All Library branches will be closed and the Mobile Library will not make its regularly scheduled stops on Monday, May 30, Memorial Day.
HISTORICAL POSTCARDS OF SPRINGFIELD,
Street Christian Church
The photograph in the postcard portrays the South Street Christian
Church, a church of the Disciples of Christ denomination. The church
was organized in 1886 by Reverend E.G. Laughlin. It came into being
because of a split among Disciples of Christ congregations concerning
the use of instrumental music in the church services. The South
Street denomination believed instrumental music, especially organ
music, should be allowed.
A lot was purchased at 500 South Street on the east side of the
street, nearly opposite the First
Baptist Church. A large brick building was constructed in 1887
and was used for more than twenty years. It was razed in 1909 to
make room for a larger church structure which was completed in 1910.
This 1910 church is the building in the postcard. It is addressed
to Miss Lucile Morris and postmarked August 11, 1911.
It was built at a cost of $40,000 and was dedicated on October 10,
1910. It contained a first floor as large as the previous church
along with a three-sided balcony that seated almost as many people
as the first floor. Behind the pipe organ were three classrooms
and office space. A full basement held a Sunday School auditorium
with adjoining classrooms and a kitchen area.
The building pictured was replaced in 1972 by the present church at 500 South Street. The earliest congregation,
First Christian Church, began in 1834 and merged with South Street
in 1918. During the influenza epidemic of 1918, hospital facilities
in Springfield were not adequate to handle the emergency, so South
Street turned over its building to the Red Cross and it was used
for three months as an emergency hospital. By 1919 the church had
more than 1,000 members.