Get Help with E-reader Selection and Training at the Library
It’s not that we don’t love the traditional paperbacks and hardback books that fill our shelves, but librarians are a helpful lot. So they’ve been eager to help patrons adopt new ways to enjoy books and movies on e-readers.
We think it’s an important service that the Library can and should provide. As the sale of e-readers has soared nationwide, our patrons checked out the Library’s e-books and other e-media 90 percent more often in November 2011 compared to November 2010.
Reflecting our growing collection of e-media and the popularity of e-readers, our e-checkouts went from 784 in November 2008 to 2,283 in November 2010 to 4,337 last month.
That’s why the Library has stepped up e-reader training sessions for early 2012. If the holidays bring an e-reader to your home and you’d like some general tips and hands-on help on downloading the Library’s e-collection, drop by one of these free sessions. Registration is not required.
- 10 a.m. Jan. 7, Library Center meeting room B
- 2 p.m. Jan. 7, Willard Branch Library
- Noon Jan. 10, Brentwood Branch
- 6 p.m. Jan. 10, Library Center meeting room A
- 7 p.m. Jan. 23, Library Station Frisco Room
- 3 p.m. Jan. 25, Midtown Carnegie Branch upstairs meeting room
- 7 p.m. Jan. 30, Brentwood Branch
- 3 p.m. Feb. 4, Strafford Branch
- 7 p.m. Feb. 4, Library Center auditorium
- 3 p.m. Feb. 8, Republic Branch
Shopping for an e-reader that’s right for you? You’ll find useful tips in the article, “Choosing an E-reader,” on the Library website, thelibrary.org, written by Library Center computer/periodicals assistant Trint Williams.
_ _ _
A reminder about upcoming Library holiday closings: All branches will be closed and the Mobile Library will not run on Dec. 24, 25 and 26. All branches will close at 5 p.m. Dec. 31, New Year’s Eve. The Park Central Branch will reopen from 6-10:30 p.m. as part of Springfield’s First Night festivities. All branches will be closed and the Mobile Library will not run on Jan. 1 and 2.
Find this article at