Compiled by Arthur Paul Moser
Acorn was in the southwest corner of the county, on the Arkansas border. (--The State of Missouri, in 1904, p. 497, Walter Williams.)
It is the name of a discontinued post-office for the old R. R. Station Sinsabaugh (q. v.) in the southeast part of Harris Township. Named for the large acorns of the cow or overcup oak, that grew in that vicinity. (--Place Names.) (See Sinsabaugh.)
It is on the Oregon County line, 3 1/2 miles northeast of Mitch (Oregon Co.). (--The State of Missouri, in 1904, p. 497.)
A. C. C. C. Camp near Bardley. (--A Thesis by Cora Ann Pottenger.)
Bardley is a village and post-office in the southwest part of Pine Township. J. Peter Wooding, a merchant here, offered the name Bordley, his old home town in Union Co., Kentucky, which he had left about 1891. Somehow a mistake was made and the Postal Department spelled it with an "a." The nickname, "Tight Wad," was sometimes applied because some merchants dealt so closely in trade. (--Place Names.)
It is located at Section 31, Township 24 N, Range 1 W, on Highway J, on the Oregon Co. line. (--General Highway Map of Ripley County, issued by The Missouri State Highway Department, 4-1-72. Unless otherwise noted all map descriptions are from this map.)
Barfield, now Naylor, (q. v.) was established and named by the Iron Mountain R. R. officials when the Doniphan branch of the road was built, for Oscar F. Barfield, a large land owner, and farmer, who gave the site. His father, Louis K. Barfield, had come from Illinois before the Civil War and entered land in Ripley County. (--Place Names.)
An early name sometimes given to Barfield, (q. v.). (--Place Names.)
During the time of the early settlements in this section there were large stretches of grassy, nearly treeless regions very fine for grazing. Eaton says the name came from the Barrens in Kentucky, which seems very plausible because many of the earliest pioneers came from that state. The name is a descriptive word for the landscape. (--Place Names.) See, also, Butler and Oregon Counties.
Barren (Carter and Ripley Counties)
A post-office established during the 1880's in the name of Louis Hedrick in Carter County. After the death of Mr. Hedrick in 1908, it was moved into various homes near Big Barren Creek, whence came its name, until Mr. Lewis (cf. Lewis Cave) took it into his home, where it remained until the rural route was established in 1933. (--Place Names.)
A valley, 2 1/2 miles southwest of Ponder. According to a local informant, it took its name from a considerable skirmish fought there between Captain Reeve's Confederate forces and the Union soldiers. The engagement referred to was doubtless the one commonly known as the Ponder's Mill battle, fought on Sept. 20, 1864. It was the opening encounter of Price's famous Missouri expedition of Aug. 29, to Dec. 2, 1864, and one of the most notable of Confederate successes on that last ill-fated effort of the Southern army in the state. According to Willy Britton's history, the raid began with the entrance into Missouri of the Confederate column under General Joseph Shelby. Near Ponder's Mill the Confederates came upon and surrounded a detachment of eighty men under Lieutenant Erich Pape. A full account is given in the official records compiled in The War of the Rebellion, from which it appears that the skirmish took place on Little Black River, and that all but ten of the Union forces were either killed or captured. There is no mention in either of these authorities of the Southern officer named Reeves in connection with this particular engagement, but he is doubtless to be identified with the well known Colonel Timothy Reeves, for whom see under Reeves Station in Butler County. Colonel (not Captain) Reeves may well have been in command of that part of the Confederate forces immediately engaged at Ponder's Mill. (--Place Names.)
Note: A directory of Butler County will be issued later.
See Mabrey Spring and Righter's Mill. (--Place Names.)
A discontinued post-office in Johnson Township. Holly Powers, the first postmaster, cared for the mail in his home but ran the Powers (q. v.) Mill, just over the line in Butler Co. It was given the name of the stream nearby. (--Place Names.)
Beaver-Dam Creek (Carter, Ripley and Butler Counties)
It rises in southeast Johnson Township, in Carter County, and flows across Johnson Township in Ripley County, into Little Black River (q. v.) in Butler County. Beavers were numerous in this vicinity in the pioneer days and the animals' dens or dams were common along the stream. (--Place Names.)
In Pine Township a pool of living water in Little Barren Creek, surrounded by rock hills and small bluffs, the only remains of the old logging camp of the Ozark Land and Lumber Co., abandoned about 1902. A watering place for wild bees. (--Place Names.)
Mr. Doherty explains that it is an old traditional land mark, an early pioneer road that led from the north part of Howell County, through the Irish Wilderness (q. v.) to Pocahontas, Arkansas. The county map shows the Bellview Road to extend no farther than Ponder (q. v.) where it intersects with the Gatewood-Ponder Road which extends on to Doniphan. Mr. Doherty thinks the Bellview School was named for the road, but Mr. Meisel thinks the road was named for the Bellview School. I (Miss Pottenger) am inclined to believe, since Mr. Meisel's explanation corresponds with the map, that he is correct on saying the road took the school name. (--Place Names.)
One of the old schools in Flatwood Township, built on land belonging to F. W. Bell, who came from Pennsylvania in 1870, and owned a farm northeast of Doniphan. He later became postmaster in Doniphan. For a number of years it was known as Bell School, also, for Mr. Bell. When the community outgrew the old box house and erected another building, its name became Bellview East School to distinguish it from the Bellview School (q.v.) in Union Township. The name is of double origin, named for Mr. Bell and for the topography of that part of the county. The region is nearly level and one can see for some distance when the view is not obscured with timber. The suffix "view" appears to be a favorite in this section of the county. (--Place Names.)
Another Bellview School in Union Township. For many years it was the only school in that community on the old Bellview Road (q. v.). It later acquired the name of Bellview West School to be designated as a different one from Bellview (East) School. (--Place Names.)
It was in the northwest portion of the county, 8 1/2 miles northeast of Bardley, (Oregon Co.). (--The State of Missouri, in 1904, p. 497.)
It was located at Section 18, Township 24 N, Range 1 E, on Highway C, north of 160.
A star route post-office, established in the farm home of Berthold P. Ladd, 5 1/2 miles southeast of Doniphan. Ladd, for whom the office was named, was Captain of Co. E, from Ripley Co., in the Spanish-American War. His daughter carried the mail and probably suggested the name. Mr. Ladd died in Panama. (--Place Names.)
Big Cave on Barren
See Lewis Cave. (--Place Names.)
A spring-fed deeper bay, bluish in color of Clear Creek, east of Pine (q. v.). It is one of the mill camps of the Missouri Land and Mining Co., established in 1896 or 1897. It was also known as Thaxton Camp, because it was on J. A. Thaxton's land. Now generally known only as Blue Hole Spring. (--Place Names.)
A good spring, very useful in the earlier days, situated at the foot of an abrupt hill near the west edge of Doniphan. (--Place Names.)
See Ferguson Mill. (--Place Names.)
A lumber village and post-office on the Doniphan Branch R. R. Congressman William Dawson suggested the name for his friend Herman Borth who had a saw mill at the place. Born of German parents in St. Louis, Mr. Borth came to the county during the timber boom and later was a merchant in Doniphan for a number of years. Nothing remains of the place now, but the Borth Spring, which took the name of the village. (--Place Names.)
A post-office in Kelly Township, established in 1892, through the efforts of Mr. Willis A. Randel, who owned and operated a store in the community. In answer to the request of the Postal Department that the name be short, his box-style store building suggested the name. (--Place Names.)
A post-office and village on Highway 160, in Sherley Township. Lemuel Foyle, a merchant and the first postmaster, named it Briar Creek for the stream nearby. The Postal Department shortened the name to Briar in 1937. (--Place Names.)
It is located at Section 16, Township 23 N, Range 1 E, on Highways O & 160.
A small stream in Sherley Township flowing into Current River. It was also known earlier as Green Briar Creek for the saw briar or bamboo vine, commonly known as green briar. This vine remains green and often holds many of its leaves which remain green far into the winter. This vine is very common in South Missouri. (--Place Names.)
An abandoned timber station 3 1/2 miles southeast of Doniphan on the Mo. Pac. R. R. Established in 1907 for loading ties, lumber, and piling during the thriving timber days. Named by railroad officials for S. L. Brinkerhoff, who came from Ohio and operated saw mills in this vicinity. (--Place Names.)
A mill village, now extinct, in Sherley Township on South Fork of Buffalo Creek. William A. Brown operated a saw mill there from about 1915 to 1924. (--Place Names.)
See Current View. (--Place Names.)
A discontinued post-office in Johnson Township, established by foreigners, chiefly Austrians, Bohemians, Poles and Slavs, from New York and Chicago, who purchased from the Missouri Lumber and Mining Co., cut-over land and developed a thriving settlement about 1910. Their leader, the first postmaster, Gabriel Oberney, who had come from Austria, probably suggested the name for the capital of Hungary. (--Place Names. Mrs. Eunice Pennington.)
A pond in Pine Township, 1 mile east of Handy (q. v.). Tradition says it was really made by the buffaloes. Mr. C. E. Drain explained that it appears to be like those he has seen in Kansas. (--Place Names.)
An abandoned village and post-office in Union Township, near the State line. For several years, Moses Burr operated a cotton gin and a store. The post-office which he kept in his store was given his name. (--Place Names.)
Burr was on the Arkansas line, 8 miles south of Ponder. (--The State of Missouri, in 1904, p. 497.)
It was located at Section 5, Township 21 N, Range 1 E, on Highway DD.
A tie and logging camp at the head of Terrible Creek in Pine Township during the late timbers days from about 1912 to 1925. The land is now in farms. Named for Roy Chroinski, who was with the Western Tie and Lumber Co. The Camp Roy Saw Mill was situated 1 1/2 miles northeast, nearer South Fork of Buffalo Creek. (--Place Names.)
Camp Roy Saw Mill
See Camp Roy. (--Place Names.)
A post-office in Sherley Township. Discontinued in 1913, and the mail sent to Briar Creek (q. v.), 2 1/2 miles away. James F. Young, who was instrumental in getting the office established in a country store belonging to his father Van Young, is said to have given the name. Some of the informants thought the origin of the name was Mr. Young's wife or an old sweetheart, but Mr. Young's statement is emphatic:
"Not for any person; I just looked for a short unusual name and just thought of it." Possibly Mr. Young found the name already in use, for it is an old family name (usually spelled Cary) in the county. (--Place Names.)
It was northeast of Ponder and south of Briar Creek. (--Map of Western States, 1911, Rand, McNally & Co.)
See Lewis Cave. (--Place Names.)
It was in the southwest corner of the county, 3 miles from Griswold, (Oregon Co.). (--The State of Missouri, in 1904, p. 497.)
A post-office in Gatewood Township in extreme southwest part. Established about 1899 by Wm. L. Hudson, a farmer, who had a store and blacksmith shop at this place. Some think the name was taken from the given name of some member of the family, but Mr. F. Shipman explains that Mrs. Hudson had told him that the Postal Authorities rejected the name her husband sent in and offered this name. It is very probably a feminine Christian name. Cf. June Switch and Joan Spur. (--Place Names.)
Cherokee Bay Road (Ripley and Butler Counties)
A noted old pioneer road extending southwest from the Military Road (q. v.) from the Cave Creek Settlement, through Naylor, Ripley Co. (q. v.), to the old Cherokee Indian Settlement in North Arkansas, called Cherokee Bay. From Houck's map, II, 227, it appears to be a part of the old Natchitoches Path. The road has recently received considerable improvement and is used extensively. (--Place Names.)
Current River Fishing and Hunting Club
It was established about 1925, 5 miles south of Doniphan on the west side of Current River, by St. Louis and Doniphan people. It burned in 1934. (--Place Names.)
A very small village in Harris Township on Current River. Being on a navigable stream, steamboats came this far in the early days and it became quite a little village during the late 1880's and 1890's. Thomas J. Wilson, who owned the land, laid off the lots and several houses sprang up. The post-office was established about 1895, and the name given, one informant understands, by Thomas J. Wilson, from whose home one could get a beautiful view of the river current for some distance.
Up to this time the place, a mere trading-post on the river, was known as Buck Skull, but the exact origin of this name is shrouded in legend. One reports that a large buck was killed and the skull hung up at the post; another that in 1858 the place was known by this name; another informant was told by J. R. Kelly that he saw the skull. There were many deer in the section, and hunting and trapping were important industries.
The old Indian name was Dona Wali -- one informant thinks Cherokee; another Osage. Cherokee is likely correct because a section of North Arkansas between Black and Current Rivers is known as Cherokee Bay. Cf. the note on possible Cherokee origin of Low Wassie Creek in Oregon County. (--Place Names.)
It was located at Section 5, Township 21 N, Range 3 W, on Highway E, on the Arkansas line.
A country store and filling station on Highway 42, (now 160), 6 miles west of Fairdealing, built recently and operated by Mrs. Elsie Davidson. (--Place Names.)
A pioneer grist mill set up near the mouth of Mill Creek on Fourche Creek by Elijah Dalton, who came here from Tennessee before 1820. Later a son, Joe Dalton, made improvements and put in a turbine wheel. The mill, long since in ruins, was the voting place for years. The Dalton Graveyard near, named for Elijah Dalton, was begun as a family burial ground. It was later known as the McCord Cemetery, for Calvin McCord who owned the land near. (--Place Names.)
The name of the Indian village that once existed at the present site of Current View. The Land Mark Club reports a trading-post by this name there as early as 1804, which was of considerable importance for fur-trading in pioneer days. The source and meaning of the name has not been ascertained. (--Place Names.)
Doniphan, the county seat, on the east bank of the Current River 30 miles southwest of Poplar Bluff, Butler Co., its nearest railroad station (1874), is a good business point and commands the trade of the entire county. It has a substantial court-house, a school-house, 5 stores, 3 shops and 1 mill. Population, (1874) about 200. (--Gazetteer of Missouri, Campbell, 1874, p. 480.)
It is on Current River and Mo. Pac. R. R. in Doniphan Township. When Carter County was organized in 1849 with Van Buren (q.v.) as its county seat, Doniphan, which had been settled about 1847 was selected as the seat of justice for Ripley Co. Abraham Martin, who had entered land here, suggested the name, explains Mr. Langford, for Col. Doniphan, under whom he had fought in the Mexican War. Miss Williams says the donor of the name was George Lee whose residence stood at the present site of the Odd Fellows Lodge Hall, and who gave 21 acres for the village and cemetery. Alexander William Doniphan, born in Macon County, Kentucky in 1808, the youngest of ten children, a noted lawyer and orator, was elected as Colonel of the Missouri troops during the Mexican War. This troop, numbering about 800 men and led in person by Col. Doniphan, was called to active service in May, 1846. At a peace conference in Washington in 1861, President Lincoln recognized the former Colonel as the one who had made "a wild march against the Commanches and Mexicans." Doniphan died in Richmond, Virginia in 1867.
The Indians had a village here, but I (Miss Pottinger) have been unable to find the Indian name. As early as 1802, according to the Land Mark Club of Doniphan, the trading-post there was known as Galigini, but the source of that name has not been found. During the Civil War the village was plundered and burned. (--Place Names.)
It is located at Sections 22, 23, 26 & 27, Range 2 W, on Highways 142, 170, Y & 21.
A post-office discontinued when rural routes were established in southeast Sherley Township. Calvin Doyle, land owner, kept a small store and the office in his farm home. James F. Young, who owned the store and got the post-office established named it for the storekeeper, his father-in-law. (--Place Names.)
It was 5 miles west of Doniphan. (--The State of Missouri, in 1904, p. 497.)
It was east of Ponder, possibly in Section 3, Township 22 N, Range 1 E. Highway 142 runs through the area. (--Map of Western States, 1911, Rand, McNally & Co., with the aid of General Highway Map of Ripley Co.)
A post-office 10 miles northeast of Doniphan, established by Daniel Fagan and kept in his home. A Dr. Douglas, relative of the Fagans, suggested the name for a lawyer, Nathaniel Dryden, then a member of the legislature. (--Place Names.)
A post-office in Poynor Township, near the State line. It took the name of the spring nearby, which was not a living stream. It was kept for a time by Wm. Meisel, who owned land and kept a store. The office was discontinued when Poynor, (q.v.) was established. (--Place Names.)
It was near the Arkansas border in Township 21, Range 1 E. (--New Atlas of Missouri, 1874, Campbell, Map #36.)
See Ferguson Mill. (--Place Names.)
There are three places so named in Ripley County; one located near the Old Military Road Crossing on Current River; one on Little Black River in Varner Township, where a bridge was later built, and another at the Current River Road Crossing on Current River, just below the mouth of Big Barren Creek. For the name, cf. "dug road and dugway" defined in the O A E as "a road dug in a cliff, along the bank of a river, etc." In all the places so called one or both of the banks had to be dug down to make the crossing possible or easier. (--Place Names.)
A post-office in Flatwoods Township. Established in the home of Mrs. Mabel Hill, the first postmistress who suggested the name of her nephew, Ernest B. Slayton. (--Place Names.)
It was north of Fairdealing, near the Butler Co. line. (--Map of Western States, 1911, Rand, McNally & Co.)
It is 12 miles northeast of Doniphan. It had 1 store and 2 shops. Population, about 30, (1874). (--Gazetteer of Missouri, Campbell, 1874, p. 480.)
See Fairdealing. (--Place Names.)
Fairdealing is a village and post-office in Washington Township, on the Old Military Road and Highway 160. Before the Civil War, William Rife owned a farm here, and put in a small store, where the post-office now stands. The town was laid out January 20, 1871, by the owner; but later the citizens appealed to the County Court, and the town organization was nullified; hence there are no legal numbers to the lots. In 1886, through the efforts of Gus Rife, son of William, the post-office was established. The name of the village, Fair Dealing was changed to Fairdealing by the Postal Authorities. The exact origin of the name seems lost and exists only in legend. There are two prevailing stories; In the early days a stranger passing by, traded for a saddle here; feeling that he had got his money's worth, he remarked that was a pretty fair dealing place. The idea of dealing fairly came to be a sort of joke, and thus the name Fair Dealing grew up long before the post-office was established. Another story told is that during the Civil War, a rough character, going through the vicinity, stole a fine horse but left the saddle. The expression that he had dealt fairly suggested the name for the place. (--Place Names. Mrs. Pennington.)
It is located at Section 3, Township 23 N, Range 4 W, on Highway 160, west of the Butler Co. line.
Originally Kittrell's Mill (q.v.). Then it was taken over by one of the early pioneers, David Bellinger, long before the Civil War. Later bought and operated by Jarrett H. Dudley. James Ferguson then bought the mill in the 1880's and sold to James McKenzie, under whose ownership it was demolished. At first a small grist mill, it had become very important in the 1870's as a corn and wheat mill and a carding factory. The old mill site, about 2 miles southeast of Doniphan, is in the City Park, established in 1934. (--Place Names.)
An old post-office in Jordan Township, established through the efforts of Rev. Elmore Carlyle, and kept at first in the home of E. J. Way. Mrs. E. J. Way suggested the poetical name from the romantic appearance of the place -- a beautiful valley with ferns, near Flat Creek. (--Place Names.)
It was north of Dryden, 3 miles. (--The State of Missouri, in 1904, p. 497.)
A discontinued post-office kept in various homes and country stores in the community northwest of Fairdealing. Established in 1900 in the home of W. A. Ford who gave the name from the topography of the region. The school established later was named for the post-office. (--Place Names.)
It was approximately 9 miles northeast of Doniphan. (--The State of Missouri, in 1904, p. 497.)
It was located at Section 1, Township 23 N, Range 3 E, on Highway BB, north of 160.
A small grocery store and Shell filling station 1 mile west of Briar on Highway 14. Established 1935 by Earl Fogle. (--Place Names.)
A small country store about 1 mile south of Fairdealing, operated by Homer Fowler. Established in 1933. (--Place Names.)
A post-office kept by Benjamin Fugate, a school teacher, in his farm home in Current River Township. It was established in the early 1890's (shown on 1895 map) and discontinued when Pratt (q. v.) was made a post-office. (--Place Names.)
As early as 1802, this was the name of a trading-post at the present site of Doniphan (q.v.), but the origin of the name has not been found. It sounds like an Indian name. (--Place Names.)
A little post-office and village, now extinct, about 3 miles southwest of Fairdealing (q.v.). When the post-office was established, this name was coined from the syllable Gam -- for Gamblin, because there were Gamblins in the community and the suffix-burg. The earlier name was Cross Roads for its location at the crossing of the old Doniphan and Poplar Bluff Road and the Military Road. The old Gamblin School, later divided into other districts, was near the location of Torch. (--Place Names.)
It was 4 miles northeast of Varner, which in turn was 10 1/2 miles southeast of Doniphan. (--The State of Missouri, in 1904, p. 497.)
A post-office and declining village in Gatewood Township. The office, now in the Cronin Store, was established before the Civil War in the home of Richard C. Hudson and named for an old settler near, Richard Gatewood, who had entered land there about 1850. Before the office was moved to the present location in 1882 it was kept in various homes and stores. It was moved to the present location of Ponder where it was known as Doherty for about two years. Then the office was re-established as Gatewood at its present site. The village took the name of the post-office. (--Place Names.)
It is located at Section 8, Township 22 N, Range 1 W, at the junction of Highways 142 & V, near the Oregon County line.
It was a post-office 15 miles southeast of Doniphan. (--Gazetteer of Missouri, Campbell, 1874, p. 480.)
It was 6 miles north of Ponder. (--The State of Missouri, in 1904, p. 497.)
George Ederer Club House
On the west side of Current River, near the mouth of Wild Cat Hollow (q.v.). In 1927, Mr. Ederer established it for the purpose of renting it to hunters and fishermen. (--Place Names.)
A post-office and timber village in Varner Township. Earnest Hess named it for his son Glenn. (--Place Names.)
It was located at Section 30, Township 22, Range 4 W, on Highway 142.
A post-office in Pine Township, established in Noah Haney's small country store. The story is told that because of poor penmanship in the petition, the Postal Authorities mistook the suggested name Haney for Handy. Some remarked the name was appropriate for it would now be so "handy" -- convenient -- to get the mail twice a week right at home, instead of going the long distance to Pine. (--Place Names.)
It was located in the extreme northwest corner of the county, near the Carter & Oregon County lines. It was at Section 19, Township 24 N, Range 1 W, on an unmarked county road running west from Highway C.
See Waddle's Mill. (--Place Names.)
Hawes Club House
A well equipped lodge on the east side of Current River, 8 miles north of Doniphan. Harry B. Hawes, (1869 -) owned the place and it has retained his name, although it is now owned by A. K. Handlan of St. Louis. Mr. Hawes served as U. S. Senator, (1927-1933.) (--Place Names.)
A post-office established in Wm. Taylor's store on the Frisco R. R., 3 miles southwest of Naylor. Wm. Taylor, who had come from Indiana, gave the name for James Hemenway, Congressman and Senator from Indiana. James Alexander Hemenway (1860-1923), served as representative in Congress from 1895 to 1905, and as Senator from 1905 to 1909. (--Place Names.) See Riga.
Hill Top Inn
A store, filling station, cabins, lunch room, and dance hall, on Highway 14, 1 1/2 miles north of Doniphan, situated on a high elevation. (--Place Names.)
It was located at Section 13, Township 23 N, Range 2 E, on Highway 21.
At Hodo Spring (q.v.). A camp of the Western Tie and Timber Co. See Camp Roy. (--Place Names.)
In northwest Pine Township. It is the chief source of Running Water Creek. It took the name of Martin Hodo who lived there for a number of years. (--Place Names.)
Holford Service Station
Established in 1929, on Highway 14, 7 miles west of Doniphan by George Holford, a World War (I) Veteran. Operated until 1933. (--Place Names.)
A logging camp on Little Barren Creek. Doubtless horses were used for the timber work there, says Mr. J. Lewis. Possibly a camp was there too, where the teams were kept. (--Place Names.)
About 3 miles north of the Arkansas line, on Current River. During Jackson's administration when the Indians were being moved by way of the old Military Road, the owners at Pittman's Ferry, Arkansas, asked too much for the use of their ferry. The authorities cut out a road and forded the river. The name Indian Ford remained for many years. This is probably the same place that was later known as Dug Ford, (q.v.). (--Place Names.)
Irish Settlement (Oregon and Ripley Counties)
An early settlement, chiefly in Ripley County, a few miles north of the present site of Bardley, (Oregon Co.), sponsored by Rev. John Hogan, priest of St. Michael's Parish of St. Louis. Father Hogan and others, imbued with the missionary spirit, soon after the panic of 1857, set about to aid the Poor Irish, good home and peace-loving Catholics, many of whom were distressed railroad laborers. Some had fled from persecution in Ireland. Rev. James Fox, of Old Mines, Missouri, bought a tract of land for the settlement. A one-story log house, 40 feet square, was erected and partitioned: one, for chapel; the other for the private residence. Land clearing, house building and well digging were begun, and by the spring of 1859, about forty families had settled on land entered at 12 1/2 cents an acre, or on improved farms near by. Father Hogan had settled there in November, 1858.
Old Priest Field, now owned by Wm. Hatfield, about 2 miles southeast of Wilderness, (Oregon Co.), is now grown up into timber; the ruins of the well, a pile of stone that made the foundation, and some excellent citizens -- descendants of these early settlers -- remain to mark the missionary efforts. During the Civil War, marauding bands devastated the settlement.
Some were killed; all who could fled to other states or sections. The region, in ruins and covered with much timber, was later known as the Irish Wilderness. Some land was sold for taxes. The timber was worked off by the Ozark Land and Lumber Co., and the Moss Tie Co. (--Place Names.)
Irish Wilderness (Oregon and Ripley Counties)
See Irish Settlement. (--Place Names.)
Later Kingbee. An abandoned mill village and post-office in Flatwood Township, established by Thomas L. Wright, the owner of the mill, in 1895. It was the largest mill in the county at that time. Besides grinding corn, they sawed and planed the lumber. Telephone service was extended to the place. The name was given to signify the importance of the place. (--Place Names.)
King Bee (Cont)
King Bee was so named by Thomas L. Wright, to signify the importance of his mill, which was the largest in the County at that time. The term is an Americanism in the sense of "supreme ruler, master, aristocrat"; cf. Mark Twain's Joan of Arc (II, vii. 236): "He was king-bee of the little village." (The reader is invited to read additional information in the book from which this excerpt is taken.) (--Our Storehouse of Missouri Place Names, Ramsay, p. 138.)
It was in the northeast part of the county, near the Butler Co. line, and 6 miles northwest of Fairdealing. (--The State of Missouri, in 1904, p. 497.)
Kingbee Service Station
A small store and filling station on Highway 14, (now 160) 3 miles west of Fairdealing. Built in 1929 by Mrs. L. R. Strand, who gave the old village name, (q.v.).
A pioneer grist and carding mill about 1 miles south of Doniphan on Current River. It was set up by a large pioneer land owner, Lemuel Kittrell, the first permanent settler of that vicinity, who came from Kentucky in 1819, with none but Indians for his neighbors. He entered large tracts of land, had many slaves, and became a wealthy and influential citizen of the county. The mill remained through the Civil War. (--Place Names.) (See Ferguson Mill).
A discontinued post-office in Union Township, a family name. John Liebig of St. Louis Co., originally from Germany, homesteaded land in this part of the county in the early 1870's. (--Place Names.)
In Kelly Township, 3 1/2 miles from Current River. It is at least 20 feet high and 50 feet wide at its mouth, and a large spring-fed stream flows from it into Big Barren Creek 1/2 mile east. There are several rooms in the cave and boats can go back for some distance. Mushrooms are cultivated, and the cave is noted, locally, for its stalagmites and stalactites and blind fish. Mr. James Lewis, the owner who came from Tennessee in 1877, has put in electric lights and the place is popular with tourists, fishermen and picnickers. It was earlier known as Big Cave or Barren, or Big Barren Cave. (--Place Names.)
A post-office that was kept in various homes and stores for a number of years, but finally lost its name when Gamburg (q.v.), was established. Named for the largest stream in the community. (--Place Names.)
A post-office 12 miles north of Doniphan. (--Gazetteer of Missouri, p. 480.)
There are two locations for Little Black shown on Map #36, of New Atlas of Missouri, 1874, Campbell. One, in Section 2, Township 23 N, Range 4 E, (near the Butler Co. line, and the other one in Section 10, same township and range.
The site of the old log cabin of Lemuel Kittrell, the first settler in what is now Ripley Co. He came from Kentucky in 1819, entered large tracts of land along Current River, and set up a grist mill just south of the site of Doniphan. He also had a brickyard. Doubtless the name grew up in later years for the rocky cliff at the old homestead. cf. Kittrell's Mill. (--Place Names.)
See Mabrey Spring. (--Place Names.)
See Mabrey Spring. (--Place Names.)
Near the mouth of Big Barren Creek, 1/2 mile from Current River, Thomas Mabrey had a grist and saw mill there as early as 1877. The mill which burned in 1855 was never replaced. A dam was made to furnish water power, thus forming a bay which gave rise to the names Mabrey Bay and Bay Mill. Pinkley Mabrey, a brother, also lived there. The cemetery of this name marks the place. (--Place Names.)
It was in the southeast section of the county, the second section west of Butler Co. (--New Atlas of Missouri, 1874, Campbell, Map #36.)
Apparently it was in Section 1, Township 22 N, Range 3 E. John F. Martin, a land owner, had a store and kept the post-office near the present site of Oxly. (--Place Names.)
A post-office and mill in Jordan Township, established by Thomas McKinney who set up the water power grist mill on Little Black River as early as 1859. After the Civil War he rebuilt the grist mill and put in a sash saw for furnishing neighborhood lumber. It was all run by a gasoline engine. Although the mill was owned by others it acquired only one other name, Shiloh for the community in which it was located. Thomas McKinney was postmaster until the post-office was transferred to Fernook. (--Place Names.)
In 1825 Jason W. Dodd established a store and filling station near his home on Highway 14 (now 160), halfway between Doniphan and Alton. Three years later, when he discontinued the store and station, he erected a building for the Pentecostal Church. This church took the name of the store. Now used for a dwelling house. (--Place Names.)
Military Road (Butler and Ripley Counties)
It is a part of one of the most famous trails, the Natchitoches Path (q.v.). Dr. John R. Hume wrote as quoted in the Missouri Historical Review, Vol. 24, p. 613: "One of the oldest and most interesting roads in the Middle West because it is woven into the warp and woof of our pioneer life in such a way as to make it inseparable from our National history." Houck wrote: "After the settlement of the country, the Natchitoches Path became the military and wagon road of the immigrants moving into Arkansas, crossing the Mississippi at Bambridge or Cape Girardeau, thence moving to the St. Francois River, crossing the same at the Indian Ford, thence to Black River, crossing near Poplar Bluff and then Current River at what was long known as Pittman's Ferry." Tradition says it was along this road that the Kittrell's (cf. Kittrell's Store in Butler Co., and Kittrell's Mill in Ripley Co.) came, and it was along this trail under President Jackson's command was cut out the road over which the U. S. moved the Indians in 1838-1839 (cf. Reeves Station in Butler Co., and Battle Hollow in Ripley Co.).
Col. Wm. Monks of West Plains, who remembered the Cherokee Indians in Alabama, wrote that his father, James Monks, who with his family came from Alabama, and located first in Fulton, Ark. (later came to Howell Co.), "came by way of Jackson, Missouri, traveled the old Military Road made by the government troops in removing the Cherokee Indians from the State of Alabama to their present location." He further states that it was the only road leading west.
Military Road (Cont)
The Missouri Cash Book, Aug. 6, 1936, has an interesting article on the removal of the Cherokee Indians from North and South Carolina, East Tennessee, North Georgia, and North Alabama to Arkansas, and Indian Territory. The writer explains that in 1817 some of the dissatisfied Cherokees traded their rights for lands west of the Mississippi along the upper branches of Red and White Rivers. They located in northwest Arkansas. Then in 1838-1839, because of encroachments of the Whites, the other branch of the Cherokees, by a treaty of 1835, were moved by military force from their old home to the Cherokee Reservation (now in Oklahoma) where those of Arkansas joined them. Dr. Hume also mentioned an old trail leading from Sun Flower Landing on the Mississippi River, below the mouth of the St. Francois River, now Cherokee Bay and northward.
These statements add weight to the local reports that a portion of the Military Road in Butler and Ripley Counties was also known as the Cherokee Bay Road, (q.v.). Some of the oldest settlers interviewed spoke of the country about Corning, Arkansas, as the Cherokee Bay section. It seems quite certain that both names, the Military Road and Cherokee Bay Road derive their names from these Indians; the first, for their forced removal, the latter for the early settlement in Arkansas. (--Place Names.)
In second section east of Carter Co. in the southwest part of the county. (--New Atlas of Missouri, Campbell, 1874, Map #36.)
A settlement and post-office at the present location of Ponder (q.v.). This name is shown on maps of 1867, 1870, 1873 and 1884. On map of 1889, it appears to be Segin, (q.v.), while on the 1891 map and thereafter it is Ponder. It is on the west side of Fourche Creek which was known as Mill Creek in the earlier days, because a man by the name of Murdock had a mill there before the Civil War. The Ponders and Murdocks were living there in 1858. Evidently the settlement took the name of the stream. (--Place Names.)
Mill Creek (The Stream)
It heads west of Gatewood (q.v.) and flows south into Fourche Creek. Its name grew up because a pioneer grist mill was located near its mouth. See Dalton's Mill. Father Hogan tells of an experience of his at this place, 13 miles south from the Irish Settlement and 1 mile north of the Arkansas line, when he was there on a sick call in December, 1859. Here he was endangered by an ex-convict, but he was protected by Judge Hutcheson on Mill Creek. Parker speaks of Mill Creeks. (--Place Names.)
Also known as Mullen's Switch and Mullens. A small village established by the officials of the Doniphan Branch R. R., about 4 miles east of Doniphan. Named for Michael Mullen, a land owner and farmer there, who operated a lumber mill. (--Place Names.)
See Mill Creek, the settlement. (--Place Names.)
Natchitoches Path (Butler and Ripley Counties)
An old Indian trail on the south side of the Mississippi River, starting from the present site of Cape Girardeau, and diverging "southwest to Natchitoches, one of the ancient Spanish ports of Mexico, now in Louisiana." Houck (II, 104) says it crosses the St. Francis River at "Indian Ford." By his map (I. 227) the Indian Ford is unquestionably the one later called Williams Ferry (q.v.) and Pollard's Ferry (q.v.), for the trail is shown as crossing Butler Co. from the extreme northeast corner in a southwesterly direction northwest of Poplar Bluff, and crosses the southeast corner of Ripley County into Arkansas. Later known as Military Road (q.v.). It leads into Natchitoches, on Red River, an old French mission town founded in 1714. It is now the seat of Natchitoches Parish. Its origin is that of an Indian tribe, the Natchez along the lower Mississippi River and west ward. (--Place Names.)
A small town at the junction of the Frisco and Doniphan Branch Railroads in Thomas Township. Formerly Barfield, (q.v.). Because freight destination was confused with Barfield, Arkansas, the Horton Land and Lumber Co., operating in the vicinity, asked that a change of name be made. The mill officials suggested the name for Wm. A. Naylor, their land surveyor, who was a Federal captain from Indiana. (--Place Names.)
It was in the southeast corner of the county, near Butler Co. line, and 5 miles south of Neelyville, Butler Co. (--The State of Missouri, in 1904, p. 497.)
It was located at Sections 11 & 2, Township 22 N, Range 4 E, on Highway H, north of 142.
A later name for Martinsburg (q.v.). The change was made when Daniel Varner married the widow of John F. Martin and took charge of the store and office. A descriptive name. (--Place Names.) See Oxly.
A post-office near Brinkerhoff, kept by Dewitt Stanton in his store. Named for George Owen, a lumberman who lived there. Nothing marks the site now but the small elevation. (--Dates unknown.) (--Place Names.)
A village and post-office in Varner Township, formerly known as Varner (q.v.), the railroad station and Oakdale (q.v.), the post-office. James Adams, who had come from Kentucky in 1885 put in another store and was made postmaster. He became one of the leaders in the village and furnished much timber from this section to the Oxley Stave Factory at Poplar Bluff. There was some confusion about freight because there was also a Varner, Arkansas. James Adams suggested the new name, a shortened form for F. G. Oxley of Cincinnati, Ohio, the owner of the Poplar Bluff factory. (--Place Names.)
It is located at Section 36, Township 23 N, Range 3 E, at the junction of Highways 142 & T.
An old pioneer grist mill on Little Black River, 2 miles below the mouth of Flat Creek. Isaac Pennington, a Baptist minister and land owner kept a little store in his house and set up the mill before the Civil War. (--Place Names.)
A post-office and village in southwest Pine Township. During the timber days, it had a saw mill and three stores. Through the efforts of Andrew J. Whitwell, the post-office was established and kept by a Mrs. Adams for a time in her home. He named it for the large pine timber there. (--Place Names.)
It was in the northwest corner of the county, 1 1/2 miles northeast of Bardley. (--The State of Missouri, in 1904, p. 497.)
It was located at Sections 20 & 29, Township 24 N, Range 1 W, on an unmarked county road running east from J, north of Bardley. Highway is on county line between Oregon and Ripley Counties.
A club house established about 1905, on Current River, 2 1/2 miles north of Doniphan, by J. D. Gerlach of Doniphan. A more modern building was erected by the Heck brothers, about 1914. Not much remains now. The pine timber suggested the name. (--Place Names.)
A post-office in Jordan Township. Established in 1878 and kept by W. A. Brooks, who had a rural store, until his death about 1935. A descriptive and complimentary name. (--Place Names.)
It was in the northeast part of the county, 10 miles north of Doniphan. (--The State of Missouri, in 1904, p. 497.)
In Union Township. The name is that of an old family. Early settlers nicknamed it Tick School because there were so many insects in the community. (--Place Names.)
A post-office and village in Union Township. Earlier known as Doherty (q.v.). Pleasant John Ponder, son of Amos Ponder, one of a pioneer family who came from Tennessee in 1858 became a large land owner. He sold the sites for the Doherty store and for other places of business and homes. When the post-office was established it was named for him. The village became quite a trading-place with three stores, two blacksmith shops, a saloon, a church and a cotton gin. (--Place Names.)
It was in the southwest central part of the county, 10 miles southwest of Doniphan, and 8 miles north of Burr. (--The State of Missouri, in 1904, p. 497.)
It was located at Sections 5 & 6, Township 22 N, Range 1 E, on Highway 142.
Doubtless another and later name for Murdock, which see. Pleasant John Ponder married into the Murdock family and later owned the mill. (--Place Names.)
A post-office and village in Poynor Township. The village grew up on the Poynor land. Marion C. Poynor and a brother operated a store and mill here in the early 1880's. Marion got the post-office established in his store and named it in honor of his father, Rev. David L. Poynor. (--Place Names.)
Poynor was in the southern section of the county, 6 miles north of Middle Brook, Arkansas. (--The State of Missouri, in 1904, p. 497.)
It is located at Section 25, Township 22 N, Range 1 E, and Section 30, Township 22 N, Range 2 E, at the junction of Highways 21 & FF.
A village and post-office in Poynor Township. When the post-office was established in Benjamin Fugate's store it was named for David Pratt, a farmer and influential citizen who came from Alabama about 1885. His daughter, Mary Jane Pratt was later commissioner of the schools for Ripley Co. The post-office was discontinued in 1933. The school also was named for him. (--Place Names.)
It is located at Section 26, Township 22 N, Range 2 E, on Highway A, north of the Arkansas line.
A discontinued post-office for Mullen (q.v.), a Polish settlement. Chester Kellar, a merchant, was influential in getting the office established and his wife was the first post-mistress. Named for Casimir Pulaski (1748-1779), the Polish count who served in the American Revolution. Outlawed by Russia for fighting for the liberty of Poland, he went to France where Franklin induced him to support the American Colonies. Landing in Philadelphia, in 1777, he served until he was mortally wounded in the attack on Savannah in 1779. Nearly twenty communities in fifteen different states bear his name. (--Place Names.)
It was located at Section 28, Township 23 N, Range 3 E, on the second unmarked county road running between Highways 142 & 160, east of Doniphan.
Purman was in the southeast section of the county, near the Arkansas line. It was 4 miles north from Pitman, Arkansas. (--The State of Missouri, in 1904, p. 497.)
It was a small village and post-office in Harris Township. Nothing remains of the village but two homes and the old two-story building formerly used for lodge and other community gatherings. J. Blake Bell got the post-office established in his store, and named it for an elderly resident of the community. (--Place Names.)
It was located at Sections 27 & 28, Township 22 N, Range 3 E, on Highway N, east of E.
A lowland region that heads in Butler Co., and leads between Naylor and Neelyville into Little Black River in Arkansas. Before the drainage system was established, it would, during rainy seasons, become an impassable sea. This condition caused the early settlers to give it the Bible name for the sea over which Pharaoh tried unsuccessfully to pursue the Israelites in their exodus from Egypt. (--Place Names.)
A flag station* on the Frisco R. R., merely a loading dock for that section. Formerly Hemenway (q.v.). According to one informant, Samuel Potter who lived there at the time, a Russian, suggested the name. Another thinks Samuel Potter had nothing to do with the name. Undoubtedly in some way it borrowed its name from Riga, the capital and chief sea port of Latvia, formerly a part of Russia, (sic).** (Place Names.)
* Stops on signal. ** Latvia, an independent country prior to World War II, was overrun by Russia in 1940.
Formerly Mabrey's Mill, (q.v.). William H. Righter, a lawyer of Doniphan, owned the mill for a short time. Then Harry Jones owned and operated the mill until his death in the 1880's, after which the mill was abandoned. (--Place Names.)
A post-office in 1893-94. (--Missouri Manual for those years, p. 296. (Location is unknown.)
A post-office during the late 1880's, in a country store one-half mile southeast of Ponder (q.v.). Otto and Albert Lammers, formerly of Sequin, Guadelupe County, Texas, owned land here, set up the store and got the office which they named for their old home town. The office was kept here only a short time until it was established at Ponder, (q.v.). (--Place Names.)
At Sharoon Spring on Logan Creek, at the crossing of the old Doniphan and Poplar Bluff Road. It was a fine camping ground during the freighting days. Mrs. E. Cunningham remembers the old ruins of a grist mill there when she was a child. A man of this name settled there, explained Mr. and Mrs. Lee Young. (--Place Names.)
A switch on the Doniphan R. R., established about 1910 near the old site of Borth, for loading timber. Named for James A. Sheehan, a farmer living near. (--Place Names.)
See McKinney's Mill. (--Place Names.)
A post-office in Kelley Township, established in a commissary owned by Thomas L. Wright during the timber days. Named for William Short, a farmer who owned land near by. The mail was brought by a gasoline boat from Doniphan. In 1930 the post-office was discontinued when the mail route from Bennett (q.v.) was established. (--Place Names.)
A possible location was at Section 28, Township 25 N, Range 1 E, on Current River. (--Map of Western States, 1911, Rand, McNally & Co., with the aid of General Highway Map of Ripley Co.)
An old grist mill shown on 1867 map. Later Mabrey Mill (q.v.). "Aunt" Sally Simons lived there. (--Place Names.)
A deep Bayou in Logan Creek, east of Matthew School, where Highway 14 (now 160) crosses the creek. It was the old family washing place, the community fishing grounds, and the baptizing pool for the early settlers. A very old sycamore tree was cut down when the highway was made. (--Place Names.)
A switch on the Frisco R. R., near Acorn (q.v.). In 1902 a mill was put in by the Ohio Hardwood Lumber Co. D. A. Sinsabaugh was manager and chief owner. (--Place Names.)
It was located at Section 36, Township 22 N, Range 3 E, on Highway H.
Slagle or Acorn Post-Office
See Sinsabaugh. (--Map of Western States, 1911, Rand, McNally & Co.)
A timber switch and station on the Frisco R. R., at Acorn, (q.v.). William W. Slagle, a land owner, operated a saw mill for a time before 1902, and was postmaster of Acorn for several years. (--Place Names.)
Steeles was located at Section 1, Township 23 N, Range 2 E, on Highway 21, north of 160.
Team Camp also known as Gum Pond
A logging camp of the Grandin Mills, 6 miles south of Grandin (Carter Co.), where the company kept eighty mules. Many other teams belonging to individuals were used also. Many other teams belonging to individuals were used also. (--Place Names; Mrs. Pennington.)
A bluff on Current River, in Greenwood School district. A pleasant retreat for outings. On one of these picnics early in 1900, Miss Jennie Templeton dropped her ring into the water below, thus giving rise to the name. (--Place Names.)
See Blue Hole. (--Place Names.)
T. L. Club House
Established about 1919, on the east side of Current River about 3 miles south of Doniphan. Its name was given for two of the thirteen men who were the owners, T. L. Pulliam, a merchant, and T. L. Moore, a hotel proprietor. (--Place Names.)
A R. R. station and post-office on the Frisco R. R. in Thomas Township. In 1918, N. R. Townley bought a large tract of timber land in the vicinity and put in mills for planing, making shingles and sawing. They put in a store, and the son, Richard I., was the first postmaster. Some R. R. officials suggested the name to Mr. Townley because the flames of the burning mill refuse reminded them of torches. It grew to be a village of 500, but nothing is left now but Torch School, a store and post-office. (--Place Names.)
It was located at Section 19, Township 22 N, Range 4 E, on Highway H, northeast of Glenn.
Tram Hollow in Kelly Township, leads into Big Barren Creek from the north. This hollow led to the tram railroad in Carter Co., built out from Grandin by the Missouri Land and Lumber Co. The old road was removed in 1904. (--Place Names.)
A discontinued post-office in Gatewood Township. About 1888 John Tucker put up a country store. It was known as Tucker's and later as Tuckertown when a grist mill, a blacksmith shop, another store and a cotton gin were put in. When the post-office was established the name was shortened to Tucker. (--Place Names.)
It was located at Sections 21 & 22, Township 22 N, Range 1 W, on Highway Z, south of 142.
A grist and saw mill set up before the Civil War by James Tucker. Father Hogan makes mention of the place at a ford on Current River, the mill and homestead owned by Appolinaris Tucker when he had gone, to the place in June 1852. It was not far from Mabrey Mill, which is also known as Tucker Bay. This mill was not used much after 1880. (--Place Names.)
See Tucker. (--Place Names.)
A former name for Oxly (q.v.). When the Doniphan R. R. was built in 1882, the R. R. surveyors gave the name for Daniel Varner, who had a store and the Oakdale post-office (q.v.). Mr. Varner, who was also a large land owner, gave the right-of-way for the R. R. (--Place Names.)
A pioneer grist mill on Little Black River. William H. Waddle owned the mill before the Civil War. After the war, Travis Harris, for whom Harris Township is named, rebuilt the mill and operated it a few years when it took his name.
Walnut Grove School
An old school, established in Gatewood Township in 1885. The name is descriptive of the black walnut timber growing there. Later some factions developed, and in 1898, just as the Spanish-American War (1896-1898) ended, this district divided into two new schools, Cuba and Spain. The names for Cuba and Spain were quite appropriate for the school names, as the war contention had been between Cuba and Spain.* (--Place Names.)
*N. B. According to the encyclopedia, the war was fought in 1898; about 3 months duration.
In the vicinity of Shiloh School, T.L. Wright operated a lumber mill for a short time before he established the larger mill at Kingbee. (q.v.). (--Place Names.)
Young and Wick's Mill
In 1907 Lee Young and John Wicks set up a sawmill on Logan Creek, and in 1911 operated the mill southwest of Doniphan. (--Place Names.)