Compiled by Arthur Paul Moser
When Ely Carter established the village of Albany in 1854, he made application for a post-office. But Albany was already in use in Gentry County. Ada, the name of Ely Carter's wife was proposed and accepted, but the village retained the name of Albany. Mr. Carter was the first postmaster ...
Albany was incorporated in 1871. Daniel Turner served as first mayor ... Before the Civil War, whiskey was not taxed and locally made corn whiskey sold for ten cents a gallon. Grocery stores had a barrel of whiskey on tap. The Masonic Lodge was chartered as the Ada Lodge because Ada was the post-office. It built a large frame building which was later moved to Orrick, where the lodge still bears the chartered name ...
The Norfolk Western Railroad (Wabash), then known as the St. Louis, Kansas City and Northern Star, laid its tracks in 1868-69, missing Albany, which flourished during the construction period because it was the nearest trading point. Then Orrick grew up along the railroad and the Albany stores and churches gradually moved a mile to the south to the new town. (--Ray Co., p. 86.)
The population in 1874 was 150. (--Campbell's Gazetteer of Mo., 1874, p. 473.)
It is situated at Sec. 13, Twp. 51 N, R. 29 W at the junction of 210 & E, north of Orrick. (--Gen. Highway Map of Ray Co., issued by the Missouri State Highway Department 7-1-63. Unless otherwise noted all map locations are from this map.)
Mail via Orrick; population 50. (--Rand McNally Standard Ref. Guide to Mo., 1974.)
Camden elevation 730 feet
Camden began as a boisterous river city. It was incorporated May 13, 1836, and replaced the river settlement of Bluffton on its western edge. It fast became the location of one of Missouri's biggest tobacco warehouses, along with the first packing house of Armour & Plankton, because of its location as the only river port in Ray County ...
In 1887 ... businesses were restaurants, tobacco factory, hardware, lumberyard, general stores, tinner's shop and millinery shops, etc. (--Ray County, p. 76.)
It had eight stores, two hotels, two school-houses, one church, used by all denominations and one large flouring mill. (--Campbell's Gazetteer of Mo., 1874, p. 473.)
It is situated at Secs. 26 & 27, Twp. 51 N, R. 28 W on the Missouri River and Highway 210 west of H.
Crab Orchard was a post-office nine miles northwest of Richmond. (--Campbell, p. 473; Standard Ref. Guide of Mo., 1974, Rand McNally.) See Elkhorn.
The post-office was discontinued prior to 1905. (--General Scheme of Mo., 1905, Taft, for the use of Railway Mail clerks, p. 40.)
On January 20, 1888, a post-office was opened in the home of George J. Gamden. It was named Dockery for Alexander M. Dockery, Congressman and later Governor of Missouri ... This was "old" Dockery and was located about five miles north of Richmond ... A. M. Dockery was the first postmaster.
On October 13, 1899, Dr. Ira Hyder, of Polo, became Dockery's postmaster and the office was moved to his house, which was about one mile north of the older Dockery ... Again a house served as the office, a general store his home and a drug store to aid the doctor. Fred Webber built a blacksmith shop just south of this store. (--Ray County, pp. 88, 89.)
It is situated at Sec. 36, Twp. 53 N, R. 28 W on Highway 13, south of EE.
The post-office was discontinued prior to 1905. (--Gen. Scheme, p. 91.)
Mail via Richmond; no population is shown. (--Rand McNally, 1974.)
One of the first settlers in Egypt according to the notes of the late Elmer Pigg, a student of history at Northwest Missouri, was Joseph Ray, a French trapper ...
According to the late Mrs. Thurman (Julia) Dudgeon, Egypt acquired its name in 1895 following a flood after Mr. Ray had taken his belongings to the site of South Point by raft for safety. When the waters receded and Mr. Ray was asked what he was going to do he said that he was "going back to Egypt," thus comparing the fertility of the soil to that of the Delta of the Nile in ancient Egypt ... (--Ray County, p. 90.)
There is an Egypt Grove in Howell County. (--Rand McNally, 1974.)
Records show that Elkhorn had a post-office as early as 1840. It was changed to Crab Orchard in 1843 and since 1904, mail has been delivered through Orrick. From 1893 to 1895, Vattie existed as a post-office in the home of Sam and Lois Rowland and later in V. A. Benedict's home which was about two and one-half miles south of Elkhorn ... (--Ray County, p. 91.)
Mail via Orrick; population 40. (--Rand McNally, 1984.)
Elmira elevation 880 feet
Northwest Missouri was settled as early as 1825 ... Most of the early settlers came from Kentucky or Tennessee, though John Field may have been a Virginian. By 1835, there were enough settlers to require a log school house. The "Battle of Crooked River," a skirmish between the Mormons of adjoining Caldwell County and a Militia company of Ray County took place in 1838, in a valley one mile south of that school. Upstream, a short distance of where the skirmish had been held Mr. McClain began operating a water-powered grist mill near the Ed Knutter ford ...
In 1866, Isom Allen installed a steam-powered saw mill at a site about two miles north and equipped it with grist milling facilities. Later he built a general store as did Harrison Hunt. By 1870, enough businesses were established for Dr. J. H. James to begin practice.
He and Adrian Gordon built a partnership drug store the following year. The store burned in 1882, and that June Crooked River's flood destroyed all the business houses and greatly damaged many homes in the valley ...
After the flood, James and Frances Langford bought a store building (1885) and applied for a postal permit for this settlement. They discovered that Missouri already had an Allen's Mill as well as Allensville, and upon an earlier suggestion by Dr. James the proposed post-office was called Lisbonville, after the capital of Portugal. The mail came in by Richmond-Kingston carrier. Several new houses were built and the town gained a blacksmith shop and a cobbler.
Lisbonville had great hopes for expansion, when the Milwaukee Railroad built their line through. The surveyors and track layers did not approve of the site; instead a site was named Elmira for the birthplace of the wife of a railroad official who happened to be born in Elmira, N. Y. The Langsfords tore down their store and rebuilt on a hill north of the Elmira depot ... (--Ray County, p. 92.)
It is situated at Sec. 9 & 10, Twp. 59 N, R. 29 W on C south of Caldwell County line.
Mail via Lawson. (--Rand McNally, 1974.)
The village of Fleming began as a small acreage farming and mining community. The Central Coal and Coke Company bought the mine, and opened a company store with their office in the back part of this building. At one time, 1903-04, the post-office was in this building ...
There were two blacksmith shops; one for the company and the other for individuals, and a cobbler. The doctor's office had a barbershop in the rear of the building ...
Fleming was incorporated in 1963 and is now known as the City of Fleming. (--Ray County, p. 94.)
The post-office was discontinued prior to 1905. (--General Scheme of Mo., 1905, Taft, for the use of Railway Mail Clerks, p. 90.)
It is situated in the southwest corner of the county at Sec. 10, Twp. 51 N, R. 28 W, on 210 west of Camden.
Mail via Orrick. (--Rand McNally, 1974.)
The community of Floyd (Alfred) ... was surveyed, platted and incorporated a the request of the Chicago, Santa Fe and California Railway Company in 1888, a year after the land had been purchased from John Dorton. The first United States grant of the land was in 1830.
Floyd is now a quiet settlement of homes, grain dryers and storage bins ... Gradually as they were no longer needed the pumping station for steam engines, section housing for Santa Fe employees, the weighting scales, stock pens and the depot have been removed ...
Following the incorporation of Floyd (Alfred) a store building was erected which remained in operation until 1954. This building and a Primitive Baptist Church which was moved to the town from a location to the west and was active for many years, have been razed. (--Ray County, p. 95.)
Mail via Orrick. (--Rand McNally, 1974.)
Fox was a post-office sixteen miles northeast of Richmond. (--Campbell, p. 473.)
The post-office was discontinued pre 1905. (--General Scheme, p. 91.)
Fredericksburg began in 1835. The original plat is in the recorder's office at Richmond ... The town had a post-office, blacksmith shop, cobbler's shop, saloon, general store, livery stable, doctor and stage coach inn ... The last physical sign of the town disappeared in 1966 when the sole remaining house was destroyed by fire ... (--Ray County, p. 96.) See New Garden.
Fredericksburg is no longer listed in Ray County; there is a Fredericksburg in Gasconade County. (--Rand McNally, 1974.)
See Mineral City.
Georgeville is a village in the northeast quarter of Section 15, Township 54, Range 27, and was founded in the 1880's at a crossroad. It was first named Grange Hall, for the first structure built at the site a "Grange Hall." Prior to that time, a group of pioneers from Kentucky and Virginia settled in Section 14, about three miles north of the present site. This settlement was called Georgeville in honor of the George family on whose land it was built.
Since most activities in that area centered around the Grange Hall, the settlers decided that it would be wise to move their village to the site of the Grange Hall. When the move was completed the name of Georgeville was then given to the entire area instead of Grange Hall. As the area began to be settled the need for a post-office, general store and a doctor became evident ...
The first store, a grocery store and a produce house were owned by James Hatfield and operated by John Kincaid ...
At one time eight family residences were within a radius of one thousand feet of the cross roads where the village stood. In 1973 only three families resided there. (--Ray County, p. 97.)
Georgeville was a post-office 20 miles north, northeast of Richmond. (--Campbell, p. 473.)
The post-office was discontinued pre 1905. (--Taft, p. 90.)
It was located on an unmarked county road between P & B.
It is no longer listed; there is a Georgetown in Pettis County, (--Rand McNally, 1974.)
Hall's Point was five miles west, northwest of Orrick. It was a brisk, little village. (--Campbell, p. 474.)
Hall's is no longer listed in Ray County; there is a Hall's in Buchanan County. (--Rand McNally, 1974.)
Hardin elevation 695.
Hardin was named for Governor C. H. Hardin, and incorporated in 1870 with James Darby the first mayor ...
The John Vanderpool family came from Tennessee in 1815 and settled west of Grand River ...
While the history of the Hardin community dates from the settlement of Buffalo on the banks of Crooked River southwest of Hardin in August, 1815, the present town dates from about 1867 when the people of Old Hardin (near the present cemetery) began to build new homes near the new railroad ... (--Ray County, pp. 72, 73.)
It is situated at Sec. 32 & 33, Twp. 52 N, R. 26 W and Sec. 4 & 5, Twp. 51 N, same range, in the southeast corner of the county at the junction of A, DD, & O.
Henrietta elevation 702 feet
Henrietta is located along Highway 13 between Richmond and the Missouri River. It is in the northern part of Section 16, Township 51 Range 27 ...
Henrietta's history began in the 1830's with the arrival of James Allen and his brother, Dr. Thomas Allen, from Farmville, Virginia. They bought land certificates for 1,842 acres of land at $1.25 per acre in the area northeast of the present Henrietta. The settlement at the foot of the hill was known as Farmville. Charles Allen Watkins, nephew of James Allen, came in 1846. Here he met and married his cousin Henrietta Rives ...
In the spring of 1849 James R. Allen completed the 3-story brick steam-operated flour mill at Farmville. He built a railroad of oak from his mill to the Missouri River, a distance of five miles at $1500 a mile. There were two cars, one for freight and one for passengers. The power was furnished by mules, and one depot on the north bank of the river was known as South Farmville and North Lexington and was used also as a landing for Jack's Ferry since 1819. Farmville had a distillery, school, saw mill, store and blacksmith shop.
Charles Watkins had given land for the Missouri Valley Railroad right-of-way in 1856. This was consolidated into the Wabash Corporation ... A depot and a post-offices were established in 1867. The depot displayed the sign Lexington Junction and the post-office Henry, causing much confusion. The town of Henrietta was laid out on the Watkins estate and named in honor of Henrietta Watkins ... When Henry was adopted as the name of the Ray County office, though the town was popularly known as Lexington Junction or R & L Junction ...
In the 1900's Joseph Black, a city attorney of Henry, had learned that Henrietta post-office had been abandoned and in 1925 he induced the railroad and post-office to change the name to Henrietta in keeping with the desire of W. H. Watkins.
IN 1908 Marie Watkins Oliver a daughter of Henrietta Walker designed and made the State flag of Missouri. However, this flag burned in the capital fire of 1911, and it was necessary for her to make another which is kept in the office of Secretary of State. (--Ray County, pp. 66, 67, 68 & 69.
It is situated at Sec. 9 & 16, Twp. 51 N, R. 27 W at the junction of 13 & H.
Knoxville was laid out in 1837 by John Graves from Tennessee. It was established as Buncombe on January 24, 1838, and the name was changed to Knoxville, (for Knoxville, Tennessee) on October 26, 1838 ...
The first postmaster of Knoxville was Moses F. Rainwater who was appointed January 24, 1838 ...
Prominent persons of this village were the Rev. William Meakley who was a missionary to China for 34 years, and Dr. Sam Gant, a nationally known surgeon in both this country and Europe ... (--Ray County, p. 98.)
(A history of Ray County, 1962, by Louise Darneal states that Knoxville, first known as Buncombe, was a settlement in October, 1861. Knoxville was the scene of one of the first Civil War skirmishes fought in Ray County. (--Ray County, p. 99.)
The population in 1874 was about 175. (--Campbell, p. 474.)
The post-office was discontinued prior to 1905. (--General Scheme of Mo., p. 90.)
It is situated at Sec. 35, Twp. 54 N, R. 28 W on 13 south of D.
Mail via Raysville; population 55. (--Rand McNally, 1974.)
Lakeview so called because of the Heisinger Lake which once lay to the southeast, was for over seventy years an active, bustling mining village of homes, stores, school, a post-office and a Brick & Tile Factory. Among the first to open mines in Lakeview were John Houston, James Edgar, Joseph Loeven and Robert King ...
The first store in Lakeview was built by Jeremiah Bryan, who also erected the Brick and Tile Factory, a two-story structure which stood at the foot of Lakeview Hill ... Valentine Shenk was the operator of the store. The other store was owned by Theodore Loeven ... Both stores were stocked with general merchandise ...
William Edgar purchased the grocery store owned by Mr. Loeven, and served the community well for many years, closing in 1948. This was the last store in Lakeview, and as homes and other industries converted to gas and electricity the demand for coal declined, and the last mine shut down in 1952. Lakeview, as a village, had no reason to survive. (--Ray County, p. 101.)
The post-office was discontinued in 1905. (--Taft, p. 91.)
Lakeview was situated at Sec. 13, 14, Twp. 52 N, R. 26 W on DD near Carroll County line.
There is a Lakeview Heights in Benton County. (--Rand McNally, 1974.)
Lawson P. O. elevation 1080 feet
It was established in August, 1870. (--Ray County, p. 35.)
The town of Lawson stands on a part of the land acquired by W. L. Watkins of Northeast Clay County in 1853. The plat was filed with the county court on September 20, 1870 ... The first business was a drug store by George Young ...
The first application for a post-office was made under the name Doniphan for an attorney in the Ray-Clay area ...That name had already been used (for Doniphan, Ripley Co.) Then a second application was made under the name Lawson, for L. M. Lawson, president of the railroad company. When word came back that Lawson already was in use the word Station was added. In August, 1870, a permit was issued for Lawson Station and R. J. Clark was appointed postmaster. In 1872 it was possible to drop the word Station. Business was on the increase and several houses were moved there from Claysville and Slip Up. However, the first one built there was by R. J. Clark. Lawson was incorporated as a fourth class city November 7, 1871 ... (--Ray County, p. 56.)
It is situated at Sec. 5, 6, Twp. 53 N, and Sec. 31 & 32, Twp. 54 N, R. 29 W on D on the Clay County line.
It is in both Ray and Clay Counties. (--Rand McNally, 1974.)
Lisbonville was a post-office 22 miles northwest of Richmond. (--Campbell, p. 474.)
There is a Lisbon in Howard County. (--Rand McNally, 1974.)
Louella was located in Sec. 31, Twp. 54 N R. 26 W Grape Grove Township. (--Map of Mo., 1884, Rand McNally.)
It is no longer listed.
Henry (Henrietta, Richmond & Lexington Junction) at the junction of the St. L. K. C. & N. R. W., with the St. Joseph Branch, was a growing town (1874). It had five business houses, three hotels, one railroad eating house, five depot buildings, grain elevator, one school-house, one church and a population of about 200. (--Campbell, p. 474.)
Lower Town or East Camden
McLean's McLean's was located at Sec. 10, Twp. 54 N, R. 29 W. (--New Atlas of Mo., 1874, Campbell, Map 17.)
It is no longer listed.
The village had its beginning when a water grist-mill was erected in 1837 by Robert Mitchell. He and Buck McGaugh platted the land into streets, lots and alleys. Originally called Buck Snort, the name was changed to Millville when a large flour mill was built in 1865 by James Carter. Boardwalks lined either side of Main Street and most houses were enclosed by fences. More recently it is sometimes referred to as "The Wee Village" so named by Mrs. Felix (Etta Oliver) Wall.
Many and varied business houses flourished in the town. Some of them were: saw-mill, grist-mill, drug store, hotel, barber shop, post-office, livery stable harness shop, restaurant, general store, corset shop, hat shop, blacksmith shop and a saloon ...
This little village lost the race to progress when the last grocery store closed in 1971.
With the trend to rural life and industry Millville may again become active. Two recent business houses have been established on its outskirts ...
Millville is located on State Route K, about 11 miles northeast of Richmond on the east fork of Crooked River which runs on the west side of the village ... (--Ray County, pp. 102, 103.)
The post-office was discontinued prior to 1905. (--Taft, p. 91.)
It is situated at Sec. 15, Twp. 53 N, R. 27 W on K east of B.
Mail via Richmond; no population shown. (--Rand McNally, 1974.)
This writing will deal with my recollections of Mineral City, a Ray County ghost town which was earlier called Frog Eye and was located about four and one-half miles west of Knoxville, just around the bend of Crooked River and Fire Branch.
Stephen Mullin, an ordinary farmer owned a 185 acre farm ... Nearby was a coal mine owned and operated by Hugh Blair (known as Dough-Belly). Two or three old lagoons caused by the overflow of Crooked River made a perfect haven for bull frogs, hence the name Froge Eye ...
In the course of drilling a water well, soda saline water was struck, similar to that of Excelsior Springs only much stronger. The neighbors from all around came to drink of the water ...
As the news continued to spread, people came from as far away as St. Louis, by train to Rayville. Steven Mullin had Mineral printed on the side of the hack, and his son, Bill would make four or five trips a day from the train to the site of the mineral water carrying passengers. Some people camped for several days, while others spent the night in the Mullin home ...
With the crowds becoming so large Steven Mullin felt the need of legal advice. A slicker of a lawyer from St. Joseph ... persuaded Mr. Mullin to take him in as a partner on a fifty-fifty basis. The land was surveyed. Mineral City was platted into lots to be sold at $100 each in the summer of 1908. Boulevards, streets and alleys were laid out. The large hotel with a bath house never materialized. On July 4, 1912, a picnic was held at Mineral City with the attendance estimated between seven and ten thousand people ...
Some unsuccessful merchants and the crooked lawyer caused Steven Mullin to accumulate an awful debt. When he died his family had to move away and leave the debts. The well was capped several years ago, and the well house was torn down; the Steven Mullin house burned; the red barn is all that is left of Mineral City ... Condensed from Gertrude Manley McKown writings. (--Ray County, pp. 104, 105.)
Mineral Oil Spring
Mineral Oil Spring was located at Sec. 36, Twp. 54 N, R. 26 West. (--New Atlas of Mo., Map 17.)
It is no longer listed.
When Shaw's Shop, now Morton, was established is not known, but on September 18, 1864, a portion of Company F, 51st Division, stationed at Shaw's Shop was surprised by a large force of guerillas under command of Todd ...
J. P. Hibbell bought the farm-town property in Shaw's Shop. He did not like the name and changed the name to Morton, which was the maiden name of his wife. In 1868, he sold the 120 acre farm to Warner Gaer. George Keyes was the proprietor of the general store from 1870 to 1881 ... A one-room church was built in 1877. Mr. and Mrs. George Keyes sold a little over one acre of land for $200 to the Methodist, Baptist, Christian and Cumberland Presbyterian denominations. A church was to built there with the understanding that a cemetery, saloon, or grocery store would not be put on this land. It this were done, the land would revert back to the Keyes' heirs.
Morton was a thriving town at one time. Oliver Johnson was the last person in business at Morton. He came to Morton in November, 1918 and opened a blacksmith shop. He retired in December, 1966 ... (--Ray County, p. 101.)
The post-office was discontinued prior to 1905. (--Taft, p. 91.)
It is situated at Sec. 18, Twp. 52 N, R. 26 W south of P west of A.
Mail via Richmond; population not shown. (--Rand McNally, 1974.)
See Tinney's Grove. (--Campbell, p. 474.)
There is a Mount Pleasant in Miller County. (--Rand McNally, 1974.)
New Garden (Fredericksburg) was a post-office fifteen miles northwest of Richmond. (--Campbell, p. 474.)
New Garden is no longer listed.
The surveyors for the North Missouri Railroad from Moberly to Kansas City found that a straight line between these two points left Albany one mile to the north. For a station to load and unload goods, the company chose a location near the village which had developed naturally, bought land, and employed W. W. Orrick, a civil engineer of St. Charles to draw up a plat and gave his name to the town ... Orrick was incorporated in 1873, and the business men from Albany reluctantly followed suit ...
Orrick has a good claim to being the location of the first gas war. A. M. Riffe, who owned a hardware store, put in gasoline pumps to compete with Standard Oil ... Mr. Riffe posted prices two cents a gallon below Standard. When Standard lowered its price so did he. When Standard lowered to a point where he could not make a profit he closed his pumps. When Standard raised he opened his pumps. It is reported that Standard sent agents to make a deal with him, but he refused to break the antitrust laws and Standard gave up the fight. (--Ray County, pp. 63, 64.)
It is situated in the southwest corner of the county, at Sec. 23 & 24, Twp. 51 N, R. 29 W on Z south of 210.
Ovid was situated at Sec. undetermined, Twp. 54 N, R. 17 W, in Grape Grove Township. (--Map of Mo., 1884, Rand McNally & Co.)
It was located southeast of Georgeville. (--Map of Mo., 1911, Rand McNally.)
The post-office was discontinued prior to 1905. (--Taft, p. 90.)
It was situated at Sec. 25, Twp. 54 N, R. 29 W on F west of Regal. (It is no longer listed.)
A town in the northwest section of the county. The 1881, Hist. of Ray County states that the town was at time no longer in existence. It had been laid out in 1857 by a German named Isaac Bery "on a beautiful tract of high, rolling prairie land." (--Goodwin, 1867; Hist. of Ray Co., 1881, 456; Courtesy of The State Historical Society of Missouri, A. Louise Staman, Reference Specialist. See page 13 B.)
R & L Junction
Rayville elevation 960 feet
In 1871, James Crowley gave land located seven and one-half miles northwest of Richmond to be used for a town. Thomas Hankins "Uncle Tom" is referred to as the "founder of Rayville." He platted the town in 1871, built the first house and the first store and was president of the Bank of Rayville. The town was named Haller in the beginning but later was changed to Hallard when it was discovered there was another Haller in Missouri. Many years later it became Rayville, though the post-office has had that name from the beginning according to a Hist. of Ray County, 1881. There is a story
Pleasant View Fair View Slipup
It seems that the people had decided to call their little village either Pleasant View or Fair View. However, a church had already been organized and called The Pleasant View Christian Church. The village was situated on a tract of high, rolling prairie land, laid out about the year 1857 by a German named Isaac Berry who opened the first store in the place, dealing in country produce, general merchandise and farming implements. Joel J. Gardner kept a grocery store and also sold liquor, while Jacob Wybrow kept a furniture store. Stokely Williams had a store about 1870 there.
John Buchanan was a merchant for many years and Miller Stockwell and Hardin Wyman were prominent in the community. Chas. B. Bacon came in 1859. The location was in the west part of Sec. 27, Twp. 54, Range 29. Rev. Joseph McAdams told the story about an older gentleman of the neighborhood (Rippy by name) who, in attempting to climb upon his horse one day "slipt up" and fell up into the store. Old timers, being always ready for a joke, started calling the place "Slip-Up" and the nickname stuck, even to the church being called Slip-up Church usually. Denton Hyder and Rev. Ahers were two of the ministers recalled by people. Between Crooked River's flooding rampages and the coming of the railroad (which gave impetus to starting Lawson) this little village gradually faded away with only the cemetery remaining today. (--Letter from Mrs. Virginia McBee, Ray County Historical Society and Museum, Ind. Richmond, Mo.)
that men from Hallard, pulling a flat car behind a railroad handcar "swiped" the post-office from Foote Station about one and one-half miles west of Hallard and positioned it in this town. A produce business wa started about 1890. (--Ray County, p. 80.)
Rayville (Sheridan, Haller, Foot Station) was a post-office seven and one-half miles northwest of Richmond. (--Campbell, p. 474.)
It is situated at Sec. 5 Twp. 52 N, R. 28 W at the junction of V & C.
The village of Regal came into existence around 1895. It is located in northeast Ray County, fifteen miles north of Hardin, Missouri, on what is now Route A. It was named by Ed. Mansur, a resident of the community.
The first store was a one-story building on the north side of the road. It was built and operated by Willis Banister and Daniel Penny. They sold to Fred Penny, who later sold to Charles and Dan Penny. Soon the building burned ...
Sometime later, a one story building was constructed on the south side of the road. It housed a harness store and garage ... The lower floor of the Odd Fellows present building was rented out to a grocery store ... On March 18, 1928, Mr. and Mrs. Reavis Widmeier became owners and operated the store as a general merchandise store until December 31, 1964, at which time it closed. (--Ray County, p. 106.)
The post-office was discontinued prior to 1905. (--Taft, p. 91.)
It is situated at Sec. 21 & 22, Twp. 53 N, R. 26 W at the junction of JJ & A.
Mail via Richmond; no population is shown.
Richmond elevation 810 feet
Richmond was founded in 1827. It was named by "Aunt Polly" Crowley, who said, "my folks were Virginians and used to live not fur (sic) from Richmond ... I say Richmond for the county of our folks."
So it came about that Richmond, Mo., was named after Richmond, Va., which was named for Richmond Burrough, of England, which was named by a Frenchman called Richemund -- who owned the land in 1100 A. D. (--Ray County, p. 49; see, also Campbell, pp. 474, 475.)
It is situated at Sec. 29, 30, 31 & 32, Twp. 52 N, R. 27 W and Section 25 & 36, Twp. 52 N, R. 27 W, at the junction of 10, 13 & 210.
Rockingham, an agricultural community northeast of Hardin was founded by families from the Shenandoah Valley, Rockingham County, Virginia ...
The oldest building in Rockingham is the one occupied by the Ross Store and Truck Service. It was built by J. B. Shenk in the 1870's. He served as postmaster in 1877. Mr. Shenk also owned the General Hardware Store, which carried buggies, wagons, binders, walking plows and cultivators. A blacksmith shop was owned by Emil Williams who did all repair work by hand using knives and harness needles ... (--Ray County p. 107.)
The post-office was discontinued prior to 1905. (--Taft, p. 91.)
It is situated at Sec. 35 & 36, Twp. 53 N, R. 26 W on AA near Carroll County line.
Mail via Norborne and Hardin. (--Rand McNally, 1974.)
Richmond & Lexington Junction
See Henry. (--Campbell, p. 475.)
The village of Russellville was founded about 1853. The post-office name was changed to Fox in the early 1900's, as the mail was confused with another Russellville, Missouri.
John Gentry, Al Lee, Oscar Swisher and Cecil Hays are remembered as some of the managers of the general store. Besides the general store there were the P. G. Ferguson harness shop and barber shop, the post-office, blacksmith shop, and the drug store owned by Dr. Williams Gant, who was a practicing physician. Another who practiced medicine was Dr. Carpenter ... (--Ray County, p. 108.)
It was situated at Sec. 16, Twp. 53 N, R. 26 W west of A. See Fox.
There was a Russellville in Cole County. (--Rand McNally, 1974.)
On the farm of Samuel C. Settle, four miles northwest of Richmond, in 1880, a mineral spring was found bubbling up through the earth ...
On June 29, 1881, Samuel C. Settle and his wife, Surepta J. Settle sold a portion of the land on which the spring was located to the St. Cloud Spring Company ...
St. Clair (Cont)
The men of this company saw the possibility of establishing and promoting a mineral water resort ... People came in large numbers to it from great distances which made reaching home by night an impossibility. The St. Cloud Springs Company saw the need for a hotel, and a two-story hotel was erected. The Maple Leaf Hotel stood 200 feet northwest of the spring ...
There were four passenger trains a day to St. Cloud, Missouri, loading and unloading passengers from St. Joseph, Excelsior Springs and Richmond. The railroad built a depot to provide for their customers, who, in many cases, pitched their tents and stayed as long as six weeks ...
St. Cloud was stricken by problems: business became slack, the hotel ceased to pay, land owners squabbled and the final stroke came when the Maple Leaf Hotel burned in 1890 after a night of revelry which had been intended to revive the town ...
Gradually all of St. Cloud disappeared except the little spring. The creek changed its course and now flows directly over the mineral spring. (--Ray County, pp. 110, 111.)
There is a St. Cloud in Crawford County. (--Rand McNally, 1974.)
Sandals was located at Sec. 29, Twp. 54 N, R. 28 W. (--Map of Mo., 1884, Rand McNally; Williams, p. 493.) It is no longer listed.
See Rayville. (Campbell, p. 473.)
There is a Sheridan in Worth. (--Rand McNally, 1974.)
Stet meaning "let it stand," was named by Ed Mansur, a Stet storekeeper. It is located on the Ray-Carroll County line ... In 1910 Stet was a thriving community with two general stores, owned respectively the Dorsey Brothers and Bud and Joe Stratton ... (--Ray County, p. 86.)
It is situated on the Carroll County line at Sec. 1 & 12, Twp. 53 N. 26 W.
Stet is now listed in Carroll County. (--Rand McNally, 1973.)
In 1833 a settlement was made where Taitsville now stands. In that year Alfred Williams built the first house in what afterwards became the corporate limits of Taitsville. His house stood a short distance south of lot Number One and burned the year after it was built.
In 1858 J. P. Morrison built a steam mill in Taitsville. The mill was provided with but one run of Burrs and the flour was bolted by hand ... In the spring of 1869, McGlothlin & Bailes built on Lot Number One the first store in Taitsville ... James Hatfield was appointed the first postmaster on May 24, 1872.
There were two drug stores in the town, two blacksmiths and two wagon shops ...
Taitsville was incorporated November 16, 1878, with James Tait, John Tait, William G. Syler and others as trustees ... The same persons were elected members of the town board ...
Taitsville is situated in the southern part of Section 17, Township 54, Range 27 on the west fork of Crooked River. (--Ray County, p. 116.)
The post-office was discontinued pre 1905. (--Taft, p. 90.)
It is located on V between B & 13.
Mail via Polo; no population is shown. (--Rand McNally, 1974.)
"The Wee Village"
Tinney's Grove Tinney Point
It is a small village in northeast Ray County, on Route A, and has been the scene of much activity since the Civil War days. It is often referred to as Tinney's Point because of its altitude, but it bears the name of one of the early residents of the area, Tinney Grove. It was incorporated and platted in the early 1800's.
The first store was operated by John Eichler ... Green Tevault ran a livery stable and made coffins. Blacksmith shops were operated by Tom Beam and William Keller ... Steve Alsup had a harness shop and show repair shop.
The post-office, located in the general merchandise store, is technically the oldest on record, but it only lasted a month at this time (June, 1821). It was re-established in 1842 and continued until June 20, 1904.
Nathaniel Hailors was the postmaster in 1821 ... Jonathan Reno was the last to serve. (--Ray County, p. 117.)
See Mount Pleasant. (--Campbell, p. 475.)
The post-office was discontinued pre 1905. (--Taft, p. 90.)
It is situated at Sec. 10, Twp. 54 N, R. 16 W on A south of Caldwell County line.
Mail via Braymer; no population is shown. (--Rand McNally, 1974.)
Slipup was a town located about four miles northeast of Lawson. The town which was situated on a rolling high hill was originally known as Pleasant View. After 1870 when Lawson was laid out on the A. T. & S. F. R. R., business in Pleasant View began to diminish and the mocking name Slipup was given to the town. There is no evidence of a town today. (--Rich. Mo., Feb. 13, 1929, Lebold. Courtesy of the State Historical Society of Mo., A. Louise Staman, Ref. Specialist.)
Southwest of Henrietta is an area known as Sunshine ... The early settlers of Sunshine built the first school house of logs around 1840. This was known as the Foster school, but was later called Sunshine.
In 1846 Strother Stigall and his wife came from Tennessee by ox-team ... The first grocery store was built in 1841 by Sanford Hagen of Richmond who sold it to Edward Stigall after three years. The post-office was located in a small house next to the Hines home in 1890 and John Hines was the first postmaster. Mail was delivered twice a week from Henry ...
Sunshine has endured many floods (1844, 1881, 1903, 1908, 1909) but the flood of 1951 was the final straw for stalwarts and the residents moved to higher ground leaving the rich farming ground to be tended by non-residents ... (--Ray County, pp. 112, 113.)
The post-office was discontinued pre 1905. (--Taft, p. 91.)
It was situated at Sec. 6, Twp. 50 N, R. 27 W near the Missouri River. It is no longer listed.
Sulphur Springs was located at Sec. 7, Twp. 53 N, R. 26 W. (--New Atlas of Mo., Map 17.)
It is no longer listed in Ray County; there is a Sulphur Springs listed in Jefferson County. (--Rand McNally, 1974.)
The land for the town of Swanwick was given in the 1870's by Major R. J. Williams. Swanwick was named in honor of a lady in St. Joseph whose first name was Swanie, and consisted of a post-office, a blacksmith shop, general store, harness shop, drug store, with A. E. Williams as the first postmaster and John Lile the last to serve. Also, a printing shop for the "Swanwick Gazette," two doctors, Dr. T. B. Cook and Dr. Ashley and the depot. (--Ray County, p. 114.)
It is no longer listed.
Union is situated at Sec. 11, Twp. 53 N, R. 29 W on C east of M.
Mail via Lawson, no population is shown. (--Rand McNally, 1974.)
There is a Union in Franklin County. (--Ibid.)
Vibbard elevation 1045 feet
One of the towns that sprang up along the railroad which stretched from St. Joseph to North Lexington (Jack's Ferry) was Vibbard. The exact date and origin of the name are not known ... Note these words from the atlas of 1877: "Vibbard, on the St. Louis & St. Joseph Railroad fourteen miles northwest of Richmond is a flourishing town. It has six business houses, one church used by all denominations, one school house, one hotel, and a post-office. Population 150." ...
Its closest neighbor was Hallard, now Rayville. In 1904, Rayville had a sudden growth and with this Vibbard began to go out of existence. A series of fires wiped out part of the businesses and most were never rebuilt. Luther Williams was one owner of the general store. When Uncle Sam decided that this community no longer warranted a second class post-office with a rural route, the fourth class post-office operated from this store. In 1922 Mr. Williams gave up, and moved out West.
The highway now goes through Vibbard to Lawson. Tom Hamilton had the store and post-office in 1973.
One exciting moment in Vibbard in the early 1930's was the Graf Zeppelin's passing over Vibbard at a low altitude.
Today (1973) Vibbard has one of the fastest suburbs in the county called Vibbard Village. (--Ray County, p. 118.)
It is situated at Sec. 23 & 27, Twp. 53 N, R. 29 W on M between OO and U.
Mail via Lawson; population 89. (--Rand McNally, 1974.)
In the late 1930's Mr. and Mrs. Orville E. Wood purchased land ten miles west of Richmond or three and one-half miles east of Excelsior Springs (Clay County). The land in November, 1959, was converted into Wood Heights. First to build in the town were the Woods' daughter, Mrs. Dennis Klatt ... (--Ray County, p. 84.)
It is situated at Sec. 4, 5, 8 & 9, Twp. 52 N, R. 29 W and Sec. 33, Twp. 53 N, same range at the junction of O & 10 near Clay County line.
Mail via Excelsior Springs (--Rand McNally, 1974.)
Mrs. Roger McBee, of Ray County Historical Society and Museum, P. O. Box 2, Richmond, Mo., 64085, kindly made available a copy of Ray County in Review, which lists many post-offices of which I was unaware when I compiled the Directory of Ray County a few weeks ago. They are listed below:
Allen's Mill, Lisbonville, Chicken Bristle
This was located about two miles north of present day Elmira on the Ray-Caldwell County line and started as Allen's Mill, when Ison Allen and a brother in 1866 installed a steam powered sawmill, and equipped it with grist milling facilities. (--p. 21.)
It was platted by John and Matilda Brown in January, 1874 on 33 acres (NE 10-54-26) near Tinney's Point. (--p. 21.)
It was located out of Hardin southeast about 3/4 mile. There was a grocery store, a saloon, and a blacksmith shop near Buffalo. There were no bridges across Crooked River. Then the town of Hardin was platted around 1868, most people promptly moved there, and Buffalo City decayed. (--p. 21.)
This is another short lived attempt at a community which started in August, 1892 and survived until September, 1893. Location not given. (--p. 22.)
See Allen's Mill.
Located on the road east and a little north of Morton about three miles. I cannot find any evidence of the town ever having come into any further existence than just platting. (--p. 21.)
See Old Foot.
This town was platted in September, 1869, just after the Civil War by Emilius Wood and was planned to be a negro town. It was to be located between Richmond and Henrietta, in the northeast quadrant of Section 9, Township 51, Range 27 W. (--p. 21.)
This was mentioned several times in early family histories, but only that it was at a cross roads, and I naturally looked for it in the Millville area, that being in Grape Grove Township. I found the notation: "Grape Grove established a post-office May 29, 1838." Grape Grove's name was changed to Millville June 27, 1847. (--p. 20.)
Hall'sville, Oil City
It came into being north of Orrick about 1898-1900 when a sixteen hundred foot oil well was drilled there. It proved to be a dry hole. (--p. 21.)
Boyd Pigg has written me that Hull's Point was about two miles west of Pigg's Landing, just north of Callie Ron's farm. This would make it, according to the 1877 Ray County Atlas, about five miles west-northwest of Orrick.
This location is near Hall's Point (q. v.) (--Moser.)
See Allen's Mill.
In 1836 a caravan of ox-teams with the recently widowed Mrs. Riley (Rachel) McBee and her 4 married sons stopped and settled just east of Hardin, where the Red Brick School was later located. But floods very severe that year ... caused them to move in 1837 to a point past Millville. (--p. 22.)
Another name for Taitsville, (q. v.)
Sometimes called Foote Station, as a post-office, it is said to have been near or at the residence of William McGaugh. When a railroad was built from North Lexington to St. Joseph, the post-office at Otsego was moved to Old Foot Station (this was evidently just before Haller, now Raysville was platted in 1876. (--p. 20.)
During the years 1899 and 1900 there was a post-office. Its location is in the area between Orrick and Elkhorn, somewhere. (--p. 21.)
Jason N. Baker was the first postmaster beginning in May, 1851. The location according to information received from the National Archives, seven miles west of Knoxville and one mile north of Rocky Ford Creek. James F. Blackwell was the last listed postmaster, the office being discontinued in 1871, giving way to the location of Old Foot, along the newly built railroad line. (--p. 20.)
Frank Kirkland finally came to my rescue for this place, locating it a short distance north of the Crooked River bridge which is on Highway 10 just before one reaches Hardin. (--p. 20.)
This little community was on the bank of Fishing River at the crossing of the Missouri City road, 3 miles west of Orrick on Highway 210 and named in honor of Jefferson Pigg. Known locally as Pigg's Landing. (--p. 22.)
Known first as the Grange Store, then as Sandal's Store, and finally shortened to just Sandals. James Sandals had a grist and saw mill here as well as his store. (--See Sandals, p. 16, of this directory.)
In September, 1883, Bartlett Sisk made an application to change the post-office from New Garden, a distance of 3/4 mile to his house and to call it Sisk's Mill. (--p. 21.)
From 1892, August, through April, 1895, a post-office existed in this area about 2 1/2 miles south of Elkton. (--p. 22.)
All I could find on this was that a post-office existed from August 21, 1856, through February 12, 1889 and that George S. Ewing was postmaster. The name seems to be another attempt to spell Wakenda Creek, so I have placed it in that area. (--p. 23.)
A post-office was opened here in 1874 with Charles L. Bowen as the official in charge, followed by Alvina Bowen in 1879, then being discontinued in 1887. Its location is 4 miles north of Fox-Russellville, 6 miles south of Tinney's Grove and 4 1/2 miles southeast of Ovid. (--p. 22.)
For a fuller account of Bluffton, the reader is invited to contact Mrs. McBee in reference to her book mentioned earlier. The account is too long to include here.
The personal pronouns used in this appendix refer to Mrs. McBee.
Mrs. McBee has a letter (1830) from Virginia to a Mr. Jacobsman and addressed to him at Cherry Hill, Ray County, Mo. She thinks this was the name of his home.
Prospect Hill was located in northwest Ray County, four miles south of today's Lawson, just twelve miles east of the Ray County line, in Section 19, Township 53 N, Range 29 West. Wm. Sullenger carried all the mail with him whenever he left his home (where the post-office was and delivered it whenever he chanced to find some one who had mail.)
In 1852 a new stage line, went from Richmond to Plattsburg and the town of Claysville, Northwest Clay County was established and the post-office moved to there and the name of Prospect Hill was kept for several years for the post-office, even in Claysville. (--Mrs. Ruth B. Roney, Lawson, Mo. Forwarded by Mrs. Roger McBee, Richmond, Mo.)
Springfield-Greene County Library