All Library branches will be closed on Sunday, Apr. 5, in observance of Easter.
HISTORICAL POSTCARDS OF SPRINGFIELD,
cheerful-looking gasoline station was located at 754 North Grant,
or at the intersection of Grant and Poplar. It first appeared in
the Springfield City Directory in 1928. John T. Hultsman was the
owner. In addition to the filling station on Grant Avenue, he also
owned two others: one at Commercial and Washington and one at Campbell
and Central Street. He also owned a warehouse at the corner of Central
In the 1930 Springfield City Directory, J.T. Hultsman was only the
proprietor of two stations, the one in the postcard and the one
at Commercial and Avenue. Perhaps the Great Depression affected
his business. In 1932 he owned three service stations: Number 1
at 754 North Grant, Number 2 at 1310 College and Number 3 at 1245
Boonville Avenue. By 1935 J.T. and his son Jack are listed as owner
and attendant at one station (the one in the postcard) and they
both lived in the house pictured on the postcard at 752 North Grant.
In 1937 J.T. Hultsman added a station at 1724 West Kearney.
By 1940 the Springfield City Directory lists the business at 754
North Grant as White's Service Station. In 1946 it was the Sam Youree
Service Station. By 1950 no business was listed at that address.