A Directory of Towns, Villages, and Hamlets
Past and Present
of McDonald County, Missouri

Compiled by Arthur Paul Moser


Page 1

ABO

A country store with postoffice; established by Thomas Russell 7 March 1882. Leland M. Payne became 2nd postmaster 19 July 1883. The office was discontinued 8 March 1886, and mail was sent to Tribulation.
--Mrs. Pauline Carnell, President McDonald Co. Historical Society.

There was a post-office by this name, Abo, in Laclede County, in 18931894.
--MISSOURI MANUAL for those years, p 288.

ALVARADO
This post-office was 3 1/2 miles south of Rocky Comfort.
--THE STATE OF MISSOURI, in 1904, Walter Williams, p 435.
The post-office was established 14 March 1903, by Homer C. Rogers, its only postmaster. It was discontinued 30 April 1904. Mrs. Carnell writes, "I have a copy of Mr. Rogers' commission to be postmaster, also, a map showing Alvarado, Mo., 30 April 1904.
--Mrs. Pauline Carnell.
ANDERSON     (Earlier Beaver Spring)
A post-office, established 21 September 1886. Named for  Robert Anderson, who owned the store where the post-office was first located. He was the 1st postmaster.
--PLACE NAMES; Mrs. Pauline Carnell.

It is located at Section 2, Township 22 N, Range 23 W.
--GENERAL HIGWAY MAP OF MCDONALD COUNTY, issued by The Missouri State Highway Department. Unless otherwise noted, all map descriptions are from this map.

ARNETT
This store post-office was 5 miles northeast of Jane.
--THE STATE OF MISSOURI, in 1904 Williams, p 435.
The post-office was established 8 July 1898 and discontinued 15 August 1916. First postmaster, Jackson L. Cook; last postmaster, John R. Akelhurst. Thereafter, mail was sent to Jane.
--Mrs. Pauline Carnell.
BALADAN     BLANKENSHIP' S MILLS     MCNATT
These 3 names are one and the same, with Indian Springs, being 1 mile north. *

This town, on Indian Creek, was 11 miles north, northeast of Pineville. It contained 1 store and a saw and grist
mill.
--GAZETTEER OF MISSOURI, Campbell, 1874, p 330.

Baladan post-office was established 28 March 1872, by Joseph Baker. Robert Anderson was last postmaster, and the office was changed to Indian Springs, 4 November 1881.
--Pauline Carnell, also *, same person.

Page 2

BANNOCK (later ENTERPRISE)

See, GAZETTEER OF MISSOURI, Campbell, 1874, p 330.

However, Campbell seems to be in error, as Mrs. Carnell says that Bannock was several miles from Enterprise. It was a country store with a mail drop, but not a post-office. There is nothing there today.
--Mrs. Pauline Carnell.

Bannock, a promising village on Buffalo Creek in the old days, is said to have been named by Bill Roberts. Mr. Lee Russell, whose people lived in the vicinity years ago, says that the name means "some kind of Injun Puddin'."
--PLACE NAMES

BEAVERSPRING (now ANDERSON)
Named for the beavers which built near the spring.
--PLACE NAMES.

It was a large spring around which a small village used to be. Today at the north edge of Anderson, Mo. Beaver Spring post-office was established by Coleman W. Chamman, 29 Sept. 1854.  discontinued 27 June 1867. James W. Tatum was second and last postmaster.
--Mrs. Pauline Carnell.

BETHPAGE
Bethpage was 11 miles northeast of Pineville. It had 1 store, a post-office and a school.
--GAZETTEER OF MISSOURI, p 330; Mrs. Pauline Carrell.

It was founded about 1855, and was named for the Biblical town. It is no longer on the map.
--OUR STOREHOUSE OF MISSOURI PLACE NAMES, Ramsay, pp 100-101.

There was a post-office there from 16 March 1858 to 28 Feb.1910. James Brook first postmaster, 20 Nov. 1863, to 14 Sept. 1868. Discontinued due to Civil War. Last post-master was Hugh A. Self, who was postmaster from 1 June 1897, to 28 Feb. 1910.
--Mrs. Pauline Carnell.

Bethpage, 12 miles northeast of Pineville, at the head of a branch or Indian Creek, may be said to be one of the old settlements of the county.
--STATE OF MISSOURI, HISTORY OF MCDONALD CO., 1888. It was located at Section 26, Township 23 N, Range 31 W.

BLAIR MILL (later PLUMMER; then BLANKENSHIP; then MCNATT)
A log, saw and grist mill owned and located in 1854 by Nathan Blair.
--PLACE NAMES.
But Mrs. Pauline Carnell says that she never heard nor read of Blair Mill, nor Plummer.
Page 3

BLANKENSHIP'S MILL

See Baladan
GAZETTEER OF MISSOURI, p 330.

Earlier Blair, then Plummer, later McNatt.

A mill owned by a Mr. Lorenz J. Blankenship in 1870.
--PLACE NAMES; Mrs. Pauline Carnell.
(Mrs. Carnell adds "From GODSPEED'S HISTORY OF BARRY AND NEWTON COUNTIES, of 1888, John McNatt was son-in-law to Lorenz J. Blankenship, having married Mary Blankenship."

BOSKY DELL
Only a tourist camp. It was located at east end of bridge over Indian Creek, from Lanagan, on site of Harper. "I came by this place today, (June 3, 1973) and it is now named Lee's Court.
--Mrs. Pauline Carnell.
BUFFALO
Surveyed for John and William B. Pogue, August 23, l881; named for the creek of that name. (Goodspeed, p 803.)

It was only a country store said to have at one time a mail drop and gas pump.
--Mrs. Pauline Carnell.

It was on the northwest quarter of the northwest quarter of Section 13, Township 23 N, Range 24 W.
--STATE OF MISSOURI, HISTORY OF MCDONALD CO., p 803.

CAMP FOLLIS
A summer resort, probably named for some family.
--PLACE NAMES.

Mrs. Carnell writes: "Never heard of it. On Big Sugar Creek, near Cyclone, used to be a Camp Tildon. It is no more.)"

CAVERNA
Appears as early as 1876 in Postal Guide; discontinued between 1904-10. Named for the numerous caves in the vicinity.
--PLACE NAMES.

It was established 17 Jan. 1876 by Thomas B. Perkins, postmaster of White Rock Prairie post-office. He moved the offce 3 miles south from today's Jane, and named the new office Caverna. The office discontinued 22 Oct.1906. Clyde H. Sooter, last postmaster.
--Mrs. Pauline Carnell.

It was located at sections 27 & 34, Township 21 N, Range 31 W, on Highway 71 near the Arkansas border.

Page 4

COVE

This was a country store on Trent's Creek, or today's Highway 90. A post-office was established 18 Sept. 1894, and discontinued 28 Feb. 1907. Ida M. Butler was clerk and Henry L. Schrader was its postmaster. It was 4 1/2 miles northeast of Mountain.
--Mrs. Pauline Carnell; STATE OF MISSOURI, in 1904, p 435.
COWSKIN
Cowskin was 7 1/2 miles north of Southwest City.
--THE STATE OF MISSOURI, in 1904, p 435.

The post-office was established 19 Jan. 1897, and discontinued 15 Oct.1907. It was opened again in the 1930's but it didn't last long. It was on the Old Stat Line Road, (Mo. and Okla.), on the south bank of Elk River, and a mile west of Old Elk Mills. It was probably named for the river.
--Mrs. Pauline Carnell. PLACE NAMES.

COY
Coy is on the Rural Free Delivery, east from Anderson.
--THE STATE OF MISSOURI, in 1904, p 435.

The post-office was established by Thomas H. Wimpey 12 Feb. 1886; discontinued 18 Dec. 1903. Lafayette Langley last  postmaster. Coy once had a distillery, store, and post-office.
--Mrs.Pauline Carrell.

The town of Coy was surveyed by D. Thrasher, March 11, 1886. The location is on the north half of the northeast quarter of Section 7, Township 22 N, Range 23 West.
--STATE OF MISSOURI, HISTORY OF MCDONALD  CO.,

CRYSTAL SPRINGS
A town which sprang up in the eighties about the Medical Springs of that name; the springs were so called because of the clearness of the water.
--PLACE NAMES.
(Mrs. Carnell writes: "It was surveyed but never became a town.
Page 5

CYCLONE

Cyclone was on Sugar Creek, 8 miles north of Pineville.
--THE STATE OF MISSOURI, in 1904, p 435.

A post-office established in 1883, and named from the great cyclone of April 18, 1880, that passed through this part of the state.
--PLACE NAMES

Mrs. Carnell write: "Nothing today, but at one time a small Village, with a store. Had a post-office 13 Nov. 1883 to July 15, 1955. It had 19 postmasters, from Robert H. Miller to John C. Kelley. The post-office was burned out in July 1955." She adds that the account of the naming of the town for the great cyclone of April, 1880 is correct according to Goodspeed; 1888.

DONOHUE     (Earlier WADE; now GOODMAN)
The post-office was established 13 May 1895, and discontinued in 1898; probably named for an early settler. It had only one postmaster, Alonzo. W. Burton.
--PLACE NAMES; Mrs. Pauline Carnell
ELK MILLS
An early settlement established before the Civil War, and named for the mill which was situated on the Elk River.  The office was discontinued in 1889. The McDonald County Historical Society has re-established this place and had a meeting there. The post-officewas established by James A.
Scott ,11 April 1848, and discontinued 28 Nov. l888, with Lalla H. Osborne, last postmaster.
--Mrs. Carnell; PLACE NAMES
ELK MILLS
This community was about fifteen miles west of Pineville, on the south bank of Elk River, and one of the oldest places in the county. It is a trading-post for the adjacent part of Indian Territory (now Oklahoma), and contained 2 stores.
--GAZETTEER OF MISSOURI, 1874, Campbell, p 330. Also, see STATE OF MISSOURI, HISTORY OF MCDONALD CO., p 801.
ELK SPRINGS     (earlier RUTLEDGE, then MADGE)
The post-office was established 18 Sept. 1849, by Larkin McGhee, as Rutledge, the first county seat of McDonald County. Elk River flows by this place.
--Mrs. Carnell.
Page 6

ENTERPRISE

About seventeen miles west of Pineville, laid out in 1835, it contained 1 store a grist-saw mill, 60 acre peach orchard, and a distillery.
--GAZETTEER OF MISSOURI; Mrs. Carnell.

It can be assumed that the name derives from an ideal listing of place names.
--OUR STOREHOUSE OF MISSOURI PLACE NAMES, Ramsay, p 91.

Enterprise was an old town, long since gone, located somewhere on Patterson's Creek. It was an important trading­post before the Civil War.
--PLACE NAMES.

The post-office was established 4 Oct. 1844 by David M. Hardin. Discontinued 12 Jan. 1875 with D. C. Hopkins, post-master. This office was discontinued for 3 years (1863-1866) due to the Civil War.
--Mrs. Pauline Carnell.

ERIE
Erie was located east of Goodman and was not on the railroad as Goodman is. When the railroad first came through, there was a place north of where Goodman is that was called Erie Station, where passengers and freight were loaded or unloaded, then hauled to the town of Erie, which was on the old Neosho to Pineville road. On the railroad was first Wade; Donohue; and Goodman, all one town, but NOT Erie.
--Mrs. Pauline Carnell

Erie was surveyed in 1868 for Daniel Harmon, the owner of the land, and for him the first house was built.

The post-office was established at John M. Harmon's house, 10 Aug., 1858, and continued there until his death in 1862. From this period until 8 June 1871, when Dr. John L. Sellers re-established the office there was no postal service known here. (The Civil War was the cause.) Prior to 1871 the people of Indian Creek and the Baladan neighborhood had to come to Erie for their mail.
--STATE OF MISSOURI, HISTORYOF MCDONALD CO, pp 804-805.
Mrs. Pauline CarneIl.

Erie was located at Sections 10, 11, 14, 15, Township 23 N, Range 32 W, on Highway C, east of Goodman.

FIVE STAR     (See Newville)
A town which sprang up in the early 1880's about the spring of that name. It was abandoned in a few years due to a flood.
--PLACE NAMES; Mrs. Pauline Carrell.
Page 7

FLINT

A post-office established 15 April 1890, and discontinued 18 Sept. 1894. It was located 3 1/2 miles west of Lanagan. The only postmaster was Wm. M. Parnell.
--Mrs. Pauline Carnell.
GATES
Gates was a post-office 13 miles northwest of Pineville. It was established 15 June l847, by Richard Price. Closed Nov. 1863 to Feb. 1867, due to the Civil War. Last postmaster was John Price. Later, their mail came to May, Mo., same location.
--GAZETTEER OF MISSOURI, p 330; Mrs. Pauline Carnell.

Gates is not listed in MISSOURI MANUAL,  for 1893-94, the earliest MANUAL to list-post-offices.
However, Gates is listed in the Postal Guide for 1861, as being in Newton County; Newton County for a time was a part of McDonald County, and the error is an honest one.

GINGER BLUE
A resort so named for no other reason than advertisement.
--PLACE NAMES.

It is on Highway 59, north of Noel.
--PERSONAL OBSERVATION; Mrs. Pauline Carnell.

GIVENSVILLE
A post-office, 11 miles southwest of Pineville.
--GAZETTEER OF MISSOURI, p 331.

Frank Bennett established a post-office 13 Jan. 1871. This office sat on the Arkansas-Missouri border and had 3 postmasters, the others being James F. Lindsay, and W. C. Woodruff. The post-office was discontinued 4 Feb. 1874.
--Mrs. Pauline Carnell.

GOODMAN     (earlier ERIE STATION then DONOHUE)
A post-office established 23 Oct. 1897 by Henry Stites. It was named for a Mr. L. A. Goodman, from Kansas City, who came there as superintendent of the Ozark Orchard Company.
--PLACE NAMES; Mrs. Pauline Carnell.

It is near the Newton County line, on the K. C. S. R.R.
--THE STATE OF MISSOURl, in 1904, p 435.

It is located at Section 8, Township 23 N, Range 32 West.

Page 8

GOTHAM     ('nick-name' later WHITE ROCK; then WHITE ROCK PRAIRIE; nov officially JANE)

Also spelled Gottem or Gottam, and still preferred by very old residents to the later names. These spellings indicate that the local pronunciation preserve the true British pronunciation of this place name, usually pronounced by Americans Godam. The origin of the McDonald County name, says Mr. Randolph, is shrouded in mystery; but the English town derives its chief fame from the "three wise men of Gotham", of Mother Goose. Possibly for this reason, or more likely because the pronunciation suggested an obvious pun, it became a subject for ridicule and was changed to White Rock or Jane.

Mr. Albert Price, lifelong resident of Pineville, says (according to Mr. Randolph) that Gottam is the real old original name, but it was looked upon as a sort of joke, even then.
--PLACE NAMES. (Mr. Vance Randloph was a noted Ozarks writer.)

HARPER
A post-office, established 26 Dec. 1882, and discontinued 15 Jan. 1888. Harper was a grist mill, store and post-office and was located east across Indian Creek from present day Lanagan. The town moved when the Kansas City Southern Railroad came on the other side of the creek. Harper  was located where Boskey Dell resort, (q. v.) is today. Harper Caldwell was the man who first introduced the telephone to McDonald County citizens.
--Mrs. Pauline Carnell.
HART
A post-office, established 2 April 1883 and discontinued 15 August 1911; named for Phillip Rinehart, its first post­master. However, Eaton says it was named for Y. B. Hart, a neaby resident.
--PLACE NAMES Mrs. Pauline Carnell.

Hart was six miles south of Seneca, (Newton Co.)
--THE STATE OF MISSOURI, in 1904, p 435.

It was named in 1883 for W. B. Hart, who lived nearby.
--OUR STOREHOUSE OF MISSOURI PLACE NAMES, Ramsay, p80.

There are post-offices listed for Hart in MISSOURI MANUAL, 1893-94, p 292; also in GENERAL SCHEME, Dec. 1905, p 64.

It was located at Section 16, Township 23 N, Range 34 W.

HAVENHURST
It was a grist mill and store, that burned in 1962. A small settlement but never a town.
--Mrs. Pauline Carnell.
It is southeast of Pineville, and is located at Section 2, Township 21 N, Range 32 W.
Page 9

HONEY CREEK

See SOUTHWEST CITY
--GAZETTEER OF MISSOURI, 1874, p 331.

The first post-office in this county, it was established when it was Newton Co., by Burton McGhee, 22 May 1843. This McGhee was the first clerk of McDonald Co., and a brother to Larkin McGhee.
--Mrs. Pauline Carnell.

A post-office, named for Honey Creek which flows near it. Now known as South West City.
--PLACE NAMES

HOWE
This post-office town was 4 or 5 miles southeast of Bethpage.
--THE STATE OF MISSOURI, in 1904, p 435.

The post-office was established 2 April 1900 by Erastus H. Stewart, and discontinued 31 July 1905.
--Mrs. Pauline Carnell.

INDIAN SPRINGS
Indian Springs, one mile north of Blankenship's Mills, and one mile from the south line of Newton Co., on Section 6 Township 23, Range 30, dates back as a village to July 7, 1881. The incorporation of Indian Springs was granted by county court in 1881.
--STATE OF MISSOURI, HISTORY OF MCDONALD CO., pp 790-793.
INDIAN CAMP SPRINGS
Russell W. Williams established the post-office 25 May 1885. It had 5 postmasters, and 26 Oct., 1889, it was moved back to McNatt Mill and name was changed to McNatt.
--Mrs. Pauline Carnell.

A resort built soon after the Civil War and named for Indian Creek, which was dammed up by the promoters of the place to form a lake.
--PLACE NAMES.

JACKETT
A post-office established 27 Jan.1907 by Henry D. Schill, and discontinued 30 April 1930.
--Mrs. Pauline Carnell.

It was located at Section 10, Township 21 N, Range 29 W, on Kighway KK, near the Arkansas border.

Page 10

JANE     (earlier WHITE ROCK PRAIRIE)

A post-office established by Samuel L. Rose, 23 Aug. 1882. Jane is a small village named for a daughter of the first post­master.
--Mrs. Pauline Carnell.

Jane is 7 miles southeast of Pineville, and 5 miles southwest of Arnett.
--THE STATE OF MISSOURI, in 1904, p 435.

It is located at Section 17, Township 21 N, Range 32 W.

KOONS
Stella Sims established the Simsberry post-office in her store, 7 May 1907; then she and her husband moved to Rocky Comfort for a short time and Espy L. Northcutt took over this office and changed the name to Koons, 7 Jan.1917. The office was discontinued 30 Nov.1918 and was located just south of the intersection of Highway 90 & E.
--Mrs. Pauline Carnell.
LANAGAN
Frank Weston established the post-office 6 Mar. 1891.
--Mrs. Pauline Carnell.

It is 5 miles north of Noel.
--THE STATE OF MISSOURI, in 1904, p 435.

It is located at Section 36, Township 21 N, Range 33W.

A post-office which was established in 1891; named, of course, from the earlier community, Lanagan's Addition.
--PLACE NAMES.

LANAGAN'S ADDITION     (now LANAGAN)
Said to have been named for an Irish railroad official.
--PLACE NAMES.
LONGVIEW
Only a community with store, cafe, and until May of 1973, a locker plant that has now burned.
It is located at Section 12 Township 23 N, Range 30 W, at the intersection of Highways 76 & CC.
Page 11

LOONIESVILLE

 
See Tribulation.
--GAZETTEER OF MISSOURI, p 330.

Tribulation, Abo, and Newsville were all in the same area. Looniesville post-office was established 28 April 1857, by Henry H. Fox. On 13 Feb. 1871, Mr. Fox requested the name changed to Tribulation.
--Mrs. Pauline Carnell.

MAY
A post-office established by Dr. Lyman Maynard, 18 Nov. 1844. Only 3 postmasters served this office; the other two were George W. Murray and D. F. Barrow. The office was discontinued 26 Sept.1907. This office and Gates were very near. The May office was named for a daughter of Mr. Maynard's, May.
--Mrs. Pauline Carnell.

May was eight miles west of Goodman.
--THE STATE OF MISSOURI, in 1904, p 435.

It was located at Section 5, Township 23 N, Range 33 W, on Highway Y, near the Newton Co. line.

MCGINTY
The post-office was established by Patrick H. Long, 22 Jan. 1906, and discontinued by Mr. Long, 28 Feb. 1907.
--Mrs. Pauline Carnell. (location is unknown.)
MCNATT 'S MILL     (earlier BLAIR; PLUMMER; BLANKENSHIP)
Alfred H. Bryeson, postmaster at Indian Springs requested name change to McNatt, 3 Jan. 1901; discontinued by postmaster Isaac N. Adkins, 31 Aug. 1907.
--Mrs. Pauline Carnell.

A mill owned by J. K. McNatt in 1880.

McNatt was in the north portion of the county near the Newton Co. line.
--THE STATE OF MISSOURI, in 1904, p 435.

It was located at Section 7, Township 23 N, Range 31 W, at the junction of Highways C & CC.

MADGE     (earlier RUTLEDGE; now ELK SPRINGS.)
The post-office at Madge was established 22 Aug. 1891; and discontinued 31 Mar.1903. It was established by John K. Parish. There was a saw mill, and two stone quarries there at one time. Stone was shipped as far away as Kansas City, Mo., and the ballast was used for road bed for the Kansas City Southern R. R. The railroad changed the name to Madge.
--Mrs. Pauline Carrell.

Ozark Wonder Cave is located here.
--Mrs. Carnell.

Page 12

MEDICAL TWIN SPRINGS     (See TWIN SPRINGS.)

The town of Medical Twin Springs was platted for J. P. Madden, September 23, 1881, on the north half of Lot 2, of the Northwest quarter of Section 19, Township 23, North, Range 32. The surveyor was D. Thrasher.
--STATE OF MISSOURI, HISTORY OF MCDONALD CO., p 804.

However, according to Mrs. Pauline CarneII, this was no town, only a dream. NOTE: In making these studies of the various counties, it was a fairly common practice to erect or found towns, solely "on paper." The town site was duly surveyed, and in many cases, town lots were sold, only to have the developer disappear with the money collected.

MORAL
The post-office was established by Daniel H. A. McDonald, 16 July 1904, and discontinued 31 July 1908. Only one post-master.
--Mrs. Pauline Carnell.
MOUNTAIN
A post-office established 3 July 1879 at a store and mill by Henry Schell. It was discontinued 31 Dec.1914. Only two postmasters, the other one being Phil. S. Mahan.
--Mrs. Pauline Carnell.

It was 7 miles northwest of Mayflower, (Barry Co.)
--THE STATE OF MISSOURI, in 1904, p 435.
It was located at Section 13, Township 21, Range 30 W, on Highway KK

NEWVILLE
A post-office established by Hezekiah K. Donley 20 Nov. 1896 and discontinued by him 30 Nov. 1900. It is shown on an old map as being south of Rocky Comfort and Alvarado, on the Barry County line, very near Five Star Spring.
--Mrs. Pauline Carnell.

Newille was eight miles northeast of Powell, on the McDonald-Barry Co. line, nine miles northwest of Washburn, (Barry Co.)
--THE STATE OF MISSOURI, in 1904, p 435.

Page 13

NOEL

The post-office was established 1 Feb. 1886, by Thomas Marshall.
--Mrs. Pauline Carnell.

Mr. Vance Randolph, noted Ozarks writer, finds that it derived its name from some membes of the Noel family which came west from Kentucky in 1846, and is still prominent in local affairs.
--PLACE NAMES

Noel was named by its first postmaster, Thomas Marshall, also founder of the town. Marshall first submitted Cedar Grove and Marshall as names, but it was discovered that Missouri already had towns by those names.

Marshall then suggested Noel, in honor of "Uncle Bridge" Noel, one of the early founders and settlers, and on whose land the town was-built.

While a French heritage is evident in the town's name and in the names of its early settlers, natives have not adopted the French pronunciation.

"We call it 'NO-UL', but we'd like to say 'NO-EL' ", cornments Postmaster Howard Cates. "Perhaps we'll work on that some day."

Noel has been the Christmas Card center since the early 1930's.

A fev miles away from Noel is a roadside marker where a  visitor may stand with the toes of his left foot in Oklahoma, his left heel in Arkansas and his right foot firmly implanted in Missouri. (At Southwest City, q. v.).

In 1961, Noel was inadvertently omitted from the official state map of vacation areas. Consequently McDonald County proclaimed its secession from Missouri to form McDonald Territory, still noted on one of the special Christmas greetings.
--THE MIDWEST MOTORIST, a publication of the Auto Club of Missouri, December, 1970, p 7. The Auto Club is located at 3917 Lindell Blvd., St. Louis. Copyright, used by permission. Additional information by Mrs. Pauline Carnell.

Noel is located at Sections 15-16, Township 21 North, Range 33 West, at the junction of Highways 59 & 90.

NUBIA
A post-office established by Franklin T. Owsley, 7 July 1886, and discontinued by Campbell Owsley, 13 Det.1597. It was located near Simcoe, south and west of Rocky Comfort.
--Mrs. Pauline Carnell.
Page 14

PACK

The post-office was established 11 Feb. 1904, and discontinued 31 May 1906. Frank K. Alexander was the only post­master. Pack was 4 miles southwest of Noel.
--Mrs. Pauline Carnell.
PAYNE
There was a post-office there from 4 Feb. 1894 to 15 May 1909; established by Zachariah Baker, and discontinued by Cloe Owsley. It was 4 miles north of Pineville.
--Mrs. Pauline Carnell.
PEACOCK TOWN
The origin of the name of this community is unknown.
--PLACE NAMES. (Exact location is unknown.)
"I never heard of it."
--Mrs. Pauline Carnell.
PINEVILLE
The county seat, is situated a few miles southwest of the center of the county, and about 22 mi1es south of Neosho, (Newton County), its nearest railroad station, (1874). It was settled in 1856, and laid out in 1860, by Hon. John Gullett. It contained an excellent 2-story brick courthouse, had five stores, 1 hotel, 1 livery stable, 1 wagon shop, a fine grist and saw-mill, a weekly newspaper, a school house and 1 M. E. Church, South.

--GAZETTEER OF MISSOURI, Campbell, 1874, p 331.

It was named in 1847 for the Pine Trees in the vicinity.
--OUR STOREHOUSE OF MISSOURI PLACE NAMES, Ramsay, pp 23 & 86.

The National Archives and Records Service, Washington, D. C., reports that the Pineville post-office was never on record as Maryville.
--Mrs. Pauline Carnell.

PINEVILLE (earlier MARYVILLE)*
*True. Old timers wanted it named Maryville after Mary Mosier, but were turned down due to another Maryville, Mo.
--Mrs. Pauline Carnell.

A town surveyed for Samuel Burke, June 11, 1847, and incorporated November 7, 1873. Sturges (p 69) says that the name was chosen because of a pine forest nearby, but other old­timers contend that the town was named for another Pineville, in Kentucky.
--PLACE NAMES

Page 15

PINEVILLE

The post-office was established 11 Sept. 1849. by John Holpain, and is still in service. Jay Spurlock, of Jane, Mo., is present postmaster.
-Mrs. Pauline Carnell.

Pineville is located on the north edge of Cowskin or Elk River, just below the junction with Sugar Creek. It was surveyed by Nathan Richardson, June 11, l847, for Samuel Burke, the owner.  The plat shows nine blocks, the center one being a public square. On this square, the first court-house at Pineville was built.

There is no record whatever of the vacation of this plat. The original entry is made in the records of Newton County, but beyond this there is no other mention of Maryville. Why the name of Pineville was adopted is unknown. The town stands on the beautiful Vagrant River, some few miles distant from the yellow pine region of the county. Oakville would be more consistent than Pineville, but the original name adopted in 1847 should not be changed, as at that time there was no other Maryville in Missouri.
--STATE OF MISSOURI, A HISTORY OF MCDONALD COUNTY, p 775.

(This history states that Pineville was first known as Maryville, but the reader is referred to the account on the preceding page concerning Maryville-Pineville, and the report of The National Archives and Records Service, Washington, D. C.

PLA-DAZ
A resort obviously named to attract the tourist.
--PLACE NAMES. (Exact location is unknown.)

"I never heard of it."
--Mrs. Pauline Carnell.

PLUMMER MILL (earlier BLAIR; BALADAN; later BLANKENSHIP, then MCNATT)
A mill owned and operated by John Plummer, in 1859, Goodspeed (19) p 794.
--PLACE NAMES. (Mrs. Carnell says: "Could be.")
POPLAR HILL
A post-office established 8 Nov. 1869, by David Cowan, and discontinued 21 June 1876, by James H. Cowan.
--Mrs. Pauline Carnell.

It was about eight miles east, northeast of Pineville, and was situated on Big Sugar Creek.
--GAZETTEER OF MISSOURI, 1874, p 331.

Page 16

POWELL

The post-office was established 19 July 1871 by James E. Yonce. John Boatright is present postmaster. Powell is a small village where Albert Brumley, famed song writer lives
--Mrs. Pauline Carnell.

Powell is 14 miles east, northeast of Pineville.
--GAZETTEER OF MISSOURI, p 331.

It is located at Section 16, Township 22 N, Range 30 W, on Highway E.

PURSELL
Pursell, in the Bethpage community, is a post-office established 11 Sept. 1896, and discontinued 9 Aug. 1897, by Joseph S. Long, its only postmaster.
--Mrs. Pauline Carnell.
RIVERSIDE INN
A hotel, named because of its location over-looking the river.
--PLACE NAMES
This is a resort and has a fine history, but never was a town. It is on Highway H, 3 miles west of Pineville.
--Mrs. Pauline Carnell.
ROCKY COMFORT
The post-office was established by David Hunter, 22 June 1866, and continues today.
--Mrs. Pauline Carnell.

A village so named, according to Sturges, because of the natural surroundings. "The first part of the name was given from the ground being originally covered with rocks on the hillsides, while the beautiful valley with the spring of cold water suggested the name of Comfort." Dr. D. N. Dobbs, an old resident of Rocky Comfort, says that the town was named by one Riley Surgenour, a relative of his about 1849, after his old home, Rocky Comfort, Sevier County, Arkansas.
--PLACE PLACES.

Rocky Comfort is 17 miles northeast of Pineville, and 15 miles south of Pierce City, its shipping point on the A. & P. Railroad (Frisco). It had 2 stores. Population, in 1874 was about 75.
--GAZETTEER OF MISSOURI, p 331.

See Mr. Dennis Murphy 's poem entitled "The Doomed Race", quoted on page 124 of OUR STOREHOUSE OF MISSOURI PLACE NAMES, Ramsay.

It is located at Section 5, Township 23 N, Range 21 W, on Highway 76, near the Newton and Barry County lines.

Page 17

ROLAND

A post-office eatablished 9 Jan. 1891, and discontinued 31 July 1891. John C. Maness was its only postmaster. It was located north of Simcoe on Indian Creek.
--Mrs. Pauline Carnell.
RUTLEDGE (later MADGE--1891-1903; then ELK SPRINGS--l907-l929)
A post-office established 18 Sept. 1849 by Larkin McGhee, and discontinued 27 June 1867 by Benjamin Ross. The old first county seat, dates back to l849. Because of rowdiness and various episodes which occurred, the county seat was moved to Pineville. Goodspeed, p 802.
--PLACE NAMES Mrs. Pauline Carnell.
SARATOGA
A thriving town that has passed by the way. The post­office was established 9 Nov. 1880, by James M. Wisdom. Discontinued 3 May 1905, by Jasper Nelson.
--Mrs. Pauline Carnell.

Saratoga was five and three quarter miles southwest of Noel.
--THE STATE OF MISSOURI, in 1904, - 435.

It was located at Section 19, Township 21 N, Range 34 N, on Highay 90.

SARATOGA SPRINGS
The town was surveyed October 12, 1880 and named, because of the alleged medicinal value of the water, for Saratoga Springs, NewYork.
--PLACE NAMES (See, also, STATE OF MISSOURI, A HISTORY OF MCDONALD COUNTY, Goodspeed Bros., 1889, p 802).
SIMCOE (also spelled SIMCO)
A post-office established 3 Aug. 1893, by Pleasant T. Fry. It was discontinued 15 May 1909 by Cloe Ownsby. A store is all that remains.
--Mrs. Pauline Carnell.

There was a co-operative store in the early 1890's, and it is said that the name was some how derived from the co-operative affair. However, there is a Simoce in Ontario, Canada, and it may have been influenced by this.
--PLACE NAMES.

Simcoe was six miles southwest of Rocky Comfort.
--THE STATE OF MISSOURI, in 1904, p 435.

It was located at Sections 9 & 16, Township 23 N, Range 30 W.

Page 18

SILVER SPRINGS

The town of Silver Springs was surveyed by T. F. Ford, August 20, 1881 for William and Arzela C. Harness, who acknowledged the plat September 24, 1881. The location was on Section 6, Township 22 N, Range 29 W.
--STATE OF MISSOURI, HISTORY OF MCDONALD COUNTY, p 804.

"I have nothing on this except your notation."
--Mrs. Pauline Carnell.

SIMSBERRY
The post-office was established 7 May 1907, by Stella Sims, and discontinued 31 May 1914, by Espy L. Northcutt and name changed to KOONS. The Simsberry store is located at Highways 90 & E.
--Mrs. Pauline Carnell.
SOUTHWEST CITY  (earlier HONEY CREEK P.O.)
The post-office, earlier HONEY CREEK, naae changed by Hugh Blair, 11 April 1871. The post-office continues to this day. One of the better towns of McDonald County,
--Mrs. Pauline Carnell.

J. P. Lamance and Burton McGhee are said to have settled at Southwest City in 1842. The townsite was surveyed in 1870, and so named because of its location in the extreme southwest corner of the county and state.
--PLACE NAMES.

It is fifteen miles southwest of Pineville in the extreme southwest corner of the state as well as the county. It is situated on the north bank of Honey Creek, near the southern border of Cow Skin Prairie. It was laid out in 1870 and had 4 stores, a hotel, a livery stable, and a good flouring mill, (1874).
--GAZETTEER OF MISSOURI, p 331.

About one mile south of town is a marker showing where the states of Missouri, Arkansas and Oklahoma meet. It is quite possible for one to stand with the left heel in Arkansas, the left toes in Oklahoma, and the right foot in Missouri. The Mason-Dixon Line passes here.
--PERSONAL EXPERIENCE.

The cemetery at Southwest City was first used as an Indian Burial Ground and old Indian graves have been found there. This area has been left vacant, with no markers. A number of Civil war veterans are buried there.  Also buried there is Mrs. Millie S.S. Sprouse, granddaughter of George Washington's sister. (1840-1914).
--THE AMERICAN LEGION MAGAZINE, April, 1972, p 30. Copyright 1972, THE AMERICAN LEGION MAGAZINE. Reprinted by permission."

Page 19

SPLITLOG

Platted for Matthis Splitlog, an Indian who planned and started the building of the present day Kansas City Southern Railroad, and Moses W. Clay, February 3, 1887. Splitlog was named for the former; according to Sturges, Splitlog was an Indian who prospected there for silver about 1887.
--PLACE NAMES; Mrs. Pauline Carnell.

It is located on the Southeast quarter, Section 23, Township 23, Range 33 W.
--STATE OF MISSOURI, HISTORY OF MCDONALD COUNTY, p 799.

It is four miles southwest of Goodman.
--THE STATE OF MISSOURI, in 1904, p 435.

The post-office was discontinued as of December 1905. Thereafter mail was supplied from Tiff City.
--GENERAL SCHEME, p 64.

SPRING VALLEY
This is a small town, of 43 inhabitants, on Highway 90 north of Noel.
--PERSONAL OBSERVATION

A part of Noel, and North Noel.
--Mrs. Pauline Carnell.

TIFF CITY
The post-office was established 7 Jan. 1877 by Scott L. Hopkins. Office continues.
--Mrs. Pauline Carnell.

It is six miles south of Hart.
--THE STATE OF MISSOURI, in 1904, p 435.

A village in McDonald Co., on the line of Oklahoma, eighteen miles-northwest of Pineville, and sixteen miles mouth of Seneca, its shipping point. It was platted in.1881 by S. L. Hopkins who built the first house and opened the first store.
--ENCYCLOPEDIA OF THE HISTORY OF MISSOURI, Conrad, Vol. 6, p 191.

It is on the line of Indian Territory, (sic), eighteen miles northwest of Pineville and twelve miles south of Seneca
(Newton Co.), on Buffalo Creek, a branch of the Elk River. The town of Tiff City was surveyed and the plat acknowledged August 6, 1881. It was named for the mineral known as "Tiff ".
--STATE OF MISSOURI, HISTORY OF MCDONALD COUNTY, p 797; and PLACE NAMES.

Tiff--Barite-- A white, yellow, or colorless mineral consisting of Native Barium Sulphite BaSO 4, occurring in orthorhombic and  generally tabular crystals, in granular form, or in compact massive forms resembling marble (Sp. gr 4.3. 4-6)--called also heavy spar.
--WEBSTER'S THIRD NEW INTERNAT!ONAL DICTIONARY.

Page 20

TRIBULATION  (LOONIESVILLE) See page 11.

A post-office established 13 Feb. 1871 by Henry H. Fox, discontinued 15 Aug. 1902, by the last postmaster, Wm. H. Snowden. It was sixteen miles east of Pineville on Big Sugar Greek.
--Mrs. Pauline Carnell; GAZETTEER OF MISSOURI, p 331.

Tribulation is the name of a small settlement, fifteen miles northeast of Pineville. H. H. Fox was merchant and post-master, 1888.
--STATE OF MISSOURI, HISTORY OF MCDONALD COUNTY, p 803; also PLACE NAMES.

TWIN SPRINGS
A post-office established 6 Feb. 1882, by Charles Weed; discontinued 5 Oct. 1891 by Washington Bird.
--Mrs. Pauline Carnell.

The post-office was named for the springs which were possibly so called because there were two similar springs there.
--PLACE NAMES. (Location is unknown.)

VESTAL'S MILL
A saw mill owned and operated by W. R. Vestal before the Civil War.
--PLACE NAMES.

"The above information is all we have so far. The location was probably down river from Noel."
--Mrs. Pauline Carnell.

WADE (earlier DONOHUE, now GOODMAN)
A post-office established 29 Nov. 1889, and discontinued 28 Oct. 1893. Named in honor of W. H. Wade, a congressman from the district. (See ERIE, page 6)
--Mrs. Pauline Carnell; PLACE NAMES.
WHITE ROCK SULPHUR SPRINGS (earlier GOTHAM; later WHITE ROCK) now Jane.
A town platted in January, 1882 and doubtless named for the white-lime stone found there.
--PLACE NAMES; STATE OF MISSOURI, HISTORY OF MCDONALD CO., p 803.
WHITE ROCK PRAIRIE
It was ten miles southeast of Pineville, and contained 1 store and 1 grist and saw-mill which had been purchased by some wealthy Quakers.
--GAZETTEER OF MISSOURI, p 331.
Page 21

WHITE ROCK TOWNSHIP

In White Rock Township, is the town, of Jane, which was first called White Rock Prairie, then Jane, and later surveyed under the name of Sulphur Springs, Mo., but never called Sulphur Springs.

At an early time, a traveling show came through the country. It stopped at Pineville, Jane and Caverna. At Pineville they had a capacity crowd; at Jane, a good turn out, but at Caverna, very few came.

An old wag said: Pineville, Hadem; Jane, Gotham; and Caverna, Needham." So that is the old joke.
--Mrs. Pauline Carnell.

WYLIE
Wylie, like Payne, was housed in a farm house and in the same neighborhood, north of Pineville. Wylie post-office was established 7 Feb. 1894 by Zechariah Baker, and discontinued 15 May 1909 by Cassius M. C. Little.
--Mrs. Pauline Carnell.

McDonald County Table of Contents
Local History Home