Volume 3, Number 5
Frederick Page Branson died in a hospital in Tulsa, Okla., Oct. 5, 1960. Interment was in the Branson mausoleum at Myrtle Hill Cemetery, Rome, Georgia.
Judge Branson came of sturdy Revolutionary stock. He said his ancestors owned the land at Gulliford Court House in North Carolina where the battle of the Revolutionary War was fought March 15, 1781 between General Green's Continental troops and the British forces under Cornwallis.
Branson's mother was Rhoda Page. She was reared at a small place called Pine Log, Georgia, a few miles north of Cartersville, Ga. She first married Harrison Mull and moved west, settling at Dardanelle, Arkansas. Upon the death of her husband, Roda Page Mull and her son, Joseph Mull, returned to Georgia, settling at Cass Station, Ga. There she met and married Levi Branson, a widower. To this marriage there were born three sons and one daughter: Thomas Branson, Frederich Page Branson, Jessie Branson Adams, and Homer Branson. All of these preceded Judge Branson in death. Levi Branson is buried at Costalana Methodist Church Cemetery, about nine miles north of Rome, Ga.
Frederick Page Branson was born at Rockmart, Georgia, March 1, 1881, on a farm. He attended Emory University. He left Georgia soon after the turn of the century and landed in McAlester, Indian Territory. He went to Muskogee to practice law. He was a member of the first Legislature of the State of Oklahoma. He went up through Judgeships until he became Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of Oklahoma.
Copyright Ó White River Valley Historical Quarterly