Volume 9 , Number 9 , Fall 1987
This photo was sent by Ina Mae Johnson who found it among her grandfather's papers. The thouroughfare is now V Highway or City Route, Highway 65. In the foreground is the old Van Zandt-Jackson General Store, moved to the site from Kirbyville, circa 1909. Ownership of the business passed to L.M. Tryer during hollister's "Golden Age," catering to a large clientele. Both floors were filled with the latest and best merchandise available.
In the background to the left is what appears to be the Presbyterian Church and to the right is Ye English In.. The absence of other buildings place the date about 1912-1915.
The building has had many owners and caried businesses over the years and suffered a tragic fire in the 1960's which destroyed the upper story. However, a new roof was put on and the structure returned to service athrough the second floor is no longer in use.
Othel Summers is the present owner and the building is occupied by Wm. & Barbara large as "lare's Mobile Home Service." If anyone has futher informaiton regarding this, please contact the editor.
Copyright Ó White River Valley Historical Quarterly
Next Article | Table of Contents | Other Issues
Local History Home