Bicycling in the Ozarks
With all the emphasis lately on "going green" as well as the shaky economy, bicycles are rapidly becoming a source of gas-free transportation as well as inexpensive recreation.
Bicycling to work is not only great for the environment, but personal health as well. If you're thinking about commuting by bike, the city of Springfield has created a map of designated safe routes for you to travel by. The League of American Bicyclists has created a website of commuting tips. Here's a few more things to consider before taking the leap into bike commuting:
It's important to remember however, that bicyclists have to follow the rules of the road just as drivers. There are both statewide and city-wide laws for bicycles. Review them here before you hit the streets!
For recreation, it's hard to beat a bike ride on a beautiful Ozarks evening. If you're looking for a nice relaxing ride in and around Springfield on a wide, well-lit path, the Ozarks Greenways trails are free and open to the public.
Once you feel you've advanced, there are a few larger trails outside of Springfield that many avid bicyclists enjoy.
Three local clubs sponsor group rides and other activities to quench their thirst for riding.
Several shops in town specialize in bicycle sales and service. They have excellent websites you can browse and can answer questions you might have about bicycle maintenance, repair, or purchase!
- Ozark Adventures
- Ridge Runner Sports
- Cycles Unlimited
- A & B Cycle
- Sunshine Bike
- Queen City Cycles
- Springfield Bicycle Co.
The Springfield Greene County Library system has all types of books to feed your bicycle cravings. Check out these great titles on biking.
- The complete idiot's guide to bike maintenance and repair by Terry Meany
- Bicycle Safety by Lucia Raatma
- Ultimate Bicycle Book by Richard Ballantine and Richard Grant
- The everything bicycle book : for bike lovers of all ages! by Roni Sarig
- Urban bikers' tricks & tips : low-tech & no-tech ways to find, ride, & keep a bicycle by Dave Glowacz
- The mountain biker's guide to the Ozarks : Missouri, Arkansas, western Kentucky by Steve Henry
- Mountain bike! : the Ozarks : a guide to the classic trails by Steve Henry
- Show me mountain biking : the complete mountain biker's guide to Missouri by Brett Dufur
- Biking Missouri's rail-trails : where to go, what to expect, how to get there by Shawn Richardson
- The Ozark Trail guidebook : hiking, mountain biking, horseback riding by Margo Carroll and Peggy Welch
- Antique roads of America bicycle guide for Route 66 : 100 photos by Dan Mahnke
- Bicycle : the history by David V. Herlihy
- Around the world on a bicycle by Thomas Stevens
- Into thick air : biking to the bellybutton of six continents by Jim Malusa
Be safe, wear a helmet, and have fun!
Find this article at