Medal of Honor Recipients
There are 5 Medal of Honor recipients in the Springfield National Cemetery:
- Sergeant Harrison Collins, Civil War, Company A, 1st Tennessee Cavalry.
- Corporal Orion P. Howe, Civil War Company C, 55th Illinois Infantry.
- Captain Patrick Pentzer, Civil War, Company C, 97th Illinois Infantry.
- Pharmacist's Mate Chief Petty Officer Fred H. McGuire, Action against outlaws-Philippines, 1911, US Navy
- Pharmacist's Mate Third Class Jack Williams, World War II, U.S. Naval Reserve.
At the battle of Wilson's Creek there were 5 Union Soldiers who received the Medal of Honor:
- Private Nicholas Bouquet, Company D, 1st Iowa Volunteer Infantry Regiment.
- Corporal Lorenzo D. Immell, Battery F, 2nd U.S. Artillery Regiment.
- Major John M. Schofield, Chief of Staff to Brigadier General Nathaniel Lyon.
- Lieutenant William Wherry, aide-de-camp to General Lyon.
- Lieutenant Henry Clay Wood, 1st U.S. Infantry Regiment.
The Library has several books about the Medal of Honor and the people who received them. Click on the book cover to find the book in COOLcat:
Find this article at