Volume 8, Number 5 - Fall 1983
The turmoil and destruction of the Civil War are reflected in these records. Although this county was organized in 1859, marriage records remaining today begin after the War, with an occasional earlier marriage being reported here. Because of irregular paging in the first marriage record book, no reference is made here to pages. Numbers show the order in which these records appear in the above book.
1. Jacob ROBERTS - Dolly BURKHART, "in the faul (sic) of sixty" by Daniel ADAMS, Justice of the Peace. Recorded 12 Dec 1866.
2. Ad EATON - Fidelia SLAY, 20 Oct 1876, by J.L. WOOD, Minister of the Gospel.
3. Jordain MANLEY - Tempy McDANIEL (colored) 31 Jan 1876, by George R. GRUBAUGH, Minister of the Gospel. (Loose paper marked "Discovered in files Jan. 11, 1916 and placed here on that date." Louis WALKER.)
4. Robert H. BRAZEAL - Elizabeth YANCEY, 11 Mar 1866, by Josiah DAVIDSON, M. G.
5. James HOLMES - Mary M. BREEDLOVE, 29 Apr 1866, by N.C. CHAFFIN, M.G. Witnesses: Samuel WIGGINS and Caleb BREEDLOVE.
6. George W. SWEET - Anny C. RAGAN, 2 Apr 1866, by Wm. W. SHAVER, M.G.
7. James L. PARKINS - Margaret L. KELTNER, 30 Dec 1860, by M. STEPHENSON, J.P. (filed 1866)
8. James W. GILMORE - Sarah M. LAMB, 25 Jan 1861, by M. STEPHENSON, J.P. (filed 1866)
9. David W. PREWITT - Oleva A. STEVENS, 25 July 1861, by M. STEPHENSON, J.P. (filed 1866)
10. Charles MORRIS - Martha J. DOTSON, 30 July 1866, by G.R. GRUBAUGH, M.G.
11. John STOFFLER - Lucinday FAIRE, 21 Jan 1866 by Jas. W. FAUGHT, J. P.
12. William Ashley THOMISON (sic) - Fairey THOMISON, 7 Feb 1866, by Jas W. FAUGHT, Justice of the Peace.
13. James M. WHITE - Virginia KELTNER, 12 Feb 1866, by Jas. W. FAUGHT, J.P.
14. Edward KELTNER - Mary STEPHENSON, 12 Feb. 1866, by Jas. W. FAUGHT, J.P.
15. Augustus W. WARD of Greene Co. - Eliza L. EDWARDS, at the residence of Carrol EDWARDS in Christian Co., 25 Aug 1873, by J .W . LANGSTON, M. G. Witnesses: Wm. WARD and James ONEAL.
16. John W. RAY of Greene Co. - Emma B. DRYDEN of Christian Co., at the residence of D.A. DRYDEN, 17 Sept. 1874, by J.W. LANGSTON, M.G. Witnesses, James DRYDEN and Robert MACK.
17. Robert L. OWEN (ONEAL ?) of Greene Co. - Susan L. DOREN at the residence of Alexander DORAN, 8 Nov. 1874, by J.W. LANGSTON, M.G. Witnesses: H .G . DOREN and Samuel SMITH.
18. Geo. A. PATTERSON of Greene Co. - Sarah J.E. FIELDEN, at the residence of Allen FIELDEN, 17 May 1874, by J.W. LANGSTON, M.G. Wit: John PATTERSON.
19. A.W. HOWARD - S.E. WILLIAMS, 6 Apr 1865 ("This is a suply (sic) of the original record burn up in the court (house) Aug 20, 1865, J.P. ROBERTS, M.G.)
20. David TEAGUE - Mrs. Susan RICKETTS, both of Christian County, 11 Jan 1866, by Wm. STEELE, Minister of the Gospel.
21. Mr. (sic) LITTROL - Clerissey HAYHURST, 8 Jan 1866, G.R. GRUBAUGH, M.G.
22. Wiley HEDGPETH - Ruth A. HORN, 20 Sept 1865, by J.P. ROBERTS, M.G.
23. Thomas G. OSBURN - Mary A. STUBBS, 2 Nov 1865, by John REDFEARN, J.P.
24. Thomas B. MANLEY - Sarah J. SANDERS, 3 Jan 1866, G.F. HOWARD, J.P.
25. John ABBOTT - Ally WOODY, 12 Dec 1865, by Wm. HILTON, M.G.
26. Elisha STILLIAMS - Jane MOONEY, 24 Sept 1865, by James GRAY, M.G.
27. Josiah McGuire - America C. MORRISETT, 7 Oct 1865, by Josiah DAVIDSON, M.G.
28. Nathan WRIGHT of Douglas County - Roda BARNES of Christian County, 4 Sept 1866, by James GRAY, M.G.
29. Geo. F. HOWARD - Mrs. Roda OWEN, 11 Sept 1865, by Wm. SANDERS, "Justice of Christian County".
30. Benjamin F. RHODES - Rebecca FRAZIER, 18 Sept 1865, by Wm. SANDERS, "County Court Justice".
31. Frances M. KESSINGER - Mary A. MOSES, 24 Aug 1865, by Ephaim (sic) WRAY, M.G.
32. David WALKER - Mary J. SHIPMAN, 17 Sept 1865, by R.H. WILLIAMS, J.P.
33. Malichi BURTON - Cornelia Jane ADAMS, on 30 Aug "according to custom of the United Baptist Church" by Isaac STANDLEE, M.G. (recorded 1 Dec 1865)
34. James HEAD - Sarah ABBOT, 13 Dec 1865, "right of matrimony in presents of legal witnesses." Wm. HILTON, M.G.
35. Thomas W. HANDAY - Elizabeth C. KELTNER, 29 Aug 1865, by James H. KERR, M.G.
36. George M. HENRY - Martha E. BURROUGHS, 24 Aug 1865, by James H. KERR, M.G.
37. Daniel M. YOUNG - Nancy J. SHELTON, 5 Aug 1865, by G.F. HOWARD, J.P.
38. James E. GLOOSIN - Elizabeth E . HART, 25 Sept 1865, by G.F. HOWARD, J.P.
39. John H. FUGETT - Mary C. GREENE, 24 Aug 1865, by G.F. HOWARD, J.P.
40. Charles G. WALKER - Mary JOHNSON, 1 Oct 1865, by John REDFEARN, J .P.
41. Joseph F. MERRITT - Margarett A. McCROSKEY, 26 Nov 1865, by George M.R. GRUBAUGH, M .G.
42. William HAYHURST - Mary A. WILSON, 12 Nov 1865, by R.H. WILLIAMS, J .P.
43. Hosea BILYEU - Charlottee H. CISSLEE, Mon. Dec. 4, 1865, by Jacob BILYEU, J .P.
44. John W. GILMORE - Louiza LAMB, 10 Dec 1865, by Wm. SANDERS, county justice.
45. Barney WELLS - Mary J. DAVIS, 23 Nov 1865, by G.F. HOWARD, J.P.
46. Alfred HAMMOND - Caroline SKAGGS "witness my hand this 2nd Day of Nov 1865" by E.H. CORNOG, Co. Ct. Justice
47. James M. HUTCHISON - Harriet E. GARDNER, 15 Oct 1865, by John REDFEARN, J.P.
48. Isaiah STUART - Nancy M. GIDEON, 18 May 1865, by I.M. HANDY, J.P.
49. Wilson TENNIS - Mary C. DRAPER, 24 Sept 1864, by I.M. HANDY, J.P.
50. Syrus K. WALKER - Kissiah WILLHITE, 7 June 1863, by I.W. HANDY, J.P.
51. John TURNER - Martha A. SMART, 4 June 1865, by Thomas MAPLES, J.P.
52. Thomas MAPLES - Martha A. STEWARD, 10 Aug 1865, by Thomas MAPLES, J.P.
53. Noah MAPLES - Mary MAPLES, 6 Mar 1865, by Thomas MAPLES, J.P.
54. John T. MANLY - Nancy J. CARR, 3 Nov 1864, by G.F. HOWARD, J.P.
55. Francis N. SMART - Amanda E. GOLD, 19 Feb 1865, by G.F. HOWARD, J.P.
56. Almus HARRINGTON - Winey M MERRITT, 28 Feb 1865, by G.F. HOWARD, J.P.
57. Wilson MERRITT - Mary COLLIER, 26 Mar 1865, by G.F. HOWARD, J.P.
58. Robert C. HART - Mary A. BURRIS, 6 July 1865, by G.F. HOWARD, J.P.
59. William M. NEASE - Ireena (?) C. MOORE, 12 July 1865, by G.F. HOWARD, J.P.
60. David N. YOUNG - Nancy J. SHELTON, 3 Aug 1865, (No "recorded and filed" date. Entry is marked "Error")
61. Lewis E. GRIMETT - Rebecca E. LOCKHART, 30 Nov 1863, by G.F. HOWARD, J.P.
62. Dan MESSENGER - Eliza J. CHILDEES, 23 Dec 1863, by G.F. HOWARD, J.P.
63. Jacob W. LAYMAN - Nancy C. GREENAWAY, 10 Mar 1864, by G.F. HOWARD, J.P.
64. Isaac LOCKHART - Lewsenia E. SANDERS, 14 Aug 1864, by G.F. HOWARD, J.P.
65. Elcana HOLDER - Martha E. HART, 15 Sept 1865, by G.F. HOWARD, J.P.
66. Z. R. CHAMBERS - Caroline J. SLOAN, 22 Jan 1860, by G.F. HOWARD, J.P. (Recorded 27 Dec. 1865)
67. James L. INMAN - Mary N. WILSON, 26 Jan 1860, by G.F. HOWARD, J.P. (Recorded 27 Dec 1865)
68. William JONES - Nancy A.F. INMAN, 22 July 1860, by G.F. HOWARD, J.P. (Recorded 1865)
69. William BARNES - Mary M. McCROSKEY, 21 May 1860 (1863 ?) by G.F. HOWARD, J.P. (Recorded 27 Dec 1865)
70. Joseph N. CUSHOY - Susannah SANDERS, 5 Feb 1863, by G.F. HOWARD, J. P.
71. John A. WILLIAMS - Rebecca ALEXANDER, 4 June 1865, by E. H. CORNOG, Justice of the County Court.
The above records cover all marriages recorded through page 44. The very incomplete index refers to nine affidavits concerned with other marriage records. Those affidavits follow here:
Sarah HORNEECK - Ira L. MAPES, 22 June, 1862, in Cedar County, Missouri. Affidavit made 11 Feb 1897, by Joe W. MAPES at Centerville, Linn County, Kansas, ceremony by John KENNEDY, J.P. (page 437)
Mary E. SIXTON (SEXSON ?) of Polk County, Missouri makes affidavit confirming above statement by MAPES. 13 Feb 1897. (page 437)
Eliza E. MAYDON swears she was present at marriage of John E. KING and Martha NOE on 30 Oct 1859. (page 438) Statement made 26 May 1899.
Violet M. SNYDER affirms that she was present at marriage of John E. KING and Martha NOE, as in above statement by Eliza MAYDEN. SNYDER makes statement on 27 June 1899. (page 438)
Joseph H. JOHNSON and Elizabeth JOHNSON of Christian County state that they were present on 8 Nov 1863, at the residence of James HORNBEAKS, a J.P., when Nathan SHIPMAN married Sarah Jane HART...and their ages are 72 and 52 (evidently refering to the JOHNSONS) Witnesses, 23 Feb 1898. S.D. PHILLIPS, Sarah PARKER. (p. 439)
L. D. WILLHITE - Mary J. GIDEON, 21 Feb 1870, "at my residence in Galloway Twp. Wm. F. BROWN, J.P. (page 440)
Susan EDWARDS, of lawful age, declares that she was present "in the year 1871" at the wedding of David J. GINGER and Ann GINGER (sic) who was formerly Ann BLEDSOE...ceremony by J.W. EDWARDS, M.G. Statement made 12 Mar 1906. (p. 441)
Geo ADAMSON, aged 74, living near Sparta, and Nancy J. ADAMSON, aged 75, affirm that they are well acquainted with Jacob BURKHART and his wife Rebecca BURKHART, now living on Swan Creek near Chadwick..."we were present at residence of Wm. HARVILL in Taney County, Missouri, when Rebecca M. HARVILL and Jacob BURKHART were married...ceremony by Silas NICHOLAS, J.P. in the afternoon of April 8, 1858. We can distinctly remember the date on account of the big dance we had that night. We have no interest in the prosecution of this case". Statement filed 26 Dec 1910. (page 442)
Toliver ROBERTS and Martha ROBERTS affirm facts in ADAMSON statement above. Chas. FARRAR and Christine FARRAR, both of Chadwick, witness "ROBERTS" statement on 6 Apr 1910. (page 443)
Copyright © White River Valley Historical Quarterly