Quick Start Guide: Smartphone/Tablet
Smartphone or Tablet
Applies to: iPad, iPhone, iPod touch, Android tablets and smartphones, Kindle Fire, NOOK Tablet, NOOK Color, Windows phones and Blackberries.
You will need to install the free Overdrive Media Console app on your device before checking out and downloading eBooks. This program allows you to search our collection and manages the eBooks and audiobooks you have borrowed. It can be downloaded directly using the app store on your device. This initial setup only has to be completed once. You should always use the most updated version of the Overdrive App.
Find, Download, & Install The OverDrive App
- Go to the device’s app store.
- Search for “OverDrive” in the app store. This app should have a large white “O” in the center on a blue background.
- “Purchase” the app and install. The app is free.
Configuring the OverDrive App
- You will need an Adobe ID to use the OverDrive app.
- If you do not already have an Adobe ID:
- Follow the authorization instructions for the device: Apple, Android, Kindle, NOOK, Windows, BlackBerry
- Or by following these steps:
- Go to www.adobe.com
- Click on “Sign In” in the top right corner of the screen.
- Click on “Don’t have an Adobe ID?”
- Follow the steps to create your Adobe ID.
- Open the OverDrive app if it is not already open.
- Navigate to the “App Settings” menu. (Android/NOOK users: tap the three horizontal lines to see the menu. Apple users: tap “Get Books” to see menu options.)
- Enter your Adobe ID and password.
- Tap “Authorize.”
Save a Library to Your App
- Tap on “Get Books.” If you do not see the “Get Books” option, you may need tap your device’s menu button.
- Click on “Add a Library” to save a Springfield-Greene library to your device. (You will only need to do this once.)
- Type in your zip code and click search.
- Tap any one of the Springfield-Greene County Library branches that appears. You may not see the branch you normally visit in the list, but it doesn’t matter as long as you pick a branch in the Springfield-Greene County system.
- Tap on the star that appears next to the branch in order to save this library to your device.
Find, Checkout and Download eBooks
- Tap on “Get Books.” The library you saved earlier should appear on your list.
- Tap on “Springfield-Greene County Library” to view our digital collection. You can also view our items at our Overdrive catalog.
- Tapping on the browse button at the top of the screen allows you to browse the different genres. You can also search by title or author using the search button at the top of the page. Click on "Available Now" to limit your search to only books that are currently available. Clicking on "Advanced" in the search area gives you additional options. Books that are available for checkout have a button saying "Add to cart." Books that are unavailable have a button saying "Place a hold."
- Once you have found an eBook to checkout, tap the “Add to cart” button for the EPUB version (even if you have a Kindle Fire).
- Tap “Proceed to Checkout.”
- Enter your library card number.
- Choose the length of your check-out period and then tap "Confirm Checkout."
- Tap "Download" to deliver the book to your OverDrive app.
- The app should automatically open the item.
- Use the proper instructions for your device to return books early: Apple, Android, Kindle, NOOK, Windows, BlackBerry
Find this article at