All Library branches will be closed and the Mobile Library will not make its scheduled stops on Thursday, Nov. 27, in observance of Thanksgiving Day.
HISTORICAL POSTCARDS OF SPRINGFIELD,
is a 101-acre (originally 206-acre) tract of land located in southwest
Springfield at the corner of Sunshine Street and Fort Avenue. The
address is 1701 South Fort. The land was originally homesteaded
by three early settlers, William McLane, Bryan Nowlin and Samuel
Dickson. By 1892 John and Alice O'Day had purchased the property.
John O'Day provided the money to build the fantastic 27,000 square-foot
house and Alice provided the creativity. It was named Elfindale
after the elves Alice imagined seeing in the morning mists in the
dale outside the house. Fifty stonemasons from Germany built the
Victorian-style mansion, which contains 35 rooms. The limestone
used in building the mansion was mined on the property. Alice and
John O'Day divorced soon after the house was built and Alice was
awarded the house in the divorce. She had Fassnight Creek dammed
so that there was an island in the middle of a lake on the property.
The postcard shows a pagoda on the island with a bridge leading
to it. She had many grand parties and decorated the house lavishly.
Her money ran out in 1905 and she was forced to sell Elfindale.
Alice O'Day was offered $259,000 for the house, but she sold it
to the Sisters of Visitation for only $30,000. She did this because
she believed the house should be set aside for a special purpose
by God. In May, 1906 the sisters arrived from St. Louis and established
the St. de Chantal Academy of the Visitation, a boarding and day
school for girls. This school operated out of the mansion until
1964. While the Sisters lived at Elfindale they built two other
buildings on the property: a three-story brick residence for the
priest, built in 1908, and Our Lady of Visitation Chapel, built
After the school closed in 1964, Elfindale became a retreat center.
A small bookstore called De Sales operated out of the house until
1978. In October of 1978 the building was sold by the Sisters, who
wished to relocate, to a group of Iranian investors known as the
RNT Corporation. On September 1, 1980, the RNT Corporation loaned
the building to the Cornerstone World Outreach Center, a charismatic
religious group. An interesting sidelight is that Larry Flynt, publisher
of Hustler magazine, considered buying the property as an
addition to his publishing empire. Most of Springfield breathed
a sigh of relief when this deal fell through.
In 1990 the Springfield Symphony Guild chose Elfindale as the Designer's
Showcase House. For this fundraiser the entire house was remodeled
and redecorated and admission was charged for the public to see
the finished house. In June of 1990 the house opened as the Mansion
at Elfindale Bed and Breakfast. It is currently a bed and breakfast
with 13 rooms available, each with its own bathroom. The rates are
$70.00 to $125.00 per night.