Applies to: Any device with a modern web browser.
If you’d like to view or listen to e-books or audiobooks using an e-reader or tablet choose another Quick Start Guide listed here.
WHAT IS OVERDRIVE READ?
OverDrive Read is a way of reading e-books in your web browser. There is no need to
download software or transfer files across devices – just open up the web browser on your smartphone, tablet or computer and start reading.
CHECKING OUT AN E-BOOK
1. Go to thelibrary.org/overdrive in your web browser.
2. Login before searching to see thousands of e-books available only to Springfield-Greene County Library cardholders. Click the ‘Sign In’ link. Type your library card # without spaces. Click ‘Sign In.’
3. Filter your search to OverDrive READ format.
4. Click on a book cover to select an e-book.
5. If an e-book is available for immediate checkout, a darkened icon of an open book will display where the page corner is turned down. If the book is unavailable, this icon will be grayed out.
6. Click the ‘Borrow’ button.
7. You are automatically taken to your ‘Bookshelf.’ Your Bookshelf is where all of your checked out library items are stored.
8. Click ‘Read in Your Browser’ (next to the item).
9. Bookmark the page in your web browser for offline viewing.
RETURN AN E-BOOK
To return an item, login into your OverDrive account and click ‘Account’ then ‘Bookshelf.’ Under each item you have checked out is the option to return it. Click ‘Return Title’ to return the item.
HOW CAN I READ MY E-BOOK?
Your eBooks are stored in the cloud, which means you can read across a number of different devices and your e-books will sync so that you don’t lose your place. Modern web browsers will save the books in the browser cache, so you can read even when you're not connected to the Internet.
When e-books are first opened up in a web browser they cache – or save – for offline access. If there are e-books you think you might want to read offline we recommend you bookmark them in your web browser when you first open them up. If you’re using an iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch, you can add them to your home screen as web-apps.
WHICH DEVICES ARE COMPATIBLE WITH OVERDRIVE READ?
Any device with a modern web browser. The latest versions of all major web browsers support the full range of features required for full use of OverDrive Read, including offline support.
Some devices (such as Sony eReaders and Kindle Keyboards) are not ideal as their browsers are too basic. The best way to test if your device is compatible is to try it out with a free sample book. Check compatibility here.
Supported Browsers Versions
Chrome 7 or higher
Internet Explorer 8 or higher (see note about Google Chrome below)
Safari 5.0 or higher
Firefox 4 or higher
Opera 11.5 or higher
CAN I READ E-BOOKS ON MY iPAD - OR OTHER iOS DEVICES?
Absolutely. Just open up your OverDrive Read e-book in the Safari web browser. For easy access to your e-book either bookmark it or ‘Add to Home Screen’ – the latter will make your eebook into a pretty webapp. Bookmarking or adding your eebook to the home screen will also save it for offline reading.
CAN I READ E-BOOKS ON MY KINDLE, NOOK OR SONY E-READER?
OverDrive Read works with any device that has a modern web browser.
The NOOK and original Kindle Fire use custom browsers. Because of this, OverDrive READ may not function properly.
Some devices (such as Sony e-readers and Kindle Keyboards) are not ideal as their browsers are very basic, while some e-readers don’t have browsers at all.
CAN I READ MY EBOOK IN ANOTHER WAY?
You can return to your library Bookshelf in your OverDrive account and choose to read your e-book in a different format. A list of available formats for each e-book can be found next to every borrowed title on your Bookshelf by clicking on ‘Download’ next to the title.
Find this article at