A Directory of Towns, Villages, and Hamlets
Past and Present
of Taney County,
Compiled by Arthur Paul Moser
Bibliography and Acknowledgements
In compiling this Directory of Towns, Villages and Hamlets of Taney County,
Past and Present, an attempt has been made to include every town in the county.
The following acknowledgements are made:
- Miss Roblee and her staff in the Research Department of the Public Libraries
of Springfield and Greene County, who graciously made certain reference books
and material available for examination.
- Mrs. Edith McCall, Hollister, Mo., who kindly permitted quotation from
her book, English Village in the Ozarks, the Story of Hollister, Missouri.
- New Atlas of Missouri, Campbell.
- A Gazetteer of Missouri, Campbell, 1874.
- A Reminiscent History of the Ozark Region, Goodspeed Bros., Chicago, 1894.
- The State of Missouri, in 1904, Walter Williams.
- How Missouri Counties, Towns, Streams were Named, by David W. Eaton, (from
several issues of The Missouri Historical Review).
- The University of Missouri Bulletin, Our Storehouse of Missouri Place
Robert L. Ramsay, Missouri Handbook, Number Two. Referred to as University
of Missouri Bulletin of Missouri Place Names, and Our Storehouse
of Missouri Place Names.
- General Scheme of Missouri, Dec. 1905, as used by R. M. S. (Railway Mail
Service) hereafter referred to as General Scheme.
- Various maps as indicated.
- Several issues of Missouri Manual.
- Several issues of The White River Valley Historical Society Quarterly.
- Other reference books referred to by name in the Directory.
Note: This directory may be copied by anyone. Credit should be given to the
Special recognition is given to Mr. Elmo Ingenthron, Historian of The White
River Valley Historical Society, without whose help several bits of information
would have been unknown. They are recognized in proper sequence.
Although Mr. Ingenthron was very busy in writing several books soon to be
published, still he found time "to do his bit" in making this Directory more
Table of Contents
Local History Home