A Directory of Towns, Villages, and Hamlets
Past and Present
of Maries County, Missouri

Compiled by Arthur Paul Moser

[1]

Barnett

See Manton.
Campbell's Gazetteer of Mo., p.347.
Belle
Belle is a post-office on the northern line. J. S. Ridenour was the leading business man.
State of Missouri, Hist. of Maries Co, p.617.

Belle is located at the junction of Highways 28, 42, 89 and M, on the line between Maries and Osage Counties.
Highway Map of Maries Co., issued by The State Highway Commission, 10-1-72. Unless othervise noted all map descriptions are from this map.

Bend
Bend was located at Sections 19 & 20, Township 40 N, Range 8 W, at the junction of Highways K & Z.

The post-office was discontinued July 31, 1917; thereafter it was supplied from Vienna.
Missouri Manual, 1917-1918, p.644.

Bloomington
Bloomington was located at Sec. 1, Twp. 39 N, Range 8 W. Although not a post-office, it was once a rival for the county seat. It had a store, blacksmith and wagon shop. William Smith and George Lindner were the leading business men.
Hist. of Maries Co., p. 617.

It is no more. See Lane's Prairie.

Bloomgarden
A possible location was at Sec. 2, Twp. 39 N, Range 9 W.
New Atlas of Mo., 1874, Campbell, in connection with the General Highway Map of Maries Co.
Broadway
It is a post-office listed in Missouri Manual, 1901-02, p.471. It was in the southeast corner of the County, in Twp. 39.
Sectional Map of Mo., 1901, Rand, McNally & Co.
Brinktown
It is a post-office located at Sec. 12, Twp. 39 N, Range 11 W, at the junction of Highways 138 & N.
[2]

Cadmus

It is a post-office listed in Missouri Manual, 1901-02, p.471.

It was in the southeast corner of the County, east of the Gasconade River.
Sectional Map of Mo., 1901, Rand, McNally & Co.

Clifty Dale
It was a post-office listed in Gazetteer of Mo., p.348. It was 10 miles east of Vienna. It is not listed in Missouri Manual, 1901-02.
Dan
A post-office listed in Missouri Manual, 1901-02, p.471. It was in the northeast corner of the county, near the Gasconade County line.
Sectional Map of Mo., 1901, Rand, McNally & Co.

It is no longer listed. It was named for the Biblical City, as "from Dan to Beer­sheba."
Our Storehouse of Missouri Place Names, Ramsay, pp.100, 101.

Grovedale
It contained a post-office and store kept by I. J. Love. Its location was at Sec. 11, Twp. 40 N, Range 7 W.
Hist. of Maries Co., p.618.
Hayden
It is a post-office located at Sec. 25, Twp. 39 N, Range 10 W, on Highway E, east of 28.
High Gate
It is a post-office located at Sec. 35, Twp. 40 N, Range 7 W.
Hist. of Maries Co., p.618. As of 1972 there was a post-office here.
High Grove
It was a post-office located at Sec. 34, Twp. 39 N, Range 7 W.
Hist. of Maries Co., p. 618.
It was a post-office on Spanish Prairie, 10 miles north, northwest of St. James, its nearest railroad station, and about 18 miles southeast of Vienna.
Gazetteer. of Mo., p.348.
[ 3 ]

Indian Village (or Town)

It was on the Gasconade at Indian Ford. Indian Town, as it was called, was on the west bank of the Gasconade, east of Vienna.
Hist. of Maries Co., p. 587.
Kinderhook
The first post-office was Kinderhook ( named in honor of President Van Burenís home), about 1837, near Lane's Ford.
IBID: p. 593.
Lacon
Lacon was a post-office 8 miles northwest of Vienna.
Gazetteer of Mo., p.348.
Lane's Prairie (Bloomington)
It was 12 miles east of Vienna, and about 12 miles north of St. James (Phelps Co.), its nearest station. It contained 2 stores and 1 wagon shop.
IBID: p. 348.

It was a post-office located at Sec. 30, Twp. 40 N, Range 7 W.
Hist. of Maries Co., p. 618.

Light
It is located at Sec. 31, Twp. 39 N, Range 7 W, near Phelps Co. line, on an unmarked road south of P. No population is shown, but mail is via St. James (Phelps Co.).
Lindell
It was a post-office located at Sec. 25, Twp. 40 N, Range 8 W.
IBID: p. 618.
Manton (Barnett)
Manton was a post-office located at Sec. 22, Twp. 41 N, Range 11 W.
IBID: p. 618.

It was located at the northwest corner of the county, on the road leading from Jefferson City to Vienna, and was 14 miles northwest of the latter place and Contained 1 hotel, 1 saddle and harness shop and 2 stores.
Gazetteer of Mo., p.348.

Maries
It was a post-office located at Sec. 17 & 18, Twp. 39 N, Range 11 W.
Hist. of Maries Co., p. 618.
[ 4 ]

Pay Down

Pay Down was a post-office and mill under the direction of T. A. Bray. The first store was run by a man named Clasby, at Pay Down (afterward so named by Thomas Kinsey when it was made into a post-office), when Peter Waldo (also given as Walter) owned the mill there. Mr. Wherry was also proprietor at one time, when Mr. Kinsey put in his carding machine later on; it was the first factory and the only one the town ever had.
Hist. of Maries Co., pp. 618, 592, 593.

It was 10 miles northeast of Vienna, on the Gasconade, at the mouth of Spring Creek. It contained 1 woolen, carding and 2 grist mills.
Gazetteer of Mo., p.348.

It was located at Sec. 3 & 10, Twp. 40 N, Range 8 W, on Highway K, north of Z. The post-office was discontinued as of 1933-34.
Missouri Manual, p. 896.

Rader
Rader was located at Sec. 33, Twp. 41 N, Range 9 W, on Highway 63, north of Vienna, south of the Osage Co. line.
Safe
Safe had a mill and a store, owned by G. H. Essman, the postmaster. It is located at Sec. 23, Twp. 39 N, Range 7 W. The mail now is through St. James (Phelps Co.).
Santee
It is a post-office listed in Missouri Manual, 1901-02, p. 471. It was in the southwestern part of the county, due north of Dixon (Pulaski Co.).
Sect. Map of Mo., Rand, McNally & Co. It is no longer listed.
Shantytown
It was located at Sec. 8, Twp. 38 N, Range 10 W, on High-way 28, north of the Pulaski Co. line.
Steen's Prairie
It was a post-office 15 miles northeast of Vienna.
Gazetteer of Mo., p.348. It was located at Sec. 32, Twp. 41 N, Range 7 W.
Stickney
It was located at Sec. 32, Twp. 39 N, Range 9 W, on Highway E, near Phelps Co. line. There was a post-office there in 1905-06.
Missouri Manual, p.386.
[ 5 ]

Sudheimer

It was a post-office in 1907-08.
Missouri Manual, p.477.

It was in the western part of the county, near Miller County line.
Map of Western States, 1911, Rand, McNally & Co.

Summerfield
It is located at Sec. 22, Twp. 41 N, Range 8 W, on Highway J, near Osage County line. Mail through Belle.
Tavern
It was a store and post-office located on Sec. 6, Twp. 39 N, Range 11 W. The leading business man was S. P. Tucker.
Hist. of Maries Co., p. 618. It is gone.
Van Cleve
It was a post-office located at Sec. 16, Twp. 40 N, Range 11 W, on Highway 133.
Hist. of Maries Co., p.618; Gen. Highway Map of Maries Co. Mail through Meta (Osage Co.).
Venus
Venus was a post-office in 1913-14.
Missouri Manual, p. 598

It was discontinued in l933-34.
Missouri Manual, p. 896. Mail now through Vienna.

Veto
Veto is located at Sec. 26, Twp. 39 N, Range 8 W, west of junction of Highways 63 & F. The post-office was discontinued in 1933-34. Mail through Vichy.
Missouri Manual, p. 896.
Vienna
It was settled in 1855; had a population of about 250. It contained a neat brick school house, a newspaper, 2 churches, Catholic and Methodist, 1 hotel, 4 stores and 1 wagon shop.
Gazetteer of Mo., p. 348.

The first business house was a grocery by John Felker. The first building was Dr. V. G. Lathem's house. Two fires occurred in the late 1860ís.
Hist. of Maries Co., pp. 612, 613.

It is located at Sec. 20 & 29, Twp. 40 N, Range 9 W, at the junction of Highways 42 & 63. See opening remarks in the front of this Directory.

[ 6  ]

Vichy

This town was first boomed as a mineral spring resort. The land on which the town is located was first entered April 5, 1859, by Joseph Green, and the first resident was George Clymer. Love and Fritts opened a general store. R. J. Walker had a restaurant; Bowles & Holloway were druggists. The Forrest Hotel was built in 1880 by R. W. Anderson. Thomas W. Roberson and others presented a petition to the county court on March 28, 1882 for the incorporation of the town of Vichy. The petition was granted; however, it was short lived. It was not until 1880 that the place was laid out in lots.
Hist. of Maries Co., pp. 615, 616.

It was named for the French city of Vichy in 1880.
Our Storehouse of Missouri Place Names, Ramsay, p.30.

It is located at Sec. 12, Twp. 39 N, Range 8 W, on Highway 28, south of 68.

Viessman
It was northwest of Weldon and southeast of Tavern.
Sec. Map of Mo., 1901, Rand, McNally & Co.
Weldon
It was a post-office located at Sec. 18, Twp. 39 N, Range 10 W.
Hist. of Maries Co., p. 618.

It was 9 miles southwest of Vienna.
Gazetteer of Mo., p. 348.


Maries County Table of Contents
Local History Home