Compiled by Arthur Paul Moser
Allen was located at Sec. 1, Twp. 67 H.R. 34 W. (--Map of Nodaway Co., 1910, bound in Hist. of Nodaway Co.)
Alonzo City was located in the northwest corner of Sec. 6, Twp. 67 N. R. 35 W. (--New Atlas of Mo., 1874, Campbell, Map 16.)
Arkoe is about one mile to the north of Old Bridgewater, which was abandoned on account of the new railroad station. Dr. F. H. Talbott and S. K. Snively laid off the town of Arkoe September 15, 1874, and Judge Brady surveyed the plat. The Doctor found the name "Arkoe" in the book entitled "Twenty Thousands Fathoms Under the Sea." Nelson Wilson moved a building from Old Bridgewater to Arkoe and in it opened a general store, this being the first building of the place. The second building in the town was a dwelling erected in 1876 by C. H. Dewey. In 1877 Dr. W. M. Simms erected an office building. In 1875 a lot was donated to James Baldridge by Mr. Snively, upon which he built a blacksmith shop. The first postmaster at the new town was Nelson Wilson. (--Past and Present of Nodaway Co., 1910, E. F. Bowen, Pub. Co. Vol. 1, p., 326; Ency of the Hist. of Mo, 1901, Conard, Vol. 1, 58.
Arkoe is situated at Sec. 15, 22, Twp. 63 N. R. 35 W., on Highway V east of 71. (--Gen. Highway Map of Nodaway Co., 11-1-66, issued by The Mo. State Highway Dept. Unless otherwise noted all map locations are from this map.)
Barnard elevation 940 feet
Barnard, on the Chicago Branch of the K. C. ST. J. & C. B. R. R., and on the west bank of One-Hundred-And-Two River, fourteen miles east of Maryville... was laid out in December, 1870, on one of the earliest farms cleared of timber ... It has 1 grist and sawmill, 7 stores and a graded school. Population about 300, 1874. (--Campbell's Gazetteer of Mo., 1874, p. 405.)
Barnard, the only town or village in Grant Township (1910) is located on Sec. 14 & 15, Twp. 62 N. R. 35 W, and was platted April 11, 1870... It received its name in honor of J. F. Barnard, Supt. of the Kansas City, St. Joseph & Council Bluffs Railroad Company... The railroad depot was built in April, 1870. The platting was executed in May, 1870... Dr. James McKenzie bought the first lot at a private sale and put up the first store in the place and sold the first merchandise...
In 1873 a blacksmith shop was added to the town by John T. Gamble... In 1869 a grist mill was built by James C. McCandless. (--Bowen, Vol. 1, pp. 255, 256; Conard, Vol. 1, p. 149.)
Barnard is situated at Secs. 14, 15, Twp. 62 N. R. 35 W at the junction of K, WW and Spur 71, north of Andrew County line.
Bedison was a hamlet on the Wabash, St. Louis & Pacific R. R., seven miles southeast of Maryville. It contained two stores, a blacksmith shop, a Christian Church and a school... (--Conard, Vol. 1, p. 192.)
It was situated at Sec. 1 R. 35 W and Sec. 6, R. 34 W, Twp. 64 N, at the junction of F & N.
Bridgewater was located on land originally owned by C. H. Howard, who cultivated it as a farm. At a very early day there was a mill built on the One-Hundred-And-Two River by J. B. Cox, and the site was later chosen for Bridgewater. In 1870 Page, Warren & Phelps, contractors of the Branch Railroad bought the Howard tract of land and upon it laid off the town. The river at this point makes an elbow towards the west. At this bend in the river were constructed two railroad bridges within one thousand feet of each other, with a county bridge located between them, and from this fact comes the name Bridgewater. Here William Elrod & Son built the first house in the town and in it they opened a general store. A post-office was established and John W. Walker was appointed postmaster. Nelson Wilson also added a general stock in 1871.
But the life of Bridgewater was doomed to fate, because Dr. P. H. Talbott (later murdered) had granted the right-of-way to the railroad through his farm, on conditions such as necessitated another town nearby, and that place was called Arkoe. (--Bowen, Vol. 1, 326; Conard, Vol. 1, 372; Campbell, 405.)
It is located in the northwest section of the county, at Sec. 15, 16, Twp. 65 N. R. 37 W on 136 west of 71.
The Chicago, Burlington & Quincy line had made a survey a half mile to the east of the Nodaway River, at the crossing of the Wabash R. R., and the Burlington line. This town was first called Lewiston, for President Lewis of the Wabash System. Later it as called Cleveland by the people of the Ohio Colony, because it was found that another Cleveland already had an existence in Missouri.
Burlington Junction (cont)
Cleveland grew until it had about forty buildings. But when the C. B. & Q. R. R. Co. made their final survey, they crossed a half mile to the east of this point, on the farm of Colonel Davis, and here grew up the present town of Burlington Junction... The first business firm at this point was George H. Hotailing & Company, lumber dealers... Wheeler Brothers built the first store building and sold the first goods in the town, commencing July 5, 1879, and on the 24th of the month sold their first goods. Two drug stores were built about the same date by S. J. Butcher & Company and J. N. Renn & Co...
December 16, 1879, the town was incorporated... (--Bowen, Vol. 1, pp. 305, 306; Conard, Vol. 1, p. 431.)
At an early date there was established a post-office named Carterville, and also a small store, a little to the north of Guilford. (--Bowen, Vol. 1, p. 321.)
There is a Carterville in Jasper County. (--Rand, McNally Standard Reference Guide of Mo., 1974.)
Chester was situated at Sec. 11, Twp. 64 N. R. 34 W. (Map of Nodaway Co., 1910.)
City Bluff (Halsa's Ferry)
It was a post-office sixteen miles northwest of Maryville. (--Campbell, p. 405; it is no longer listed.)
Claremont was a post-office fourteen miles northwest of Marysville. (--Campbell, p. 405; it is no longer listed.)
Clearmont is in Atchison Township, five miles to the northeast of Burlington Junction, on the C. B. & Q. R. R....
The original Postal name was Clairmont, but it has long since been styled "Clearmont," supposedly from a town of the same name.
Marion Conley and Mr. Call owned the land on which the town was platted. Range line 37 passes through it. The town site was platted in 1857, by Alonzo Thompson... Conley erected the first house in the town after it was platted. It was constructed of hewed cottonwood logs. The pioneer blacksmith was John Guffy... In 1857 a wool carding factory was put in operation...
The pioneer store was built in 1865; it was a general merchandise store owned by Cross & Groves... Craig and Smith established a lumberyard during the first year's history... (--Bowen, Vol. 1, pp. 251, 252.; Conard, Vol. 2, p. 25.)
It is situated at Sec. 19, R. 36 W and Sec. 24, R. 37 W, Twp. 66 N, at the junction of 71, C & D, south of the Iowa border.
See Burlington Junction.
Clyde (once known as New Conception) was the direct outgrowth of the Wabash Railroad through Nodaway County. It is two miles northeast of Conception and eleven miles southeast of Maryville... When the post-office was established it was named at a public meeting in July, 1880. Frank Bellows had recently been up in Canada and upon his return brought some imported Clydesdale horses and at the suggestion of one at the meeting, it was voted on and decided to call the office Clyde after the famous horses. The name was forwarded to Washington and the Postal Department so named it. Yet the name of the town still for many years was known as New Conception, but when the Great Western Railroad was built in 1887 and a crossing made with the Wabash a new town sprang up and was named Conception Junction, since which time the name Clyde has obtained for the place now under description.
The land on which Clyde stands was bought in 1869 by Matthew Jerman... E. W. Cone erected a building and opened a saloon. The first man to engage in trade was Gasper Kaiser, who built and opened a hardware. The first general merchandise store was opened in a building moved from Old Conception by J. A. Wanderly... (--Bowen, Vol. 1, p. 290.)
It is situated in the southeast section of the county, east of Conception Junction, at Sec. 18, R. 33 W and Sec. 13, R. 34 W Twp. 63 N, on Highway P east of 136.
Conception (named for the Immaculate Virgin) is the oldest place in Jefferson Township. It is situated eleven miles to the southeast of Maryville, and about two miles southeast of the railroad station known as New Conception. Father James Powers of the Reading Colony...
came in 1856 from Reading, Pennsylvania, and entered the land on which it stands and there founded a Catholic Church. Father Powers and William Brady laid out the town of Conception in 1860. June 9, 1860, the colony house and chapel were finished and dedicated. There were forty acres of land laid out and platted as a town site described as the southeast quarter of Section 14, Township 63 N. Range 34 W. The first lot was sold to Mr. Saul for one dollar, and on the same he put up a general store building. Soon Joseph Heffner erected a blacksmith shop and a dwelling. Frank Enos followed soon with a second blacksmith shop and Father Tuerk erected a dwelling house. (Bowen, Vol. 1, p. 289.)
Conception, twelve miles southeast of Maryville, is a business place of some importance, being the center of what is known as the Irish Colony... (--Campbell, p. 405.)
In 1860 a monastery was built, which is now (1901) called the Benedictine Abbey, New Engleberg... (--Conard, Vol. 2, p. 81.)
It is located at the junction of 136 & H. (--Map of Mo., 1974, Rand, McNally.)
This town was the outgrowth of the crossing of the Wabash and Chicago, Great Western Railroads, the Law of the land requiring that proper junction accommodations must be maintained at such junction points. It was platted by C. N. Comstock in August, 1895, on Section 14, Township 63 N, Range 34 W and as the name New Conception had been applied to what is now Clyde -- one mile to the east -- this place was called Conception Junction...
In 1910, the mayor, the Union Station agent, was George Dackes. Other businesses were L. F. Vancoy, postmaster; Wilson Mackey, hardware; L. F. Vancoy, grocer, also, George Thompson, grocer and meat market... (--Bowen Vol. 1, pp. 291, 292.)
It is situated at Sec. 14, Twp. 63 N, R. 34 W on 136 north of Conception.
Dawson -- Dawsonville
Dawsonville is located about two and a half miles northwest of Burlington Junction, on Section 5, Township 65 N. Range 37 W. The land on which it is built was originally owned by D. N. McCrea and W. M. Walker. It was named in honor of Hon. Lafe Dawson, of Maryville. For some time the citizens called the place Dawson, but the railroad company called it Dawsonville, and the post-office was established as Dawson, hence the place is now commonly known as Dawson...
In 1880 the place had a population of about 150... The date of the platting was December 20, 1879... The first business house was erected by Mr. Burnett for a general store; he received his forst invoice of goods before the deport was built and landed the merchandise on the ground from the freight cars. He also had charge of the post-office the first year it was established. The second building was a blacksmith shop run by Isaac Waddell, and the next was a building moved from Lamar Station. (--Bowen, Vol. 1, p. 296; Conard, Vol. 2, p. 242.
It is situated on an unmarked county road east of KK and north of 136.
Elmo (first called Ebbony, next St. Elmo and finally Elmo, situated on the line of the Wabash Railroad almost twenty miles northwest from Maryville, stands on land originally owned by Isaac /Hesser and the State Bank of Missouri. The land was purchased by the railroad and the Western Improvement Company, who laid out the town in December, 1879. The first building was the depot. W. C. Eckar built a hotel at once and conducted it two years. J. R. Wilson then added a stock of general merchandise and James Brown started the first blacksmith shop. The Masonic Hall building was removed from Lamar to Elmo in the early history of the place...(Bowen, Vol. 1, p. 297; Conard, Vol. 2, p. 373.)
It is situated at Sec. 20, Twp. 64 N. R. 37 W at the junction of KK & C west of Clearmont.
Eudora was a post-office fifteen miles northwest of Maryville. (--Campbell, p. 405.)
No longer listed in Nodaway Co.; Eudora is listed in Polk Co. (--Rand, McNally, 1974.)
About 1875 this hamlet was established by the coming of John Bilby, of Illinois... This hamlet was four miles to the southwest of the Quitman of today. Bilby & Bird put up the first building for a dwelling. John Bilby then built a store building and placed in it a good stock of general merchandise. A blacksmith shop was added to the village and three or four dwellings were built west of the store. A post-office was established and called "Fairview" and John Bilby was appointed postmaster. The site of this place was in what is, or used to be known as the Whig Valley district, embracing the valley on the west side of the Nodaway River. The name originated from the settlement of old-line Whigs three and a half miles west of Graham. This hamlet has long since been defunct. (--Bowen, Vol. 1, p. 260.)
Frankfort Narrows Post Office
This post-office town was south of Bernard, in Sec. 23, Twp. 62 N, Range 35 W, on the K. C. ST. J. & C. B. R. R. (--New Atlas of Mo., Map 16.)
"Gaynor City" was established as a post-office and hamlet in Independence Township, of a few residences and business houses in the 1870's. Edward Gaynor built a blacksmith shop there in 1876, near the section corners of 25 and 36... two and a half miles west of Honey Creek... After the blacksmith shop was erected Wilson McLain put up a store building, and opened a general stock of merchandise and later built another store on the opposite side of the street.
In 1882 the hamlet contained about twenty-five inhabitants, and the following business interests: Stephen Cowin, blacksmith, Dr. B. F. Goodson, druggist and physician, and Wilson McLean, general merchandise. (--Bowen, Vol. 1, p. 280.)
The post-office was discontinued in 1905. (--General Scheme of Mo., 1905, Still P. Taft, for the use of Railway Mail Clerks, p. 75. Also Conard, Vol. 3, p. 15.)
It is situated at Secs. 25, 26, 35 & 36, Twp. 66 N. R. 34 W on 246 north of NN.
Mail via Parnell; no population shown. (--Rand, McNally, 1974.)
Graham is situated eighteen miles from Maryville, two miles east of the Nodaway River, and upon the Elkhorn Creek. It was laid out in 1856 by Andrew Brown, and originally consisted of four blocks, but in 1858, Brown laid out an addition...
In 1858 there were but two stores, dealers in general merchandise, one kept by Burns & White and the other by McFaddin & Daugherty. At that day, as well as for years before, there was a grist and saw mill operated by Wilson & Brown...
Graham was known as Jacksonville from the first until changed to Graham by law in 1859. A few years before the platting of the town, a post-office was secured for the community. This office was kept a half mile north of present Graham. It was called Graham, in honor of Col. Amos Graham, through whom it was established...
The first postmaster was Andy Russell, when the office was located about two miles from town... and the office was called Brownsville...
After the removal to Graham proper, the first postmaster was Richard Bohart, in Bohart & Dunley's store. This was about 1866. (--Bowen, Vol. 1, 273, 274.)
It is situated in the southwest corner of the county at Sec. 11, Twp. 62 N, R. 37 W at the junction of A & ZZ.
In 1874 Graham and two churches -- M. E. and M. E. South, a graded school and ten stores. Population about 400. (--Campbell, p. 405.)
Guilford elevation 950 feet
Guilford, fifteen miles southeast of Maryville, had two churches -- M. E. and M. E. South, two stores, a harness shop and about 200 inhabitants. (--Campbell, p. 405.)
It is believed the town was named for Guilford Court House in North Carolina, from whence emigrated some of the settlers. It was at this point that a battle of the Revolutionary War was fought.
William Irwin entered the land on which the place is situated in 1852... The town was platted in 1856... O. H. Craig erected the first building and put in a stock of general merchandise. The next building was a drug store owned by B. L. Cook; Wm. Irwin also added a general store... in 1880 it was reported by the census books that Guilford had one hundred population, which was less than it contained at one time. With the building of the railroad and the platting of New Guilford, this town was checked for further growth. (--Bowen, Vol. 1, pp. 321, 322.)
It had a Methodist Episcopal Church, a Methodist Episcopal Church -- South, a Masonic Lodge and a lodge of Good Templars... (--Conard, Vol. 1, p. 136.)
It is situated at Sec. 21, Twp. 62 N, R. 34 W at the junction of M & AH.
see City Bluff
Hopkins elevation 1045 feet
Hopkins, at the junction of the Maryville Branch of the K. C. ST. J. & C. B. R. R., with the Creston Branch of the B. & M. R. R. sixteen miles north of Maryville, on the east bank of One-Hundred-And-Two River, and one mile south of the Iowa line, was laid out in 1871, and was next to the county seat in importance. It had a population of about 300, with the usual number of business houses, two churches and 1 graded school. (--Campbell, p. 406.)
It was named after A. L. Hopkins, then superintendent of the K. C. ST. J. & C. B. R. R. It dates its platting from 1870 and its survey was completed in the year 1871. It was incorporated October 21, 1872...
The first building erected was a boarding house built by Thomas Gladman. The pioneer firm was Donlin Brothers, who began business in 1871. Porter, Girard & Hughes erected a drug store in 1871. The first dry goods were handled by Mr. Robinson, who erected a suitable building... (--Bowen, Vol. 1, p. 265.)
Conard says the town was laid out in 1870. (--Conard, Vol. 3, p. 287.)
It is situated at Secs. 1, 2 & 12, Twp. 66 N, R. 35 W in the northeast section of the county, at the junction of 27, JJ & 246.
It was southeast of Bridgewater. (--Campbell, p. 406.)
Hughes was a post-office eight miles southwest of Maryville. (--Campbell, p. 406.)
Jacksonville = Graham
A village situated in the southwestern part of Nodaway County, in Hughes Township near Elkhorn Creek. It was laid out in 1856 by Andrew Brown and called Jacksonville, the name being changed after ward in honor of Colonel Amos Graham. The first settlement in the county was made by Isaac Hogan, whose log cabin stood near Graham. This was in 1839. Now (1901) Graham has a population of 400... There are three springs of water within the town limits. Within a mile are four quarries that supply choice building stone... (--Conard, Vol. 3, p. 83.)
Lamar's Station was a post-office seventeen miles northwest of Maryville. (--Campbell, p. 406.)
This place was platted in January, 1871 by John Lamar, on Section 27, Township 66 N, Range 37 W, but with the change of route and the building of Burlington Junction and Elmo it lapsed into decay, some of the buildings being moved to other towns nearby. (--Bowen, Vol. 1, p. 298.)
See Burlington Junction
Luteston was a post-office twenty miles northeast of Maryville. (--Campbell, p. 406.)
Littsville Post Office
The county seat and principal town on the Chicago Branch of the K. C., ST. J. & C. B. R. R., forty-five miles north of St. Joseph and near the center of the county... is two and one-half miles and 170 feet above the level of the One-Hundred-And-Two River. It was laid off in 1845 and named in honor of Mrs. Mary Graham, wife of Col. Amos Graham, the first resident lady... The county court entered the old town quarter from the Government, and the patent is in the name of Nodaway County. The first sale of lots was in September, 1845. The first lot sold for $45.00. The place contained six churches -- Presbyterian, Baptist, M. E. Church, South, Christian and Catholic... 1 graded school, 1 furniture and 1 wagon and carriage factory, 1 steam flouring-mill, 2 lumber yards, 3 hotels and 2 newspapers... (-- Campbell, p. 406; Conard, Vol. 3, pp. 211, 212.)
The southwest quarter of Sec. 22, Twp. 64 N, R. 35 W upon which the first plat of Maryville is situated, was granted to the State of Missouri by the United States in 1841 by an act of Congress. It was selected by the State for internal improvements, November 11, 1844, and was patented by the State to Nodaway County, January 15, 1848...
The first lot sold was lot No. 4, Block 9, by Thomas Baker, commissioner of the county, to Amos Graham, June 15, 1846, for the consideration of five dollars and twenty-five cents... The original settler in what is now Maryville, was Thomas Adams, who came from one of the southern counties of Missouri in 1840...
Amos Graham came from Washington County, Kentucky, in 1845. It was for his wife, Mary, that the town was named. It is generally conceded that the first man to sell general goods at Maryville was James Vaughn in 1845.
The post-office was established in 1845; was kept at first in the old court house and it was the first post-office established in Nodaway County. (--Bowen, 328, 329, 330, 331.)
It is situated at Secs. 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, & 21, Twp. 64 N, R. 35 W at the junction of 46, 71, V & CC.
Narrows Post Office
New Guilford Washington Township
New Guilford was the result of the building of the Chicago, Great Western Rail Road line through the township. The platting was made September 23, 1887, by Quinton Wilson on Sec. 21, Twp. 62 N, R. 34 W.
In 1910 William Watson was mayor; Miss Ida Collins was appointed postmaster March 16, 1909, upon the death of her father who was postmaster. S. F. Nelson was the preceding postmaster. (--Bowen, Vol. 1, pp. 321, 322. See Guilford.)
Orrsburg is situated at Sec. 15, Twp. 65 N, R. 34 W on Highway E south from NN.
Mail via Parnell; no population shown. (Rand, McNally, 1974.)
Parnell elevation 1025 feet
Parnell is located in the extreme southwestern corner of Independence Township. It was platted July 5, 1887... Its exact location is the northwest quarter of Sec. 16, Twp. 65 N, R. 33 W... It was incorporated in 1888...
In 1910 T. A. Brashear was postmaster and L. C. Goodson was mayor... E. J. Klas was grocer. (--Bowen, Vol. 1, pp. 279, 280.; Conard, Vol. 3, p. 61.)
It is situated at the junction of NN, 46 & W.
Pickering elevation 1020 feet
Pickering, on the Chicago Branch of the K. C., ST. J. & C. B. R. R., seven miles north of Maryville, was laid off in 1871, and had 1 agricultural implement plant, 1 egg-packing plant, 1 cheese factory (which sent the cheese weighing over 1,027 pounds, that took the premium over 23 competitors at the St. Louis Fair of 1872) 3 stores, 1 harness shop, a school-house, etc. Population about 200. (1874) (--Campbell p. 406.)
It takes the name from Pickering Clark, a railroad officer. (--Conard, Vol. 5, p. 131.)
It is situated in the north central section of the county at Sec. 5, Twp. 65 N, R. 35 W on 27 south of B.
Possum Walk was situated at Sec. 27, Twp. 65 N, R. 37 W on an unmarked county road south from C west from Clearmont.
Before the platting of Barnard (q. v.) there was a small hamlet -- a store and post-office -- known as Prairie Park, situated one mile south of Barnard. The business went elsewhere and the post-office was removed to the new town of Barnard. (--Bowen, Vol. 1, p. 257.)
Quitman elevation 905 feet
Quitman was incorporated February 8, 1881. It is situated on Sec. 9, Twp. 21 N, R. 37 W. and was platted by R. Russell. It is eleven miles west of Maryville and two miles north...
Originally the land was the property of Hiram Lee, who entered the land, but subsequently sold to R. R. Russell, the founder of the town, who platted it in 1856. At first it was called Russellville, but later was changed to Quitman in honor of John A. Quitman, once governor of Mississippi...
Mr. Russell built the first brick building and used it for a store... In 1859 a saw-mill was erected by Reese & Sellers and a blacksmith shop was put in operation by C. R. Hardesty... The first postmaster was Mr. Russell, the founder of the town... (--Bowen, Vol. 1, pp. 260, 261; Conard, Vol. 5, p. 270.)
It is located on Highway 113 south of 136.
Also, see Campbell, p. 406.
Ravenwood was the direct result of the construction of the Great Western Railroad... It was built in 1887. Ravenwood is situated on Sec. 13, Twp. 64 N, R. 34 W. The date of its platting was August 20, 1887.
In 1910 James Sawyer was post-master, A. H. Stineburner, mayor. A. M. Moore was black smith, and the general dealers were A. B. Bently, F. H. Burnes, Sawyer & Mow; Lewis Kaureman and Ross Hardware store. (--Bowen, Vol. 1, p. 284, 285.; Conard, Vol. 5, p. 303.)
It is situated at the junction of 136 & O.
Reindeer was southwest of Bridgewater at Sec. 24, Twp. 63 N, R. 36 W. (--New Atlas of Mo., 1874, Campbell, Map 16.)
Roseberry was a station at the junction of the Wabash, St. Louis & Pacific and the Clarinda Branch Railroads, located about a mile east of Burlington Junction. (--Conard, Vol. 5, p. 400.)
This was a hamlet one mile to the east of Burlington Junction, at the junction of the Wabash Railroad with the old Clarinda branch of the same road, which is not now (1910) in operation. The place was platted October 27, 1879, by the Western Improvement Co., on Sec. 14, Twp. 65 N, R. 37 W. When the junction of Burlington and Wabash lines was effected at Burlington Junction and the Clarinda branch done away with, Roseberry naturally became defunct. (--Bowen, Vol. 1, p. 307.)
Schley was near Conception Junction. The post-office was discontinued prior to 1905. (--General Scheme, p. 76.)
Scottsville Littsville Post Office
It was in the southwest corner of the county, at Sec. 31, Twp. 62 N, R. 35 W. (--New Atlas of Mo., Map 16.)
Skidmore elevation 920 feet
The village of Skidmore in Monroe Township is situated eleven miles south of Burlington Junction at the exact center of its territory and a half mile east of the Nodaway River. The land on which it is situated was originally the property of Mr. Skidmore, who gave the Nodaway Valley Railroad twenty acres of land to locate a station near the same. The railroad was completed in 1880... Mr. Skidmore laid off a townsite early in June or July, 1880.
The first building was a grocery store erected by H. H. Joy who moved a stock of goods from Union Valley, commencing business at Skidmore September 1, 1880... Among the early business and professional factors of Skidmore were the depot agent, John Cox, Julius Srumm, millinery, T. L. Howden, Justice of the Peace, H. M. Hutt, physician and druggist, Charles Impey, physician and druggist, T. L. Martin, hardware, James Wood, Blacksmith. (--Bowen, Vol. 1, p. 301; Conard Vol. 5, p. 506.)
It is situated at Sec. 9, Twp. 63 N, R. 37 W at the junction of 113 & V.
Sweet Home was a little hamlet situated twelve miles east of Maryville and two and a half miles east of the Platte River. The land was entered and bought by Abraham Bontz, who sold to Leonard Stingley in 1857. Samuel Mason bought an acre from Stingley and on the same erected a hotel in 1859. In 1860 Robert Shaffer put up a store building and opened a general stock of merchandise. The store was burned in 1867... In 1876 James Bentley erected a building in the hamlet and started a store.
The name Sweet Home dates from 1865 and was so called from the farm on which it was located, which was known as "Sweet Home Farm". The post-office at this point was established in 1864, Henry Reed being the first postmaster. A Mr. Clutter built a residence in 1865, and J. S. Burford in 1877 converted it into a hotel. In 1882 there was in the hamlet in addition to the businesses already named, E. W. Bishop, M. D.; David Flynn, Blacksmith; Leroy Harry, postmaster. With the movement of railroad building and the establishment of Ravenwood, the old pioneer hamlet of "Sweet Home" went into decay. (--Bowen, Vol. 1, p. 284; Campbell, p. 406.)
It was situated in Sec. 17, Twp. 64 N, R. 34 W. (--New Atlas of Mo., Map 16.)
Union Valley was a post-office twelve miles southwest of Maryville. (--Campbell, p. 406.)
White Cloud was southwest of Pickering at Sec. 18, Twp. 65 N, R. 35 W. (New Atlas of Mo., Map 16.)
White Oak Grove
It was in Union Township about two miles below where old Xenia afterwards stood. (--Bowen, Vol. 1, p. 315.)
Wilcox is a mere hamlet on the Wabash Railroad between Maryville and Burlington Junction. It had a depot, shipping facilities and a few business houses and post-office.
About one-half of the little hamlet is situated in Nodaway Township on Sec. 32, while the eastern portion of the same is in Polk Township. (--Bowen, Vol. 1, p. 307.)
It was named in honor of B. S. Wilcox, who owned the land on which the town was laid out. It contained a good school house, two churches, Christian and Methodist Episcopal South and had a population of 100. (1901). (--Conard, Vol. 6, p. 468.)
It is situated at Sec. 32, Twp. 65 N. R. 36 W on 71-36 east of Burlington Junction.
Xenia was located at Sec. 36, Twp. 66 N, R. 35 W on the K. C. ST. J. & C. B. R. R., in the southeast corner of the section. (--New Atlas of Mo., Map. 16.)