COVID-19 and the Library - What You Need To Know
Updated Monday, May 25, 2020
Patrons visiting the Springfield-Greene County Libraries when the buildings reopen at 8:30 a.m. Tuesday, May 26, can be reassured that multiple steps are being taken to ensure their safety and limit the spread of COVID-19.
Adjusted hours will be 8:30 a.m.-6 p.m. Monday-Saturday, closed Sundays, through Aug. 31, at all branches except the Park Central Branch and Fair Grove Branch, which will offer walk-up service only, for the time being. Patrons should call ahead to pick up items on hold.
Library drive-up window service hours, available for holds pick up only, will be adjusted beginning Tuesday, May 26, to 7:30 a.m.-7 p.m. Monday-Saturday, closed Sundays, through Aug. 31. Outdoor book drops will be open 24 hours a day.
Also beginning May 26, services usually provided on the Mobile Library will be provided with the Library van on the normal schedule.
The Library Express West, the 24-hour library kiosk at 3872 W. Chestnut Expressway, reopened on May 18.
Drive-up Service and Returns FAQ
Here's what to expect during a visit to the Library beginning May 26:
- Visitors to the reopened branches will be asked to comply with city and county requirements for social distancing, remaining 6 feet from staff and patrons.
- Each library branch will enforce building occupancy guidelines based on square footage, per city/county orders.
- Returned items at all branches will be quarantined in a separate area of the buildings for 24 hours and cleaned with an EPA-approved solution before being available for checkout.
- Indoor public service desks and drive-up service windows are equipped with acrylic shields and other items for staff and patron safety.
- Due to health concerns, all in-person summer programs such as concerts, storytimes, book discussions and Summer Reading Program performers are canceled, but some will be provided as virtual programming. Check the summer Bookends calendar of events, or thelibrary.org/programs for details.
- All public meetings, and meeting, conference and study room use in branches are canceled through Aug. 31. All reservations for those rooms are canceled, and the SPACES reservation system is suspended.
- Mobile Library service will be provided on the usual schedule using the Library van for the time being.
- Due dates are extended to July on all currently checked-out items from the Library. Materials will be due according to the new date posted on your account. You will not be fined when you return materials by the stated due date.
- Patrons may still access Library Wi-Fi internet 24 hours a day on the Library Express West site and branch parking lots where possible.
- Discovery Center passes checked out from the Library may not be used while the Discovery Center is closed to the public.
- Hot Spots will not be disabled until their new due date.
- Library card expiration dates are extended through June 30.
- Existing temporary cards are valid through June 30.
- No book donations for the Friends of the Library sale will be accepted until further notice. The Friends Spring Book Sale May 27-31 was canceled. The Fall Book Sale dates have been changed to Sept. 16-20, and Friends Night is Sept. 15 at the E*Plex.
- For the time being, the Library has suspended job postings, the job hiring process and volunteer opportunities.
- All other services will be restored later on a staggered basis.
You can always use the Library without coming in, 24 hours a day:
- Browse the collection from your armchair at thelibrary.org/catalog, and you will receive notification when the items are available.
- Access e-books, audiobooks, magazines, movies and music through thelibrary.org/digital.
- You can also read online newspapers, do research and get homework help through thelibrary.org/research.
- Here is a listing of popular online resources provided by the Library.
For more information contact Community Relations Director Kathleen O'Dell at 417-616-0564.
Find this article at