Compiled by Arthur Paul Moser
Bunker Hill was situated on Sec. 29, Twp. 67 N. R. 13 W on Highway C west of N in the northeast corner of the county near Iowa border. (--Gen. Highway Map of Schuyler Co., issued by The Missouri Sate Highway Department 10-1-61. Unless otherwise noted all map locations are from this map.
Bunker Hill is no longer listed in Schuyler Co.; there is a Bunker Hill in Howard Co. (--Standard Ref. Guide of Mo., 1974, Rand McNally.)
Cherry Grove (Downing)
Cherry Grove (Downing), on the M.I. & N.R.R., ten miles east of Lancaster, named after Henry Downing, who originally owned the ground, contained three stores and one plow factory. Population about 80. (--Campbell's Gazetteer of Mo., 1874, 588.)
Clifton, six miles southeast of Lancaster, had two mills, two coopers, and two carpenter shops. (--Campbell, 588.)
It was situated on Sec. 20, Twp. 65 N, R. 14 W on an unmarked county road west of A. It was near Brush Creek.
The post-office was discontinued pre 1905. (--General Scheme of Mo., Taft, 1905, 104.)
Clifton is no longer listed in Schuyler Co.; Clifton is in Randolph Co. (--Rand, NcNally, 1974.)
Coatsville railroad names Coatesville
This town is situated on the St. Louis, Kansas City & Northern Railway, at the State line between Missouri and Iowa. It contained, according to the plat thereof, forty-three blocks of different sizes. It was laid out in February, 1869, by Alexander Wells, John B. Holbert and James T. Guinn ...
In 1878 the town contained two dry goods stores, two drug stores, one grocery, a blacksmith and wagon ship, the school house and Missionary Baptist Church. Population about 100. It was said to have been a great place in which to get married, and that James Coffman, during his term as magistrate, married more people than any other magistrate in Missouri in the same length of time ...
In 1888 there were two general stores, kept, respectively, by Thomas H. Mitchell and Simmons & Holbert; two drug stores kept, respectively by A. J. Eidson and J. L. Tadlock, and a grocery kept by W. F. James. There was also one church and the public school. (--Hist. of Schuyler Co., 1888, Goodspeed, 733, 734.)
It is four miles north of Griffin and ten miles northwest of Lancaster. (--Campbell, 588.)
It is situated on Sec. 30, R. 15 W and Sec. 25, R. 16 W in Twp. 67 N, at the junction of Highway B and Iowa 42.
Population 55. (--Rand McNally, 1974.)
Downing elevation 875 feet
This town is situated on the Keokuk & Western Railroad, three-fourths of a mile west of the east line of Schuyler County. It was laid out for the Missouri Town Company by H. H. Downing, President thereof, in September, 1872. The original plat of the town contained thirty-five blocks mostly of twelve lots each ... The first merchants of Downing were Collins & Clipper, Le Grand & Gamble, D. L. Ringer, W. F. Petty and Stephen Gnash. In January, 1874, a fire got too close to a keg of powder in Dr. Petty's drug store, and it exploded, and burst the building wide open, and set it on fire. It was consumed, and the loss was about $1,000. It was claimed that more tobacco was shipped from Downing than any single station in a large territory surrounding it. The town contained two church buildings, one by the Christian denomination and the other by the Methodist Episcopal Church South. There were also two school houses, both on the same lot, for the use of public schools. (--Goodspeed, 730, 731.)
See Cherry Grove. (--Campbell, 588.)
Downing was founded by Henry Downing, after whom it was named. For some years, it was known as Cherry Grove. The city had a good graded school, two churches, a bank, a flouring mill, a newspaper, the "News," handle factory and about twenty other business shops. Population 1899 (estimated) 700. (--Ency. of the Hist. of Mo., 1901, Conard, Vol. 2, 310.)
It is situated on Sec. 32, 33, Twp. 66 N, R. 13 W near Scotland County line, at the junction of 136 & A.
Germania was southeast of Downing. (--Map of Mo., 1910, The Kenyon Co., Des Moines.)
It was on R. F. D. from Queen City, on south Fork of Mid Fabius. (--The State of Mo., in 1904, Williams, p. 511.)
Glenwood is situated on the north branch of the St. Louis, Kansas City & North Nebraska Railroad, about five miles south of the Iowa State Line, and two miles west of Lancaster, and was laid out in November, 1868, by Stiles E. and Alexander Forsha. The original plat of the town contained a public square and forty-four other blocks ...
The first dwelling house in Glenwood was built by John B. Glaze, in October, 1868. S. E. Forsha erected a storehouse in October and November of the same year, also a number of dwelling houses and a school house the next following winter. The town was incorporated in the spring of 1869, but after a few years the corporation was abolished ... In 1873 the business men and merchants were John Scovery, Stanley & Forsha, J. N. Shelton, Forsha & Irving ... and others. (--Goodspeed, 726.)
It had two churches, a graded school, bank two hotels, foundry and machine shop, a woolen mill, flouring mill, wagon factory, a newspaper, the "Phonograph," and about twenty other business places including lumberyards and coal yards, general stores, and other stores in various lines of trade. Population 1899, (estimated) 500. (--Conard, Vol. 2, 64; see, also Campbell, 588.)
It is situated on Sec. 15, 16, Twp. 66 N, R. 15 W at the junction of AA, B & M, west of Lancaster.
Greentop elevation 980 feet
This village is situated on the Omaha, St. Louis, Kansas City & Northern Railway, at the south line of the county. It was surveyed and laid out in April, 1857, by Stephen Caywood, for George W. Gatlin, the proprietor. According to the plat then made, it contained a public square and eighteen other blocks, containing 168 lots in all ... It had considerable trade in railroad ties and hoop poles from the Chariton timber and was conveniently accessible to coal on the west ... It was incorporated in February, 1867, under the name and style of the "Town of Greentop." In 1888 Greentop had two general stores, kept, respectively, by W. G. Reynolds and Tice & Parker, two drug stores, kept, respectively, by W. A. McKechem and William Van Note; a grocery and the post-office by N. Speer, a furniture and undertaking establishment, by Jacob Whitmore, and a hardware and grocery store by Gatlin Winfree. (--Goodspeed, 733.)
Greentop, sixteen miles south of Griffin, founded in 1855, and incorporated in 1860, had a population of 200, and contained one school house, eight stores, one hotel, a furniture store and on wagon shop. (--Campbell, 589.)
The village of Green Top was incorporated in 1867, and the first board of trustees elected, viz: W. H. Gallin, president; G. P. Glaze, secretary; Jacob Whitmer and George Lanes. (--Hist. of Adair Co., 1888, Goodspeed, 374.)
It had two churches, a public school, flour mill, seven general stores, a drug store, etc. (--Conard, Vol. 3, 117.)
It is situated on Sec. 15, Twp. 64 N, R. 15 W on Adair Co. line at the junction of 63 & K.
Griffin, at the junction of the St. L., K. C. & N. R. W., with the M. I & N. R. R., 230 miles from St. Louis and five miles west of Lancaster, was named in honor of A. L. Griffin, assistant General Superintendent of the M. I. & N. R. R. It had one store and one school house. (--Campbell, 589.)
Now shown as Glenwood Junction, at the edge of Glenwood (q.v.)
It has no population. (--Rand, McNally, 1974.)
Gumm was located in the northeast corner of the county on Iowa border, on Wabash Railroad. (--Map of Mo., 1894, Rand McNally.)
Inkerman was situated on Sec. 14, Twp. 65 N, R. 15 W in Prairie Township. (--New Atlas of Mo., Map 14.)
This area is south of U and east of 63.
Jimtown was located near the west edge of the county, on R. F. D. from Julesburg. (--Williams, 511.)
Julesburg was located on the Wabash R. R., the first station south of Glenwood. (--Map of Mo., 1910, Kenyon Co.)
It was two miles from Glenwood. (--Taft, 104.)
Lancaster elevation 980 feet
The origin of the town of Lancaster, the county seat of Schuyler County, has been given on another page under the head of "County Seats." The first house in Lancaster was a log cabin built in the southern part thereof by James C. Cochrane, and it was in this house where the county court met in July, 1845 and held its first session in the established county seat. The first storehouse was built by Manuel Richardson and Samuel Ow, in the spring of 1846, for a man by the name of Kent. The roof, counter and shelves were all made of clapboards ...
From 1857 to 1861 there was more business done in Lancaster than in any of the neighboring towns, Memphis, Kirksville or Bloomfield, but in 1861 and 1862 it was almost entirely depopulated of its male inhabitants, as nearly all of them went into the Rebel Army, or moved to other parts ... At the close of the (Civil) War it began to recover, and in 1866 the business was conducted by the following parties: General stores by J. W. Fenton, J. N. Shelton, Giddard & Figge ... Baker & Nelson (post-office store), drug stores -- Lambert & Baker and T. B. Jones; boots and shoes -- J. N. Shelton. (--Goodspeed, 717, 19.)
Lancaster was incorporated by a special act of the Legislature in 1857. (--Ibid: 589.)
It was distinguished as being the leading horse market of the United States out side of a few of the larger cities ... and the largest horse sale stables in Missouri (--Conard, Vol. 3, 582; see, also, Campbell, 589.)
It is situated on Sec. 13, 14, 23, 24, R. 15 W and Sec. 18, 19, R. 14 W Twp. 66 N, at the junction of 63, 136, AA, U & D.
Pedee was located on the Wabash Railroad, first station north of Griffin. (--New Atlas of Mo., Map 14.)
Possibly it was situated on Sec. 8,16, Twp. 66 R. R. 15 W.
Pronax was located in the southeast corner of the county, southeast of Clifton. (--Map of Mo., 1910.)
The post-office was discontinued pre 1905. (--Taft, 104.)
Queen City is situated on the St. Louis, Kansas City & Northern Railway, in Prairie Township, and about eight miles south of Glenwood and four miles north of Greentop. It was laid out in May, 1867, by Dr. George Wilson, and, according to the plat thereof, it contains a public square and fifteen other blocks, containing 178 lots in all.
The first house in the town was built by Dr. Wilson, and the first hotel by Harry Bartlett. The merchants of the town in 1873 were George Bamberger, W. B. Hays, Jacoby & Co., Herman Herboth and C. W. Hight ... (--Goodspeed, 731, 732.)
It contained about 200 inhabitants, nine stores, one church, M. E., one school-house, one mill and one hotel ... (--Campbell, 589.)
Queen City was laid out by Dr. George W. Wilson, in 1867, as "Queen of the Prairie." (--Ibid.)
It had four churches, a good graded public school, a bank, two hotels, flouring mill, creamery and about twenty-five business places, including stores in the different lines of trade and small shops, two newspapers, the "Leader" and the "Transcript." Population 1899 (estimated) 900. (--Conard, Vol. 5, 269.)
It is situated on Sec. 27, Twp. 65 N, R. 15 W at the junction of 73 & W north of Greentop.
This town was established a number of years before Schuyler County was organized, and was the first town in the territory of which the county is now composed. It was located about two and a half miles southeast of Lancaster. In 1840 John M. Fisk and Edwin French opened a store at Tippecanoe with a small stock of goods, but sufficient to supply the settlers in the surrounding territory ...
The same year that Fisk and French began business John Jones erected a wool carding machine near Tippecanoe, to which was added a run of buhrs for grinding corn. Soon after the above firm began business at Tippecanoe other industries were established such as blacksmithing and wagon making by Samuel Tipton and William Schofield; milling by Lesley & Wardrip; cabinet work by Charles M. London, who at one time employed twelve men and boys.
The most renowned and extensive manufactory in Tippecanoe was the "Wheat Fanning Mill Establishment" of Dixon & Ralls, who employed probably twenty-five men and boys in the manufacture of these fanning mills and "cupboard safes." ...There were also two
corner groceries at Tippecanoe, and two attorneys, Stephen C. Thompson and Richard Caywood. The town prospered for a number of years, and was at one time a rival of Lancaster for the seat of justice; from 1846 to 1854 it did a heavy business, and then it began to go down, and has for some time become so completely overshadowed that it has no existence now -- 1888 -- except in name and memory. (--Goodspeed, 716, 717.)
Toennia was a post-office six and one-half miles east of Queen City. (--Campbell, 589.)
Vinita was located northeast of Lancaster. (--Map of Mo., 1910, Kenyon Co.)
The post-office was discontinued pre 1905. (--Taft, 104.)
Vinita is no longer listed in Schuyler Co.; Vinita is listed as Vinita Park and Vinita Terrace, in St. Louis Co. (--Rand McNally, 1974.)
Zola was located in the northwest corner of the county near Iowa State Line. (--Williams, 511.)
The post-office was discontinued pre 1905. (--Taft, 104.)
Springfield-Greene County Library