Schools for Sale
School Properties for Sale
"The board of education is offering land and buildings for sale as follows:
- The portable building at McGregor School.
- The portable or small house at Berry School.
- The portable at Waddill School.
- Two sheds at the Reed Junior High School.
- The building and land known as Phelps school, corner of Kimbrough Avenue and Cherry Street.
- The building and land located south of Atlantic Street, between Boonville and Campbell Streets, known as the Rogers School.
"Sealed bids will be received by the board of education until Monday June 18, 1923, 4 o’clock p.m. A separate bid for each proposition.
"The right is reserved by the board to reject any or all bids. In each case the purchaser is to remove the buildings promptly. All expenses for removal to be paid by the purchaser.
"Any proposition accepted by the board is to be a cash sale. If further information is desired telephone 1273.”
Republican, June 2, 1923
The Waddill School, pictured above, was located at 1000 E. Dale Street in the 1923 City Directory and would have been on the northwest corner of Travis and Dale Streets today. Rogers School was located approximately where Lafayette Park is now. Phelps School was on the northeast corner of Cherry and Kimbrough.
The other schools are located at or near their present locations, McGregor on Fort, Berry on Division.
Reed Junior High was not included on Sanborn Maps of Missouri in 1910 but is at the present location of Atlantic and Lyon in the 1933 Sanborn Map. The Waddill School photograph above is courtesy of Springfield-Greene County Library District.
Find this article at