was begun on Pipkin Junior High School in 1923, but was not completed
until 1925 because the school district lacked the money to finish
the building until a bond issue was passed in 1925. The school was
located at 1201 Boonville (address later changed to 1215 Boonville).
Contract for the completion of the building was awarded to M.E.
Gillioz of Monett.
Pipkin was named for school board member William H. Pipkin. He also
owned the property on which the school was built. Earl Hawkins was
the architect. The first principal of Pipkin was Dr. C. Benton Manley.
The name of the weekly student newspaper was the Pipkin Pilot.
Pipkin, as well as the elementary schools that feed into it, are
considered atrisk schools. Pipkin Middle School, as it is
now called, is part of a partnership among Yale University, Drury
University and Boyd-Berry Elementary Schools called the Comer project.
It is a model developed by James Comer of Yale to increase parent
involvement in schools, help at-risk students and provide opportunities
for teachers to improve their skills. This program began in 1998.
The postcard is a black-and-white photograph showing Pipkin as it
looked when new. On the back are listed autographs of teachers with
their departments listed.