This research guide has been created to aid those in search of answers to the ongoing debate over climate change and the threat of global warming.There exist varying opinions on the subject of climate change, but they inescapably fall into two categories, either global warming poses a serious threat to the inhabitants of the earth, or it does not. This research guide should help ease your navigation through masses of information on the subject matter; it will allow you to search credible resources, and argue your position from a knowledgeable standpoint.
Books and Multimedia
Many books and DVDs about global warming can be found in COOLcat
, the Springfield-Greene County Libraries' online catalog, under the Subject headings of Global Warming
or Climatic Changes
Notable books and DVDs about Climate Change
- An inconvenient truth : the planetary emergency of global warming and what we can do about it by Al Gore
- An inconvenient truth [DVD videorecording] : a global warning
- The weather makers : how man is changing the climate and what it means for life on Earth by Tim Flannery
- Field notes from a catastrophe : man, nature, and climate change by Elizabeth Kolbert
- The winds of change : climate, weather, and the destruction of civilizations by Eugene Linden
- The empty tank : oil, gas, hot air, and the coming global financial catastrophe by Jeremy Leggett
- Boiling point : how politicians, big oil and coal, journalists, and activists are fueling the climate crisis--and what we can do to avert disaster by Ross Gelbspan
- The discovery of global warming by Spencer R. Weart
- You can prevent global warming (and save money!) : 51 easy ways by Jeffrey Langholz and Kelly Turner
- Global Change Acronyms and Abbreviations
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency - Climate Change
- Climate Ark - "The Climate Ark is an Internet search tool that provides access to reviewed climate change, global warming and renewable energy conservation news, information retrieval tools, and original analysis and action opportunities."
- National Resources Defense Council References/Links on Environment
- Yahoo Climate Change Directory - A directory of links for all things on the Internet related to climate change.
- Climate Debate Daily - A new way to understand disputes about global warming - A fantastic, highly lauded resource that gathers news, essays, and research supporting and challenging the views that global warming is caused by human activity, that global warming is a threat to humanity, and that earth's climate can be controlled by people.
- United States Interactive Climate Pages - This web site provides easy access to climatologies for cities throughout the US and its possessions." It can be searched by state and city for weather types such as precipitation or snowfall. Time periods can be specified and information is available in detailed or text format for slower downloads.
- World Climate - Offering information on "What the weather is normally like for tens of thousands of places worldwide!" Offers historical weather averages, typically including monthly and annual average rainfall and/or precipitation data.
- Global Change Master Directory - "A comprehensive source of information about Earth science, environmental, biosphere, climate, and global change data holdings available to the scientific community throughout the world."
- Science in Society - "A quarterly on-line magazine edited by Dr Maewan Ho with articles furthering the GM debate, biodiversity, cloning, vaccination controversy, NHS, Complementary medicines, indigenous knowledge systems, climate change, independent scientist and book reviews."
- Pew Center on Global Climate Change - A source of publications and reports about climate change from an international, U.S federal, state, regional, and business perspective.
- Carbon Dioxide Information Analysis Center - "The Carbon Dioxide Information Analysis Center (Robert M. Cushman, Director), which includes the World Data Center for Atmospheric Trace Gases, is the primary global-change data and information analysis center of the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE).
Climate Change Organizations
: United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change
: Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change
: World Meteorological Organization
: International Institute for Sustainable Development
: United Nations Environment Programme
- May be subdivided using DEVELOPING COUNTRIES; EFFECT OF HUMAN BEINGS ON; ENVIRONMENTAL ASPECTS; FORECASTING; GOVERNMENT POLICY; HISTORY; INTERNATIONAL COOPERATION; MATHEMATICAL MODELS; RESEARCH, etc.
- May be subdivided geographically, e.g., CLIMATIC CHANGES--ANTARCTICA
- See also as subdivision CLIMATIC FACTORS, e.g., BIOLOGICAL DIVERSITY--CLIMATIC FACTORS
- See also as subdivision EFFECT OF GLOBAL WARMING ON, e.g., PLANTS--EFFECT OF GLOBAL WARMING ON
CARBON CYCLE (BIOGEOCHEMISTRY)
GLOBAL ENVIRONMENTAL CHANGES
GLOBAL TEMPERATURE CHANGES
GREENHOUSE EFFECT, ATMOSPHERIC
CARBON DIOXIDE MITIGATION
CARBON DIOXIDE SINKS
CROPS AND CLIMATE
GREENHOUSE GAS MITIGATION
NATURE--EFFECT OF HUMAN BEINGS ON
OZONE LAYER DEPLETION
PLANTS, EFFECT OF GLOBAL WARMING ON
VEGETATION AND CLIMATE
Professional journals and popular science magazines as well as reference books online can be searched in the science research databases
purchased for you by the Springfield-Greene County Library. A valid Library card
is required to access these databases from outside the Library.
Need more help?
Find this article at