Vaccines and Immunization Information
Vaccine safety has been a recurring issue in the media over the last few years. A large amount of media coverage has focused on concerns about autism associated with the MMR (Measles, Mumps, Rubella) vaccine, and more recently with concerns over the safety and administration of the HPV (Human Papillomavirus) vaccine. The following resources contain information regarding the safety of commonly used vaccines.
- The Institute of Medicine of the National Academies recently (8/25/11) published an independent report titled "Adverse Effects of Vaccines: Evidence and Causality" which discusses causality between common vaccinations and certain medical conditions. A summary can be found here, with a full downloadable PDF version of the report available as well.
- MedlinePlus has a good overview of immunizations and links to helpful websites.
- The Merck Manual of Home Health Online also provides background information for most commonly used vaccines.
- All vaccines are regulated by the FDA (Food and Drug Administration) and information about all FDA approved vaccines can be found on their website. The FDA has also published a fact sheet concerning the safety of Gardasil (the most commonly used HPV vaccine), as well as the MMR vaccine. They also have information on common ingredients found in vaccines and their potential health effects.
- The CDC (Center for Disease Control) has a large number of resources regarding vaccine safety. These include: Copies of vaccination information statements, information on vaccine preventable diseases, possible side effects, finding, interpreting and recording immunization records, and immunization schedules for children and adults.
- The HHS (Department of Health and Human Services) runs the Vaccine Adverse Reporting System (VAERS) which is used to monitor any adverse reactions to currently used vaccines.
- More information can also be found at thelibrary.org/health
The Library also has a number of books available on immunization and vaccines:
Vaccines and Your Child : Separating Fact from Fiction by Paul Offit and Charlotte Moser
The Everything Parent's Guide to Vaccines by Leslie Young
What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Children's Vaccinations by Stephanie Cave and Deborah Mitchell
Deadly Choices : How the Anti-Vaccine Movement Threatens Us All by Paul Offit
Questions & Answers About Human Papilloma Virus (HPV) by Don Dizon and Michael Krychman
Find this article at