A Directory of Towns, Villages, and Hamlets
Past and Present
of Madison County, Missouri

Compiled by Arthur Paul Moser


[1]

Allbright

Allbright was in the southern edge of Big Creek Township southeast of Buckhorn.
Map of Missouri, 1939, Rand, McNally & Co.
Blush
Blush was in the northern part of the county, near St. Francois line, between Lance and Catherine.
Map of Missouri, 1903, Geo. F. Crum.
Buckhorn
Buckhorn is located at Sec. 28, 29, Township 31 N, R. 7 E, at the junction of Highways B & N, near Wayne County line.
General Highway Map of Madison County, issued by The Missouri State Highway Dept., 6-1-64. Unless otherwise noted all map descriptions are from this map.

Mail via Marquand.
Standard Reference Guide of Missouri, 1974, Rand, McNally & Co.

Catherine (Slabtown)
It is located at Section 1, Township 33 N, Range 6 E, on Highway 61 north of Fredericktown.
Also Maps of Missouri, 1903; Map of Missouri, 1939.

Mail via Fredericktown.
Standard Reference Guide of Missouri, 1974, Rand, McNally & Co.

Cobalt Village (Cobalt City)
It is located at Section 16, Township 33 N, Range 7 E, on Business 67, at the southeast edge of Fredericktown.
Cornwall
It is located at Section 31, Township 33 N, Range 7 E, on Highway F.
Also, see New Atlas of Missouri, Campbell, 1874, Map # 31.

Mail via Fredericktown.
Standard Reference Guide of Missouri, 1974, Rand, McNally & Co.

There was a post-office there in 1917-18.
Missouri Manual, p. 638.

DeGuire
DeGuire was in St. Francois Township, at Section 27, Township 32 N, Range 7 E.
Map of Missouri, 1894, Rand, McNally & Company, with the aid of General Highway Map of Madison County.
[2]

Faro

Faro was southeast of French Mills.
Map of Missouri, 1939, Rand, McNally & Company.
Fredericktown
The village of St. Michaels, of which Fredericktown is the successor, was established about 1802 by French families that had received grants of land in the vicinity. It consisted of a little cluster of log houses, some twelve or fifteen in number and a store kept by Charles F. Goin. When, in June, 1814, the Saline and Castor Creeks overflowed their banks, and drove the inhabitants out, some of the families refused to return, and established what was known as the new village, one and one-half miles north of St. Michaels, where in 1820 a church was built. In 1819 Fredericktown was laid off on the Saline, opposite St. Michaels, on land owned by Nathaniel Cook. It was named in honor of George Frederick Bollinger, of Cape Girardeau County. The first stores were opened by S. A. Guignon, S. B. Pratte, and Moses and Calet Cox.
History of Southeast Missouri, 1888, Goodspeed, pp. 446, 447.

It covers several sections in Township 33 N, Range 7 E, at the junction of Highways 72, 61, & 67.

French Mills
French Mills was located at Section 22, Township 33 N, Range 5 E, in the western part of the county, on an unmarked county road south of E.
Higdon
Higdon was located at Section 4, Township 33 N, Range 8 E, in the northeast corner of the county on Highway NN, north of J.
Jewett
Jewett is located at Section 10, 11, Township 31 N, Range 9 E, at the junction of Highways C & N.

Mail via Annapolis (Iron County).
Standard Reference Guide of Missouri, 1974, Rand, McNally & Co.

Junction City
It is located at Section 5, Township 33 N, Range 7 E, on Highway 72 at the northeast edge of Fredericktown.

Mail via Fredericktown.
Standard Reference Guide of Missouri, 1974, Rand, McNally & Co.

Lance
Lance was located at Section 1 & 2, Township 33 N, Range 5 E, at the junction of Highways K & 72.
[3]

Marquand

Marquand was laid out on land owned by Henry Whitener, in 1869. The first business house was built by John Q. Whitener, who opened a store in partnership with Jacob Lutes. The town was named in honor of W. G. Marquand, who made a donation of $1,000 for a church. There were three churches, three general stores and a large flouring mill, (1888). History of Southeast Missouri, 1888, Goodspeed, p. 449.

It is located at Section 28, Township 32 N, Range 8 E, near Bollinger County line.

Marsh Creek
Marsh Creek was a post-office in 1929-30. Missouri Manual, p. 942. (Location is unknown.)
Mill Creek
Mill Creek is a post-office, located at Sec. undetermined, Township 33 N, Range 6 E, on Highway T, southwest of Fredericktown.
Standard Reference Guide of Missouri, 1974, Rand, McNally & Co.
Mine La Motte
Mine La Motte was discovered by a Mr. Renault, about the year 1723 or 1724, who made an exploration, but finding no silver ore abandoned it. About the year 1725 a man by the name of La Motte opened and wrought the mine, after whom it was called. About the years 1738-40, the Mine a La Motte was considered a public property, and the people in general were allowed to work it. At that time it furnished about all the lead exported from the Illinois. But soon after the discovery and opening of the Mine a Burton, at Potosi, the Mine a la Motte was in a great measure abandoned, the mineral at Mine a Burton being much easier smelted.
History of Southeast Missouri, 1888, Goodspeed, pp. 213-214.

Mine La Motte, four miles north of Fredericktown, and two and one-half miles from the station of that name was an unusual town, not having any saloons and contained about 300 inhabitants, principally miners and mechanics, and mostly steady working citizens.
Campbell's Gazetteer of Missouri, Campbell, 1874, p. 342; Encyclopedia of the History of Missouri, 1901, Conard, Vol. 4, pp. 389, 390.

It is located at Section 29, Township 34 N, Range 7 E, on Highway OO.

Oak Grove
Oak Grove is located at Section 4, 9, Township 33 N, Range 6 E, at the junction of D & 72 west of Fredericktown.

Mail via Fredericktown.
Standard Reference Guide of Missouri, 1974, Rand, McNally & Co.

[4]

Roselle

Roselle is in the northwest corner of the county, near Iron County line, on Highway 72 west of the junction with NN. It is located at Section 31, Township 34 N, Range 5 E, and Section 5, Township 33 N, same Range.

Mail via Rural branch of Ironton.
Standard Reference Guide of Missouri, 1974, Rand, McNally & Co.

Saco
Saco is a post-office located at Section 18, Township 31 N, Range 5 E, on an unmarked county road north of Highway C.
St. Michaels
See Fredericktown.
Silvermine
Silvermine is in the northwest corner of the county, south of Lance.
Map of Missouri, 1903, Geo. F. Crum.

Mail via Fredericktown.
Standard Reference Guide of Missouri, 1974, Rand, McNally & Co.

Slabtown
Slabtown is located at Section 1, Township 33 N, Range 6 E, on Highway 61, northwest of Fredericktown. See Catherine.
Twelvemile
Twelvemile was located at Section 14, Township 31 N, Range 6 E, on Highway 67 north of N.

It was 5 miles southwest of Zion, near Twelvemile Creek.
The State of Missouri, in 1904, p. 439.

Zion
Zion is located at Section 30, 31, Township 32 N, Range 7 E, on an unmarked county road west of 67, north of the junction with JJ.

Mail via Fredericktown.
Standard Reference Guide of Missouri, 1974, Rand, McNally & Co.


Madison County Table of Contents
Local History Home