Baring is in the northwest portion of the county, on the Santa Fe Railroad. (--The State of Missouri, in 1904, 419.)Bee Ridge
It is an incorporated village...six and a half miles northeast of Edina, the county seat. It had a good public school, two churches, a bank, a newspaper, the "Herald", two hotels, and about twenty other business places. Population, 1899 (estimated), 400. (--Encyclopedia of the History of Missouri, 1901, Conard, Vol. I 148.)
It is situated on Section 23, 26, Township 63 N, Range 12 W at the junction of 15 & K. (--General Highway Map of Knox County, issued by The Missouri State Highway Dept., 4-1-66. Unless otherwise noted, all map locations are from this map.)
Bee Ridge was a post-office nine miles from Edina. (--Campbell's Gazetteer of Missouri, 1874, 294.)Colony
It was situated on Section 13, Township 62, Range 10 W in Bee Ridge Township. (--New Atlas of Missouri, 1874, Campbell, Map 13.)
The origin of the village of Colony is somewhat uncertain, but it was laid out many years ago (as of 1887), although never regularly platted. Some of the first settlers of the county lived in the neighborhood, and it is probable that the village had no definite origin. (--History of Knox County, 1887, Goodspeed, 739.)
In 1864, a band of robbers was responsible for the plundering and burning of McMurry's store at Colony. A party visited the store after night fall, seized Mr. McMurry, held him a close prisoner, while they took such goods as they wnted, and loaded them into wagons and hauled them away. Then, on leaving, the robbers set the building on fire and left it in flames. Mr. McMurry was a Southern sympathizer, and it was generally believed that this robbery was perpetrated by ex-members of the Militia. (--History of Knox County, 1887, Goodspeed, 707.)
It was a post-office 18 miles from Edina. (--Campbell, 294.)
It is situated on Section 22, Township 63 N, Range 10 W in Colony Township, at the junction of K & V. (--New Atlas of Missouri, Map 13; Map of Knox County.)
Mail is via Rutledge, Scotland County; population 50. (--Standard Reference Guide of Missouri, 1974, Rand, McNally.)
Edina (elevation 815 feet)
The town of Edina was laid off by William J. Smallwood in November, 1839. The declaration of intent was made before J. H. Blair, clerk of the Lewis County Court, on the 18th of the month. The land (west half of the southwest quarter of Section 18, Township 62, Range 11), had been entered by Mr. Smallwood the previous September. The survey was made by Hon. Stephen W. B. Carnegy, then of Palmyra, and now (1887) a resident of Canton...Mr Carnegy named the town. He was of Scottish ancestry...He had surveyed a town in Scotland County, which he called Edinburg, and was allowed to name Mr. Smallwood's town, which he called Edina, the classic title of Edinburg, and thus, practically, he named both towns Edinburg.Fabius
"Jack" Smallwood...had visions...and he realized that in time a new county would be laid off in this quarter, and he knew, too, the boundaries thereof would be substantially as they were afterward fixed. If, therefore, a new town were to be laid off at or very near the center of the new county, it would in all probability become the county seat. The new county was laid off, and Edina became the county seat.
The first store of any kind in the place was established by James A. Reid, in 1840. It was a small log building on the northeast corner of the public square (Lot 1, Block 13), and was occupied by Mr. Reid, as a dwelling, and afterward, when additions were made it was converted into a hotel...Mr.Reid's stock in trade was small, consisting of a wagon load of merchandise of all kinds: some coffee, sugar, and salt, a few spices, and other groceries, half a dozen bolts of calico, "domestics", and a small assortments of notions, some powder and lead, a little hardware and cutlery, and a barrel of whiskey...
In the year 1842, a post-office was established at Edina, with James A. Reid, postmaster. The mail came once a week from Palmyra, by way of Newark, and James Adams was the carrier. The compensation of the postmaster the first year was $1 a month, and it is hardly probable that the receipts paid the salary. There were a few citizens living in the place, and the patrons, although from a wide radius of county, were not numerous.
The first store worthy of the name was not put into operation until in 1844, when Patrick Cooney sent P. B. Linville in charge of a considerable stock of goods all the way from Perry County, Ohio, to Edina...
In 1845 Edina was made the county seat of the new county of Knox, and the town experienced something of a boom. (--History of Knox County, 1887, Goodspeed, 734, 735. See Campbell, 294; Conard, Vol II, 352.)
It is situated on Secs. 18, 19, Township 62 n, and Section 13, & 24, Township 62 N, Range 11 & 12 W, at the junction of EE, 6, & P.
Fabius was situated on Section 3 & 8, Township 63 N, Range 11 W on Y east of Greensburg.
Fenway is located in the northeast corner of the county near Clark County line. (--Map of Missouri, 1927, Rand, McNally.)Forest Springs
Mail is via Canton, Lewis County (rural) no population. (--Rand, McNally, 1974.)
It is believed that the discoverer of the mineral springs in the northeastern part of Know County, now (1887) bearing the name of Forest Springs, was Dr. Polonzo Conditt, of Lewis County. In 1835 he visited the locality, tasted the water, and carved his name on a stone near the fountain. The land was entered by W. T. Morris in 1838. For many years the place was simply known as the Sulphur Springs, but in April, 1882, it was regularly laid out by Wm. Johnson, and an attempt was made to give it the character of a health resort… (--Knox Co., 731).Goodland
Goodland, eighteen miles southwest of Section 25, Township 60, Range 12, in Salt River Township, was formerly a place of trade, but now (1887) has merely a local habitation and a name. (--Knox Co., 740; Campbell, 294).Greensburg
It was situated on Sec. 25, Twp. 60 N, R. 13 W in Salt River Township. (--New Atlas of Mo., Map 13).
There is a Goodland (East End) in Iron County. (--Rand, McNally, 1974).
The site of the village of Greensburg, Section 2, Township 63, Range 12, was entered by Peter J. Sowers, a Marion County speculator, andothers, in 1852. The village was laid out by Joseph Fetters and others in April, 1859. The survey was made by James March, county surveyor, April 18 and 19. Morrey & Forrester had a workshop here in 1858 (sic), and soon after a store was established. It had never risen much above its condition prior to the (Civil) War. (--Knox Co., 736).Jeddo
It was a post-office ten miles north from Edina. (--Campbell, 294).
It is situated on Secs. 2, 3, Twp. 63 N, R. 12 W near Scotland County line, at the junction of C, Y & 15.
Jeddo, an ancient village, which formerly stood on the county line, on the northeast quarter of Section 12, Township 61, Range 10, four miles southeast of Knox City, was regularly laid out prior to the Civl War. The site is now (1887) a field. (--Knox Co., 739).Kenwood
Kenwood is in the northwest corner of the county near Adair County line. (--Map of Missouri, 903, Geo. P. Crum).Knox
It is situated on Sec. 7, Twp. 62 N, R. 12 W on the Santa Fe Railroad, north of Hurdland.
Mail is via Hurdland, (rural), no population. (--Rand, McNally, 1974).
Railroad name for Knox City. (--Rand, McNally, 1974).Knox City (elevation 765 feet)
The origin of Knox City was of comparative recent date. In September, 1872, the north half of the southeast quarter of Section 28, Township 62, Range 10 was surveyed and laid out as the town of “Knox,” by Chas. S. Wade and his wife, Melissa, and C. M. Pomeroy. December 1, 1881, Nimrod Barnes made an addition on the half of the southeast quarter of the same section, thereby increasing the plat to one quarter of a section, or 160 acres. A later addition was made January 11, 1882, by Frederic Layman.
Knox City was at first called “Myrtle,” the “Knox,” and finally it received its present name. At one time it had a newspaper, the 1887 Knox County Independent, of Edina. It was incorporated and had a population of perhaps 500. (--Knox Co., 737).
Knox City (Myrtle), on the Q. M. & P. R. R., nine miles east of Edina, was laid off in 1872 and had one store. (--Campbell, 294).
It had three churches, a public school, bank, hotel, and about twenty stores in different lines of trade. Population, 1899, (estimated) 500. (--Conard, Vol. III, 558).
It is situated on Sec. 28, Twp. 62 N, R. 10 W at the junction of V & 6.
See Millport. (--Knox Co., 736, 737).Millport
There is a Milford in Barton County. (--Rand, McNally, 1974).
The village of Millport was originally called Milford. The site, southeast quarter of the northwest quarter of Section 14, Township 63, Range 11, was entered by George Wagner, in May, 1840, but previous to this date Stephen Cooper’s mill had caused the locality to be known as Milford. Stephen Cooper and Redding Roberts were the first residents here. In 1846 Harvey H. Beach kept a licensed tavern at Milford, and there was a store, blacksmith shop and the mill. The latter institution was not in continuous operation, however, owing to the protracted seasons of low water in the Fabius. The village was laid out in July, 1858, and called Millport, James March, surveyor. In 1887 the village contained a population of 150. (--Knox Co., 736, 737; Campbell, 294).Milltown
It was situated on Sec. 14, Twp. 63 N, R. 11 W on M north of K.
Milltown is now a part of Edina. (--Knox Co., 678).Motter
Motter was on the northern edge of the county, near Scotland County line. (--Map of Missouri, 1917, Rand, McNally).Muddy Fork
Muddy Fork was situated on Sec. 24, Twp. 61 N, R. 13 W. (--New Atlas, Map 13).Myrtle
See Knox City. (--Campbell, 294).Newark
There is a Myrtle in Oregon County. (--Rand, McNally, 1974).
The oldest town in Knox County is Newark, which was laid off in the month of June, 1836…The site was entered by Sidney P. Hanes, April 7, 1836 (east half of the southeast quarter of Section 14), and by John Watts (east half of the northeast quarter of Section 22), November 26, 1835, and the original plat comprised a part of the east half of the southeast quarter of Section 14, Township 60, Range 10, and twenty acres off the north end of the east half of the northeast quarter of Section 23, Township 60, Range 10, “in the county of Lewis,” to which the territory then belonged…Novelty
The village grew to be a respectable trading point, but the “constant stream” proved to be inconstant after all. The South Fabius failed to furnish sufficient power to drive the machinery of Fresh’s mill, near by and no manufacturing establishments of importance could be operated profitably, and so none was built.
R. H. Cochran & Co. had a store in Newark as early as in August, 1837, for at that date an election was held there, and Mr. Cochran was one of the voters…
In August, 1838, B. F. Snyder kept a grocery in Newark, and the village had perhaps 200 inhabitants…The Civil War left Newark much the worse for it. The village had been robbed, a battle fought in its streets, and many of its citizens had been swallowed up in the conflict…
Newark was incorporated by the county court in 1872…In former times the name was often written “New Ark,” but both in the original plat and in the order of incorporation it is spelled Newark. (--Knox Co., 731, 732, 733).
It had three churches, Baptist, Methodist Episcopal, and Presbyterian, a public school, bank, and about fifteen other business places, including a brickyard, and stores and shops. Population, 1899 (estimated) 300. (--Conard, Vol. IV, 549).
It is situated on Sec. 13, 14, 23 & 24, Twp. 60 N, R. 10 W at the junction of 156, KK & E, near Lewis County line.
The founder of the village of Novelty was Nars W. Hunter, who, in June, 1857, laid out the little town on Section 11, Township 60, Range 12. The land was entered by Clary Pulson, in October, 1836. The place was long a well known trading point and was raided during the Civil War…In 1887 it was a considerable village, with a good trade, and intelligent and enterprising class of citizens, an excellent school, lodges and churches, etc. (--Knox County, 739).
It is situated on Secs. 11 and 14, Twp. 60 N, R. 12 W on 156 west of 151.
Owl Creek was a post-office 14 miles southeast from Edina. (--Williams, 294).Plevna
Plevna is in the southeast portion of the county near Shelby County line. (--Williams, 419).Sulphur Springs
It is situated on Sec. 26, Twp. 60 N, R. 11 W on BB between 156 and Shelby County line.
See Forest Springs.
There is a Sulphur Springs in Jefferson County. (--Rand, McNally, 1974).
Knox County Table of Contents
Local History Home