April 7, 2009 Election
UPDATE: The results are in!
Elections are being held Tuesday, April 7 in the following Greene County communities:
- CITIES: Ash Grove, Battlefield, Fair Grove, Republic, Rogersville, Springfield, Strafford, Walnut Grove, Willard
- FIRE PROTECTION DISTRICTS: Battlefield, Fair Grove, Logan-Rogersville, Strafford.
- SCHOOL DISTRICTS: R-2 Willard, R-4 Ash Grove, R-5 Walnut Grove, R-6 Strafford, R-8 Logan-Rogersville, R-X Fair Grove, R-12 Springfield, R-5(Polk) Marion C. Early, and R-6(Polk) Pleasant Hope.
All voters in Springfield will be voting for Mayor and General Seats A and B. Voters in northwest Springfield wil select a council member in Zone 1, and Scott Bailes is unopposed in southeast Springfield's Zone 1.
Most of the candidates have their own websites:
- Mayor: Christopher Donegan, Jim O'Neal
- General Seat A: Robert L. "Bob" Stephens, Tom Martz
- General Seat B: John Rush, Fred B. Ellison
- Zone 1: Nicholas Ibarra, Denny Whayne
- Zone 4: Scott Bailes.
The Springfield News-Leader has stories about many of the candidates and issues at Election Central:
- Mayoral candidates split on CIP tax
- Springfield mayor candidates face-off
- Q&A with mayoral candidates
- Mayor--Voices of the Day: Jim O'Neal and Christopher Donegan
- General Seat A: Hopefuls for Seat A differ in city outlook
- General Seat B: Money, staffing among issues
- Zone 1: Whayne, Ibarra describe priorities
- Zone 1: 5 questions with Zone 1 candidates
- Zone 4: Bailes sees trust issues
- School Board: 4 candidates vie for 3 Springfield school board spots
- Fair Grove Fire Protection asks for levy increase
- Lower costs boost [Ash Grove] school bond requests
Two rounds of questions and answers from the candidates for Springfield mayor and city council are posted on the Life of Jason [Wert] blog.
- Mayor: Jim O'Neal (Round 1) (Round 2), Christopher Donegan (Round 1) (Round 2)
- General Seat A: Tom Martz (R1 ) (R2), Robert L. "Bob" Stephens (R1) (R2),
- General Seat B: Fred B. Ellison (R1) (R2), John Rush (R1) (R2)
- Zone 1: Denny Whayne (R1) (R2), Nicholas Ibarra (R1) (R2)
- Zone 4: Scott Bailes (R1) (R2)
The League of Women Voters of Southwest Missouri and the Urban Neighborhoods Alliance are co-sponsoring two forums to meet the candidates:
- Springfield School Board candidates -- March 31, 7 pm, Weaver School, 1461 N.Douglas.
- Springfield Mayoral and City Council candidates -- April 2, 7 pm, Fusion Center, 1321 N Campbell (behind Central Assembly of God).
The Greene County Clerk is the election authority for the county and its political subdivisions and is responsible for conducting all public elections. Information on election procedures is available at the following phone numbers and links:
- 868-4055 Main office and sample ballot of all candidates and issues
- 868-4060 Precinct information and proper identification
- 829-6349 Absentee voting
The Secretary of State also has a Voter Information Lookup to find out if you are registered and where you vote.
Find this article at