Common Questions & Issues
- Why doesn’t the library have the e-book I want?
- I have finished an e-book and would like to return it early.
- I would like to renew an e-book.
- I transferred an e-book using Adobe Digital Editions to my NOOK, but cannot find it.
- My e-reader does not appear in Adobe Digital Editions.
- The e-book I downloaded does not appear in Adobe Digital Editions.
- I receive a message saying an e-book has been delivered to my Kindle, but it does not appear there.
- I am not asked where I want to save a Kindle file when transferring it via USB.
- The mobile site looks different, what can I do?
- The website changed and now I can’t check out e-books for my Kindle.
- I get an error message saying the file type is not supported.
- I have checked out an e-book, but nothing happens when I click the download button.
Why doesn’t the library have the e-book I want?
The answer, in many cases, is simply the publisher won’t let us access those titles. Some major publishing houses have never allowed or have stopped allowing libraries to license their e-books. Unfortunately this means that if you’re looking to checkout atitle they publish you are currently out of luck.
As we continue to increase the size of our e-book collection, we hope you understand some of the limitations that are placed on us. It is our mission to provide a wide variety of reading materials to a diverse group of readers, and we are always willing to take suggestions.
I have finished a book and would like to return it early.
- To return Kindle books early, visit the "Manage Your Kindle" page in your Amazon account. Find the book you would like to return, click on the "Actions..." button and select "Return this book." You can permanently delete the item from your library by then selecting “Delete...” from the “Actions...” button.
- To return items from your computer or dedicated e-reader you must use Adobe Digital Editions (ADE). Please follow the software's instructions.
- To return items from your phone or tablet, use the proper instructions for your device.
I would like to renew an e-book.
There is no procedure for renewing an e-book. If an e-book expires before you are done reading it and there are no holds on it, you can simply check it out and download it again.
I transferred a book using Adobe Digital Editions to my NOOK, but cannot find it.
NOOK Color or Tablet
- Touch the menu button.
- Touch "library."
- Touch "my stuff" at the top right
- Touch "My Files"
- Open the folder called Digital Editions
- Once you open the book it should appear on your home screen
My e-reader does not appear in Adobe Digital Editions.
- Close out of Adobe Digital Editions and reopen it with the e-reader plugged in.
- Try plugging the device into a different USB port. (Desktop computers have additional ports on the back.)
- Make sure your e-reader is fully charged and unlocked. (Some touch screen e-readers have a slide to unlock them.)
The e-book I downloaded does not open in Adobe Digital Editions
- Click the download button again and click "Open" (not "Save"). This should cause it to automatically open in Adobe Digital Editions.
- You may need to set Adobe Digital Editions as the default program for opening the downloaded file. This can be done through the Internet browser or through the operating system. The file type that needs to be changed is .acsm (Adobe Content Server Message). The following are instructions with screenshots for Firefox and a variety of operating systems: Firefox, Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP.
I receive a message saying a book has been delivered to my Kindle, but it does not appear there.
Kindle books are delivered through a wifi connection only. They will not be sent through 3G. The following instructions will help you connect your device to wifi.
- Check at the top of your screen next to the battery power indicator. If it says 3G there or nothing at all, you will need to connect to a wireless network.
- Click or tap on your Menu button and select Settings.
- Select “view” next to the Wifi Settings heading. This should display the available wireless networks.
- Your device should now say wifi at the top next to the battery power icon if you have successfully connected. The book should be delivered shortly.
- Tap on the menu button (gear) at the top right of the screen.
- Tap on the wifi option. A list of available wifi networks should be displayed.
- Tap on the desired network to connect. You might need to enter a password or agree to terms before connecting.
- If you are connected, tap on the menu button again and select Sync. Your book should be delivered shortly.
I am not asked where I want to save a Kindle file when transferring it via USB.
You will need to set your browser to ask before downloading files. Use the proper instructions for your browser.
- Click the Tools menu and select Options.
- Make sure the General tab is selected on the window that opens.
- Find the Downloads heading and click "Always ask me where to save files."
- Click on the wrench icon in the upper right corner and select Settings.
- Click on Under the Hood on the left side of the screen.
- Find the Downloads area and check the box next to "Ask where to save each file before downloading."
The mobile site looks different, what can I do?
When navigating to OverDrive from a mobile device, sometimes the site shows up with large cover images on the screen making you scroll down and down to get the information you want or what you need to proceed. Make sure the device's screen is unlocked and turn it horizontal. Horizontally the site will appear as you would normally view it and its easy to navigate.
The website changed and now I can’t check out e-books for my Kindle.
With the migration to our new Next Generation website, your Amazon 1-click settings may have changed. Please make sure your 1-click settings are updated on your Amazon account. This 1-click setting has to be in place to download library e-books to Kindles.
I get an error message saying the file type is not supported when trying to download a book to an iPad/iPhone/iPod touch or Android device.
OverDrive Media Console App can't read PDF files. Check to see what format the book is in. It is also possible that you are trying to download a WMA audiobook, not an e-book.
I have checked out an e-book, but nothing happens when I click the download button.
You may be trying to download the e-book directly to a device that does not allow this (Nook, Literati, etc.). Make sure that you have downloaded Adobe Digital Editions and follow the proper download/transfer procedure.