Read Books in Your Web Browser with OverDrive READ
What is OverDrive Read?
OverDrive Read is a new way of reading eBooks in your web browser. There is no need to download software or transfer files across devices – just open up the web browser on your smartphone, tablet or computer and start reading.
Why read an eBook in a web browser?
Your eBooks are stored in the cloud, which means you can read across a number of different devices and your eBooks will sync so that you don’t lose your place. Modern web browsers will save the books in the browser cache, so you can read even when you're not connected to the internet.
How can I read my eBook when I’m not connected to the Internet?
When eBooks are first opened up in a web browser they cache – or save – for offline access. If there are eBooks you think you might want to read offline we recommend you bookmark them in your web browser when you first open them up. If you’re using an iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch, you can add them to your home screen as web-apps.
What is a web browser, again?
Your web browser is the software you use to browse and search the internet – the most popular browsers are Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Firefox and Safari on the desktop, and Safari (on iOS devices) and Chrome on mobile devices.
How do I find OverDrive READ books?
1. Go to thelibrary.org/overdrive in your web browser.
2. Login before searching to see thousands of eBooks available only to Springfield-Greene County Library cardholders. Click the ‘Sign In’ link. Type your library card number without spaces. Click ‘Sign In.’
3. Filter your search to OverDrive READ format.
4. Click on a book cover to select a book.
5. If an eBook is available for immediate checkout, a darkened icon of an open book will display where the page corner is turned down. If the book is unavailable, this icon will be grayed out.
6. Click the ‘Borrow’ button.
7. You are automatically taken to your ‘Bookshelf.’ Your Bookshelf is where all of your checked out library items are stored.
8. Click ‘Read in Your Browser’ (next to the item).
9. Bookmark the page in your web browser for offline viewing.
Which devices are compatible with OverDrive Read?
Any device with a modern web browser. The latest versions of all major web browsers support the full range of features required for full use of OverDrive Read, including offline support.
Some devices (such as Sony eReaders and Kindle Keyboards) are not ideal as their browsers are too basic. The best way to test if your device is compatible is to try it out with a free sample book.
Supported Browsers Versions
Chrome 7 or higher
Internet Explorer 8 or higher (see note about
Google Chrome below)
Safari 5.0 or higher
Firefox 4 or higher
Opera 11.5 or higher
Can I read eBooks on my iPad – or other iOS devices?
Absolutely. Just open up your OverDrive Read eBook in the Safari web browser. For easy access to your book, either bookmark it or ‘Add to Home Screen.’ Adding to your home screen will make your eBook into a pretty webapp. Bookmarking or adding your eBook to the home screen will also save it for offline reading.
Can I read eBooks on my Kindle, Nook or Sony eReader?
OverDrive Read works with any device that has a modern web browser.
The NOOK and original Kindle Fire use custom browsers. Because of this, OverDrive READ may not function properly.
Some devices (such as Sony eReaders and Kindle Keyboards) are not ideal as their browsers are very basic, while some eReaders don’t have browsers at all.
I’ve changed my mind and want to read my eBook another way.
You can return to your library Bookshelf in your OverDrive account and choose to read your eBook in a different format. A list of available formats for each eBook can be found next to every borrowed title on your Bookshelf by clicking on ‘Download’ next to the title.
Find this article at