Volume 1, Number 7
Mr. and Mrs. Jacob Mueller on their Golden Wedding Anniversary.Mr. Mueller died in October 1942 and Mrs. Mueller in August 1949.
Mr. Jacob Mueller was born in Switzerland, and in the same village where he
lived was a girl who was destined to become his wife, Marie. Mr. Mueller came
to America with his parents when he was 14 years of age. Marie came later when
she was about 20 years old. They were married in Kansas City, Kansas, February
26, 1891, and operated a grocery store there at 7th and Quindaro from 1903
until 1918 when the Muellers moved to Rockaway Beach where he was Postmaster
for 18 years - until 1938. Their sons were Fred and Ernie. The Muellers lived
near the Merriams in Kansas City and Mr. Willard Merriam persuaded the Muellers
to come to Rockaway Beach to live.
Next door to the Muellers in Kansas City lived the Schneikart family. When Father Schneikart passed away the Muellers brought 14-year old Margaret Schneikart with them to Rockaway Beach to live. They later brought George and Louise Schneikart to live with them - brother and sister of Margaret. In 1918 Margaret was the only pupil from Rockaway Beach who attended the old Flint Hill Schoolhouse.
Mr. Mueller died in October of 1942, and Mrs. Mueller died in August of 1949.
In 1927, the year of the big flood at Rockaway, Ernie (shown below) and Fred Mueller came down to Rockaway Beach and started in the transfer and livery business which was the first such operations in this area, and rather "tricky" too with the roads in the condition they were at that time. They also operated limousines and sight-seeing busses to the various caves and through the Shepherd of the Hills country.
The Muellers lived in a cottage named "Clearview" but known as The Big 8 which is still standing and located near George's Store, until they were able to build something more suitable to house the postoffice, grocery store and their home.
Anna, wife of Fred, was assistant postmaster to Mr. Mueller as long as he held the office. Anna (Meininger) Mueller passed away in June of 1949.
Copyright Ó White River Valley Historical Quarterly