March of 1941 the city of Springfield donated a 158-acre tract of
land that had formerly been the Glenstone Golf Course to the United
States Army to build a hospital. Construction began in April and
on November 7, 1941, exactly one month before the Pearl Harbor attack,
the first patient, Lowell Wright, arrived for treatment. What was
originally designed as a 1000-bed Army hospital was eventually expanded
to 3500 beds. The postcard depicts some of the hospital ward buildings,
presumably in 1941 or 1942, since the trees are so young. The postcard
is published by R.W. Roseberry Company of Springfield, Missouri.
The hospital remained open until February 10, 1947 when it was converted
to a Veterans' Hospital for tuberculous and other general patients.
Only 125 of the original 240 buildings were used and the Veterans'
Hospital had a 500 bed capacity. The Veterans' Hospital closed in
In 1955 Evangel College, a four-year Assemblies of God college,
began to operate in the O'Reilly Hospital buildings. Many of the
original buildings are still being used as classrooms, office and
storage space for what is now called Evangel University.