Volume 4 , Number 7, Spring 1972
Jan. 31, 1874 by resolution voted to change the time of regular communication (meeting) from Saturday night on or before the full moon of each month to Saturday night on or after the full moon of each month.
1947 voted to change communications (meetings) from Saturday night to the 2nd and 4th Wednesday night of each month.... with no mention of the moon.
Nov. 8, 1876 the Lodge helped both Taney County and itself by buying Taney County coupon bonds, 20 year bonds paying 10 percent purchase at 85 cents on the dollar. August 27, 1877 purchased school bonds from a lodge member giving him in exchange "green backs" at 6 percent discount.
Perhaps no plagues bothered Forsyth but illness sometimes plagued the Forsyth Masonic Lodge. The first minutes of October 1878 say: "The September Meeting was unfortunately not holden, it being the time of the sickly season and on account of such misfortune among the brothers and their families".
Perhaps malaria was of plague proportions in the river bottoms of Taney County.
Dec. 10, 1881, J. C. Parrish received 25 cents for black calico used as a sign of mourning in draping a picture of President James A. Garfield.
Nov. 2, 1898, finished paying for a Stereopticon viewer and cards. (These yet to be found in the Lodge Hall).
Feb. 12, 1898, the lodge donated $15.00 toward erection of a new well and pump at the public well in Forsyth.
Before 1900 we find no mention as to how the members of the Lodge traveled to and from meetings, to visit the ill, or to bury the dead. In 1908 we note $3.00 allowed for hire of a "livery rig" to attend a funeral. In 1923 the hire was for a "jitney". Still later the conveyance was listed as a "taxi".
The Forsyth Masons insisted that a product they purchased be a good object. Nov. 2, 1901 they ordered a bell purchased, "the same to be good".
On August 15, 1908 came a bill for 35 cents for fans, the little hand propelled bits of cardboard. August 16, 1924 the Lodge paid $37.30 for an electric fan; August 9, 1967 came a bill for $816.00 for an air conditioner.
July 3, 1909 the Lodge thanked two daughters of Masons, Virginia Boswell and Bessie Parrish for cleaning the lamps. And bought coal oil for 22 cents a gallon. Oct. 11, 1919, it purchased four electric lamps and paid an electric bill for one month of $1.25.
August 12, 1920 a resolution passed saying "all members on the honor roll pay no dues after age 75 years". Today, after fifty years a Mason, a member pays no dues.
The Lodge celebrated the Bicentennial of George Washington, a Mason, and its own 80th Anniversary, the same year, 1952.
Sept. 23, 1952 the eight members present, including four regular officers discussed, "How to Raise Attendance".
Oct. 12, 1955 voted to put Records in a fire-proof vault.
Times grew a bit turbulent when the Ladies of the Haworth Chapter No. 32 of the Eastern Star took over the task of keeping clean the Lodge Hall. They at once found the task of cleaning the one dozen spitoons a distasteful job. They asked the Masonic brethern to refrain from chewing tobacco during the meeting and to eliminate the spitoons. One member, an officer of the law, declared that if they took away his spitoon he would expectorate on the floor. . . .told by Glen Moore.. .hear say to him.
Hard times came to the Lodge as well as to the area. At one time in 1938 the treasury was bare. But soon through dues and fees finances no longer appeared a problem. Yet the Lodge kept up even in hard times, payments to the Masonic Home in St. Louis with a special donation at Christmas time; to the infirmary and for special visitations to the Veterans Hospital in St. Louis; and gave to lodges in distress be they in Missouri or in another state.
And the Lodge continued to vote for refreshments. Often a secretary wrote, "enjoy real refreshments."
Once the lodge allowed a bill for: 5 cans of salmon, $1.32; 18 cans of oysters, $2.70; crackers, $1.00; 5 boxes sardines, $1.00; pepper sauce, 10 cents; 1 lb. cheese 20 cents.
June 24, 1884 they bought 12 dinners for $2.50.
When the lodge was moved to New Forsyth the corner stone was taken from the building, reengraved and reset.
In the minute of the Lodge no mention is made of what the copper box behind the corner stone of the new building in Forsyth contains, but I have been told that from the original box came in a few coins, and some kernels of corn. Added to these was placed a 25 cent piece, dated 1967, a Directory of the Lodge for 1967 and a copy of the Taney County Republican.
By C. P. Ackerman, Sec.
Copyright Ó White River Valley Historical Quarterly
Next Article | Table of Contents | Other Issues
Local History Home