . .The population, including East Opolis, was about 250 persons, (1883). (East Opolis no longer is on the map. There is an Opolis, Kansas, in Crawford County.) (--History of Jasper County, 1883, Mills & County, p.1034.)
Fidelity was a post-office south of Carthage. (--Campbell's Gazetteer of Missouri, 1874, p.275.)
Franklin Sides laid out an addition to Fidelity (a village which had been founded in 1856 by William Cloe) and erected a large store building. S. H. Caldwell, on closing his term of office as sheriff, began the erection at Fidelity of a large mill, and for a time, this little village gave promise of being a town of importance.
There is nothing now left of the town save the memory of its great promise and speculation of what it might have been. (--History of Jasper County, 1912, Livingston, Vol. 1, p. 75.)
Fidelity also known as Skeeterville (q. v.); later Lehigh (q. v.) was laid out and named in 1856 by William Cloe, the owner of the store there. His reasons for choosing the abstract name are unknown. (--Place Names.)
However, Fidelity has staged a comeback. It has a grocery store and antique shop, also several new houses have been built. The population as of 2 April 1976 is 171. (--John Luther Brown.)
Fidelity is located at Sections 3, 4, 9 & 10, Township 27 N, Range 31 W, at the junction of Highways I-44 and 71. Mail through Carthage.
It was among the surrounding points of Carthage and Diamond Grove. (--History of Jasper County, 1912, Livingston, Vol. 1, p. 192.)
Burch City, once a flourishing mining town in the southwest portion of Jackson Township. It was laid out in April, 1877 by Covington Burch in the southwest quarter of the southwest quarter of Section 11, Township 27 N, Range 32 W. (--History of Jasper County, 1883, Mills & County, p. 758.)
A post-office was established in the winter of 1883 at a ford on Center Creek called Flornoy. Mrs. S. A. Norris was appointed postmistress. At this point was situated the water power mill of Mr. Norris called Pleasant Grove Mill. (--History of Jasper County, 1883, Mills & County, p. 723.)
It was in Galena Township, southwest of Oronogo. (--New Atlas of Missouri, Map #35.)
French Point was the scene of several skirmishes during the Civil War. The first fight at French Point took place May 14, 1863, and for the next six days a number of skirmishes occurred, both commands sleeping on their arms by night and fighting during the day. (--History of Jasper County, 1912, Livingston, Vol. 1, p. 59.)
Georgia City on Spring River, 15 miles northwest of Carthage, had fine water power...It had a church--Methodist, 1 schoolhouse, and a few stores. Population about 150 (1874).
Georgia City was laid out January 18, 1868 by John C. Guinn and named after his native state. William Fugate, John C. Cox and son started stores there and Georgia City for a time was a flourishing town. Some years ago (before 1912) the town plat was vacated and is now (1912) farm land, there remaining of the original town only a store and blacksmith shop. John C. Guinn, the founder of the town, was rated largest real estate owner in the county, possessing 17,000 acres. (--History of Jasper County, 1912 Vol. 1, pp. 75, 76.)
It was located at Section 4, Township 29 N, Range 33 W, on an unmarked road east of Asbury.
Galesburg was platted in 1869 by John R. Cabannis on the site of the old Talbott Mill, which was burned in 1861. Mr. Cabannis rebuilt the property, making it larger and placing therein better and more improved milling machinery. He also added to this a carding plant and his mill at once became famous. A post-office was established at the town and Mr. Cabannis was appointed postmaster. (--History of Jasper County, 1912, Livingston, Vol. 1, p. 76.)
Galesburg, on Spring River, 13 miles northwest of Carthage, had 1 woolen mill, 1 flour and saw mill, 2 stores, 1 church, Methodist, and a good school-house. Population about 200, (1874). (--Gazetteer of Missouri, p.276.)
It was located at Section 3, Township 29 N, Range 33 W, on an unmarked road west of 43.
Gulfton is at the northeast edge of Carl Junction, and is located at Section 5, Township 28 N, Range 33 W, on Highway 171.
Hell's Neck (later Neck City, q.v.)
Hell's Neck was the name of a mining camp in the bend of Spring River. It was so called because of it position, and because of the rowdy element. (--Place Names.)
Jasper was first laid out as Midway in 1868 by F. A. Hendrick and Jacob Rankin, but the plat was never recorded. First house was erected shortly after by F. A. Hendrick and the first store erected about the same time by Thomas Davis. The place was called Midway because of being equi-distant from Carthage and Lamar. A post-office was established in 1876 with Noble G. Wallar as postmaster, and it was called Jasper post-office...At that time there were only seven dwelling houses and a single store. (--History of Jasper County, 1883, Mills & Co., p. 985.)
(Also, Place Names: Gazetteer of Missouri, 1874, p.277.)
It is located at Sections 13 & 14, 23 & 24, Township 30 N, Range 31 W, on Highways H & 71.
Jenkins (also known as Jenkin's Creek)
It was a post-office 7 miles west of Sarcoxie. (--Gazetteer of Missouri, p. 277.) Jenkins, a trading-point was named for a local family. (--Place Names.)
Jones Creek and Mill
Jones Creek and Mill was northeast of Fidelity. (--History of Jasper County, 1883, Mills & Co., p.760.)
Johnson was in Joplin Township, north of Scotland. (--New Atlas of Missouri, 1874, Map #35.)
Joplin City on Joplin Creek, 13 miles southwest of Carthage and 7 miles south of Oronogo, the usual railroad station, laid off in 1871, and incorporated in 1873, has been called the Wonder of the West. Joplin is in the center of lead mines, which have contributed to its growth...
Joplin Creek divides the town into East and West Joplin. The latter was formerly known as Murphysburg, and the post-office still goes by that name (1874). (--Gazetteer of Missouri, 1874, p. 277.)
In 1839 the Rev. Harris Joplin, a Methodist minister came to Jasper County from Greene County, and built a cabin where now (1912) stands the Joplin Children's Home. There he entered about eighty acres of land on either side of the little creek from the big springs down to Joplin Creek, which took its name because its headwaters run through Mr. Joplin's farm. Thus the town of Joplin received its name from Joplin Creek.
John C. Cox was born in Burke County, North Carolina, September 6, 1811. . .In 1837 he was married to Miss Sarah Mercer, and shortly after the marriage emigrated to Jasper County, Missouri
In 1871 he decided to lay out a small town and platted on the hill, just east of some mining activities, the original town of Joplin. The plat was filed for record July 28, 1871, and lots were at once placed on the market. The first lot was bought by Henry Blackwell, Lot No. 5, Block 2, on the northwest corner of Cox and Central Avenue, on which he built a house...
During the month of July, 1871, Patrick Murphy of Carthage organized the Murphysburg Town Company, consisting of himself, his partner, W. P. Davis, C. W. Elliott and wife of Oronogo, and William Byers. A forty acre tract of land on the hill west of the creek was purchased and a town laid out and platted. The town was west of the creek and was called Murphysburg. In August Murphy and Davis commenced the erection of a store, at the corner of First and Main Streets and there opened up a general store at the completion of their building...
The two towns continued to grow...and the question was agitated of consolidating the two towns, and on February 27, 1872, a mass meeting of the citizens of both towns was held at Brazeele's Store to discuss the advisability of incorporating as a town...A committee consisted of H. Campbell, W. M. Carter, and P. Schnuar, of Murphysburg and Jesse Shortess and William Follis of Joplin, were appointed to draft and circulate petitions praying the county court to incorporate the two towns under the name Union City.
The petition was presented to the county court March 14th, and that body made an order incorporating the town of Union City, which included both Joplin and Murphysburg...
However, much dissatisfaction arose between the east and west towns, and legal action was taken. The incorporation of Union City was dissolved, and the old names of Joplin and Murphysburg were resumed...
Lone Elm was a thrifty part of Joplin situated on the hill and in the valley in the northern portion of the City of Joplin Creek, and was so called on account of a lone elm tree which stood by the wayside. During the middle and later l870's, Lone Elm contained upward of 2,500 people, and had some twenty business houses in addition to the big Granby Furnace. It was distinctly a mining community, and as time went by the houses were moved away, until now (1912) only a few of the old land marks remain and only the old Lone Elm road is left to tell the story of its once busy life.
On April 1, 1872, the post-office at Blytheville (q. v.) was discontinued and an office created for Union City. M. W. Stafford was appointed postmaster and opened the office at Murphysburg. There was much dissatisfaction in East Joplin over this change and after the dissolution of Union City an office was established in East Joplin. J. C. Orner was appointed postmaster and opened the office December, 1872. Two separate offices were maintained until 1877, when the east-side office was abolished and the two offices combined and opened at Second and Main Streets.
January, 1873, found the two towns without a local government, save the constable and justice of the peace, and both East and West Joplin immediately took steps toward establishing a municipality. At a special meeting of the county court, held January 11, 1873, two towns were organized--Joplin, including the territory east of the creek, and Murphysburg, that portion which was west of the little stream that divided the two towns...
During the meantime, however, a movement was launched to secure a special charter from the legislature and incorporate the two towns as one...
Pat Murphy, the father or Murphysburg, suggested that the united city should be called Joplin, thus yielding gracefully to the east side the sentiment of a name...
Hon. John H. Taylor and T. M. Dorsey presented the draft to the General Assembly then in session. . .and the bill became a law March 23, 1873, and from that date Joplin legally dates its birth. (--History of Jasper County, 1912, Vol. 1, pp. 143, 146, 147, 153, 155, 165 & 166.)
Joplin covers several sections in Townships 27 & 28 N, Range 33 W, on Highways 43, Business Loop I-44, and 66.
A station on the M. C. & N. W. R. R., 5 miles southeast of Carthage. (--Campbell's Gazetteer of Missouri, 1874, p.277.)
It is a trading-point named for the man who established it. (--Place Names.)
It was located at Section 18, Township 28 N, Range 30 W, on an unmarked road south of Highway F, east of 71.
It was in Union Township, approximately 4 miles southeast of Spring. (--New Atlas of Missouri, 1874, Map #35.)
La Russell is a railroad station on the Missouri Pacific R.R., which sprang up in 1905 at the coming of the White River line. The source of the name is unknown. (--Place Names.)
It is located at Section 14, Township 28 N, Range 29 W, at the junction of Highways F & V, at the Lawrence County line.
It was in Galena Township northwest of Joplin. (--New Atlas of Missouri, Map #35.)
Leadville Hollow (later Centre Creek, q. v.; then Minersville, q. v.; finally Oronogo, q. v.).
Leadville Hollow is the name of the place where lead was discovered and where Oronogo now stands. It was so named because of the lead found there. (--Place Names.)
Lehigh (Earlier Skeeterville, q. v.; and Fidelity, q. v.).
Lehigh was established in the 1890's, but after a few years it passed away. It was very likely named for Lehigh, Pennsylvania, because of the many interests. (--Place Names.)
As in the later 1860's and early 1870's the town of Fidelity had risen to considerable importance, and then declined until nothing was left of the town excepting a memory, so in the 1880's Lehigh arose, prospered, declined and disappeared from the map.
Lehigh, which during the middle 'eighties had upward of fifteen hundred inhabitants, was located about two miles southwest of Carl Junction on Center Creek. The camp, which was first called Skeeterville, sprang into notice during the early 'eighties and in 1883 was organized as a village, with Oscar De Graff as chairman of the board of trustees. . . In 1884 the town of Lehigh was organized as a city of the fourth class, with S. A. Stucky as mayor. Lehigh was a much talked of town until about 1887 when it began to decline. (--History of Jasper County, 1912, Livingston, Vol. 1, p. 315.)
Lone Elm was a thrifty part of Joplin situated on the hill and in the valley in the northern part of the city west of Joplin Creek and was so called on account of a lone elm tree which stood by the wayside. Lone Elm during the middle and later 1870's contained upward of 2,500 and the Granby Furnace. It was distinctly a mining community, and being built on mining land, as time went by the houses were moved away until now (1912) only a few land marks remain until only the Lone Elm road is left to tell the story of its life. (--History of Jasper County, 1912, Vol. 1, p. 155.)
Maple Grove, a village in the northeast part of the county, was named for the beautiful grove of maples in which it stands. (--Place Names.)
It is located at Sections 5, 6, 7 & 8, Township 29 N, Range 29 W, at the junction of Highways 37 & EE. Mail through Golden City (Barton County).
Farther down the river (from Port Royal) on the farm of Thomas Heathwood, was Marietta where also was once a store but now (1883) no more. Flat boats were launched and produce and stock were freighted down the river. The town is wholly obliterated--1883. (--History of Jasper County, 1883, Mills & Co., p.797. )
It was in Twin Grove Township. (--New Atlas of Missouri, Map #35.)
Medoc was laid out by the proprietor, William A. Allison May 14, 1867. John Enos' addition to the town of Medoc was surveyed by J. M. Dunlap, 12, 1867. It was laid out south of the base line in northwest quarter of Lot 10, Section 3, Township 29 N, Range 33 W, in 1856 (sic). There were several stores and the post-office was removed from John Gresham's house near the mouth of Duval Creek, to Medoc. J. R. Cabannis built the first store in 1858, but a Mr. Ward had a store previous, and it was called the Old Trading Post, and stood about one-half mile from Old Medoc. It was erected in 1848. Mr. Ward traded with the Indians. At that time there was no settlement between Mr. Ward's and the Osage Mission, in Kansas, and all goods were hauled from Sedalia, Pettis County, with ox teams. During the Civil War Medoc was destroyed. Mr. Cabannis was the first merchant and first postmaster. (-- History of Jasper County, 1883, Mills & Co., pp. 1031, 1032.)
Medoc was named for the Medoc tribe of Indians who lived just across the State line in Indian Territory (now Oklahoma) and often came to this place. The Postal Department spelled the word M-e-d-c-o, probably mistaking the o for an e. (--Place Names.)
Medoc was 15 miles northwest of Carthage. It contained a flouring-mill, school-house which wasalso used for church purposes, 3 stores and 1 hotel (1874). (--Gazetteer of Missouri, 1874, p.277.)
It was located at Section 35, Township 30 N, Range 33 W, on Highway N, west of 43.
In 1856 (New) Medoc was laid off about a quarter of a mile west of the old trading-point, by William A. Allison. . .In 1868 the town of about 200 population had the following industries: one saw-mill, 2 dry goods stores, 1 general store, 2 hotels, 1 meat market, 1 grocery store, 1 cooper shop and 2 blacksmith shops and wagon shops. (--History of Jasper County, 1912, Livingston, Vol. 1, p.75.)
Melugin, a station on the White River Railroad, was named for one of the road officials about 1905. (--Place Names.)
Midway was the name of a railroad station one mile south of the Midway in Barton County. It was so named because of the earlier Midway and because it had approximately the same position with reference to Lamar and Carthage as the earlier one had had. Later the name was changed to Jasper. (--Place Names.)
Midway, 11 miles north of Carthage, had 1 store and a school-house. The population was about 50, (1874). (--Gazetteer of Missouri, 1874, p.277.)
See Center Creek. (--Place Names.)
In 1869 a post-office was established and Charles M. Elliott appointed postmaster. It was now discovered that there was a town in Christian County called Minersville and as it was necessary to give the post-office another name, the post-office was called Center Creek. The name Minersville, however, still clung to the camp and letters frequently addressed to Minersville, Center Creek post-office were almost always sent to Minersville, Christian County. In order to avoid confusion the Post-Office Department asked Mr. Elliott to select a new name for the post-office and a public meeting was called at the Granby Lead and Zinc Company to discuss the subject and agree upon a suitable name. A number of names were proposed--among them Leadville, Galena and Mineral Point--it being the universal desire to have a name that in a way designated the business of the town...
Thereupon a man in the back of the room. . .arose and said "Boys by-----its ore or no go." (--History of Jasper County, 1912, Livingston, Vol. 1, p. 79.)
Murphysburg (later Joplin, q. v.).
Murphysburg, on the western side of Joplin Creek and a part of the present city of Joplin, was named for Patrick Murphy, a local land owner and business man, in 1871. (--Place Names.) See West Joplin.
At Murphysburg, in January, 1872, were: four general stores, one lumber yard, one clothing store, one livery, one meat market, one boot and shoe store, one dry goods store, three smelters, four hotels and restaurants, one billiard and pool room, one doctor, two barbers, one blacksmith and two saloons. (--History of Jasper County, 1912, Livingston, Vol. 1, p. 150.)
Neck City (earlier Hell's Neck, q. v.).
Neck City is a later name for Hell's Neck. As the town became less rowdy a change in the name was appropriate and was made. The softer part of the old name was retained and was added. (--Place Names.)
Old Sherwood (also Rural)
Among the historic old towns of Jasper County, which were destroyed during the Civil War, and are now remembered for what they once were, is the town of Old Sherwood which was built at the junction of the main traveled road running west from Webb City and the road running north from what is now (1912) called Bell Center. This town was founded in 1847. In 1856, it was formally platted and at the beginning of the Civil War had perhaps 200 inhabitants, several stores and a good brick school-house in course of erection. The town of Sherwood or Rural, as it was first called, grew up around the farm and store buildings of Judge Andrew McKee, who came to the county in an early day...
Several Negro soldiers had been killed in a skirmish at the Rader farm house near Sherwood. Their bodies, together with a man named Bishop, a Southern sympathizer whom the United States troops had killed, were placed in the Rader house, after which the structure was fired and the bodies of the eleven colored soldiers and the white man were cremated.
On the 20th day of May, 1864, a detachment of 300 Federal soldiers came over from Baxter Springs, Kansas, and burned the town of Sherwood, together with the farm houses of Southern sympathizers in the neighborhood. (The report of Major Torn Livingston was contradicted by the Federals, who lay the burning of the Negroes to the Confederate bands who retaliated. In his official statement, however, Colonel Williams reports the destruction of the town.) (--History of Jasper County, 1912, Vol. 1, pp. 39, 40, 59 & 60.)
Oregon, a trading-point in the 1850's, was named for the Oregon Territory so much in the public mind at the time. (--Place Names.)
Oregon was on the county line between Jasper and Lawrence, on Spring River, in Sarcoxie Township, approximately 10 miles north of Sarcoxie. (--New Atlas of Missouri, Map #35.)
Oronogo (first Leadvi1le Hollow, q. v.; then Center [Centre] Creek, q. v.; next Minersville, q. v.; then Oronogo)
Both local history and tradition account for the name with the following story:"At a public meeting held to change the name of Minersville, after many names Had been suggested, a man in the back of the room, well filled with the spirit of golden grain arose and said, "Boys, by-----its Ore or no go." Colonel J. M. Young, linguist, got the idea. By taking the Spanish "Oro" for ore and by dropping the "or" the word became euphonius. He pronounced it "Oronogo" and the audience accepted the name."(--Place Names.)
It is located at Sections 1 & 6, Township 28 N, Range 33 W, on Highway MM, south of 96 and west of D & DD.
Although this community is listed in History of Jasper County, 1912, Livingston, Vol. 1, it could not be located.
Parshley is an old trading-point and was named for the owner of the first store. (--Place Names.)
It was located at Sections 7 & 8, Township 27 N, Range 30 W, west of Sarcoxie.
On Spring River, about 3 miles north of Smithfield, formerly stood Port Royal, a post-office and an important trading-point with the Indians. The store was conducted by Charles Herrick in 1845 for whom the Herrick Ford was named. (--History of Jasper County, 1883, Mills & Co., p. 797.)
It was in Twin Grove Township on Spring Creek and Shoal Creek, in the southwest corner of the township. (--New Atlas of Missouri, Map #35.)
The name was transferred from Port Royal, South Carolina, because of the interest aroused in that city, by its capture by Federal forces, November 7, 1861. (--Place Names.)
Preston is 9 miles northwest of Carthage, and had 1 store a church, school-house, and hotel. Population about 75, (1874). (--Gazetteer of Missouri, 1874, p. 277.)
It is located at Section 2, Township 29 N, Range 31 W, on an unmarked road south of M. Mail through Carthage and Jasper.
Prosperity is an old trading-point. It was probably so named because or its prosperous mines. (--Place Names.)
Prosperity was the name given to a camp which grew up around the old Troup Mines. In 1899 the town had grown to 1,500. Twenty-four mining companies operated on this land, some of them famous in the mining world as big producers. (--History of Jasper County, 1912, Vol. 1, p.338.)
It is located at Sections 21, 22, 28 & 29, Township 28 N, Range 32 W, on Highway AA, south of Carterville.
Purcell, founded in 1903, was named for Sheriff James Purcell. (--Place Names; History of Jasper County, 1912, Vol. 1, p. 442.)
It is located at Sections 8 & 9, Township 29 N, Range 32 W, north of DD, west of Alba.
Reeds, a village opened up in 1896, is named for a farmer W. T. Reed, who owned the land where the depot now stands. The "S" is a remnant of a possessive form used occasionally before the name became fixed. (--Place Names.)
Reeds is a station on the Frisco R. R., 10 miles southeast of Carthage. (--Gazetteer of Missouri, 1874, p. 277.)
It is located at Sections 25 & 26, Township 28 N, Range 30 W, on Highway 37, north of I-44.
Rex City was one of the suburbs of Joplin in the mini-boom days. Its founders expected it to become the king of all the camps and named it with that idea in view, using the Latin word for king. (--Place Names.)
The City of Rural was laid out on the southwest quarter of Section 18, Township 28 N, Range 33 W, by the proprietor Daniel Hunt, March 4, 1858. (--History of Jasper County, 1883, Mills & Co., p. 1052.)
Rural was a nickname applied to Sherwood, which was just west of the present Webb City. Very likely its distance from any towns suggested the name to the people. (--Place Names.)
Sarcoxie (earlier Centerville, q. v.).
When a conflict caused Thackeray Vivion to choose a new name for his post-office, he selected Sarcoxie, in honor of a friendly Shawnee Indian Chief who lived at the spring for many years and whose name is said to have meant "rising sun". (--Place Names.)
The first marriage celebrated in the county was that of Moses Powers and Miss Boyd, which occurred in 1834. The first child born in the county was John Powers, a son of Samuel Powers.
The first store was kept by Dr. Abner Wislon and the first post-office was opened at Sarcoxie in 1833. Mail was brought from Little Pliney (sic)* on the Gasconade, one hundred fifty miles away. Travel was so arduous in the early days that a round trip to the county seat and return was a week or ten day's journey.
Up to this time Sarcoxie was called Centerville, being then at almost the geographical center of old Barry County. When the application was made for the establishment of the post-office, it was found that there was another town in Missouri called Centerville, and that it would be necessary to select another name. The old spring was known as the Sarcoxie Spring, and the old Chief Sarcoxie had lived there before the white man, so it was thought appropriate to name the new town Sarcoxie. (--History of Jasper County, 1912, Livingston, Vol. 1, pp. 8 & 9.)*Little Pliney should read Little Piney. Little Piney now is in Phelps County. At the time mentioned Little Piney was in Crawford County, on the Gasconade River near the mouth of Little Piney. (--Encyclopedia of The History of Missouri, 1901, Conard, Vol. 2, p. 188.)
There was no settlement down so far as Jasper County on Spring River until 1831, when Thackeray Vivion settled on Center Creek where Sarcoxie now stands. In 1833 a few settlements were made there, and a mill constructed, the platting of the place following as a matter of course. . .In 1834, Thackeray Vivion constructed a grist-mill at Sarcoxie where a blacksmith shop had previously been established, and latter added saw-mill machinery. Dr. Jewett's store was opened there about 1833. (--State of Missouri, History of Newton County, 1889, Goodspeed, p. 223.)
Sherwood (also Rural, q. v.).
Sherwood, which grew up in 1846 around the store of Judge Andrew McKee, just west of the present Webb City, was a flourishing village before the Civil War. It was named for an early settler there. It was also known as Rural. (--Place Names.)
The City of Sherwood, formerly Rural, was laid off on the southwest quarter of Section 18, Township 28 N, Range 33 W, by Daniel Hunt, the proprietor, and recorded April 13, 1860, by Stanfield Ross, recorder. (--History of Jasper County, 1883, Mills & County, p. 1052.)
Scotland, 7 miles south, southwest of Carthage, is a mining village, containing about 700 inhabitants, 2 smelting furnaces, 6 stores and a school-house. This is a new town, but the mines at this point are being rapidly developed and promise well, (1874). (--Gazetteer of Missouri, 1874, p.278.)
Scotland, 8 miles east of Joplin, was named in honor of Rev. Scott, who lived on the land where lead was first struck. During the middle 1870's it had upwards of 500 people and three smelters were in operation. (--History of Jasper County, 1912, Livingston, Vol. 1, p. 221.)
It is located at Sections 1 & 6 Township 27 N, Range 31 W, at the junction of Business Loop I-44 and I-44.
Skeeterville (Fidelity, q. v.; later Lehigh, q. v.)
Skeeterville was a fanciful nickname for Fidelity in its early days. It was probably named by a local joker because of the mosquitoes. (--Place Names.)
Smithfield is located in the southwest corner of Twin Grove Township; it was platted by George B. Martin, in May, 1872, and was named for David Smith, one of its earliest settlers. The original town as platted comprised fifty-five lots in the south half of the northeast quarter of Section 11, Township 28 N, Range 34 W, 50x200 feet in area. . .Smithfield is located on a level tract of prairie, bordering Center Creek and Spring River. (--History of Jasper County, 1883, Mills & Co., pp.797, 798.)
Coal and lead ore were believed to exist adjacent to it. It contained 1 flouring mill, 1 cheese factory, 1 school-house and several stores, with a population of about 450 (1874). (--Gazetteer of Missouri, 1874, p. 278.)
In 1881, it had a population of 150; it had a post-office, etc. (--Gazetteer of New Southwest, 1881, p. 1244.)
It is located at Sections 11 & 12, Township 28 N, Range 34 W, near the Kansas line. Mail through Carl Junction.
The town of Spaulding was surveyed by Elijah Lloyd, and recorded January 20, 1873, on Lot 2, in the southwest quarter of Section 31, Township 28 N, Range 33W. (--History of Jasper County, 1883, Mills & Co., p. 1052.)
Sprin was a trading-point, but the source of its name is not known. Also, the location is unknown. (--Place Names.)
Spring was a post-office 6 miles south, southwest of Carthage. (--Gazetteer of Missouri, 1874, p. 278.)
Stephens was a new mining village, 4 miles west of Joplin. The mines were said to be quite extensive, and the place contained 1 smelting furnace, 3 stores and about 800 inhabitants. (--Gazetteer of Missouri, 1874, p. 278.)
This community was mentioned on page 169 of History of Jasper County, 1912, Vol. 1, Livingston. Nothing more is known about the place.
Thams was west of Webb City, and southeast of Carl Junction.
It was located at Section 21, Township 28 N, Range 33 W.
Tuckahoe is a mining camp established in the 1870's. It is quite likely that the name came from one of the five other Tuckahoes (or Tuckahos) in the United States. (--Place Names.)
It is located at the west edge of Webb City, at Sections 22 & 27, Township 28 N, Range 33 W, north of Turkey. Mail through Joplin.
Turkey was north of Joplin and west of Webb City, at Section 27, Township 28 N, Range 33 W, west of Highway 43.
Twin Groves (Village)
Twin Groves (Village) is a trading-point named for the adjacent Twin Groves, (q. v.). (--Place Names.)
It was a post-office on the M. C. & N. W. R. R., 13 miles west of Carthage, (1874). (--Gazetteer of Missouri, 1874, p. 278.)
The winter of 1871-72 came to be known as the Reign of Terror. Street fights were common and occasionally a shooting scrap. ..However there were but few murders, in either Joplin or Murphysburg...
The question was now agitated of consolidating the two towns and on February 27, 1872, a mass meeting was held to discuss the matter of incorporating as a town...A committee was appointed to draft and circulate petitions praying the court to incorporate the two towns under the name of Union City. The petition was presented to the county court March 14th and that body made an order incorporating the town of Union City, which included both Joplin and Union City. . .The incorporation of Union City brought the Reign of Terror to an end. . .Some of the merchants of East Joplin refused to pay an occupation tax and one of the saloon keepers took the matter to court. . .The case was taken to Barton County on a change of venue and during the month of December, 1872, was tried and decided against the town. The incorporation of Union City was dissolved and the old names of Joplin and Murphysburg were resumed. (--History of Jasper County, 1912, Livingston, Vol. 1., pp. 153, 154, 155.)
Valley Forge was located at the confluence of Spring River and White Oak Fork of Spring River. (--New Atlas of Missouri, 1874, p. 35.)
Waco was laid off in May, 1878, by Charles Fagerberg and is situated in the northeast quarter of the northeast quarter of Section 14, Township 29 N, Range 34 W. . .There was (1883) one school-house, a grocery store and a drug store. The town was first called Loshick and was changed by the people when they petitioned for a post-office. Robt. John built the first house, was the first postmaster and had the first store. (--History of Jasper County, 1883, Mills & County, p.799.)
It was probably named for Waco, Texas, because there was a great deal of trade and travel between this section of Missouri and the central part of Texas, in which Waco is an enterprising old town. (--Place Names.)
Waco is near the State line, at Sections 11 & 14, Township 29 N, Range 34 W, at the end of highway KK.
John C. Webb, a native of Tennessee, entered two hundred acres of land where Webb City now stands. While plowing corn in June, 1873, he plowed up a chunk of lead. In the fall he sank a shaft, but the water closed him out. The next year he put out a crop, bought machinery to pump out the water, went to work in the old shaft and in a few days he took out one piece of lead weighing 1,000 pounds. In July he platted the town to which his name was given. (--Place Names.)
It covers several sections in Township 28 N, Range 33 W, on Highways 66, D & 171.
West Joplin (later, Joplin, q. v.).
West Joplin, established about 1850 when Judge John C. Cox opened up lead mines near it, was the name by which people designated that part of the present city that lies on the west side of Joplin Creek. (--Place Names.)
Zincite (earlier Bellville, q. v.).
When Bellville got its post-office it came under the name of Zincite, suggested by the mineral in the region. (--Place Names.)
Duval Township was organized February 7, 1873. John Duval settled on what was known as the John Gresham farm, at Section 1, Township 29 N, Range 33 W. He settled at the mouth of Duval Creek. The first school-house was erected on Section 1, Township 29 N, Range 33 W in June, 1848, and the first school was taught the following winter. (--History of Jasper County, Mills & Co., p. 1019.)
The territory now embraced in Galena Township was at first included in Center Creek Township, which was one of the three townships in which the county was divided by an act of the County Court, March 8, 1841, and the voting place was at the home of Andrew Kerr, Esq. August 23, 1847, the voting place was changed to the store of Andrew McKee, in the same township. . .The first post-office in the township was known as Rural and was kept at the residence of Mr. McKee, who was the first postmaster. (--History of Jasper County, Mills & Co., p. 1053.)
Jackson Township was out off from Marion in 1847 and had been known as Robinson and Center Townships. Phoenix lead and zinc mines formerly known as Burch Mines were located in the southwest corner. First discovered in 1872. (--History of Jasper County, Mills & Co., pp. 756, 757.)
Jasper Township was laid off and named August 23, 1847. . .The territory at that time being embraced in the townships of Center Creek and North Fork. . .The boundaries were fixed February 7, 1873.
A Mr. Bush (Christian name not given) planted the first crop in the northwest quarter of the northeast quarter of Section 26, Township 30 N, Range 33 W, in. the year of 1830. . .Charles Merrick came from Connecticut in 1849 and established a trading-post near what is now known as Merrick's Ford on Spring River, southwest of Georgia City. George W. Browne established a trading-post in 1858 where Georgia City now (1883) is. Mr. Ward established a trading-post where Medoc now (1883) is. (--History of Jasper County, Mills & Co., pp. 1030, 1031.)
Judge John C. Cox. . .settled on Turkey Creek in 1838, within half a mile of his later residence, to which he came in 1841. Shortly after the Blytheville post-office was established in his house, Judge Cox was commissioned postmaster, and continued in that position for nearly thirty years. . . .The first regular school-house in the township. ..was taught by Charles C. Harris in 1840. (Location unknown).
This territory was in 1841 a portion of Center Creek Township which included several townships as they are now bounded and in 1873 the present township of Joplin was struck off and called Dubuque, but was changed to Joplin Township on February 21, 1873. (--History of Jasper County, Mills & Co., p. 606.)
Lincoln Township was laid off February 7, 1873, and named for President Abraham Lincoln. . . William Wilson immigrated to America from County Down, Ulster, Ireland, and stopped for a short time in Pennsylvania, but came to Jasper County in 1854 and settled on Section 5, Township 28 N, Range 28 W. . .The first school-house was erected in 1858 on Section 6, Township 29 N, Range 29 W. . .The first post-office was established at Maple Grove in 1879. The first house in the township was built by Henry Baker. It was a small log cabin. . . (--History of Jasper County, Mills & Co., pp. 924, 925.)
McDonald Township was cut off from Sarcoxie Township, July 18, 1854. . .on May 26, 1868, McDonald Township was made to include all the present township of Lincoln, the east part of both Sheridan and Madison Townships, and all that part of McDonald which lies north of Spring River.
In the spring of 1832, William Brown settled on the north side of Spring River, a mile and a half below Bower's Mill where he died in 1844. (--History of Jasper County, Mills & Co., pp. 895, 896.)
February 17, 1873, Madison Township was laid off. . .The first settlement on Spring River in Jasper County was made in 1832, within the limits of what is now Madison Township. The name of this pioneer is not known. It is known, however, that he located near a spring on the Nelson Knight farm where he lived a few years. About the year 1836 he died and was buried on the hillside near his cabin. . .As of 1883 there had never been a post-office within the limits of the township owing to the nearness of Carthage and other offices surrounding. . . (--History of Jasper County, Mills & Co., pp. 861, 862.)
Marion Township, which had been part of Spring River and Center Creek, in November, 1841, was set apart and named Marion. Previous to this time, the whole county had been divided into three townships, North Fork, Spring River and Center Creek.
By referring to the county records we find the following order respecting the naming of Carthage: "Ordered that the seat of justice in and for Jasper County should be known and designated by the name of Carthage, March 28, 1842."
Among the early settlers of Marion Township was Henry Piercy, who located on Spring River, in 1833, at the springs near the corner of the present (1883) Carthage Woolen Mills. (--History of Jasper County, Mills & Co., pp. 778, 779.)
Mineral Township is bounded on the north by Duval; east by Marion; south by Joplin; and west by Twin Grove Townships. Among the earliest settlers was James N. Langley, who settled in Section 17, southwest quarter of the northwest quarter and the southeast quarter of the southwest quarter of Section 21, in November, 1847... (--History of Jasper County, Mills & Co., p. 833.)
Preston Township was laid off in 1868, and included much territory west of its present (1883) boundaries. It was organized February 7, 1883. . .Among the early settlers in 1840-41 were Solomon Pruett, who 5ettled just below Preston and Jacob Dozy, who located a short distance north of Preston. (--History of Jasper County, Mills & Co., pp. 983, 984.)
Sarcoxie Township was named for the Indian Chief Sarcoxie. It was first laid off March 25, 1847; again defined in May, 1868 when the territory embraced had varied considerably from its present (1883) area.
Here the first settlements in what is now Jasper County were made. . .Thackeray Vivion located at Sarcoxie in 1831, coming from Tennessee, and died in the western part of Jasper County. .The first post-office in the whole southwest, was at Sarcoxie in 1832-33. The first hotel was kept by a Mr. Holman, in Sarcoxie. The first store was kept by Abner Wilson in 1833. There were two post-offices in the township in 1833, at Sarcoxie and Reed's. It is thought the post-office at Sarcoxie was established in 1833. (--History of Jasper County, Mills & Co., pp. 657, 658, 660, 661.)
Sheridan Township was named for Gen. Phil Sheridan, and was organized February 7, 1873...William Matthews was one of the first settlers in the township and located on Coon Creek. (--History of Jasper County, Mills & Co., pp. 955, 956.)
Twin Groves is a name given to two very conspicuous small groves in the Prairie. (--Place Names.)
Twin Grove Township
Twin Grove Township as now (1883) known is bounded on the north by Jasper Township, on the east by Mineral, on the south by Galena, on the west by Cherokee County, Kansas. By referring to the county records of 1868, we find that there was no township as Twin Grove, but that the county south of a line running west from Section 22 in Twin Grove Township and including the present township of Galena was known as Center Creek Township, with a voting place at Sherwood, a town destroyed during the Civil War. (--History of Jasper County, 1883, Mills & Co., p. 796.)
Union Township was organized February 7, 1873. It was created by union of tracts of land from Sarcoxie and Jackson Townships. . .Named changed from Jenkins Creek, February 22, 1873, by order of the County Court... (--History of Jasper County, Mills & Co., pp. 718, 719.)
Springfield-Greene County Library