Teen Dating Violence
The full report, published by California-based watchdog agency Break the Cycle, rates states on their ease of access to legal recourse for domestic violence victims under the age of 18.
Why does Missouri get an "F"? According to the report, there are two main reasons.
- In Missouri, a domestic violence protection order cannot be obtained by anyone under the age of 18.
- In Missouri, a domestic violence protection order cannot be filed against anyone under the age of 18.
Read about what protection orders are and who can get them in Missouri.
Find teen dating violence statistics, victim resources, educational materials, and other resources from the organizations and websites below.
- The National Teen Dating Abuse Hotline offers support, information, and advocacy to teens and young adults involved in abusive relationships as well as to concerned adults and service providers. It can be accessed 24 hours a day by phone (1-866-331-9474 ) or the internet and provides real-time one-on-one support from trained peer advocates.
- Thatsnotcool.com, sponsored by The Family Violence Prevention Fund, is geared toward teens dealing with pressure and disrepect through social networking sites, IM, email, cell phones, and other electronic communication portals.
- WomensLaw.org provides some information for teens on protection orders, what they are, and who can get them, as well as other information on teen dating violence.
- The American Bar Association offers statistics on teen dating violence.
- Legal Services of Missouri has two locations in Springfield: 2872 South Meadowbrook, (417) 881-0533, (800) 444-4863 and 618 N. Robberson, (417) 864-5797.
- The Springfield Regional Girls Shelter, supported by The Children's Foundation of Mid-America, is located at 2740 E Pythian St., (417) 862-9634.
Want to get involved in community action and education regarding teen dating violence? Find links to toolkit downloads, documents, and contacts at loveisrespect.org, breakthecycle.org, and thesafeplace.org.
You can also check out these materials from The Library for more information.
- Teen Safety: Dating and Relationships: Knowledge is the Key to Keeping You Safe (DVD)
- In Love and In Danger: A Teen's Guide to Breaking Free of Abusive Relationships
- Respect: A Girl's Guide to Getting Respect and Dealing When Your Line is Crossed
- Saving Beauty from the Beast: How to Protect Your Daughter from an Unhealthy Relationship
Find this article at