Expanded Digital Content to Enjoy During the Summer
Whether you come to the Library when it reopens May 26, or visit online, you still have free access to more audiobooks for all ages, romance novels, e-books and math e-books for children and teens. Many providers of digital resources have expanded your temporary access to help you beat the COVID-19 blues.
Brand New from the Library
- Creativebug is the newest addition to our online resources to improve and enrich your life. It brings you more than 1,000 art and craft classes for all ages taught by expert instructors. Enjoy videos on drawing, sewing, knitting, crocheting, quilting, baking and more. Downloadable patterns, templates and recipes and access to community galleries and forum.
More Than Ever from TumbleBooks
You might be familiar with TumbleBook Library -- e-books for kids -- because the Library has offered access to it for years. But right now, Tumblebooks has opened up access to additional resources through August 31, 2020. Some of these are for all ages and may have more appeal to adults. (No library card required.)
- AudioBookCloud.com: audiobooks for all ages
- RomanceBookCloud.com: a huge collection of romance novels
- TeenBookCloud.com: e-books for grades 7-12
- TumbleMath.com: math e-books for grades K-6
- TumbleBookLibrary: children's e-books for grades K-6
No apps or downloading necessary, just click the links in your browser and start reading.
Now From Home
- Genealogy research is a popular activity in our community and Ancestry Library Edition is one of our most used databases. It's only ever been available for use in the library itself. Thankfully, ProQuest and Ancestry have partnered to allow us to offer remote access to this valuable resource temporarily. All you'll need is your Library card.
- Foundation Directory Online is an excellent resource for nonprofits and those seeking grant funding for their endeavors. Typically only available at the Library Center, the Foundation Center is offering a subset of that resource remotely. Foundation Directory Online Essential gives you access to more than 103,000 private, community, operating, and company-sponsored foundations in the U.S. and their keyword-searchable IRS Forms 990-PF.
Free Trials Abound
- Scribd is offering a free, month-long trial of its subscription reading service. Check out a catalog of e-books, audiobooks, magazines, and music. Download the mobile app for your smartphone or tablet or access from your computer's browser.
- Audible is offering its stories collection while schools are closed. No sign-up required, just click and start listening to audiobooks. While much of the content is geared toward kids, you might find a literary classic you always meant to read. All you need is a device with a web browser and an internet connection.
- Amazon is offering a 2-month-free trial of Kindle Unlimited, if activated before August 31. This gives you access to a wide selection of e-books, magazines, and Audible audiobooks. You don't need a Kindle to make use of this, but you must be a first-time subscriber, and you will be required to create an account and enter credit card information. Be sure to cancel before the end of two months if you don't want to continue, or be charged.
- Mango Languages is a favorite around the Library -- try it out if you're interested in picking up some foreign language skills in your downtime.
- Want to get some serious learning in over the next month? Give Great Courses Plus a try -- free for a month with the promo code DAILY. Watch video courses taught by experienced professors on science, travel, food & wine, religion, mathematics, and many more! This one also requires a form of payment during the sign up process (cancel anytime), but once signed up, you can access in your computer's browser or download an app to your smartphone or tablet. It even works with some TV-connected devices like Apple TV and Roku for easier family viewing.
Need Some Suggestions?
- Library staff have suggested some of their favorite reads that are available digitally, compiled by Heather C., one of our reference managers. Take a look at the curated list of e-books and audiobooks grouped by audience and you're sure to find a new favorite too!
- We're still offering personalized reader's advisory online. Get customized recommendations based upon your tastes by using Your Next Read.
Find this article at