RESEARCH Government


Income Tax Resources

Income Tax Information & Forms

The Springfield-Greene County Library system distributes Federal tax forms during filing season (Jan.-April) as a service to the community.

Library staff cannot help you prepare your taxes or tell you which form you need.

Staff members can direct you to paper copies, internet resources, and reproducible forms and publications. We can direct you to information that will help you decide what you need and to local groups that provide assistance with filling out your forms. This guide provides useful links and answers to frequently asked questions.

  1. Where can I get forms?
  2. What forms do you supply at the Library?
  3. Where can I obtain tax forms for past years?.
  4. Where can I get out-of-state tax forms?
  5. Can I file my forms electronically at the Library?
  6. Where do I mail my tax form?
  7. What is the deadline to file my taxes?
  8. What is my Missouri School District Number?
  9. Where can I obtain help in preparing my taxes?
  10. How do I check on the status of my refunds?


1. Where can I get forms?

  • Online -- download, fill-in, or print forms:
       Other States:
  • Delivered in the mail:
        Federal--order by phone: 1-800-829-3676 (1-800-TAX-FORM)
        Federal--order online: Forms and publications from IRS
        Federal--order online: Employer and Information Returns
                    (Forms W-2, W-3, 1096, 1098, 1099, and 5498, etc.)
        Missouri--order by phone:  1-800-877-6881
  • In person at a local tax office:
            IRS Office [map]
            2937 S. Claremont Ave, Bldg. A
            (north of Battlefield, east of Lone Pine)
            Phone: (417) 889-9828
            Hours:  Mon-Fri, 8:30-4:30; 
            Tax Assistance Center [map]
            Room 313
            149 Park Central Square  (License Office Building)
            Phone: (417) 895-6474
            Hours:  Mon-Fri, 8:00-5:00
  • At all Springfield-Greene County Libraries:
       The most popular preprinted Federal forms are available at no charge. 
       Free Missouri tax forms are NOT available at any library. 
       Prints and photocopies of both Federal and Missouri forms are 10 cents per page. 

2. What forms do you supply at the Library?

  • The Library no longer receives paper forms from the Missouri Department of Revenue.
  • Preprinted IRS (federal) forms are free to the public and include the three main 1040 forms (EZ, A, and long) and the most frequently requested schedules.
  • Each branch orders its own supply of Federal forms, so which forms are available will vary from branch to branch.
  • Prints or photocopies of most other forms, including Missouri forms, can be made for 10 cents per page
  • We do not maintain enough inventory to supply bulk or multiple-copy requests.
  • Some Federal forms are printed as special "machine-readable" products, and you cannot file a copied or reprinted version. These forms should be obtained directly from an IRS office or ordered from IRS Employer Returns. Some library branches have special ordered a limited supply of these forms:
         Form W-2
         Form W-3
         Form 1096
         Form 1099-MISC 

3. Where can I get tax forms for past years?

4. Where can I get out-of-state tax forms?

  • At the Federation of Tax Administrators' State Tax Form Page
  • You may also call or contact the Department of Revenue of a specific state. The Library can supply you with an address and phone number for out of state offices. Call our Reference Department at 883-5341, or your local branch library for more information.

5. Can I file my forms electronically at the Library?

  • The Library does not provide software to help you prepare your taxes, but it does provide Internet access to the following sites.
  • Federal electronic filing -- IRS E-File will guide you to free and low-cost Internet filing opportunities.
  • Missouri electronic filing -- MO E-file provides information about electronic filing on the Department of Revenue site.

6. Where do I mail my tax form?

7. What is the deadline to file my taxes?

  • The deadline this year is Tuesday, April 15, 2014.  For more information, refer to IRS Tax Topic 301.

8. What is my Missouri School District Number?

  • Greene County school district numbers are:
         Springfield R-XII......475
         Ash Grove R-IV.....011
         Fair Grove R-X.....140
         Logan-Rogersville R-VII...277
         Republic R-III.....415
         Strafford R-VI.....492
         Walnut Grove R-V.....527
         Willard R-II.....550
  • The Missouri Department of Revenue site has a complete list .

9. Where can I obtain help in preparing my taxes?

Volunteer Income Tax Assistance
Missouri State University and Drury University students working with the ATLS coalition will provide Volunteer Income Tax Assistance. This program provides free tax preparation assistance for federal tax returns and Earned Income Credit (EIC), Missouri Property Tax Credit, and other tax forms. They will provide assistance with Missouri and other states' tax returns if the federal return is being prepared.

Assistance is for those of low-to-moderate income and for people with disabilities and non-English speakers.

View schedule and further details. Some sites require appointments.

Tax Counseling for the Elderly
The Southwest Missouri Office on Aging TCE (Tax Counseling for the Elderly) program provides free tax preparation and assistance. IRS-trained volunteers prepare federal and state tax returns and Missouri Property Tax Credit forms. Older adults will be given priority, but other ages can receive the service after older adults have been served.

View a schedule and further details. Most sites require appointments.


The MyFreeTaxes Partnership provides free state and federal tax preparation and filing assistance for qualified individuals (combined 2013 income under $58,000). For assistance, call 1-855-698-9435 Monday-Saturday, 9a.m.--10p.m. or email

To e-file your 2013 tax return or other electronic forms, you must verify your identity with your Self-Select PIN or Adjusted Gross Income from your 2012 tax return.

Low Income Tax Clinic -- tax appeals filing assistance

The Missouri State University Low Income Tax Controversy and Outreach Clinic represents taxpayers with controversies before the Internal Revenue Service. Trained volunteers assist taxpayers who have received a letter from the IRS that they don't understand, people who are experiencing financial hardship due to an IRS levy or lien, and those who have unresolved Federal tax debt.

Call 417-836-3007 to make an appointment. View further details [pdf].

10. How do I check on the status of my refunds?

Find this article at

JavaScript disabled or chat unavailable.

Free wi-fi

Friends of the library

The Library Foundation

Bookmark and Share

Sign up for the newsletter

© Springfield-Greene County Library District