Tourist Court. This postcard is a "duo-grave" made by Mid-West Map
Co., in Aurora, Missouri. The caption on the front states that the
court is "One-Half Mile East on U.S. 66." The back of the card reads
"Sleep in Safety and Comfort Without Extravagance. All Modern Heated
Cottages. Prompt and Courteous Service for Our Guests. Popular Priced
Cafï¿½ -- Famous for Food." This describes a typical tourist court created
during the days when Route 66 was the "Mother Road."
The Eagle Tourist Court was actually one of the first tourist courts
in Springfield, starting business in 1928. In 1938 a traveler could
rent one of the three cottages pictured for $1 to $1.50 per night.
Each cottage had kitchen facilities and there was a single public
restroom. The Eagle also had a cafï¿½ and gas station.
It was located on the southwest corner of Barnes Avenue and East Kearney
Street. The current address is 2158 East Kearney. It was annexed into
Springfield sometime between 1955 and 1960. The Eagle became a trailer
park in the late 1960s. In the early 1980s, the cottages were demolished
and the land made into a parking lot.