Company. According to the postcard's caption, the Lampe-Birkenback
was "Missouri's most beautiful and complete Automobile Service Station."
It was located at the southwest corner of North Jefferson and East
Olive. The service station was the first floor of the building,
while the upper floors were a parking garage. It was built in 1929
by business partners Milton W. Birkenback, who died in 1931, and
Grover Lampe who with his son Fayette J. Lampe continued to run
the business at least until the 1940s.
The company was originally named the Lampe-Birkenback Tire Co.,
but was later changed to the Lampe-Birkenback Auto Hotel. The building
was of fireproof construction and had a capacity of 300 automobiles.