All Library branches will be closed on Saturday, July 4, in observance of Independence Day.
HISTORICAL POSTCARDS OF SPRINGFIELD,
Park (view 3 of 7), Chutes Ride
postcard is the scene from the top of one of the amusement park
rides at Doling Park. It was called "Shoot-the-Chutes," and it was
one of many rides at Doling Park during its heyday from 1907 to
1929. Shoot-the-Chutes ran down the western slope of Doling Park
into the lake. A flat bottomed, wooden boat was pulled up the chute
and then released back down the chute, making it hit the water with
a big splash. The ride was torn down in 1929 after the city of Springfield
took over Doling Park from the privately owned Doling Park Amusement
Company. The bridge is visible with the ice house on the left. Ice
was cut from the lake in winter and stored in the ice house for
use in the summer.