Volume 1, Number 1 Fall1961
Newly formed as is the White River Valley Historical Society, there will soon be evidence of its activity in the form of a lasting historical marker to be dedicated at the fall meeting at Rock Bridge. The purchase of the marker, which commemorates events of historical significance in the Rock Bridge area, and its dedication is being made possible by the loyal support of Dr. M. C. Amyx and other interested persons in Ozark County, Missouri.
The Rock Bridge story warrents far more space than is available in this issue of the quarterly. Its history dates back to the early settlements along Bryant and Spring Creek. It was chosen as the seat of government of a new county established in 1841 by the state legislature, embracing much of the area of present day Ozark, Douglas and Howell Counties.
Rock Bridge and its citizens played an important role in the economic growth and development of Ozark County and adjacent areas. Its first post office was established July 16th, 1842. It was discontinued for a time during the Civil War period when the town was burned. The Amyx family has done much to preserve and restore this historic site. Rock Bridge is today a major tourist attraction and will be more so when its historical values are publicized. It is hoped that a large number of the society's members can be present for the quarterly meeting and the dedication, to be held Sunday afternoon at 2:00 p.m., October 29, 1961.
Copyright Ó White River Valley Historical Quarterly