SPRINGFIELD, MISSOURI, AND SURROUNDINGS 1889
(previous page) looking southward can afford to overlook. It is equally patent to the careful observer that Springfield is to become A MANUFACTURING CITY of no ordinary magnitude. The influences that favor the development of a powerful railway system, will be found quite as potent stimulants to the manufacture of scores of articles in common use throughout this great region, and most of which are now made in factories from 500 to 1500 miles away. The crude materials, such as iron, coal, timber, straw, barks, hides, wool, cotton, lead, zinc, fire and potters clays, kaolin, fruits beef, pork and grain, are scattered all over the tributary country, and will be brought here for conversion into farm machinery, furniture, wagons, carriages, leather, boots and shoes, cotton and woolen fabrics, white lead, sheet zinc, canned fruits and vegetables, fire bricks, tiles, pottery, porcelain, wooden wares, straw paper, soaps, preserved meats, mill stuffs, and no end of other things for re-distribution over the same territory, and beyond, into new fields clearly within the reach of the city, which already makes an INDUSTRIAL EXHIBIT of no mean order. Of all industries started in this city by good practical skilled men, since the completion of the present railway system, not one has failed to demonstrate the feasibility and profit of more extended work in its own and other lines. The central location of THE FRISCO SHOPS round house and division offices, at this point, has fully justified the sagacious management of the company in the selection of Springfield as a site for this great plant, which, in conjunction with the forty acres of shop and yard grounds, is worth close to $1,000,000. About 750 men—including mechanics, train-men, yard-men, and the clerical force—are employed here, and their monthly pay-roll aggregates nearly $70,000, nearly all of which is expended in the city. The general repairs on the 173 engines, 120 passenger cars, and 5,400 freight cars of the system is done at the shops. The location of THE GULF SHOPS at this central point involves the ultimate removal of the entire Kansas City and other mechanical works of the Gulf system to Springfield, and will result in giving to this city another industrial interest equal to that of the Frisco works.
The present shops, round house and division offices embrace a force of 305 men with a monthly pay-roll of $25,000.00; 100 new men will soon be added to the mechanical force, and on completion of the works now projected full 500 men will be employed here, with a monthly pay-roll closely approximating $50,000.00. The steady extension of these two trunk systems involves a large increase in the plants above mentioned, and it is quite probable that within five years they will represent works, men and disbursements 50 per cent. greater than now. Next in magnitude among the local industries is THE MILLING INTEREST, which embraces five flouring mills and two corn mills, with plants valued at $200,000.00, and a daily capacity of 900 barrels. They employ sixty men, and their yearly output is valued at $400,000.00. The steady growth of this interest, and the fact that some of the city mills have a national reputation for fine flour-making, suggests the extension of the merchant milling industry to much larger proportions. THE SPRINGFIELD FURNITURE MFG. CO., is the name of a new corporation recently organized, with a capital of $20,000, by a few public spirited citizens, for the manufacture of school, church and office furniture. They have already built a large factory on the belt railway line, adjoining the Queen City addition, and have twenty skilled men at work on church, school and bank furniture, far in excess of their present capacity. Mr. T. E. Hampton, the manager of the works, and a gentleman of large experience in the designing and manufacture of this class of furniture in the East, says he will soon have fifty hands at work on orders from all parts of the West; and from present indications the factory will need liberal enlargement to meet the fast-growing needs of their trade, which is gradually spreading all over the Southwest.
Within the last sixty days he has demonstrated that a fine class of goods can be made here, with good profit, in competition with Chicago, Indianapolis, Grand Rapids, etc. This new industry promises well for the city, and is highly complimentary to Messrs. Rathbun, Hardy, Stephenson, Frazee, Goffe and Hampton, its public spirited founders.
Mr. Hampton and his skilled workmen are a capital acquisition to the mechanical forces of the city, for their presence and initial work mean indefinite extension for this new and engaging industry.
The president, Col. Geo. S. Rathbun, Mr. D. L. Hardy, the secretary and treasurer, Messrs. Stephenson and Frazee and Chas. H. Goffe are all prime workers in this new enterprise. Mr. Hampton has no superior as a designer and business manager in this line, and as the company is out of debt, and with a long list of orders ahead, the outlook for the industry is exceedingly promising. The location is fortunate; the mechanical plant perfect; and the goods now being turned out equal in design and finish to any made in the East. THE SPRINGFIELD WAGON CO., founded in 1872 by Gov. Jno. S. Phelps, Col. Boyd, Col. Dan C. Kennedy, Messrs. Milligan and McElhaney, has developed into one of the foremost industries of the city. Some time after its establishment, Col. Homer F. Fellows assumed the stock and liabilities, and has since managed the business of the company, which has a capital stock of $75,000.00.
The value of the plant, including ten acres of (next page)
1 | 2 | 3 | 4
| 5 | 6 | 7
| 8 | 9 | 10
| 11 | 12 | 13
| 14 | 15 | 17
18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35
Springfield 1889 Home | Keyword Search | Engravings Thumbnails
Local History Home