Alma (elevation 800 feet)
Alma, situated within the borders of Middleton Township, is located in Section 28, Township 50 N, Range 24 West, and was platted and incorporated in 1879-80, on the new line of the Chicago & Alton Railway. Its founder was Captain Laysing* (sic) and John W. Woodson. It was incorporated in 1880 with Dr. Thomas Field as its mayor. A post-office had been established at this point in 1879, with Perry Catron as postmaster. Doctor Field built the first house and conducted the pioneer store of the village. (--Lafayette County, Missouri, p. 369.)Atfek
* However, Edwin Zeysing, Sr., is mentioned as being the cofounder of the town.
Alma was platted on the northeast quarter of the southeast quarter of Section 28, Township 50 N, Range 24 West, July 17, 1878, by Edwin Zeysing, Sr. (--History of Lafayette County, 1910, Young, p. 43.)
Atfek was in the southwestern corner of Dover Township. (--Campbell's New Atlas of Missouri, 1874, Map #24.)Aullville (elevation 720 feet)
It is no longer listed.
Aullville was platted by Charles B. Russell, B. F. Russell and I. H. Hungate, July 24, 1869, on Section 28, Township 49 N, Range 25 West. (--Lafayette County, Missouri, p. 43.)
The first business house was erected by Bell & Erkin. A post-office was secured in 1879, with H.T. Hartman as postmaster. The first mayor was James H. Barnes...In 1876, a flouring mill was erected by Dr. J.T. Watson, and later operated by Major & Ridgeway...The first incorporation of the village -- that of 1876-- went down, and in 1905 it was reorganized as a village...Just a little north of the village of Aullville, at one time, was the home of that well-known Confederate general, Joseph Shelby...In the 1860'S and 1870'S Jesse James once made his hiding place in the nearby vicinity. (--Lafayette County, Missouri, p. 358, 359, 360.)
It was incorporated July, 1871. Population about 500 -- 1874. (--Campbell's Gazetteer of Missouri, 1874, p. 301.)
It is on Highway Township north of 40. (--General Highway Map of Lafayette County, issued by the Missouri State Highway Dept. Unless otherwise noted, all map descriptions are from this map. 10-1-64.)
Mail via Higginsville. (--Rand, McNally Standard Ref. Guide of Missouri, 1974.)
Berlin was platted on Section 24, Township 51 N, Range 26 West, March 7, 1854, by Grotz & Shelby. (--Lafayette County, 1910, pp. 43, 338.)Bates City (elevation 880 feet)
It was 8 miles east, northeast of Lexington and 2 miles north of Dover...It was incorporated in March, 1854...It was incorporated in March, 1854. (--Campbell's Gazetteer of Missouri, 1874, p. 301.)
The area described is west of Dover, near the Missouri River on an unmarked county road north of 24.
Berlin is not listed in Lafayette County; Berlin is listed in Gentry county. (--Rand, McNally, 1974.)
Bates City was platted on the southeast 1/4 of Section 36, Township 49 N, Range 29 West, on September 3, 1878, by Theodore Bates and wife...Bear's Grove
In 1879, the post-office was established, J. F. Ensberg being the first postmaster. The first house was built by L. B. Kelley, while Mr. Ensberg started the first store... (--Lafayette County, Missouri, 1910, Vol. 1, pp. 43, 334.)
It is on Highway Z south of I-70.
Bear's Grove was situated at Section 13, Township 49 N, Range 26 West.Blackburn Congregation (not a town)
The honor of becoming one of the very early settlers in Dover Township belonged to Joseph Collins, who located at a place called Bear's Grove situated near Section 13, Township 49 N, Range 26 West. (--History of Lafayette County, 1910, Young, Vol. 1, p. 344.)
It is no longer listed.
Highway 13 runs through this area, which is south of MM.
Although the church and parsonage of this congregation are in Saline County, several hundred yards from the Lafayette County line, a part of its membership lives in Lafayette County, and it is, therefore, properly mentioned in this place. Rev. Rahlfing, of Alma, began to preach to the Lutherans of Blackburn in the Advent season of 1895... Later a parochial school was established. (--Lafayette County, p. 153.)
The area described is in Section 24, Township 50 N, Range 24 West on Highway 20 on the Saline County line.
Buckhorn was west of Waverly between Waverly and Hodge, on the Missouri Pacific Railroad. (--Map of Missouri, 1903, Geo. P. Cram.)Castle
It is no longer listed in Lafayette County; there is a Buckhorn in both Pulaski and Madison Counties. (--Rand, McNally, 1974.)
Before the town of Concordia was laid out there was a country post-office west of the present town site, known as "Castle", where M. Cook was postmaster. Then it was removed to the home of Rev. J.F. Blitz, near the old brick church, a half mile out from the present office. Postmaster Blitz changed the name to "Concordia", probably after his old alma mater, the Lutheran College at Fort Wayne, Indiana, called Concordia. (--History of Lafayette County, 1910, Young, Vol. 1, p. 355.)Chapel Hill
Chapel Hill was platted March 26, 1857, on the southwest 1/4 of the southwest 1/4 of Section 31, Township 48 N, Range 28 West, by R.D. Hudson. (--History of Lafayette County, 1910, Young, Vol. 1, p. 43.)Chapel College
It is 26 miles south, southwest of Lexington, and was incorporated in September, 1857. (--Campbell's Gazetteer of Missouri, p. 301.)
It is situated at the junction of Highways Z & AA.
The post-office was discontinued prior to 1905. (--General Scheme, p. 58.)
Mail via Bates City. (--Rand, McNally, 1974.)
The school and Chapel Hill Village was burned by Quantrill's band. Chapel Hill is located on a range of hills about three miles east of the Jackson County line, and from the top of the hill looking to the east, over the Blackwater valley...The first post-office was kept by an old settler, Mr. Shores, on Section 35. (--Lafayette County, 1910, Vol. 1, pp. 374, 375, 376.)
About the year 1840 Archibald Wellington Ridings...who was born in Surry County, N. C., in 1815, came to Missouri and located on a large farm lying in both Johnson and Lafayette Counties, just three miles east of the Jackson County line...only one hundred yards from the Johnson County line. Mr. Ridings built his home at the foot of a ridge overlooking Blackwater Creek, where later was the big stone college which was to perpetuate his name.Concordia (elevation 787 feet)
A room in his spacious home was set apart and furnished as a school-room. >From this small beginning developed the Chapel Hill College...There is nothing to mark the old townsite, but a church, a store and a few residences.
Chapel Hill village soon passed into the hands of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church Synod, and many ministers were educated there...Many Indians and Mexicans attended school at Chapel Hill. Jose Watrous, a Spanish boy, was sent to Chapel Hill when he was but ten years old, and remained twelve years, when he left the college an ordained preacher of the Presbyterian Church...
Monday night, March 26, 1863, the famous old buildings were set on fire and destroyed by vandals inspired by partisan hatred. No one saw the guilty persons but suspicion pointed only one way. The Civil War was at its height, so no effort to rebuild the institution could be considered...Due to economic conditions the fate was sealed for all time of old Chapel Hill College...
After the destruction of Chapel Hill College had been witnessed by Archibald Wellington Ridings, he was instrumental in the location of the Normal School at Warrensburg... (--Lafayette County, Missouri, p. 201, 202, 203, 204.)
Following the destruction of the college, the history of the town has been uneventful. (--Encyclopedia of the History of Missouri, 1901, Conard, Vol. 1, p. 563.)
The second attempt at town-building in Freedom Township was, when, in 1868, the town of Concordia was platted by a stock company, consisting of Major G. P. Gordon and five others. It is situated twenty-five miles to the southeast of Lexington...on Section 4, Township 48 N, Range 24 West.
Among the early settlers were Jackson Patrick, who came very early and had many slaves and bloodhounds, and Miles Patrick, who sold a slave woman to pioneer Francis H. Walkenhorst for the sum of ten dollars...
Before the platting of the place, it was there that a good grist-mill was put in operation by Henry Flandermeyer and Lewis Bergmann...This property was burned in 1859. Then followed a blacksmith shop by Frederick Hendricks, in 1858. In 1859 a store was started by Henry and August Brockhoff...A post-office was established in 1870, with August Hickman as postmaster. In January, 1877, the place was incorporated with John Smith as its first mayor.
The first mill in the neighborhood was a tread-mill operated by horses and oxen, treading on a large half-inclined wheel. This was erected west of town by Fritz Rupe; but later it was burned. Then the proprietor of that improved mill erected a steam mill, with two run of stones, in town, and it was run until 1882, when it also was burned. It was owned by John F.Meyer, who died, then John Section. Klinkenberg bought it, and under his ownership it was destroyed. Henry Baepler & Sons, built a mill two and a half stories high in 1877, which had a capacity of 4000 bbls of flour annually, the product being chiefly sold in St. Louis markets.
Before the town was laid out there was a country post-office west of the present town known as "Castle", where M. Cook was postmaster. Then it was removed to the home of Rev. J.F. Blitz, near the old brick church, a half of a mile out from the present (1910) office. Postmaster Blitz changed the name to "Concordia" probably after his old alma mater, the Lutheran College at Fort Wayne, Indiana, called "Concordia". Concordia was incorporated in 1877 as a village and in 1883 as a city of the fourth class...Confederate Home
The most exciting times experience at Concordia was in the yearas 1863-64 and again in 1878.
October 10, 1864, a report reached Concordia that a party of bush-whackers were in the immediate neighborhood...After a sharp exchange of gunfire followed a large number of the defenders was killed...
August 29, 1878, a daring bank robbery was executed. The robbers managed to escape, and it was later believed this was a part of the Jesse James outlaw gang. Three suspects (not of this county) were arrested and brought to trial, but no one could identify them. (--Lafayette County, 1910, pp. 353 through to 358.)
It is situated on Highway J south of I-40.
It is north of Higginsville. (--Map of Missouri, 1903, Geo. P. Cram.)Cook's Store
Cook's Store was located in Freedom Township, Section 1, Township 48 N, Range 24 West. (--Campbell's New Atlas of Missouri, 1874, Map 24.)Corder (elevation 875 feet)
Cook's Store is no longer listed in Lafayette County. The area described is north of Emma, (q.v.)
Corder (once called Mitchell) was platted on the northwest 1/4 of the southwest 1/4 of Section 26, Township 50 N, Range 25 West, February 12, 1879, by George W. Corder and Bettie Corder.Dick
It was laid out in 1878 and incorporated in 1881. The first house was erected by the first postmaster, W. J. Luse; he also conducted the first store in the place. The first physician was Dr. Lewis Carthrae. The first mayor was G. W. Neithercut. (--Lafayette County, 1910, pp. 43, 338.)
It is on Highway V south of 20.
Dick was a post-office 14 miles east of Page City. (--Campbell's Gazetteer of Missouri, p. 301.)
It is no longer listed.
Dover (elevation 680 feet)
Dover was platted August 7, 1835, by John Duston, on the northwest 1/4 of Section 29, Township 51 N, Range 25 West.Edward's Mill
It was incorporated in 1897. One of the first mayors was Capt. W.A. Read. One of the first postmaster since 1854 was Thomas Miller. (--Lafayette County, Missouri, pp. 43, 341.)
It contained 3 churches and several business houses; population 1874, about 150. (--Campbell's Gazetteer of Missouri, p. 301.)
It is situated at the junction of 24 & T south of P.
It was a new town -- 1837 -- and contained four good stores with a general assortment of merchandise...Dover is two and a half or three miles from the river. (--Wetmore's Gazetteer of Missouri, 1837, p. 105.)
Edward's Mill (Hodge Station) was originally platted on the southwest 1/4 of Section 11 and the northwest 1/4 of Section 14, Township 51 N, Range 25 West, March 31, 1881 by W.C. Morris, proprietor.Emma
Now (1910) known as Hodge Post-office and railroad station it is a mere station and hamlet of no considerable commercial importance. (--Lafayette County, Missouri, pp. 43, 338.)
Emma had an Evangelical school and a Lutheran school. (--Lafayette County, Missouri, 1910, p. 55.)Ernestville (elevation 742 feet)
Emma is situated in the southeast corner of the county, at Section 1, Township 48 N, Range 24 West on Highway Y. It is on the Saline-Lafayette County line, a greater portion of Emma being in Saline County. According to General Highway Map of Lafayette County, 1964, the population of that portion in Lafayette County is 62, while that portion of Emma lying in Saline County is 140. It was incorporated in 1958. (--Rand, McNally, 1974.)
Ernestville is on the southeast edge of the county, on the Johnson County line, at the junction of KK & CC.Flora
Mail via Concordia. (--Rand, McNally, 1974.)
Flora was near Alma; a Lutheran school was here. (--History of Lafayette County, 1910, Young, p. 55.)
Freedom (Freedom Township)
Freedom (now a defunct village of this township) was laid out in 1860, by Franklin Mock, on Section 9, Township 49 N, Range 25 West, and made a matter of public record. William Kane erected a store building...in which he carried on a general merchandise business. The house in which Doctor Belt later resided was the first residence of the village. Davis, Livingwood & Son put in operation an ox-tread grist mill, which later was removed to Aullville...There were several business houses erected at Freedom, but with the building of the railroad through the township...finally all became delapidated, and many of the buildings were removed to the nearby railroad station, Aullville. Doctor Wilborn was postmaster at one time, and later it was moved to the store of Mr. Kane.Hempland (Davis Township)
It is now numbered among the defunct villages of Lafayette County. (--Lafayette County, Missouri, p.352.)
It was a post-office 3 miles south of Aullville. (--Campbell's Gazetteer of Missouri, p. 301.)
The pioneers had to go from twelve to twenty miles to mill and frequently would be cut off from their homes by high water and were obliged to camp by the roadside several days until the water receded. The trading point was then Lexington, as was also the post-office until about 1846, when Hempland Post Office was established, with Major Neal as postmaster. (--History of Lafayette County, 1910, Young, Vol. 1, p. 345.)Village of Greenton (Clay Township)
Exact location unknown. It is no longer listed.
This place, situated on Section 14, Township 49 N, Range 28 West was founded by Joseph Green, from whom it derived its name, in about 1835. A post-office was established that year, with Mr. Green as its postmaster... The first school was taught by a Mr. Bowman in 1828 on Section 22. The first cloth was woven by Mrs. Henry Campbell. (--Lafayette County, Missouri, p. 333.)Halls
It was a post-office 12 miles south, southwest of Lexington. (--Campbell's Gazetteer of Missouri, 1874, p. 301.)
It is situated on an unmarked county road east of 131 between FF & I-70.
Mail via Odessa. (--Rand, McNally, 1974.)
Halls was the first station east of Lexington on the Missouri Pacific R.R. (--Map of Missouri, 1903, Geo. P. Cram.)
There is a Halls in Buchanan County. (--Rand, McNally, 1974.)
Henry P.O. (or Lexington Junction)
It was northwest of Lexington on the Santa Fe Railroad. (--Map of Missouri, 1903, Geo. P. Cram.)Hodge Station (Hodge)
It is no longer listed by either name.
See Edward's Mill.Higginsville (elevation 850 feet, Dover Township)
It is at the north end of Highway N, near the Missouri River.
Mail via Waverly. (--Rand, McNally, 1974.)
Higginsville was platted by Henry and Carrie Higgins (from whose name the place derived its name) August 14, 1869, on Sections 1 & 6, Township 49 N, Ranges 25 & 26 West...A post-office was established at this point in 1870 with A.B.E. Lehman as postmaster. He also had the honor of putting in the first store for the sale of general merchandise, the firm being known as Lehman & Son...Johnson Grove Settlement (Dover Township)
Higginsville was incorporated in 1876 and Abram Wade was made the first mayor. It was incorporated as a city of the fourth class in 1866...There were a few skirmishes near Higginsville during the Civil War. (--Lafayette County, Missouri, pp. 348, 349, 350.)
It is situated at the junction of Highways 13, 213, AA & T.
It derives its name from the first comers there, Two William Johnsons, cousins, located there in 1827, 1828. (Location is unknown.) (--Lafayette County, Missouri, p. 337.)
It is no longer listed.Lexington
See "Old Town". (--Lafayette County, Missouri, p. 43.)Lexington (elevation 849 feet)
Away back in the days when Lafayette County was yet called "Lillard County", and bearing date of August 6, 1822, the name of Lexington as applied to the county seat appears of record...
The legal beginning of Lexington, as a platted village, referring to "Old Town", (q.v.) and which was located about a mile and a half from the river at Jack's Ferry, is described in the first pages of the first plat book of Lillard County...
The Old Town, however, did not long hold sway, for it was found best to locate another platting to the west of the original town site. On June 5, 1849, the county court ordered that the public square in Old Lexington, together with the public buildings, be sold at auction the following August...Lisbon
A charter was secured for a city government in Lexington in 1845, and Eldridge Burden was elected the first mayor...Before the county seat had really been moved to its location, Lexington had made some steps toward settlement. Two miles to the southwest a Baptist denomination had erected a log church. Solomon Cox built a mill, utilizing the water power derived from Tabo Creek, and soon after Lexington was founded a man named Ray built a small horse-mill in Lexington, west of the public square. Later he added to this a wool carding machine, but the entire mill was burned in 1833 or 1834...
August Thrall, the first postmaster, was appointed May 15, 1821, by James Monroe...
A company was formed in Lexington in 1865 for the purpose of prospecting for oil...Oil was found at the depth of several hundred feet, but not in paying quantities. The experimental well oil was sunk in the vicinity of the present day Confederate Soldier's Home, near Higginsville... (--Lafayette County, Missouri, pp. 309, 310, 311, 312, 316, 317.)
It is situated at Sections 33, 34, Township 51 N, and Sections 3 & 4, Township 50 N, Range 27 West at the junction of Highways 13 & 24.
Lisbon was platted on the northeast 1/4 of Section 23, Township 50 N, Range 29 West, by James Belt, December 1, 1857. (--Lafayette County, Missouri, p. 43.)Long Grove Settlement (Dover Township)
This area is south of Napoleon. See Napoleon: (--History of Lafayette County, 1910, Young, Vol. 1, p. 334.)
Lisbon is not listed in Lafayette County; Lisbon in Howard County. (--Rand, McNally, 1974.)
It was brought about by Martin Warren and his sons who arrived in 1824, locating in Section 23, Township 50 N, Range 26 West. (--Lafayette County, Missouri, Vol. 1, p. 337.)Mayview Village (now Mayview, elevation 905 feet)
This area is south of Page City.
Mayview is the only village within Washington Township, and around it is woven considerable history, many good points of which have been preserved in the annals of the county, as having come down from the tongue and pen of "Uncle George Houx", a pioneer so well known in Lafayette County.
Among others is this concerning the "Mounds":Middleton
"In 1812 the British brought to bear every influence they could to have the Indians engage in hostilities against the Americans, and bands of the Osage and Kaw took the warpath. Captain Heth, an old settler of Cooper County was out with his scouting party fromo Boonville or Old Franklin, and encountered a band of these hostile Indians a few miles west from this mound, but then fell back to it and there made a determined stand. A sharp and bloody battle took place, 'and the Injuns got licked'. This place was thereafter known as Heth's Mound. General Graham also verifies the statement that Houx made of this incident..."
A post-office was secured for Mayview in 1868, with John P. Herr as the first postmaster. He also erected the first house and owned and operated the pioneer store of the place...A frame school house was built in 1866...The place was incorporated in 1882. It is not known who was the first mayor... (--History of Lafayette County, 1910, Young, pp. 382, 383, 384, 385.)
Mayview is situated on Section 18, Township 49 N, Range 26 West and Section 13, same Township, Range 27 West on Highway E south of FF.
Mayview was platted originally on Section 18 and 13, Township 49 N, Range 27 West, by George Houx, John P. Herr and Wentworth & Morrison, December 2, 1867. (--History of Lafayette County, 1910, Young, p. 43.)
Middleton was platted on the southeast 1/4 of Section 15, Township 50 N, Range 24 West, by W.W. Shroyer, in February, 1845. (--History of Lafayette County, 1910, Young, p. 43.)Mitchell
This area is on Highway UU east of 23.
It is no longer listed.
See Corder.Mordecai (Cook's Place)
It was a relay station for the four-horse stage coach line between Sedalia and Lexington. It was a few miles to the south of Concordia. (--History of Lafayette County, 1910, Young, Vol. 1, p. 353.)Mulkey's Grove (Freedom Township)
It is no longer listed by either name.
Mulkey's Grove was about two and a half miles southeast of the present town of Aullville. (--History of Lafayette County, 1910, Young, Vol. 1, p. 351.)
It is no longer listed.
Myric Station (Myric)
Myric is situated at Section 36, Township 51 N, Range 27 West on the Missouri Pacific Railroad, south of Lexington.Mt. Hope (Sniabar Township)
Mail via Lexington; no population shown. (--Rand, McNally, 1974.)
The first building that was erected at Mt. Hope was the Presbyterian Church in 1854...It was at first known as the Hopewell Church and Rev. Thomas Bracken was its first pastor. The first post-office was established at Mt. Hope in 1857. The first regular physician was Dr. A. B. Hearnford. At the beginning of the Civil War there were two stores, one kept by W.K. McChesney and one kept by Mr. Kirkwood; also a blacksmith shop. In the petition for the post-office, the name Hopewell was suggested, but later finding another of the same name in Missouri, it was changed to Mt. Hope. After the war this became quite a business center and continued to grow until the building of the Alton Railroad in 1879, when the Presbyterian Church and most of the buildings were removed to Odessa and the post-office was also moved; thus nothing remains but the mere memory of Mt. Hope. (--Lafayette County, Missouri, p. 376.)Mt. Vernon
It was a post-office 20 miles southwest of Lexington, and had 6 stores, 2 blacksmith and wagon shops, and 2 churches. (--Campbell's Gazetteer of Missouri, p. 302.)
The original county seat was situated on the southeast 1/4 of Section 23, Township 51 N, Range 26 West, on the bluff half a mile east of the Tabo Creek and about three-fourths of a mile from the Missouri River, at a point (probably) where once had stood Fort Orleans, an old Indian trading-post...In the French it was "Terre Bonne", good land or good place. The Americans named it Mt. Vernon, after the home of George Washington. This place, however, was never platted. Within one month after the county seat commissioners had been appointed they had selected and platted the new county seat and sold many of the lots. The last term of court was held in Mt. Vernon in November, 1822; the first held in Lexington was in February, 1823, at Doctor Buck's house, which was the first structure erected in Lexington, ("Old Town" as now styled.) (--History of Lafayette County, 1910, Young, Vol. 1, p. 310.)Napoleon (formerly Lisbon, elevation 710 feet)
Napoleon, on the Missouri River 13 miles west, southwest of Lexington, was incorporated November, 1836. (--Campbell's Gazetteer of Missouri, p. 302.)
Napoleon was platted November 7, 1836, by a company of men, on Section 23, Township 50 N, Range 27 West.Northrop Station (Lexington Township)
It is situated in the extreme western part of Lafayette County, twelve miles west from Lexington, on the Missouri River. Its original platting was executed in 1836 by William Ish, Nathaniel Tucker and others. Originally it was styled "Poston's Landing". Samuels & Ish started the first business in the hamlet and John A. Poston opened a dry goods store. During the panic of 1837, the town was virtually abandoned. In 1854, Dr. James Belt went to the place, which he found deserted as a business point, except one log house and a log store building. He at once began to improve the place and called the town "Lisbon", but the post-office was suspended from about 1840 to 1858, when D.K. Murphy was serving as postmaster.
The first school house was built in 1858 at the cost of $250.00. Dr. D.K. Murphy (the postmaster) was the first to practice medicine in the new town. He came from North Carolina and later removed to Greenton. A mill was established at Napoleon...Twenty hands were employed...and the entire output was sold at Kansas City. (--Lafayette County, Missouri, pp. 43, 334, Vol. 1.)
It was on the river division of the Missouri Railway. It was a mere stopping place and hamlet of no consequence. (--History of Lafayette County, 1910, Young, Vol. 1, p. 363.)Oakland (Dover Township)
It was east of Lexington on the Missouri Pacific R.R. (--Map of Missouri, 1903, Geo. P. Cram.)
It is no longer listed.
The first church was erected by various congregations and known as "Oakland Church", which was torn down in 1880. Prior to this the settlers went ten miles to Dover to worship. The first school house in the vicinity was built of logs, near the Oakland Church, in 1843...Oakland post-office was also established about this time, with M.C. Burns as postmaster. The office was discontinued many years ago, as of 1910. (--History of Lafayette County, 1910, Young, p. 33.)
Oakland is no longer listed in Lafayette County; Oakland in both Laclede and St. Louis Counties. (--Rand, McNally, 1974.)
Odessa (elevation 930 feet)
Odessa was platted by John Kirkpatrick, Sarah Kirkpatrick and Alex R. Patterson, on Section 36, Township 49 N, Range 28 West and Section 1, Township 48 N, Range 28 West, on September 17, 1878."Old Town" of Lexington
Odessa was incorporated in 1880, Horace Rawlings being one of the first mayors...The post-office was established in July, 1879, with M.V. Powell as postmaster...
It was named Odessa, by a Mr. Blackburn, one of the officials of the Chicago & Alton R.R. Company, in honor of Odessa, Russia. When platted this town was surrounded with wheat fields. (--Lafayette County, Missouri, 1910, Vol. 1, pp. 44, 379, 380.)
It is situated at the junction of 131 & 40. OO is on the west side of the town.
"Old Town" of Lexington (original platting) was made by the county commissioners appointed for locating the county seat, etc. April 8, 1822. (--Lafayette County, Missouri, Vol. 1, p. 44.)Page City (Dover Township)
It is an inland village of some historic importance, on the Missouri Pacific R.R. It was laid out by Joseph Page in 1871, on twenty acres of land belonging to himself, and eleven acres belonging to his brother, G.R. Page. It has never amounted to more than a station point, with small business interests. (--Lafayette County, Missouri, Vol. 1, p. 338.)Poston's Landing
It is on Highway 213 north of Higginsville.
As of 1974 there was no population. (--Rand, McNally, 1974.)
It is situated in Section 13, Township 50 N, Range 24 West. (--Lafayette County, Missouri, 1910, Vol. 1, p. 44.)
See Napoleon. (--Lafayette County, Missouri, 1910, Vol. 1, p. 334.)Remick's Mills
It was in the central part of Washington Township. (--New Atlas of Missouri, 1874, Campbell, Map 24.)St. Thomas (see Waverly)
It is no longer listed in Lafayette County; Remick in Randolph County. (--Rand, McNally, 1974.)
St. Thomas (now a part of Waverly) was platted on the west half of Section 14, Township 51 N, Range 24 West, by John D. Thomas, March 15, 1852. (--Lafayette County, Missouri, 1910, Vol. 1, p. 44.)
It was at the south edge of the county. (--Map of Missouri, 1903, Geo. P. Cram.)Tyro
The post-office was discontinued prior to 1905. (--General Scheme, 1905, Taft, p. 58.)
It is no longer listed.
Jonathan Hicklin entered the northwest 1/4 and Richard Edwards the northeast 1/4 all in Section 22, Township 50 N, Range 28 West, located immediately south and partly within the present limits of Wellington, in the year 1821, and this little settlement was styled (no one knows why) Tyro. (--Lafayette County, Missouri, 1910, Vol. 1, p. 326.)Waterloo (Clay Township)
It is no longer listed.
Waterloo was platted on Section 18, Township 50 N, Range 28 West, October 11, 1905, by Joseph A. Edwards, Sr.Waverly (elevation 808 feet, see Middleton)
The town of Waterloo, in Clay Township, is midway between Wellington and Napoleon, on the railroad and on the Missouri River. Its founder once remarked, "Napoleon and Wellington are both dead, but Waterloo still fluorishes." He was referring to three great military names, Waterloo, Wellington and Napoleon, intimating that the towns of Wellington and Napoleon, like the military characters were dead, while his town was much alive; but time has proven his mistake in the main. (--Lafayette County, Missouri, 1910, Vol. 1, pp. 44, 335.)
It is situated at Section 19 & 20, Township 50 N, Range 28 West, on Business 24 between Wellington and Napoleon.
Mail via Wellington; population in 1974, was 30. (--Rand, McNally, 1974.)
Waverly is situated in the northeastern part of Middleton Township, not far distant from the Missouri River. It was originally founded in 1845 by Washington Shroyer and named Middleton, its present name, Waverly, being adopted about 1848. In 1850, or possibly a little later, Col. John D. Thomas bought land adjoining the town on the east where he platted "St. Thomas". Soon after the Civil War, Mr. Thomas died and St. Thomas was annexed to Waverly. It was incorporated in 1850 and Judge William Thomas was elected its first mayor. (Apparently the Judge and the Col. were not related.)
The first house was built by David K. Palmer, and many years later it was washed away by the flood waters of the Missouri River. He also had the first store. In 1846 a frame school house was erected...It was also used for church purposes. A post-office was established here at a very early date, with David Miller as one of the first postmasters.
Waverly, as has been indicated, was at first called Middleton, and it was changed in 18580 to Waverly, when it was incorporated as a village.Wellington (elevation 720 feet)
It is situated in the northeast corner of the county, at Section 14 & 15, Township 51 N, Range 24 West at the junction of 65 & 24.
It was also known as Hazel Hill; there was a Hazel Hill Lutheran School there. (--Lafayette County, Missouri, 1910, Vol. 1, p. 55.)
Wellington was platted on the southeast 1/4 of the southwest 1/4 of Section 15, Township 50 N, Range 28 West, May 8, 1837, by Messrs. Wolfe, Bledsoe and Littlejohn.Winton
In the year 1837, on May 8th, Jacob Wolfe and Isaac Wolfe presented a petition to the Lafayette Court, "asking that a town and village in the Tyro neighborhood be established on the southeast 1/4 of Section 15, Township 50 N, Range 28 West and suggested by Clinton Bledsoe, to be named and known as Wellington..."
The first sermon preached in Wellington was by old "Uncle Ike" a slave belonging to Col. James Lauderdale, in the upper room of the log building known as "Moriarity Hall", standing at the northwest corner of Walnut & Fifth Streets, on Sunday, June 9, 1839...
Wellington was first incorporated as a village in 1855; reincorporated in 1859, and so continued until 1860 or 1861. The war came on and no municipal form of local government was maintained until October 7, 1885, when it again assumed the role of a village, and thus continued until Nov. 6, 1891, when it became a city of the fourth class.
Phares Farrell was the first postmaster or one of the first postmasters, date unknown. Wellington has had several mills. The Carr mill was erected in 1854, and burned in 1896, along with its grain warehouse. It was rebuilt and is now (1910) owned by the Sweet Springs Milling Company. It is a modern steam roller milling company. In 1893 the boilde exploded and killed two men...In 1857 was built a saw mill, which burned about 1867. It belonged to James T. Dorton.
Another mill was erected in 1855 by James Martin, ran until about 1870 and then removed from town. (--Lafayette County, Missouri, 1910, Vol. 1, pp. 44, 331.)
It is situated at Section 10 & 15, Township 50 N, Range 28 West on Business Highway 24, east of Napoleon and Waterloo.
Winton was the first station north of Page City on Missouri Pacific R.R. (--Map of Missouri, 1903, Geo. P. Cram.)
It is no longer listed.
Springfield-Greene County Library