Abo (Applied for name of Fish--Sgt. Groves)
This was a post-office in the northeast corner of Laclede Township since 1891. It was a famous fishing resort, named by Jesse Ballinger who operated a mill at the place. He believed that Abo was an Indian word for house orhome. (--Place Names of Five Central Counties of Southwest Missouri.)Agnes
Abo was four miles northeast of Drynob. There was a post-office there in 1901-1902. (--Missouri Manual, 1901-1902, p. 381. Map of Western States, Rand, McNally & County, 1911.)
A discontinued post-office, (1897-1932) in south central Franklin Township, named for the wife of Charles Handley. (--Place Names.)Applings
A long-abandoned hamlet in Osage Township, listed as a post-office in 1861. Named for J. W. Applings, a pioneer. (--Place Names.)Atchley
An abandoned village in Lebanon Township, named for John Eubank Atchley, native of Virginia who came to the region in 1836. (--Place Names.)Atoka
A discontinued post-office, 1888-1910, in Smith Township, named by the postmaster for Atoka County in Oklahoma, his home. According to Hodge, Atoka is the name of the extinct Crane Clan of the Hopi tribe. Read explains that the source of the name is Choctaw -- hitoka or hotoka, "ball ground". Hitoka was likewise popular as the name of one who had become famous as a ball player...according to Gould, the Oklahoma county was named for a noted Choctaw, Captain Atoka, a famous ball player. (--Place Names.)Baden
Baden was changed to Dove, (q.v.) 1894-1899. (--Sergeant Groves.)
See Orla. (--Place Names.)Bath
A discontinued post-office, (1888-1904) in Gasconade Township. It was named by the Clanton family, for Bath County, Kentucky, their old home. (--Place Names.)Bellefonte
A discontinued post-office, (1860-1876) in Osage Township. This name was adapted from Bellefontaine district in St. Louis, which is French for beautiful fountain. (--Place Names.)Bennett Spring (Changed from Brice -- Sgt. Groves)
Prior to the date above mentioned Bellefonte was in Pulaski County. (--Sergeant Groves.)
A post-office and spring on the border of Dallas and Laclede Counties. It takes its name from a former mill owner, and has long been a land mark in the country side. As early as 1805, the place appears on maps, listed as Big Spring. The term was, no doubt, descriptive of its size. In 1849, or soon after, James Brice secured a patent to the land and the place became known as Brice Spring or Bryce Spring. By 1885 Brice had built a mill and there has been one at the spring since that time, although the present mill is used only to generate electricity. Brice's daughter married a W. S. Bennett and the Bennetts ran the mill, which then became known as Bennett's Mill. When the post-office was established in 1901, it was named Brice and that name was used until February 1, 1939, when the name was changed to avoid confusion. The state park which was at the place in 1923 was named Bennett Springs, and the public was unable to remember that the post-office had a different name. The spring is the setting for Harold Bell Wright's book, The Calling of Dan Matthews. Mr. Wright was for a number of years a minister in Dallas and Laclede Counties. (--Place Names.)
Bennett Springs is located at Section 30, Township 35 N, Range 17 W, on Highway 64, at the Dallas County line. (--Highway Map of Laclede County, as issued by The Missouri State Highway Department, 9-20-65. Unless otherwise noted, all map locations are from this map.)
Bidwell (formerly Partlow)
A discontinued post-office, (1890-1918) in West Auglaize Township. The village was first called Partlow (1890-1896) for J. W. Partlow, an early lawyer who was county court justice, and interested in the building of a Railroad, which was never completed. The mail was constantly mixed with Portland; so, A. V. Davenport, the postmaster, changed the name to that of his wife's family. (--Place Names.)Bradfield
It is shown on a Map of Western States, 1911, Rand, McNally & County.
It was located at Section 8, Township 36 N, Range 16 W, approximately one-half mile west of Highway 5.
This was a post-office, (1884-1886) near Morgan. (--Sergeant Groves.)Brice (changed to Bennett's Spring, 1939)
See Bennett's Spring, or Bennett Spring. There was a post-office at Brice in 1901-1902. (--Missouri Manual, for those years, p. 382.)Bright
This was a post-office from 1893-1895. (--Sergeant Groves.) (Location is unknown.)Brownfield
A post-office in the east part of Gasconade Township since 1933, named for Riley Brownfield, postmaster. (--Place Names.)
Brownfield was moved to Laclede County from Pulaski County, in 1930. (--Sergeant Groves.)
On the 10th day of September, 1971, the Judges of the Laclede County Court ordered that the Brownfield Election precinct be re-established, in order that the voters may vote at either the Brownfield Election Precinct or the Nebo Election Precinct. (--Lebanon Daily Record, September 16, 1971.)
This is a station on the St. Louis and San Francisco Railroad, nine miles southwest of Lebanon. (--State of Missouri, History of Laclede County, Goodspeed Bros., 1889, p. 70. Gazetteer of Missouri, 1874, Campbell, p. 297.)Bug Town
Brush Creek is a hamlet in the southwest part of Lebanon Township, which is a flag stop on the Frisco R.R., and has been a post-office since 1860. It was named for the stream. (--History of Laclede, 1889, p. 70.) (--Place Names.)
Brush Creek was an important shipping-point, when railroad ties, cordwood, canned tomatoes and other products were shipped in large quantities from that place. E. Speakman was a general merchant there, also postmaster and Frisco agent. (--Mrs. W. Township. Moye, (daughter). Phillipsburg, Missouri.)
Brush Creek was located at Section 32, Township 34 N, Range 16 W.
(Mrs. W. T. Moye, of Phillipsburg, Missouri, Rt. 1, has sent this additional information concerning Brush Creek.)
"Brush Creek, a small village, is located five miles west of Lebanon, on the Frisco Railroad. (She says): "Times have changed; there is no longer a store or post-office and the Frisco has taken up all tracks except the mail line over which there are several freight trains each day, but no passenger service.
"It is located about one and one-half miles north of the mentioned Dry and Dusty spot, (q.v.) in the old Springfield road, which is no longer in existence, being taken up by Highway 66 and Interstate 44.
"The Methodist Church, which was built in 1908, has been torn down and moved away. So all I can say, it is just a few homes--several vacant buildings and a memory of the past.
"The Dry and Dusty School is still in existence, with 2 teachers, and 60 students this year, but it is soon to be consolidated into the Lebanon School System."
See Success School House. (--Place Names.)Caffeyville
Caffeyville is a store and gas station erected in the late 1920's when Highway 66 was built and is named for the family who operated them, the Caffeys. (Location is unknown.) (--Courtesy of the Kinderhook Regional Library.)
This town was twenty-two miles southeast of Lebanon, on the Gasconade River; it had a good schoolhouse and a Masonic Hall, and was the center of an extensive mineral district. The population in 1874, was about 100. (--Gazetteer of Missouri, 1874, p. 297.)Conway
It had a general store, kept by a Mr. Wolf, and a drug store kept by a Dr. Wright; a saw and grist mill, by William Bowman, and a blacksmith shop. (--State of Missouri, History of Laclede County, Goodspeed Bros., 1889, p. 71.)
The post-office is listed on page 383 of Missouri Manual, 1901-1902.
Competition, on the Osage Fork of the Gasconade in Franklin Township, twnety-two miles southeast of Lebanon, had a post-office since 1867. The first settler, R.L. Nelson, came in 1852 and named the place Newburg, of obvious significance. A man named Roar built a store and a mill close to the same vicinity. During the Civil War Roar was killed. After the war the people voted to erect a school and Nelson's place was chosen from among the three. There was already a post-office Newburg so the people decided to call the place Competition. (--Place Names.)
It is located at Section 13, Township 32 N, Range 14 W, at the junction of Highway O & The post-office was discontinued prior to 1905..
Conway is on the Frisco Railroad, sixteen miles southwest of Lebanon; it was laid out in 1869 by the railroad company and Hanson's addition there-to was laid out in 1882.
The first store in the place was opened in 1869 by Irvin and Knight.
The present (1889) business of the town consists of the following: General Merchandise, Drugs, Tinner, Shoemaker, Artist, Roller Flouring Mills, Saddler and Harness, Hotel, Brick-yard, Post-office and three doctors. (--State of Missouri, History of Laclede County, Goodspeed Bros., 1889, p. 71.)
Conway is a town in Union Township, and it was laid out in 1869. It has been a post-office since 1876. IT was named for the first storekeeper. When the railroad came in 1869 they built the station about one-half mile from the original store and called it New Conway. Gradually the two settlements grew together and the "New" was dropped. (--Place Names.)
It is located at Section 8, Township 32 N, Range 17 W, on Highways Y, CC, & The post-office was discontinued prior to 1905..
A village in Smith Township, now non-existent. It was named for W. C. Carroll, who had an apple orchard there. (--Place Names.)Case
A post-office thirteen miles north of Lebanon. (--Gazetteer of Missouri, 1874, p. 297.)Cave Springs
Case was a town in Hooker Township; it was a post-office from 1870-1876. Now has entirely disappeared. Named for John Case, an early settler, who, in 1830 drove the first 4-horse team from the region of St. Louis. (--Place Names.)
In Washington Township, a number of springs flow from a large cave, considered the best cave in the county. Hence the name.Cave Springs post-office
Cave Springs, a post-office in Washington Township in 1837 when the county was part of Pulaski. It was named for the springs, (q.v.). (--Place Names.)Celeste
It was in the northwest part of Gasconade Township. It was a post-office from 1900 to 1905. (--Place Names.)Colenso
It was located in Smith Township. A post-office, (1901-1910). Nothing could be learned of the origin of the name. (--Place Names.)Debery
A village between Mill Creek and Dry Auglaize in Auglaize Township. It was named for John Debery, a leading citizen. (--Place Names.)
A town in the central part of Auglaize Township. Probably named for Delmar Avenue in St. Louis. (--Place Names.)Delto (later changed to Lyons)
This was a post-office, (1874-1913). Later it was changed to Lyons, (q.v.). (--Sergeant Groves.)Dove (formerly known as Baden)
A discontinued post-office, (1900-1929) in Auglaize Township, named because the office was located near Davis Pond, which was a favorite place for doves. Dove is a term used in the locality for pigeons. (--Place Names; Sergeant Groves.)Drew
Now the mail is served from Lebanon. Dove is located at Section 3, Township 35 N, Range 16 W, on Highway 5, approximately 5 miles north of Lebanon.
A discontinued post-office, (1895-1920) in the central part of Franklin Township, named for Section. E. Drew, an old settler. (--Place Names.)Dry Glaize
A post-office, kept at a private house ten miles north of Lebanon, from 1867-1910. In Auglaize Township, named for the stream. (--Place Names.)
Formerly Dry Glaize was in Camden County. (--Sergeant Groves.)
Dry and Dusty
While this is not a town, still it deserves a place in this Directory.Drynob
In the early 1900's, men of the Union Army used to gather at the post-office in Brush Creek to await the arrival of the mail train from which they would receive their government checks. Many were the stories told and retold by the "Old Soldiers" as they exchanged memories.
Most of these men were native residents of the community. However, a newcomer by the name of William Brannick, one day asked: "How did Dry and Dusty get that name?" Sol Hopkins, Henderson Selvidge and Jim Moore were the "old-timers" present at the time, and this is the background story they told in answer to Brannick's question:
Supply headquarters for the Union armies were at Rolla and Springfield, Missouri. As supplies were sent from one headquarters to the other, the road used was the "Old Wire Road" through Laclede County. This road was later known as the Springfield Road.
At a point about eight miles southwest of Lebanon was located the Stage Coach Inn and the relay horse and wagon stables. This point is now known as the Bert Benton farm. A portion of the Inn still stands, but all evidence of the barns have long since gone. Springs of very fine water were located near-by for use of man and beast.
As wagon-trains were enroute to Springfield from Rolla, the road led through this particular section and many times, in extreme wet weather, passage through was something seldom accomplished without much help.
The soil was of such consistency that, when wet, there seemed to be no bottom to the mud. The army wagons would mire down. The men would cut brush and trees and fill the trail in an effort to pull through. Often lead scouts would be sent on horseback ahead to the relay stables for fresh horses to help the wagons through. So this stretch of road became known as the wet muddy holes.
Likewise, in dry weather, the dust seemed equally deep and disagreeable and was known as Dry and Dusty. In later years it was known as Hurd Flat and was located immediately back of the Specialty Print Shop and the former Glen Kelley home.
Eventually the early settlers organized a school district and a log building was erected. Naturally, a name was discussed and since this particular area on the Springfield Road was about the center of the proposed school district, and was well known and easily located, the name Dry and Dusty was chosen.
Earliest records of the school date from 1903. (--Mrs. W.T. Moye, in Lebanon Daily Record, Vol. XLV. Date not shown.)
Once she reported a freak rainfall at Dry and Dusty during one of the drought periods. Newspapers from coast to coast carried this report under the heading, "It's Wet and Muddy at Dry and Dusty."
Drynob was a village and post-office in Osage Township since 1876. It was named for its location on a bald hill, called a knob, above the Osage Fork. (--Place Names.)Eldridge
There was a post-office here in 1901-1902. (--Missouri Manual for those years, p. 384.)
This town lies in Hooker Township, about twelve miles northeast of Lebanon. John Owensby opened the first store in the place in 1884. It now, (1889) contains one general store, a drug store, post-office and blacksmith shop. (--State of Missouri, History of Laclede County, Goodspeed Bros., 1889, p. 72.)Falcon
A village in Eldridge Township (formed from the north half of Hooker Township) twelve miles northwest of Lebanon. Founded in 1884, but a post-office in 1876. It was named for S.N. Eldridge an old settler. (--Place Names.)
Eldridge is located at Section 25, Township 36 N, Range 17 W, on Highways E & NN.
A village in Gasconade Township. A post-office since 1910. Named by the Postal Department. William Woods was the postmaster at the time, and he has given no reason for the name selected.Fate
There was a post-office here in 1968; population of 10. (--Rand, McNally Commercial Atlas, 1968, p. 286.)
A discontinued post-office, (1910-1924) in Hooker t,named for the postmaster, Lafayette Thraillkill, whose name was shortened to Fate to suit the dimensions of the postal "ring" or stamp. (--Place Names.)
First Railroad Addition
An addition to Lebanon, laid out in 1869, when the railroad reached the town, but failed to come closer thanone and one-half miles. The town has now moved to the railroad addition, and the old town is practically deserted. So named because the railroad was the cause of the addition. (--Place Names.).Forkner's Hill (moved to Webster County, 1871)
This town is one of several which have been claimed by more than one county. At various times, it has been claimed by Dallas, Webster and Laclede Counties. Since it is on the county lines of the various counties named, the reason is obvious. At present, it is listed in Webster County. It was named for a pioneer family -- it is listed in Laclede in 1860 and 1871, and in Dallas from 1873 to 1886. (--Place Names; Sergeant Groves. See, also, A Directory of Towns, Villages and Hamlets, Past and Present, of Webster County. -- Moser.)Fyan
A village in Gasconade Township; a post-office since 1876. Named for Robert W. Fyan (1830-1901) of Springfield, raised in Lebanon in 1864. Fyan was later a congressman from the district. (--Place Names.)Glaize
Fyan was changed to Pulaski County, in 1897, and was changed back to Laclede County, in 1910. (--Sergeant Groves.)
Glaize is a French word for clay or red earth which is descriptive of the country and Auglaize means "at the clay or clayey soil." (--Place Names.)Grace
A post-office from 1915-1928, in the central part of Eldridge Township. Named for Grace Devine, the postmaster's daughter. (--Place Names.)Hazelgreen (or Hazel Green)
This town, or post-office, is two miles east of Sleeper. (--Gazetteer of Missouri, Campbell, 1874, p. 297.)Homestead
Hazel Green, in the northeast part of Smith Township is a post-office, dating from 1870. It is named because of the hazel brush which grows in the vicinity. (--Place Names.)
Missouri Manual, for 1901-1902, lists a post-office on page 386.
This was a post-office from 1892 to 1895, west of Lebanon. Eventually the post-office was discontinued. (--Sergeant Groves.)Huben Switch
A railroad switch in Union Township, named for Jim Huben, a railroad official. (--Place Names.)Ira
A village in northwest part of Eldridge Township. It has been a post-office since 1899. It is named for Ira Waterman, preacher, farmer, merchant, school-teacher, and notary public. (--Place Names.)Jericho
Ira was located at Section 7, Township 36 N, Range 17 W, on Highway E, in the northwest part of the county, near the Dallas County line.
A post-office, seventeen miles south of Lebanon. (--Gazetteer of Missouri, p. 297.)
Jericho is a hamlet and discontinued post-office, (1867-1879), three miles from Conway, in Union Township. It was first settled by Jeremiah Russell, who opened a store there in 1850. Name given because of the isolation of the place, Jericho being a synonym for the end of the earth, as in the phrase, "From here to Jericho". Jericho is of course a Biblical name (Luke 10:30). (--Place Names.)
However, Jeremiah Russell lived only about three miles east of Conway and had a store there, the place being called Jericho, from Russell's first name, Jeremiah. (--A History of Laclede County Missouri, from 1820 to 1926, Nyberg, Leo, c1926, p. 20. Courtesy of Kinderhook Regional Library.)
A post-office in 1901-1902, listed in Missouri Manual for those years, on page 387.Lark
Laird is a discontinued post-office, in south central Hooker Township. It was named for the Laird family, who had the store in which the office was established. (--Place Names.)
Lark is a post-office, in 1888-1895, which was located near Abo. (--Sergeant Groves.)Lebanon
The county seat, on the A. & P. R.R., 186 miles from St. Louis. It contains 6 chruches. There are 2 Masonic lodges with halls, 1 Royal Arch Chapter, 1 Odd Fellows lodge and hall; 1 high school, 1 colored school, 1 bank, 1 steam grist and saw mill, 21 stores, 1 lumberyard, 2 cabinet makers, 1 brewery, 3 hotels, 2 wagon and 3 carpenter shops, 1 stock yards and 2 newspapers. (1874.) (--Gazetteer of Missouri, p. 297.)Line City
An innovation was provided for at the council meeting July 5, 1890 by ordinance 83, which read -- "The Light and Water Company is hereby granted full authority to maintain and operate a street railroad for the period of twenty years with the privilege of renewing and extending this contract for an additional period of twenty years." The motive power was to be mule, horse, cable, or electric and the system was to cover the entire town; with "no less than two cars at one time and at all times a sufficient number for the present and future growth of the city". These cars were to be first class, "open in the summer and closed in the winter and provided with bells and signal lights to guard pedestrians".
The street railway system did not materialize and on November 2, 1896, the franchise was declared void and Lebanon has remained without street cars to the present day. (--First Hundred Years of Laclede County, Courtesy of Kinderhook Regional Library."
Lebanon is located at Sections 4, 5, 10, 11, Township 24 N, Range 16 W, on Highways I-44, 66, 5, 64, 32.
A discontinued post-office, (1883) near the Wright County line. Named for its location. (--Place Names.)
This post-office was near Ira, in 1894-1898. (--Sergeant Groves.)Logan
This post-office, of 1851-1854, was near Nebo. (--Sergeant Groves.)Loyalty
This small hamlet was located in the south central part of Hooker Township. An ideal name given by Joe Wilson. The place was a "one man's town", devoted to its leading citizen. (--Place Names.)Lynchburg
It was located in the southeast part of Gasconade Township. It was a post-office from 1899. Named for David Lynch and his brother, R.D. Lynch. (--Place Names.)Lyon
This post-office, of 1869-1872, was west of Lebanon. (--Sergeant Groves.)Lyons (note the "Section")
Lyons, a post-office of 1913-1928, was changed from Delta, (q.v.). (--Sergeant Groves.)McGrath
A village in Hooker Township. A post-office since 1889. Named for Secretary of State, Michael K. McGrath, (1835-1901), from St. Louis.McHenry
This post-office, of 1893-1896, was on the county line, west of Eldridge. (--Sergeant Groves.)
A village and post-office, in Hooker Township, before the Civil War. It was named for the wild flower which grew in the fields. The May Apple is a herbaceous plant (podophyllum pedatatum) which appears in May. (--Place Names.)Monarch
Monarch was located in the northwest part of Gasconade Township. It is a discontinued post-office, (1915-1928) deep in the Gasconade glade. "I was unable to find anyone who knew why it was so named, and an attempt to drive to it resulted in failure as the road was completely unmarked." (--Anna O'Brien, in Place Names.)Morgan
A town in the southeast part of Washington Township. A post-office since 1879. It was named for Asa Morgan, a confederate officer, who settled in the county after the Civil War. (--Place Names.)Nebo
Morgan is located at Section 10, Township 32 N, Range 16 W, on Highways Y & PP, east of Conway.
A very old village in central Gasconade Township. A post-office since 1870. A Biblical name for the mountain range of which Mount Pisgah was a peak. (--Place Names.)Newburg
Nebo is listed in the Postal Guide for 1861.
It was a post-office twenty miles east of Lebanon. (--Gazetteer of Missouri, 1874, p. 297.)
It was located at Section 14, Township 33 N, Range 13 W, on Highway 32, southeast of K, northwest of U.
See Competition. (--Place Names; Gazetteer of Missouri, p. 297.)New Conway
See Conway. (--Place Names.)Nixon
A recently established post-office, in Eldridge Township. Named for the J. P. Nixons, who have the store.
A post-office twelve miles east of Lebanon. (--Gazetteer of Missouri, p. 297.)Omego
There was a post-office listed on page 389, of Missouri Manual, for 1901-1902.
Oakland is a very old settlement in Osage Township. Settled by Samuel Monholen in 1830, it has been a post-office since 1853. Named for the trees in the settlement. (--Place Names.)
Oakland is the first post-office to be established in Laclede County. (--Sergeant Groves.).
This post-office which lasted for a short time in 1894, was on the county line, near Competition. (--Sergeant Groves.)Orgianna
A post-office from 1902 to 1920, in the southeast section of Franklin Township. No explanation of the name was found. (--Place Names.)Orla
Orla was west of central in Franklin Township; a post-office since 1886. Originally called Ball's Mill (q.v.), for an old Tennessean who built a mill there. He gave the post-office the name Orla for one of his sons. Later Ball killed a man and leaving his clothes on the bank of the Osage, disappeared. Years later he came back to the community and died there. Very rough, wild country. Also spelled Orle, Orley. (--Place Names.)Osage Fork
There was a post-office at Orla in 1901-1902, as listed in Missouri Manual, for those years, on page 389.
A post-office listed in 1860. No one had any recollections of it, but thought it must have been in Osage Township and named for the river. (--Place Names.)Palestine
A farmer's post-office in Lebanon Township in 1889. Named for the Holy land. (--Place Names.)
See Bidwell. (--Place Names.)Pease
Partlow was near Zion School. (--Sergeant Groves.)
A discontinued post-office, (1886-1915) in south central Washington Township. Named for George Pease, an old settler and merchant. (--Place Names.).Phillipsburg
Pease was located at Section 18, Township 32 N, Range 15 W, on Highway Y, east of Morgan, or a short distance west of Highway 5.
A town in northeast Phillipsburg Township. A post-office since 1876, and a railroad station since 1869. Named for Rufus Phillips, who came to the region before the Civil War, and established a store. A post-office on the A. & P. Railroad, 12 miles west of Lebanon. (--Gazetteer of Missouri, 1874, p. 297.)Pine Creek (Pinecreek)
On the St. Louis and San Francisco Railroad, twelve miles southwest of Lebanon, is Phillipsburg, which, (1889) contains two general stores, kept respectively by Robert Young and Eli Massey, a saw mill, blacksmith shop and school-house. (--State of Missouri, History of Laclede County, Goodspeed Bros., 1889, p. 60.)
Phillipsburg is located at Section 22, Township 33 N, Range 17 W, on Highways A, C, & CC.
A discontinued post-office, (1870-1915) in south Gasconade Township. Spelled Pinecreek in 1895 Postal Guide. Named for the stream. (--Place Names.)
It was a post-office, 22 miles east, southeast of Lebanon. (--Gazetteer of Missouri, 1874, p. 297.)
A village in central Hooker Township, a post-office since 1901. Named for a Moravian minister, J. W. Thomas, because he thought the village would prosper. (--Place Names.)Quintilla
There was a post-office there in 1901-1902, according to Missouri Manual for those years, p. 390.
The mail now comes from Eldridge. (--Rand, McNally & Company, Commercial Atlas, 1968, p. 286.)
It is located at Section 11, Township 35 N, Range 17 W, on Highway AA.
This was a post-office in 1903-1904. (--Sergeant Groves.)Richland
Location is unknown.
Although the larger portion of Richland is in Pulaski County, a portion extends into Camden County as well as Laclede County. That portion in Camden County has been incorporated and called Hillhouse. (--Courtesy of the Mayor of Richland, The Honorable B.A. Brown, 6-27-71.Ridgewood
(See, also, Directories of Camden and Pulaski Counties, to be released later.)
A discontinued post-office, (1896-1904) in Osage Township. Named for its location in the Osage River wooded ridges. (--Place Names.).Roe
A discontinued post-office, (1910-1922) in Osage Township, Oliver Roe, the first postmaster, named the place. (--Place Names.)Russ
A discontinued post-office, (1891-1927) in northwest Franklin Township. Named for Mrs. Russ Graves, who was postmaster. (--Place Names.)St. Anna (also spelled St. Annie)
There was a post-office there in 1901-1902; it is listed on page 391 of Missouri Manual for those years. Russ was located at Section 9, Township 33 N, Range 15 W, on Highway HH, east and south of Highway 5.
A post-office at a private house in the eastern part of Laclede County. The office was located on the Texas-Pulaski County line, and has been listed in all three counties. Now the post-office is in Texas County and the area is served by the Brownfield (q.v.) office in Laclede. Obviously named for the mother of the Virgin. (--Place Names.)
A post-office 18 miles south of Waynesville. (--Gazetteer of Missouri, 1874, p. 457.)Sandrock
The post-office is listed in Missouri Manual, 1897-1898. However, later issues of Missouri manual show it to be in Laclede County, 1903-1904, also, 1905-1906, which is the last listing.
It was in three counties: Pulaski being first; then it came to Laclede County in 1878; finally it is thought to have been closed after it came to Texas County. (Date uncertain.) (--Sergeant Groves.)
Sandrock is a post-office, which lasted from 1891 to 1893. It was near Winnipeg. (Exact location is unknown.) (--Sergeant Groves.)Selkirk
Selkirk is a post-office which was near Hazelgreen, from 1886 to 1896. (Exact location is unknown.) (--Sergeant Groves.)Sharon
A post-office in 1860, but evidently short-lived as none of the present inhabitants had ever heard of it. The name is taken from the Song of Solomon, 2:1: "I am the rose of Sharon and the lily of the valley" and evidently refers to the beauty of the spot. (--Place Names.)Six
Exact location is unknown.
Six is a post-office, evidently of short life, since it is listed only for the year 1903. (Location is unknown.) (--Sergeant Groves.)Sleeper Switch
See Sleeper. (--Place Names.)
A station on the A. & P. R.R., (Frisco), seven miles north of Lebanon. (--Gazetteer of Missouri, 1874, p. 297.)Southard
Sleeper is a station on the St. Louis & San Francisco Railroad, seven miles northeast of Lebanon. It contains, (1889) two general stores, kept by Tim O'Connell and George Campbell--the latter being the Wheeler's store--and a blacksmith shop. (--State of Missouri, History of Laclede County, Goodspeed Bros., 1889, p 80.)
Sleeper is a railroad station in Auglaize Township, and a post-office since 1874. Named for a contruction gang foreman who built the road. It was first called Sleeper's Switch (q.v.), the spur having been constructed to a coal chute built there. (--Place Names.)
Sleeper is located at Sections 16 & 21, Township 35 N, Range 15 W, on Highways JJ & F.
A hamlet and post-office, in the central part of Gasconade Township, since 1910. Named for D.T. Southard, postmaster. (--Place Names.)Spring Hollow
A station on the A. & P. R.R., (Frisco) seven miles north of Lebanon. (sic) (--Gazetteer of Missouri, 1874, p. 297.)Stoutland
Spring Hollow is a discontinued post-office, (1873-1883), eight miles southwest of Lebanon. It was named for its location in Spring Hollow. (--Place Names.)
Stoutland is in Mayfield Township on the Camden County line. The post-office and the business district are in Camden County. It was named for Captain Stout, a director of the Atlantic & Pacific R.R., (now known as the St. Louis and San Francisco Railroad). (--Place Names.)
As of July, 1971, the population in Laclede County was approximately 35. (--Mack Clark, Jr., Mayor of Stoutland.)
Located in the northwest part of Eldridge Township, a new settlement which has been called Stringtown because it is strung out along the road. A rather common derogatory name for new settlements. (--Place Names.)Success School
Success School was in Gasconade Township. Named to celebrate the erection of the school. The school district was originally referred to as Bugtown, a slurring name given because the people were unable to maintain a reputable school. (--Place Names.)Taggart Mill
An early mill on the Osage, in operation before 1850. Built by and named for Josiah Taggart. Spelled Tygart in 1889. (--Place Names.)Warrensville (also Warrenville)
A post-office, in 1874, nine miles northeast of Lebanon. Named for Joe Warren, who ran a general store. The office lasted only a few years. (--Place Names.)Winnipeg
It was a post-office, nine miles northeast of Lebanon. (--Gazetteer of Missouri, 1874, Campbell, p. 297.)
In the northeast part of Gasconade Township, (in the southeast part of the county). A post-office from 1910. Named for Winnipeg, Canada, by postmaster, M.J. Dugan, whose people came from there. (--Place Names.)Witoka
Winnipeg is located at Section 31, Township 34 N, Range 12 W, approximately five miles west of Highway 17.
A village in Auglaize Township, in 1857. An Indian word meaning "female captive". (--Place Names.)Wyota
Berry Harrison and James M. Appling had extensive neighboring claims which covered the hill on which the Indian village, Wyota, had stood, and they were not slow to see the advantage of locating the town within their own holdings...
The Indian name, Wyota, had survived and it was supposed it would remain the permanent name of the new town (Lebanon). (--The First Hundred Years, pp. 17, 18.) (Courtesy of Kinderhook Regional Library.)
This short-lived post-office, lasted only a few months. It was established in August, 1886, and was discontinued in December of the same year. It was near Roe and Abo. (--Sergeant Groves.)
Springfield-Greene County Library