COVID-19 and the Library - What You Need To Know
The Library is continuing to promote health and safety for patrons and staff in light of the coronavirus, COVID-19 pandemic. As a result, all library branches and services are closed through April 24. We continue to evaluate that timeline as the situation evolves.
Here’s what you need to know about your library services during this time.
- All branches and drive-up windows of the Springfield-Greene County Library District are closed effective Tuesday, March 17, at the recommendation of the Springfield-Greene County Health Department.
- All programs and meetings in the buildings and in the community are canceled through April 24.
- All classes at the Edge Community Technology Center are canceled.
- The Library Express West 24-hour kiosk is closed.
- The Mobile Library will not run.
- Walking Books deliveries are suspended.
- All book drops are closed. Please keep your items until the Library reopens.
- We have extended due dates on all currently checked-out items from the Library, Interlibrary Loan and MOBIUS. Old due dates for some items may still show on your account, you will not be fined.
- Patrons may still access Library Wi-Fi internet 24 hours a day on the Library Express West site and branch parking lots where possible.
- All reservations through April 24 for study, conference and meeting rooms are canceled. SPACES reservation system is suspended.
- Discovery Center passes checked out may not be used while the Discovery Center is closed to the public.
- Hot Spots will not be disabled on their due date. You may continue using the Hot Spot through April 24.
- You may place items on hold through thelibrary.org/catalog – except MOBIUS and Interlibrary Loan -- and you will receive notification when the Library reopens and items are available.
- If you have items on hold, they will be saved for you when the Library reopens.
- Library card renewals will be extended to May 15.
- No book donations for the Friends of the Library sale will be accepted at any branch. The Friends Spring Book Sale has been rescheduled for Wednesday, May 27, through Sunday, May 31. Friends Night is tentatively planned for Tuesday, May 26.
- All Library volunteer opportunities are suspended.
- For the time being, the Library is suspending job postings and the job hiring process.
The Library will continue to monitor the news and recommendations of health officials and will evaluate when it is safe to resume Library operations.
You can still use the library, 24 hours a day:
- You can access e-books, audiobooks, magazines, movies and music through thelibrary.org/digital.
- You can also read online newspapers, do research and get homework help through thelibrary.org/research.
- Here is a listing of popular online resources provided by the Library.
You may register for a temporary library card for use while the Library is closed.
For more information contact Community Relations Director Kathleen O'Dell at 417-844-5872 (cell) or 417-616-0564 (office).
Find this article at