Volume 1, Number 4
Our thanks go to RUTH RYSER, Klamath Falls, Oregon, who has donated the money necessary to purchase the white portion of the 1860 Census of Taney County.
The Santa Paula (California) Daily Chronicle, 13 July 1962, carried a two-column article headed, Missouri Quarterly Tells Branson Family History." Most of the article quotes directly from the recollections of Sustaining Member JOSEPH M. BRANSON, Kansas City (WRV Historical Quarterly, Winter 1961-62.)
On August 16, the officers and board of directors of the Society met at the School of the Ozarks to make plans for the coming year's operation.
Although the officials and board of directors are well-known to most members, we take the liberty of introducing them to the few who may not know them:
CLAUDE HIBBARD, retired from the Missouri State Dept of Education where he was for many years Area Supervisor, is prominent in civic affairs in Ava, Missouri, and is a student of local history and government. DOROTHY STANDLEE, a teacher in the Branson Public Schools and a native of South Dakota, is married to Luke Standlee, whose family was among the pioneers of Carroll County, Arkansas. MARY SCOTT HAIR, who comes from pioneer families of Stone County, Missouri, is the author of many articles on folklore and history published in local newspapers. An award winner of the School of Journalism of the University of Missouri, her writing includes a feature column in local papers by "Samanthy." ELMO INGENTHRON, an educator for many years in this area, was a Task Force Gunnery Officer with the 14th Task Force in the Pacific and served on the staff of Admiral Braisted during W W II. For several years, he has been Taney County Superintendent of Schools. Dr. R. M. GOOD, educator and churchman, came to the School of the Ozarks from Mississippi more than 40 years ago. He served as the School's President from 1921 to 1952, when he retired as President Emeritus while continuing to work hard in the interest of the School.
GENE GEER, retired newspaper man living at Ozark, Missouri, is a student of local history and a most capable writer on many subjects. The Hon. ROBERT L. GIDEON, Circuit Judge for many years, comes from a family closely connected with the history of Greene, Christian and Taney counties. Now retired, he lives on his farm south of Forsyth. ARCH MAYDEN, from an early pioneer family, was a business man at Kissee Mills before moving to Branson, where he has engaged in banking and business for many years. Director COY LOGAN, whose family settled in Carroll County, Arkansas, prior to the Civil War, is County School Supervisor of Carroll County, and editor of the Carroll County Historical Quarterly. In his research on local history, he has made tape recordings of the reminiscences of old-timers, and has been of great help to the White River Valley Historical Society in collecting facts on a number of subjects. Director RUBY ROBINS and her husband, Fred, publish the Ozark County Times at Gainesville. Regarded as one of the best authorities on Missouri History, she has done the research and designed the inscriptions on about 130 markers for the State Historical Society of Missouri. R. C. JOHNSON, Director for Taney County, is a descendant of the Thurman and Haworth families He was an engineer on many government projects, including some in Alaska. Now retired, he lives at Powersite, Missouri.
Copyright Ó White River Valley Historical Quarterly