A Directory of Towns, Villages, and Hamlets
Past and Present
of Linn County, Missouri

Compiled by Arthur Paul Moser

[Page 1]

ALTHORPE

Althorpe was located on the west edge of the county, in Jackson Township, near Grundy County line, near Orlinda.
MAP OF MO., 1894, Rand McNally.
BEAR BRANCH     Grantsville Township
It was the site of the Bear Branch Methodist Church, which was erected in 1876, by John A. Brown, builder. The church was a frame building located on Section 16, Township 59, Range 16. Bear Branch also was a post-office.
HIST. OF LINN CO., 846, 849; see also CAMPBELL'S GAZETTEER OF MO., 1874, 319.
BENSON
Benson wa located on the eastern edge of the county near Marion County line.
THE STATE OF MO., in 1904, Williams, 431.
The post-office was discontinued pre 1905.
GENERAL SCHEME OF MO., 1905, Taft, 62.
BEX P. 0.
It was located on Sec. 34, Twp. 60N, R. 22 W in Jackson Twp. 1887.
MAP OF LINN CO., bound in History of Linn County; map dated 1887.
BOOMER
Boomer is located in the southwest section of the county on Burlington-Northern R.R., south from Laclede.
WILLIAMS, 431. See Forker.

NOTE: The original name of Lamonte, Pettis Co., was BOOMER.
ENCY. OF THE HIST. OF MO., 1901, Vol. 3, 581.

BOTTSVILLE
See Meadville.
BRANCHVILLE     Locust Creek Township
It was situated on Sec. 11, Twp. 59 N, R. 20 W.
NEW ATLAS OF MO., 1874, Campbell, Map 14.

Only a cemetery is shown in this section, which is east of Purdin on Highway C.
GENERAL HIGHWAY MAP OF LINN CO., issued by The Missouri State Highway Dept. 4-1-66. Unless otherwise noted all map locations are from this map.

[Page 2]

THE CITY OF BROOKFIELD     elevation 760 feet

The ground upon which the City of Brookfield now stands--Sections 5, 6, 7 and 8, in Township 57, Range 19, and Section 31, in Township 58, Range 19, was formerly known as "the Scatters."

In the spring of 1859 the Hannibal & St. Joseph R. R. was completed to the town site and on the 20th of July following, the town was laid out under the direction of Major Hunt, the railroad company land commissioner. The company had located its division headquarters, round house, machine shops, etc. at Thayer, six miles east of Brookfield; but upon completion of the road to the site of Brookfield, it was resolved to lay out a new town, and relocate the division. The town was named for the engineer who laid out the town,  John Wood Brook, from Boston. Four of the principal streets were called, John, Wood, Brooks and Boston.

In August, 1859, Major Josiah Hunt built two frame single story houses on Brooks Street. Among the early settlers of Brookfield were Captain Dennis, Mr. Kerrigan and Frederick C. Loring, a butcher.

In March, 1859, however, before any dwelling houses were built, the railroad company had moved the round house from Thayer, which had at first been intended for permanent division headquarters, and promised at one time to be a place of importance, but which dwindled into insignificance with the progress of events, and in course of time, became wholly extinct.

The first school house in the place was finished in 1865. The first physician to locate in Brookfield was Dr. Bannng, who came in January, 1861.
LINN CO., pp. 487, 488, 489, 492; CAMPBELL, 319, 320; CONARD, Vol. 2, 396.
It is situated at the junction of M, 5, 11 & 36.


BROWNING     Benton Township

Browning is situated on the northern boundary of the county, about one-third of the town being over the line in Sullivan County. The principal part, if not all the business of the town and the post-office is located in Linn County. The town was named for Mrs. Browning, of Burlington, Iowa, by Justin Clark, of the Burlington & Southwestern R. R. Co., and is in honor of the wife of a brother of Orville H. Browning. The town was surveyed in the fall of 1872, and was laid out in October and November of that year. ln February, 1873, it boasted of having one general store, one blacksmith shop, one saloon and a post-office.

The post-office was established the last of the year (sic) and George B. Williams of Linneus was appointed postmaster. He failed to remove to Browning. John Edwards attended to the duties of the office. The first house was built by John Gable, as a residence for B. F. Northcott. The first school in Browning was taught in the spring or summer of 1874 by W. T. Wogan. He did not have many pupils as the town was small. Browning was incorporated February 6, 1878.
IBID: 751, 752.

[Page 3]

BROWNING (Cont)

It being near the line between Linn and Sullivan Counties, it was first suggested to use a combination of these names and call it Linnavan, but it was finally decided to honor Mrs. Browning, wife of one of the officials of the C. B. & Q. R. R.
HOW MISSOURI C0UNTIES TOWNS AND STREAMS WERE NAMED, Eaton, 188.

It is situated on Sec. 8, Twp. 60 N, R. 20 W at the junction of O & 5.

BUCKLIN     elevation 915 feet
The town of Bucklin was laid out on the east half of Lot 2 in the northwest quarter of Section 2, Township 57, Range 18, in October, 1854. The land was owned by James H. Watson, and he and Dr. John F. Powers were the chief proprietors and founders of the town.

The name originated this way: The town was known to be on the line of the Hannibal & St. Joseph Railroad, and the founders, of course, wished it to become a place of importance. To effect this, Dr. Powers wished to secure the cooperation of the railroad officials, and made a bid for the favor of the chief engineer of the road, at that time a Major Bucklin, by naming it for him! He failed, however, in making it a division point, as Brookfield will testify.

The original town was laid out half a mile or more north of the railroad track. The railroad people seemed to consider the name of the place as Bucklinville, for August 1, 1859, Josiah Hunt, land commissioner, etc. of the railroad company laid out the first addition to the place, which he caused to be platted and recorded as "the first-addition to the town of Bucklinville."

The first store was owned by Noah Caton. The first school-house was built in 1858; it was a frame and cost about $50.00. The post-office was established in 1859, and John Walker was the first postmaster. In 1867 the Bucklin Mills were built by Messrs. Pounds & Stevenson. The machinery was driven by a 30 horse-power engine.
IBID. 651, 652.

It is located at the crossing of the Santa Fe Railroad on 129. It is near Macon County line. See, also, CONARD, Vol. 2, 415.

CENTER POINT     Yellow Creek Township
In 1857 following the location of St. Catherine, "Center Point" was laid out on Sec. 6, Twp. 57, R. 18, but it died,
IBID, 615.
COULDON'S MILL
See Wyandotte.
[Page 4]

ENTERPRISE     Enterprise Township

This was rather an old village, and being only about four miles from the railroad and also Browning, an important station the Chicago, Burlington & Kansas Cjty Railroad, had not many chances to become a village of size and note. In fact Browning had perceptibly interfered with the growth of the village, as all merchants had left for that thriving town and the railroad communication with the outside world.

The village of Enterprise was first laid off in the year 1857 or 1858, on land owned by B. F.. Northcott, and he and A. D. Chunty were the founders. The post-office was at the time "Northcott," after one of the founders. The village grew until it reached near the population of a hundred souls. On December 21, 1869, a portion of the town was vacated as it became evident that the town plat was larger than was ever likely to beorne necessary. There was not much improvement going on and its future was not a very promising one. It would always equal a cross-roads town, which is composed of a country store and a blacksmith shop.

There was a small congregation of Methodists. They had no church, but used a school-house for service. In 1882 there was no general store at Enteprise, the last one having removed to Browning a few months previous to 1882.

There was a school here. . .located on the northwest quarter of the northwest quarter of Sec. 13, Twp. 60, R. 20.
LINN CO., pp. 801, 802; see, also, CAMPBELL, 320.

Enterprise is not listed in Linn Co. Enterprise is listed in Shelby Co.
RAND MCNALLY STANDARD REF. GUIDE OF MO., 1974.

EVERSONVILLE
Eversonville, the only town or village in Clay Township in 1882 is principally located on Sec. 27, Twp. 59, R. 22. Main Street, running east and west through the village, is the section dividing Sec. 27 and 22. A small portion of the town lies in Livingston County. It is therefore, divided by a county Iine and a township line. The town was laid out on land owned by Joseph T. Rains and John-Blodgett.

The first building erected was by Charles H. Everson, of Boston, who erected a large two-story frame store and placed in it a full stock of general merchandise. This was in 1876 and the place was known as Everson's Store until 1878. This store was built on the Joseph Harris place. The next building was put up by John Blodgett in 1877, and he rented it to A. H. Allen for a drug store. Then came a blacksmith shop, erected by Morris L. Shour. . .Th 1878 they succeeded in having a post-office established with Martin E. Stanberry as postmaster. Later a livery stable was put up and another blacksmith shop. The first physician was Dr. Trimble.

[Page 5]

EVERSONVILLE (Cont)

and there was the law office of Long & Donovan. . .The "Four Corners,' known as Everson's Store, grew large enough to be considered a village. A petition was presented to the county court, which was granted, and the town of Eversonville was incorporated November 7, 1881.
LINN CO., pp. 787, 788.

It is situated on Sec. 23, 27, Twp. 59 N, R. 22 W in Jackson Township on the Livingston County line, on Highway BB.

Mail is via Wheeling, population 60.
RAND MCNALLY, 1974.


FORKER or BOOMER POST OFFICE    elevation 779 feet

It is so designated on MAP OF MO., 1917, Rand McNally. It is situated on the Burlington Railroad near Chariton County line on Sec. 30, Twp. 57 N, R. 20 W on NN west of 136.
Mail is via Laclede; population 30.
RAND MCNALLY, 1974.


FOUNTAIN GROVE formerly "WOLF GROVE"

It is a station on the St. Louis & Omaha Railroad, nearly in the southwest corner of the township and county. It is. in Parsons' Creek Township.
LINN CO., p. 695.

It is situated on Sec. 36, Twp. 57, R. 22
MAP OF LINN CO., 1882.

It is 13 miles southeast of Chillicothe and 25 miles from Brunswick.
CAMPBELL, 320.

Mail is via Meadville; population 25.
RAND MCNALLY, 1974.

THE TOWN OF FRANKLIN    Brookfield Township
 
On the twenty-seventh of March, 1857, there was laid out about half a mile east of Brookfield, on the south end of the southwest quarter of the northwest quarter of Sec. 5, Twp. 57, R. 19, a town called Franklin. It existed as a town on the records for eleven years, but was never a place of any importance. On the 3rd of August, 1868, it was vacated by order of the county court. The proximity of Brookfield forbade that Franklin should ever become a point of importance.
LINN CO., pp.484, 485.

Franklin was an early name for Pacific.
ENCY. OF THE HIST. OF MO.., 1901, Conard, Vol. 5, 43.


[Page 6]

GARFIELD POST OFFICE    North Salem Township

Garfield post-office was established in November, 1880, at Stufflebaum's Mill on Yellow Creek, on Sec. 35, Twp. 60, R. 19, and named for President Garfield.
LINN CO., p. 826.

Garfield no longer is listed in Linn Co. Garfield is listed in Oregon Co.
RAND MCNALLY, 1974.

GARNER
Garner was located in the northeast corner of the county, southeast of Shelby.
MAP OF MO., 1925, Rand McNally.

The post-office was discontinued pre 1905.
TAFT, 62.

GRANTSVILLE
Grantsville was a post-office in Grantsville Township. It was a village of something less than fifty inihabitants.
LINN CO., p. 849.

It was a post-office 8 miles northeast of Linneus and had 4 or 5 stores and shops, and about 100 inhabitants.
CAMPBELL, 320.

It was situated on Sec. 11, 14, Twp. 59, R. 20.
MAP OF LINN CO., 1882.

HASEVILLE
Haseville is located in the northwest corner of the county near Sullivan and Grundy County lines, six and one-half miles east of Laredo, Grundy County.
WILLIAMS, 431.

Mail is via Humphreys, Sullivan Co.; no population.
RAND MCNALLY, 1974.

HECLA
Hecla is located in the northwest corner of the county, 5 miles southeast of Haseville.
WILLIAMS, 431.

It is situated on Sec. 7, Twp. 21 W and Sec. 12, R. 22 W in Twp. 59 N, on 139 south of Y.

The post-office was discontinued pre 1905.
TAFT, 62.

Mail is via Linneus; no .population
RAND MCNALLY, 1974.


[Page 7]

HYBRID

Hybrid was located in the east central part of the county near Yellow Creek.
WILLIAMS, 431.
The post-office was discontinued pre 1905.
TAFT, 62.
LACLEDE    elevation 783 feet
Laclede is located on Sec. 5, Twp. 57, R. 20. It is in nearly the center of Laclede Township east and west but is three miles from the northern boundary, while it is five miles north of the Chariton County line on the south.

Laclede was laid out August 19, 1853, by Henry W. Cross of Brunswick, J. L. Worlow and Mr. Eastman. The name. "Laclede" was given to it by Mr. Cross and was in honor of the old pioneer of Missouri, and one of the founders of St. Louis, Laclede Liqueste.

Among the first to erect residences were some of those who first laid out the town. Mr. Worley put up one, and Aaron Quick another, and they were living in them at the time the first business house was erected. This store was built by Thornton T. Easley of Linneus, for Jacob E. Quick. A post-office was established in 1855, and Aaron Quick was appointed postmaster.

The first school house was built in 1857. This was also built by Jacob E. Quick. Mr. Quick employed E. G. Clough to put up the school-house for him. It was about sixteen feet square and cost $75.00. Miss Martha Quick, daughter of the owner, taught the first school.

Laclede was incorporated as a village by order of the county court at the March term, 1866. W. J. Porter, John L. Reynolds, John F. Pershing, John Lomax, and T. W. Mitchell were appointed trustees of the corporation.

In 1870 and again in 1880, the question arose regarding the removal of the county seat from Brookfield. Both elections failed.
LINN CO., pp. 582, 583, 585, 587.

It is situated at the junction of 5 & 36.

John Fletcher Pershing was the father of General of the Armies, John. J. Pershing (1860-1948) who was Commanding General of the American Expeditionary Forces in World War I. He was born Sept.13, 1860 near Laclede in a Burlington section house.
THE MAN WHO DARED TO BE DIFFERENT, Pershing Park Memorial Association, pp.4, 5.

[Page 8]

LEVERTON

Leverton was located south of Grantsville.
MAP OF MO., 1894, Rand McNally.
THE CITY OF LINNEUS    elevation 815 feet
The first settler on the town site of the town of Linneus was Col. John Holland who came from Virginia to Linn County in the spring of the year 1834, and located his claim on the section wherein the capital of the county now stands.

On the 9th of February, 1853, the county court granted the prayer of the petition of the inhabitants of the town of Linneus, and incorporated the place. The first frame building in Linneus was built by one Gibbs, a tailor, in the year 1840, and stood north of the square. The first public school-house was built about the year 184. It was a frame, 18x22 feet in size. William Sander, a native of Maine, was the first school teacher. The first physician in this section was Dr. Dryden, and the first doctor was Judge James A. Clark, who had never studied medicine, and perhaps never read a "doctor book." He made no pretension of being a physician, but there were those who considered his attainments in medical science superior to those of many who wrote "M.D." after their names.

The judge always kept a plentiful supply of quinine and calomel about him, and they were considered sufficient medication for the chills and fevers of those days. The judge made no charge for his services. The nearest regular physician was at Keytesville.

The first regular physician in the town was believed to have been Dr. Iles, a seceder from the Mormon Church, who came in about the year 1846. As to the first merchant in the place, it may be said that the distinction is claimed for John G. Ball. Ball, Hezekiah Litton, and Weber, were among the very first merchants and "grocery keepers.
LINN CO., pp. 402, 405, 407, 408.

Linneus was settled in 1840, incorporated as a town, March 8th, 1856, and as a city, March 17th, 1863.
CAMPBELL, 320; see, also, CONARD, Vol. 4,  74-75.

It is situated on Sec. 31, Twp. 59 N, Sec. 6, Twp. 58 N, R. 20 W and Sec. 1, Twp. 58 N, R. 21 W at the junction of 5, B & P.

LOWELL
Lowell was located on the western edge of the county on Livingston County line, about midway between Sullivan and Chariton Counties.
WILLIAMS, 431

Lowell is also a part of St. Louis.
RAND MCNALLY, 1974.

[Page 9]

MARCELINE     elevation 860 feet

A city of the fourth class, on the main line of the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railroad. There were six churches in the city, Presbyterian, Baptist, Catholic, Methodist Epsicopal, Methodist Episcopal South, and Christian. A rolling mill, a bank, a number of coals mines nearby, and about sixty-five miscellaneous business places, including stores, shops, etc. There were three newspapers published in the city, the "Miner," the "New Deal," and the "Messenger of Peace." The population in 1900 was 26,328.
CONARD, Vol. 4, 186.

It is situated on Sec. 28, 29, 30, 33 & 34, Twp. 57 N, R. 18 W, at the junction of Z, T & 5.

It was platted in 1887, and named for the wife of one of the railroad officials, whose Christian name was"IMarceline."
HOW MO. COUNTIES TOWNS AND STREAMS WERE NAMED, Eaton, 188.

MEADVILLE    elevation 730 feet    Parsons' Creek Township
MeadVille, like most other towns on the line of the Hannibal & St. Joseph Railroad, dates its real existence on the completion of that railroad through Linn County. To be sure the site of Meadville was a year or two older. In 1858, John Botts ventured to build a little store on the present site of Meadville, then a vast expanse of wild prairie. A short time thereafter, David Lancaster built a little blacksmith shop. These two buildings cornprised
the settlement which was named "New Baltimore".

The first stock of goods that was ever brought to this place was hauled with an ox-team from Brunswick by William Botts . The stock consisted of dry goods, groceries, queensware, tinware, hardware, crockery, and last but not least, whiskey, which was sold by the drink. Eventually during the years 1858-59, the Hannibal & St. Joseph Railroad was completed through the place and Mr. Botts had quite a time to get them to build a depot here. The railroad officials talked of building it two miles west of New Baltimore. While all this was being done the town had not been laid out. On the 21st day of February, 1860, John Duff and John Botts had caused to be laid out the town of Bottsville on Sec. 6, Twp. 57, R. 21. It was duly recorded. Thus the new town of New Baltimore went into oblivion and Bottsville became a reality.

Came the Civil War and matters came to a standstill. About 1867 things began to make a turn for the better. At that time Bottsville business interests were not of mammoth proportions. T. D. Evans was postmaster, and he also carried a small stock of general merchandise. L. W. James ran a drug store, and Daniel Thurston and T. T. Spencer carried a small stock of groceries, etc. L. N. Goodsin was station agent.


[Page 10]

MEADVILLE (Cont)

It was about this time that John Botts sold his farm and moved back to Howard County. Bottsville began to put on airs and wanted to be called something else besides a hamlet on the prairies. Another thing, the citizens did not like the name, and  a petition was taken before the court asking that its name might be changed to Meadville. This was in April, 1869. Some, however, opposed the change, and went before the county court. At the May term, an order was made, changing the name of Meadville to Bottsville. From May 3 to October 6, 1869, the name remained Bottsville, but at the latter date it was finally changed to Meadsville, and will probably remain so for all future time. It was named in honor of Charles Mead, at that time representative of the Hannibal & St. Joseph RY.
LINN CO., pp. 705, 706.

It had one church--M. E. Church, one flouring-mill, about 20 stores and shops, and a population of about 400.
CAMPBELL, 320; see also, CONARD, Vol. 4, 288.

It is situated on Sec. 6, R. 21 W and; Sec. 1, R. 22 W, Twp. 57 N, at the junction of 139, W & Y.

NEEDLES
Needles is east of Laclede on the Burlington Railroad.
MAP OF MO., 1925, Rand McNally.

It has no population.
RAND MCNALLY, 1974.


NEW BOSTON    Baker Township

New Boston was the only village in Baker Township in 1882. It is located on Sec. 1, Twp. 59, R. 18, being the extreme northeast section of land in the township. The village is principally located on the southeast quarter of said section, and is a small place.

The founders of New Boston were A. Barron and R. A. C. Wright. It has never had any town plat, nor has it been incorporated. The citizens buy their land by the acre instead of by the foot, and a garden spot is as necessary as the ground the houses stand on.

New Boston became a post-office in 1872 with R. A. C. Wright as the first postmaster. Messrs. Barron and Wright erected the first store, and in that was kept the post-office, and they were the first merchants.

As beforementioned, New Boston had no rival, but this was not so in its early day. In 1872 and 1873 there was a town or village called New Boston, over the line in Macon County. It was called New Boston, but was old enough to be the grandfather of the present village of that name in Linn County. Age had so crippled the Macon County village that it had every appearance of dying without any outside help. The decrepit appearance with the look of ultimate extinction caused the building up of the Linn County New Boston and the Macon County affair was called "Old Town." This caused

[Page 11]

NEW BOSTON (Cont)

jealousy among the citizens of the Macon County town, and with a reckless disregard of polite language, they named the Linn County's New Boston, "Hell's Square Acre."
HIST. OF LINN CO., pp. 815, 817.

It is 15 miles north of Bucklin and had 2 stores.
CAMPBELL, 320.

It is situated at the juncticn of 129 & 11.
Population in 1974 was 80.
RAND MCNALLY, 1974.

NEW ENTERPRISE    Enterprise Township
It was situated on Sec. 13, Twp. 60 N, R. 19 W.
MAP OF LINN CO., 1882.
NORTHCOTT
It was situated on Sec. 13, Twp. 60 N.,R 20 W.
MAP OF LINN CO., 1882.

It was 14 miles northeast of Linneus.  Population about 200.
CAMPBELL, 320, 321. See Enterprise.

NORTH GALT POST OFFICE     EnterpriseTownship
It was situated on Sec. 12, Twp. 60N, R. 20 W.
NEW ATLAS OF MO., Map 14.
NORTH SALEM VILLAGE
The little village of North Salem on Sec. 11, Twp. 60 N, R. 19 W, was first started about the year 1850, by "Jack" Baker, and called "Whig Town," by which name it was long known. . .ln April, 1858, the town was regularly laid out by William Sanders on land owned by John R. and Sussanah Baker. When the post-office was established Mr. Putnam wished to call it Salem in honor of his old home in Indiana but there was already one Salem in Missouri, thecounty seat of Dent County, and so the place was called North Salem.

John Baker, a son of Rev. Baker is said to have built the first house in North Salem., and also the first building used as a store in the township. The first regular dry goods store was opened by Peter Putnam, in about the year 1857. Dr. David I Stephenson, a native Missourian, was the first practicing physician.

In 1870 the population of North Salem was thirty; in 1800, it was only twenty-four. North Salem had one church building, the Methodist Episcopal, or Northern Methodists.
LINN CO., pp. 825, 826; see, also, CAMPBELL, 322.

It is near the Sullivan County line.

[Page 12]

ORLINDA P. 0.     Jackson Township

It was situated on Sec. 26, Twp. 60 N, R. 22 W.
MAP OF LINN CO., 1882
PURDIN    Benton Township    elevation 880 feet
It is a small station on the Burlington & Kansas City Railroad, located about five miles north of Linneus, the county seat. It was surveyed by C. G. Briggs, county surveyor, in 1873, and it was laid out on land owned by Peter and Elizabeth Bond and Charles and Lydia Purdin, these lands being on Sections 7 and 8, Township 29, Range 20. Purdin Station was laid out in 1878, and surveyed in 1881. It was railroad depot, and of considerable convenience to the farmers.

In 1882, J. M. Renfro & Bro. were in the hoop-pole business, Frederick Libber was railroad agent, John Young was agent for a mining company and a Mr. Ready had started a saw mill.
LINN CO., 755, 756.

It had Christian, Methodist Episcopal and Presbyterian Churches, a public school, bank, saw mill, one newspaper, the "Champion," and about ten miscellaneous business places, stores, shops, etc. Population, 1899 (estimated) 210.

RODNEY
Rodney was northwest of Shelby.
EVENING IN WISCONSIN EDITION., GEN. ATLAS, 1896, Rand McNally, p.48.
ROSE DALE P. 0.    Grantsville Township
It was situated on Sec. 25, Twp. 59 N, R. 19 W.
MAP OF LINN CO., 1882.

There is a Rosedale in St. Louis County.
RAND MCNALLY, 1974.

ST. CATHARINE     ST. CATHERINE=R. R. name; ST. KATHERINE
It is one of the oldest towns in the county, having been laid out April 28, 1856. The ground upon which it was located belonged  to William and Katharine Elliott, and Caleb and Mary Farmer. The town was named Catharine after Mrs. Catharine Elliott. Afterward the word Saint, or "St." as it was written, was added: to it as  a sort of joke, but as Mrs. Elliott remarked, she had no objection to being canonized as a saint, the name became an established fact. The town was located on Sec. 35, Twp. 58, R. 19, Yellow Creek Township, its southern line being the township line between Townships 57 and 58.
[Page 13]

ST. CATHARINE (Cont)

When the Hannibal & St. Joseph Railroad was located through the county, St. Catharine, like Thayer, and a few other places, were in hopes of becoming a division station on that road but Brookfield secured the prize.

The town of St. Catharine grew largely through the energies of one of its founders, William H. Elliott. He had built a saw mill in 1855, and on locating the town or soon after, he erected what was known as the Elliott Woolen Mills, afterward called the Pioneer Flouring & Woolen Mills.

It was found after twelve years of corporate existence that the town of St. Catharine covered too much ground; that rival towns had somehow interfered with its growth, and so on December 21st, 1869, all that part of St. Catharine north of Fifth Srtreet and west of the Mill, except Second and Third Streets, was declared vacated.
LINN CO., 675, 676, 677

It is four miles east of Brookfield and had a fine flouring mill, also a woolen mill, and about 20 stores and shops. Population about 300.
CAMPBELL, 322.

A woolen and flouring mill were established there, but for some years, had not been operated. There were a church, school, hotel and four stores there. Population, 1899 (estimated) 250.
CONARD, Vol. 5, 419.

It is situated on Sec. 35, Twp. 58 N, R. 19 W at the junction of 11 & F, east of Brookfield. Population 75.
RAND MCNALLY, 1974.


SCOTTSVILLE

It was 8 miles north of Linneus and 2 miles southwest of Browning, and had 3 stores and about 100 inhabitants
CAMPBELL, 322.
SEBAGO    Jackson Township
It was situated on Sec. 2, Twp. 59 N, R. 22 W.
NEW ATLAS OF MO., Map 14.
SEDGWICK P. 0.
It was situated on Sec. 15, Twp. 60, R. 18, in North Salem Township and was established some years prior to 1882, and named in honor of the Union General of that name who was killed in one of the battles of the Wilderness, in Virginia, in the spring of 1864. Captain Seevey was the first postmaster.
LINN CO., p. 826.

The post office was discontinued pre 1905.
TAFT, p. 62.

[Page 14]

THE "SCATTERS"    See Brookfield

SHELBY

Shelby is located in the northeast corner of the county, southwest of North Salem.
MAP OF MO., 1925, Rand McNally.

It is situated on Sec. 34, Twp. 60 N, and Sec. 3, 4, Twp. 59 N, R. 19 W at the end of Highway U north of C.

The post-office was discontinued pre 1905.
TAFT, 62.

Mail now is via Purdin--Rural; no population is shown.
RAND MCNALLY, 1974.

SHERMAN    Yellow Creek Township
South of the railroad the town of Sherman was laid off, but August 2, 1869, it was vacated.
LINN CO., p. 675.
Sherman is the railroad name for Jedburg, St. Louis Co.
RAND MCNALLY, 1974.
SILL
Sill was located in the northeast corner of the county on R. F. D. from Sedgwick.
WILLIAMS, p.431.

The post-office was discontinued pre 1905.
TAFT, 62.

SNOWDEN
Snowden was in the east central portion of the county on R. F. D. from St. Catharine.
WILLIAMS, p.431.
THE TOWN OF THAYER
Upon the laying out of the Hannibal & St. Joseph Railway, there was projected a magnificent town which was declared by its projectors, would become the metropolis of Northern Missouri. This place was called Thayer in honor of some railway magnate of the East, probably Eli Thaer of Boston. The town was laid out in September, 1857, by Everett Peabody on land owned by him and Patrick and Bridgett Tooey. It comprised all of the southwest quarter of the northwest quarter, part of the southeast quarter of the northwest quarter, part of the northeast quarter, and part of the northeast quarter, all of Sec. 5,Twp. 57, R. 18. When the railroad was completed to the place, Thayer was made a temporary division, which was expected and promised to become permanent. The round house was established and some temporary shops, and for a town, Thayer promised to realize the fondest hopes. A good many stores were built and a great deal of business was done. But alas for Thayer! The
[Page 15]

THAYER (Cont)

railroad officials decided to locate its division at Brookfield and Thayer gradually dwindled away and in March, 1861, it was vacated by special act of the Legislature. The site is now occupied by a farm.
LINN CO., 655, 756.
"WHIG TOWN"
See North Salem.
"WOLF GROVE"
See Fountain Grove.
THE TOWN OF WYANDOTT     Bucklin Township.
Prior to the establishment of Bucklin, the only semblance of a town in the township was Wyandotte, a hamlet that stood on the northeast quarter of Sec. 29, Twp. 58, R. 18. The location was at a crossroad. About 1850 Allen & Wyatt opened a store. Then came another merchant named Sharp; then some mechanics and other people until there were half a dozen or more houses. The first post-office in the township was at Coulson's Mill, on Yellow Creek, but in 1853 the office and its name was changed from Coulson's Mill to Wyandotte. C. G. Fields was the first postmaster. Wyandotte was named by Dr. Rooker. Elections were held here for some years, when this portion of the county was in Yellow Creek Township.. Wyandotte was vacated September 1, 1862. The site is now a good farm.
LINN CO., p. 655.

Linn County Table of Contents
Local History Home