Do you have questions about Missouri's new high school equivalency exam? If so, you're in the right place. Read on to find answers to the most frequently asked questions about the HiSET exam.
What is the HiSET?
The HiSET (the High School Equivalency Test) is the new high school equivalency exam for the state of Missouri. The HiSET was created by the Education Testing Service (ETS) and the Iowa Testing Programs. As of January 1, 2014 it will replace the GED.
What happened to the GED?
Recent shifts in how the GED is administered, along with an increase in its cost, led to the Missouri Department of Elementary and Secondary Education's decision to pursue a new high school equivalency exam. HiSET was the final choice.
Is the HiSET more difficult than the GED?
The HiSET should be close to the same level of difficulty as the GED.
How much does the HiSET cost?
The total cost for the HiSET is $95. This includes a $60 administrative fee plus $7 for each of the five subtests. The registration is good for 12 months. Students will be able to retake a subtest up to three times during that 12-month period at a charge of $7 per subtest.
How do I prepare for the HiSET?
There are several resources available for those wishing to study for the HiSET.
- Free classes are offered through OTC's Adult Education & Literacy department. Call 417-447-8860 for more information.
- Everest College also offers free tutoring to the general public. For more information call 417-864-7220.
- Practice tests and sample questions are available at no charge from the HiSET website.
- Or more in-depth practice tests are available for a small fee on the HiSET website.
- The Library will make HiSET test prep materials available to borrow as soon as they became available.
How do I register for the HiSET?
Create a My HiSET account through the HiSET website. After setting up an account you will be able to find a test center in your area and register for the exam.
Where do I take the HiSET?
OTC's Adult Education & Literacy Department is the testing center in Springfield. You can also search for a testing center near you.
How do I learn more?
ETS Customer Service
OTC Testing Services
Find this article at