A Directory of Towns, Villages, and Hamlets
Past and Present
of Butler County, Missouri

A - L

Compiled by Arthur Paul Moser

[1] Alfrey
See Alfrey's Heading Factory. (--Place Names.)
Alfrey's Heading Factory
It was established in 1890, just outside the south limits of Poplar Bluff, by Fremont Alfrey, the proprietor and manager from Crawfordville, Indiana. It was connected with the I. M. & S. R. R., and with the Frisco R. R., at points known as Alfrey's Switch for the factory manager. Shortened after 1910 to Alfrey. The Young Handle Factory now (1945) occupies a part of the old stave yards. (--Place Names.)
Alfrey's Switch
See Alfrey's Heading Factory. (--Place Names.)
Alley Oop
A small club house on Mill Creek, near Black River in a good hunting and section of Wildwood, owned by M. Weyestead of Cape Girardeau and named for Hamlin's comic strip "Alley Oop", now (1945) shown in the Poplar Bluff Daily Republican and other papers. (--Place Names.)
A switch on the Mo. Pac. R. R., 9 miles south of Poplar Bluff. D. W. Hill, a prominent lawyer of Poplar Bluff, owned a large farm nearby which he stocked with Aberdeen Angus Cattle about 1910. A Mr. Shackleford, who managed the farm, and Mr. Hill changed the name to Angus. It was formerly known as Eastwood Switch (q. v.). (--Place Names.)

Angus is located at Section 23, Township 23 N, Range 5 E, on an unmarked county road between Highway 67 & BB. Unless otherwise noted, all map descriptions are from this General Highway Map of Butler Co., issued by the Missouri State Highway Department, 41-72.

Ashcroft Addition
The southeast part of Poplar Bluff, west of Black River, which grew up around the Ashcroft Mill (q. v.). In 1913, forty acres were platted by Joseph Ashcroft of the mill, and land owners John and Henry Macon, who gave the name Ashcroft-Macon Addition, but the public soon dropped the Macon part of the name, no doubt having in mind only the mill there. It was often called Dog Town because there were so many dogs in the village. (--Place Names.)


Ashcroft-Macon Addition
See Ashcroft Addition. (--Place Names.)
Ashcroft Mill
See Bimel-Ashcroft Mill. (--Place Names.)
Ash Hills
A station of the C. A. & T. R. R., 10 miles east of Poplar Bluff. (--Gazetteer of Missouri, p. 85.)

It was located at Sections 30 & 31, Township 25 N, Range 8 E, on Highway 60.

Ash Hill
A shortened form which has replaced "Ash Hills" (q. v.) for the post-office and town. The "s" was probably dropped by the Postal Authorities. (--Place Names.)
Ash Hills
A saw mill and community in Ash Hill Township, named by R. Restow about 1870 because of the many sandy elevations covered with Ash timber. (--Place Names.)
Ash Hills
A post-office and station on the "Cat" R. R., 8 miles east of Poplar Bluff. It grew to be a town of about 300 during the timber days, but it declined as the business moved to Fisk. It was established by the R. R., about 1872 and named for the old saw mill community of Ash Hill (post-office). (--Place Names.)

Bailey (or Bailey's)

See Bailey's End. (--Place Names.)
Bailey's End
A saw mill village situated on what was, about 1890, the southern terminus of the Butler Co. R. R. William Bailey managed the mill for the H. D. Cooperage Company. By 1900, when the railroad was extended farther south, the station was shortened by popular usage to Bailey, now Brosely (q. v.). (--Place Names.)


Ball's Mill
See Kremlin Mill. (--Place Names.)
The Barren's
A large section in the west part of Beaver Dam Township on open country timbered, but earlier there was no underbrush. Formerly a good grazing ground for cattle. (--Place Names.)
A discontinued switch junction on the "Cat" R. R., south of Poplar Bluff. When Mr. W. M. Barron, attorney and manager for the B. C. R. R., interceding for the timber interests, asked that a station be established there for loading logs, his request was granted and the railroad officials gave it his name about 1907. (--Place Names.)
A station and discontinued post-office on the old Palmer R. R. (now a highway), 2 miles north of Brosely. Quite a little timber village in the '80's and '90's, but only a store, a filling station, and one old dwelling house remain. Charles Langlotz, a mechanical engineer for Lowell M. Palmer, gave the name in 1899 for Horace Bates, a landowner. Now known in that vicinity as Old Batesville. (--Place Names.)

It was 7 miles south of Nye and 12 miles north of Qulin. (--The State of Missouri, in 1904, p. 339.) (Section 30, Township 24 N, Range 8 E; Sec. 25, Twp. 24 N, Range 7 E, Highway 51, north of Broseley).

Batterton's Mill
It was named for Sanford Batterton, a merchant in Poplar Bluff for several years in the last years of the 19th century. Previously a landowner who operated a saw mill in Beaver Dam Township, and kept a post-office for a short time. Doubtless the post-office was Fredie (q. v.). (--Place Names.)
Bear Wallow
A large pond upon a high elevation, 2 miles south of Karens. During the pioneer days many bears actually went there to wallow. (--Place Names.)


A discontinued post-office in the northeast part of Beaver Dam Township, on the route from Poplar Bluff, and kept by "Doc" (who had considerable knowledge of medicine) Belcher, father of George Belcher, who lived near the Powers Mill. (--Place Names.)

It was seven and one-half miles southwest of Roxie, or fifteen and one-half miles southwest of Poplar Bluff. (--The State of Missouri, in 1904, p. 399.)

A railroad station on the Mo. Pac. R. R., about 6 miles south of Poplar Bluff, as shown on Campbell's map of 1874. No one was found who knew of the place, but it is very probable that it was named for George H. Benton, whom Goodspeed described as the attorney for the Mo. Pac. R. R., in St. Louis. He was later placed in charge of their interests in Southeast Missouri. (--Place Names.)
Bethel Church
A Missionary Baptist Church, 1/2 mile south of its original location, 2-1/2 miles west of Harviell on Highway 67. The church was organized by the Rev. Arthur Conner, about 1872, and named for his boyhood church, Bethel, in Lawrence County, Tennessee. According to one informant, the Rev. Conner suggested the name; another says the name was offered by Aaron Tomlin, a blacksmith and shoemaker, who came from Texas. Some other leading charters were Rev. and Mrs. Washington Powers, Henry and Sis Tomlin, Joel Cochran, and Albert Ponder. Soon after the organization two old freed slaves, "Uncle" Harrison and "Aunt Jane", upon their request were accepted as members. "Nigger" Harrison and his two sons did much of the heavy work in erecting the old log house. A familiar Bible name, meaning "house of God", cf. Genesis 28:19. (--Place Names.)

Big Island (referred to in Doolen's Pasture)

That portion of Ash Hill Township lying between Dan and Black Rivers. This topographical and physical name was given by the early pioneers. (--Place Names.)
[5]Bimel-Ashcroft Mill
A large factory near the southeast city limits of Poplar Bluff, built in 1902, by Indiana capitalists of whom Fred Bimel of Portland, Indiana, and Joseph Ashcroft of the Lambertville Spoke Manufacturing Company at Lambertville, New Jersey, were the chief members and managers. Mr. Ashcroft came to Poplar Bluff in 1902 as manager of this factory, which was one of eighteen such factories in five states. In 1912, Mr. Bimel died, the Lambertville Spoke Manufacturing Company became involved in financial troubles, and Mr. Ashcroft purchased the big business. Then the members of the company that had paid Mr. Ashcroft 12-1/2 cents an hour, now asked to be enrolled as his employees. The Ashcroft Mill made spokes and other parts for vehicles, shipped to foreign markets during the First World War and afterwards, and has continued a flourishing business at home and abroad, even during the depression years of 1930-35. At the present time (1945) they are shipping to England only. (--Place Names.)
Black River
This is not to be confused with the stream of the same name. It is a discontinued post-office established in 1860 at Keene's Ferry on Black River, from which it is named. The mail handled here by a farmer, named Cain, was brought horseback from Ironton, Missouri. (--Place Names.)
Blue Springs
The bluish color of the water is suggestive of these small springs northeast of Rombauer. A few years ago (as of 1945), Ed George planned a pleasure resort for the place, but only a large beautiful house was completed. (--Place Names.)
Blue Springs No. 1
A saw mill village and station near Blue Springs Slough, east of Poplar Bluff on the "Cat" R. R., during the 1880's and 90's, when William Ferguson and W. H. Wheeler had huge timber interests in that vicinity. Named for the slough (q. v.). (--Place Names.)
Blue Springs No. 2
Another one of the mill villages, 1 mile east of Blue Springs No. 1 (q. v.). It was later called Junland. (--Place Names.)


Blue Springs Slough
A slough in St. Francis and Ash Hills Township. It is now drained by ditches No's. 10 and 12. It was fed by Blue Springs (q. v.). (--Place Names.)
The Bluff
See Poplar Bluff. (--Place Names.)
An abandoned saw mill village on the Mo. Pac. R. R., 2 miles north of Neelyville, where William T. Booser and sons operated a mill for about four years. (--Place Names.)
Listed as a post-office by Goodwin's Gazetteer of Mo., 1867, p. 45. It is also shown on the 1862 postal list, but not that of 1873. Mr. Hudgens explains that there was a "right smart" little village there in the early days, where James Brannum and family, with their slaves, operated a large farm, ran the mill, and had a store. (--Place Names.)
Brannum School
The old log school house, built by the early settlers and named for James Brannum. Used for school and church where Methodists and Baptists lived peaceably. Two pioneer preachers: Elias Brannum, the Methodist preacher and son of James, and the Baptist preacher, Washington Powers, step-son-in-law of James Brannum, often conducted joint services. When the church doors were opened, the Baptist preacher would stand on one side of the pulpit and the Methodist on the other side to receive the new members. The old school was later divided into Forest Grove, Maple Hill and Pleasant Hill Schools. (--Place Names.)
Brannum's Mill
The first grist mill in what is now Butler Co., on Little Black River. Set up by James Brannum for whom see above. It was later known as Ball's Mill (q. v.) and Kremlin Mill (q. v.). (--Place Names.)
Brush Arbor
It was in the northwest part of the county near the Carter and Wayne County lines.

It was located at Section 17, Township 26 N, Range 4 E, at the intersection of two unmarked county roads.


Brooklyn Cooperage Plant

Another name, by which the Palmer Plant was known; for the name of the eastern company that owned it. When the timber, chiefly gum and oak, were exhausted, the mill was moved to South Carolina in 1925. (--Place Names.)
A small town, formerly Bailey's End, about 9 miles southeast of Poplar Bluff, on the B. C. R. R. When the post-office was established in 1915, the Postal Authorities would not accept the name, whereupon Mr. Barron, manager of the B. C. R. R., offered the name of Broseley in Shropshire, England, a place near which Mr. and Mrs. Barron were reared. (--Place Names.)

It is located at Section 31, Township 34 N, Range 8 E, and Section 36, Township 34 N, Range 7 E, junction of Highways CC & 51.

Brown's Mill
See Kremlin Mill. (--Place Names.)
Bumpus Store
On Highway 60, 3 miles east of Poplar Bluff, William Bumpus from Kentucky, a landowner in the vicinity, has operated the store for several years. (--Place Names.)
Burkett's Mill
A saw mill, near Keener Spring, recently operated by Robert Keeter. (--Place Names.)
Calvin Spur
A saw mill camp on the Frisco R. R., northeast of Poplar Bluff. Named for Charles Calvin, who came from Wayne County, Illinois, in 1889 and served as timber agent for the Palmer Plant. He was later judge of the county. (--Place Names.)
Cave Creek Settlement
A community northwest of Poplar Bluff where the first settlements were made in what is now Butler Co., in 1819, by the Kittrell's from Kentucky. Other early settlers were Thomas Scott, Malachi Hedspeth, Daniel Epps, Martin Sandlin, and Samuel Hillis. But family Bible dates and grave stone dates disprove the statement by Mr. Deem and Douglas that Solomon Kittrell was the first Kittrell settler. (--Place Names.)

It was 8 miles northwest of Poplar Bluff. (--The State of Missouri, in 1904, p. 339.)


Cherokee Bay Road (Butler & Ripley Counties)

A noted old pioneer road extending southwest from the Military Road (q. v.), from the Cane Creek Settlement through Naylor, Ripley Co. (q. v.), to the old Cherokee Indian Settlement in North Arkansas, called Cherokee Bay. From Hauck's Map, II 272, it appears to be a part of the Old Natchitoches Path. The road has recently received considerable improvement and is used extensively. (--Place Names.)
A German settlement made in the 1870's on the site formerly known as Gillis Bluff (q. v.). Charles Hendrix, Sr., a citizen of Poplar Bluff, bought a large section of land in that vicinity and induced a hundred immigrants to come from Saxony to develop farms there. They had a steam boat named Carola, and from its name the village was known. (--Place Names.)

It was 7-1/2 miles southwest of Qulin. (--The State of Missouri, in 1904, p. 339.)

It is located at Section 17, Township 22 N, Range 7 E, on Highway N.

Carola School
(This school is referred to in Dusch's Store).

It was named for the village near by (q. v.). Later known as Upper Carola School. (--Place Names.)

Collins Store
A small general store, filling station and blacksmith shop 7 miles north of Poplar Bluff on Rural Route 3. It was established in 1921 by G. H. Collins on his farm. (--Place Names.)
A provision station on the Ruth and Hargrove Tram R. R., about 1920. Three Collins families, Mack, Henry and Shirley lived there, besides several other families. (--Place Names.)
Coon Island
Although not a town, still it deserves a place in this directory. A large section of formerly swampy land in the south part of the county between Cave Creek and Still Camp Slough. The name was given by the early trappers and hunters because of the many raccoons found there. The old story goes that the name originated during a very high water season when the whole county was inundated except an elevated portion which was seen entirely covered with raccoons. (--Place Names.)


Crane Roost
A section of very swampy country north of Fisk in Butler County, and in Stoddard County, where the white cranes were very numerous. A very profitable, but unhealthful industry of the earlier days was the gathering of the plumes where the birds had roosted. (--Place Names.)
An abandoned saw mill village on the Frisco R. R., northeast of Rombauer. It took the name of John Dale, a great timber merchant in Southeast Missouri during the timber days. (--Place Names.)
A post-office in the vicinity of Fagus, shown on a 1907 map. Mrs. Colter remembers that there was a school over in Arkansas by this name. Mrs. Garver remembers an elderly lady of this name who kept the office. Mr. Gunnels says it was kept in the home on the Potter farm. Doubtless it is a family name. (Cf. Daniels River). (--Place Names.)
Daniels River
The old bed of a portion of Black River in Ash Hill Township. Because of drainage and natural filling, this old bayou has almost disappeared. It took the name of the Daniels family who came to the vicinity as the first settlers during the hunting and trapping days about 1820. Recently known by the abbreviated name of Dan River. (--Place Names.)
Davidson Mill
It was near Wilby. Davidson is an old family name of the community. It doubtless was one of the earliest grist mills in the vicinity. (--Place Names.)
Dog Town
A mill camp on a short spur of the B. C. R. R., west of Broseley during the timber days; so named because nearly every family had a dog, some of which were used for hunting. (--Place Names.) See Ashcroft Addition.

Doniphan and Poplar Bluff Road (Butler and Ripley Counties)

The early road connecting the two towns. Parts of the road are now Highways 67 & 42. (--Place Names.)


See Doolen's Pasture. (--Place Names.)
Doolen's Pasture
This name is shown in Section 16, on what is now Big Island (q. v.) on the plat of 1859. In Section 15 is the name of Doolen's. Unquestionably this is the name of a man who made an early settlement there. (--Place Names.)
Dusch's Store
A general country store and filling station, established in June, 1933, near the Carola School, by Mrs. S. E. Dusch. (--Place Names.)
Eidelman Spring
See Kenner Spring. (--Place Names.)
Elder Spring
It is near Black River School. Named for the elder shrubs that grew around the spring. (--Place Names.)
A station and saw mill camp on the B. C. R. R., where the Empire Lumber Company operated saw mills during the timber days. Nothing remains but a farm, the Empire Dairy Farm (1945). (--Place Names.)
A village and post-office in Gillis Bluff Township on the B. C. R. R., formerly a mill camp, "Slap Out" (q. v.). The name suggested by Mr. Barron, is the Latin and botanical term for beech. Beech trees were comparatively rare, although they were found in groups of two or three, and occasionally singly. (--Place Names.)

It is located at Sections 35 & 36, Township 22 N, Range 7 E, at the junction of Highways 51 & N.

Ferguson Switch
A logging switch established on the Mo. Pac. R. R., near Neelyville, during the early timber days. William Ferguson and George Wheeler owned saw mills in various places, one of the largest being at Corning, Ark., which was supplied with logs chiefly from Butler Co. At one of the largest purchases, William Ferguson bought for this mill over one million feet of logs from Mr. C. H. Hargrove, logging manager for the Hargrove Ruth Company. (--Place Names.)


A small town on the "Cat" R. R., near the St. Francois River. Samuel J. Fisk operated, for a Mr. Garetson and Mr. Greason, saw mills in thet community on both sides of the river, and was postmaster of Poplin, the little village and railroad station across the river in Stoddard County. The citizens petitioned that the post-office be moved over into Butler Co., and named the place Fisk for the mill man. Soon Poplin disappeared. (--Place Names.)

It was 7 miles northeast of Poplar Bluff, or 5 miles west of Dudley (Stoddard Co.). (--The State of Missouri, in 1904, p. 339.)

Fisk is located at Sections 28 & 29, Township 25 N, Range 8 E, at the junction of Highways DD & 60.

It was a post-office 12 miles southwest of Poplar Bluff. (--Gazetteer of Missouri, Campbell, 1874, p. 85.)

It is a discontinued post-office about 3 miles northwest of Harwiell (q. v.). It was on the old "horse-back" mail route extending from Harviell to Fredie, on by Fairdealing to Gamburg (Ripley Co.), then by Kremlin Mills back to Harviell. Before the Civil War, Joseph Rushin had a distillery at Round Pond (q. v.). After the Civil War, Fred Smizer from St. Louis bought the farm, now (1945) known as the Price farm, northeast of Bethel Church (q. v.). He built an unusually good house for that day and community, discontinued the still, and set up a store where the post-office was established. It was given the diminutive form of his name. Later he returned to St. Louis, and the post-office was kept by Anderson Ward in his home for a time. (--Place Names.)

Gaines Switch
It was established in the early 1900's, on the Frisco R. R. 2 miles north of Naylor. A Mr. Gaines operated a saw mill here, and lumber and ties were loaded. It was one of the many mill and timber villages. (--Place Names.)

Gentzen School (later known as Kelly School)

A name given to the old Qulin School (q. v.) when it was moved a mile to the farm owned by William Gentzen from Germany, a brother-in-law of Judge Kelly. (--Place Names.)


German Settlement
This name is shown on Parker's map, 1865, and Campbell's Atlas of 1873, for a place northwest of Poplar Bluff. In this community are families of German descent whose ancestors came soon after the Civil War, among whom are Van Dover, Patty, Freer, Boxx, Eudaly, Ruebottom, Wisecarver and Walton. (--Place Names.)
Gilliams Ferry
During the Civil War, John J. Gilliam, later county judge (1865-1866), operated the ferry near Indian Ford, where the Frisco R. R. crosses the St. Francis River. He sold the ferry to John Friend who operated it, and whose name it acquired. It was later changed to Hodges Ferry (q. v.). (--Place Names.)
Gillis Bluff
It is situated on Black River, 27 miles southeast of Poplar Bluff, and 2 miles north of State Line, has 1 store, and is remarkable as being the traditional place where the Indians discovered silver ore. (--Gazetteer of Missouri, p. 85.)

Gillis Bluff is an old river port on Black River. Before the Civil War, a man by the name of Gillis came up the river and made a settlement on the first low bluffs. Later known as Carola (q. v.). From this old trading post furs were shipped to Europe. Listed by Campbell's Gazetteer of Missouri, p. 20, as a post-office. (--Place Names.)

Greenville and Doniphan Road (Wayne, Butler, and Ripley Counties)

The first "three notch road" in this section was made about 1852 and led from Greenville, in Wayne County, to Poplar Bluff, and then over the hills to Doniphan. Main Street of Poplar Bluff is a part of this old road. Tradition has it that this road was measured with a grapevine. (--Place Names.)
A post-office near the Halloram School (q. v.), from which it was named. (--Place Names.)

It was 9 miles northwest of Cave Creek, or 17 miles northwest of Poplar Bluff. (--The State of Missouri, in 1904, p. 339.)


Halloram School
It is in the northwest part of Epps Township, near Ten Mile Creek. It took the name of an early Irish settler from New Hampshire, James A. Halloram, who, Mr. Harmon explained, was the leader of a party of Irish who came to America in 1852 and then on into Butler Co., in 1856. Patrick Harmon and a Mr. Whalen were in the group also. (--Place Names.)
It was near the center of St. Francis Township. Although there was no town, post-office, or store, the community has been known by this name for the four brothers, John, James, Steve, and Rev. William Ham, who came from Illinois with their families soon after the Civil War. They had lived in Callaway County, Mo., before the War. (--Place Names.)
Hart's Switch
An abandoned station on the Mo. Pac. R. R., 2-1/2 miles north of Neelyville, where H. H. Hart owned land and operated mills during the timber days. (--Place Names.)
A small town about 8 miles south of Poplar Bluff, established by the Mo. Pac. R. R., about 1873, and named it for Simson Harviell, who owned a large tract of land in the community. (--Place Names; The State of Missouri, in 1904, p. 339.)

It was located at Sections 1, 12, Township 23 N, Range 5 E, at the junction of Highways 158 & BB.

Harviell Store
Before the Civil War, Simeon Harviell kept a store near Cave Creek at what is now known as Nickey Bridge. Merchandise was brought by oxen-drawn wagons from Cape Girardeau and Ste. Genevieve. (--Place Names.)
Harviell Township
It was formed from Beaver Dam Township, in November, 1886, and named for Simeon Harviell, a large land owner. When the townships were relocated in 1871, it was divided among Poplar Bluff, Neely, Beaver Dam, and Coon Island Townships. (--Place Names.)


Hathaway Station
Evidently the place mentioned by Goodspeed, as the business place of Geo. Glass (b. 1841), "dealer in timber, bolts, piling, logs, etc." and "a large land owner of Neelyville Township", was named for some earlier land owner, as court records show S. L. Hathaway taking action with the county November 29, 1881, making application to enter swampland. Mrs. Zimmerman explained that Simpson Hathaway, an elderly man (who lived in Arkansas 3 miles from the State Line) at his death, about 1921, formerly had a woodyard and tie-yard here when the Mo. Pac. R. R. was being built. Remarking of his character, she said his only mean word was "Ay Judas". The name was later changed to Moark, and evidently was moved slightly, for that name is given to a place on the Arkansas side at the present time. (--Place Names.)
A mill village, now lost, about 3 miles south of Fisk, shown on a 1912 map. Named for Reuben Hayes, who operated the mill there. (--Place Names.)
H. D. Williams Cooperage Factory
A large stave mill near the south limits of Poplar Bluff, during the timber days. Mr. Williams was the manager. It was destroyed by fire December 15, 1901. Earlier it was operated by the American Stave and Cooperage Company, and was previous to that, by the F. G. Oxley Stave Company when it was known as Oxley Stave Company. (--Place Names.)
See Reeves Station. (--Gazetteer of Missouri, p. 85.)

It is located at Section 13, Township 26 N, Range 26 N, Range 5 E, at the junction of Highways 67 & O.

Hendrickson, a town in the northwest part of Black River Township, on the Mo. Pac. R. R., about one mile east of Reeve's Station (q. v.). Established by the railroad in 1873 and named for Nathan Hendrickson, who owned a large tract of land there, and according to Eaton (p. 265), was of Danish descent. The indication of iron mentioned by Campbell, Gazetteer of Missouri (1874, 85), has not been worked very extensively. (--Place Names.)

It was 13 miles northwest of Poplar Bluff, or 2-1/2 miles southeast of Keener. (--The State of Missouri, in 1904, p. 339.)


Hickory Mill
Also known as the Oilwell Supply Mill and Higgins Mill. Its operations were begun in the 1890's under the management of J. B. Higgins and the supervision of the Oil Well Supply Co., of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. After it burned, the Bemel-Ashcroft Mill (q. v.) was built there. It almost exhausted the nearby hickory timber in the manufacture of sucker rods and other supplies needed in drilling oil wells. (--Place Names.)
See Hicoria Spur. (--Place Names.)
Hicoria Spur
A small village, now lost, northwest of Qulin on a short branch of the B. C. R. R. It was named by Mr. Barron and Charles Langlotz, because of the abundance of "shagbark" hickory trees formerly growing in that section. Mr. Barron explained that Hicoria is the botanical name for the hickories and that shell bark hickory is Hicoria Ovata, and that big shell bark is Hicoria Laciniosa. The name is Latin. The station is also known as Hicoria. (--Place Names.)
Higgins Mill
See Hickory Mill. (--Place Names.)
A post-office listed by Polk's Gazetteer of Missouri, of 1883, p. 88. Mr. Martin explained that it was the name of the earlier post-office at Hillard Switch (q. v.), but nothing could be found of the origin of the name. (--Place Names.)
See Hilliard. (--Place Names.)


A post-office and station, 7 miles north of Poplar Bluff, established and named by the ST. L. I. M. R. R., officials for Hills Yard (q. v.). The postal authorities shortened the form to Hillard, but the old spelling remains for the station. (--Place Names.)

Also, see The State of Missouri, in 1904, p. 339.

It is located at Section 16, Township 25 N, Range 6 E, on Highway W.

Hilliard Switch
An earlier name for Hilliard (q. v.). (--Place Names.)
Hill's Yard
In 1869, George W. Hill came from Washington Co., Ark., and bought a large tract of heavy timberland north of Poplar Bluff. He established a wood yard when the Mo. Pac. R. R. was built and furnished the company with fuel until they began using coal. On page 1090, Goodspeed spells the name Hillyard. (--Goodspeed, 1090 and 1077; History of Southeast Missouri.)
Hodge's Ferry
On the St. Francis River, near the present crossing of the Frisco R. R., Darius Hodge, a wealthy land owner in Stoddard Co., had a store and ferry there at least forty years ago (Ca. 1905). (--Place Names.)
Holley's Mill
One of the many saw mills of the timber days. It was near the B. C. R. R., southeast of Morocco (q. v.), and was operated by a man of this name. (--Place Names.)
Honeycutt Mill.
See Howell Mill. (--Place Names.)
Horstman Store
In 1866 or 1867 Harvey H. Horstman set up a cotton gin and grist mill on Menorkenut Slough, about 2 miles east of the present site of Brosely (q. v.). He also had a store; when the railroad was built, he moved to Ash Hill. (--Place Names.)


Howell Mill
The name first given to the old grist mill at Keener's Spring more than fifty years ago (as of 1945). Levi Carpenter deeded the mill site to a Mr. Howell from Bardwell, Kentucky, to get a mill built. Soon Mr. Turk and the neighbors gave financial aid. After a few years, Mr. Howell went back to the old home state and left the mill to Mr. Turk, whose name was soon given for it. In later years, Mr. Honeycutt from Kentucky operated the mill which took his name. Only the ruins of the old mill dam still remain. Later it was known as the Reeves Mill (q. v.). (--Place Names.)
A station on the Doniphan R. R., earlier called Hubbell's for the mill and land owner who lived nearby. (--Place Names.)
See Hubbell. (--Place Names.)
A post-office at Bailey's End (q. v.). Two informants of the vicinity say that Richard Hunt got the post-office and kept it in a small store belonging to John Funk, but Mr. Myrant says that Alfred Hunt kept it in his home for a while. Both statements are possibly true, because so many early post-offices were often moved. (--Place Names.)

It was south of Batesville. (--Map of Western States, 1911, Rand, McNally & Co.)

A discontinued post-office about 3 miles north of Bailey (q. v.). It is a feminine Christian name. The informants say that Mr. Hayden, who lived in the vicinity of Junland, which would be near this place had a daughter of this name, but no definite connection between the personal name and the post-office has been found. (--Place Names.)
Another of the lost mill camps, on the B. C. R. R., near Fagus (q. v.). The Latin and botanical name for holly was given by Mr. W. N. Barron, who says "holly does not occur in the bottom lands of this section", but a few older residents say that an occasional tree was found; possibly these few were not indigenous. (--Place Names.)


Indian Ford
Colton's 1870 map shows two Indian Fords. One is near the Wayne-Butler border; another, near where the Frisco R. R. now crosses the St. Francis River, farther south. Here Gilliam's Ferry (q. v.) was established. (--Place Names.)
Indian Ford
Another Indian Ford. See William's Ferry. (--Place Names.)

Inlo (or Inlow)

A post-office near Blue Springs (q. v.) on the "Cat" R. R., shown of Houck's map (Houck I 72). A family of that name lived there when the Ferguson and Wheeler Mills were in operation in that section. Mr. Martin says that John Johnson had a store there and kept the post-office, and Mr. Sutherland said a family of this name lived there. Doubtless it is a family name. (--Place Names.)
It was a short distance east of Poplar Bluff. (--Map of Western States, 1911, Rand, McNally & Co.)
Johnson Mills
Large lumber mills operated by M. A. Johnson in the northwest part of the county during the 1880's. Mr. Johnson was almost as great a timber man in Butler County as Mr. Holliday in Wayne Co. (--Place Names.)
An abandoned station on the "Cat" R. R., about 6 miles east of Poplar Bluff. When the mill village, Blue Springs No. 2 (q. v.) was made a station, the railroad officials gave the name because it "was surely in the jungles". A shortened from of Jungleland. (--Place Names.)

It was located at Sections 34 & 35, Township 25 N, Range 7 E, at the junction of Highways 60 & YY.


A station and post-office on the Mo. Pac. R. R., named by the officials for Ephraim B. Keener, who gave the right-of-way for the road. He came from North Carolina, and took up 1000 acres of land in what is now Butler and Wayne Counties. A considerable village grew up during the timber days, as there were seven mills there in succession, but it has declined greatly since the mills have gone. Shown in Postal Guides from 1886 to 1891 as Keener's and as Keener in 1895 ff. Doubless "Keener's" originated with the mills, the chief interest of the village, and the postal authorities made the usual shortened form. (--Place Names.)
Kelly School
The early school, said to have been established in the early 1890's, 3/4 mile from the present site of Qulin (q. v.). It was named for Alfred Kelly, who had come from Tennessee in 1868 and settled near Ash Hills (q. v.). Later he bought 120 acres in the vicinity of present Qulin from Charles P. Chouteau of St. Louis. Here he was a progressive citizen, and got a post-office established, which he kept in his home. He gave to it the name Qulin (q. v.). He was a county judge of the Eastern District (1884-1886), the first Republican judge in the county. The old school house burned and the new school, erected about 2 miles from the present Qulin was named Qulin School for the post-office in the Kelly home. Later, this building burned, and the new school came to be called Gentzen (q. v.).
Kelly Town
The south suburb of Poplar Bluff, on the west side of the Mo. Pac. R. R., about thirty years ago (from 1945). Joe Kelly, a barber who later was in the real estate business in Poplar Bluff, bought the tract of land and laid it out in lots. Many of the residents are employed in the mills in that vicinity. (--Place Names.)
A discontinued post-office which Eaton says was named for R. C. Kerens, a former resident of St. Louis. Local residents say a Mr. Kerens had a store here for a while and kept the post-office near Eureka School. (--Place Names.)
A large lumber village, now gone, east of Poplar Bluff, on the "Cat" R. R. Isaac Kinzer of Pennsylvania, began the timber business there for the Keystone Lumber Co., in the early 1870's. Harry Kinzer succeeded his father as manager. (--Place Names.)


Kittrell Store
Solomon Kittrell, one of the first settlers of what is now Butler County, came with his family and elderly father, Samuel Kittrell, who lived only a short time, from Kentucky, in 1891, and settled on Cave Creek near Wah Branch, with only Indians for their neighbors. He soon set up a trading-post and general store, bringing his goods by ox-wagons from Cape Girardeau. Here he did a good business with the Indians and pioneer hunters and trappers. Mr. Van Dover says he had a grist mill on Cave Creek. (--Place Names.)
A discontinued post-office at Kremlin Mill, on the route from Harviell by Fredie post-office and Gamburg post-office (q. v.). (--Place Names.)
Kremlin Mill
About 1878 George H. Crumb, who was located at Ironton, Mo., as registrar of government land, had a vision of making a great industry at the old Brannum Mill (q. v.) place and retiring from the land business. He built a three-story burr grist mill for grinding corn and wheat and named it for the old citadel in the heart of Moscow, Russia, which is now the Communist government center. After his death, the mill was bought by John Lucian Ball of Poplar Bluff, about 1900, and operated by him for a number of years. It is still known by his name locally. During the Crumb ownership, the mill was also known as Brown's Mill, for a Mr. Brown who operated it for some time. Mr. Ball put in a saw mill, also a store was established and it was a thriving place for a number of years until the roller flouring mill of Poplar Bluff was established. Now only the old ruins remain. (--Place Names.)
Lane Mill
See Roxie. (--Place Names.)
Last Chance
A store, lunch room, and filling station on U. S. Highway 67 near the State Line. It was leased, in 1934, by G. W. Warren from the Kinser family who had established it several years before. The name was given because it is the last opportunity to buy gasoline in Missouri, where it is much cheaper because of the higher state tax in Arkansas (as of 1945). (--Place Names.)


Lick Branch
Although this place is not a town, it is felt that it deserves a place in this directory. It is an east tributary of Cave Creek in Black River and Epps Townships. The name was given by the early hunters and trappers because for some distance along the banks the deer would actually lick the whitish saline clay. The clay banks were known as Deer Licks. (--Place Names.)
Lindsay Club House
See Rinky Dink Club House. (--Place Names.)
Loma Linda
A tourist camp, north of Poplar Bluff, at the junction of Highways 60 & 67. There are two large concrete buildings in Spanish style, a service filling station, a lunch room, and some cabins. It was built in 1932 and 1933 by R. M. Elkins of Poplar Bluff. The name was suggested by Mr. Hinchey (son of Allen Hinchey of Cape Girardeau) who first operated the place. It is a Mexican name for "soil" (Loma) and "land lay" (Linda), explains Mrs. Lillian Elkins. (--Place Names.)
Lone Hill
A topographical name given years ago to one of the larger foothills, near Black River, standing somewhat apart from the others, southwest of Rombauer. (--Place Names.)

It is in the western part of the county, at Sections 28 & 29, Township 24 N, Range 5 E, on Highway F, north of 160.

Lone Hill Shoots
A narrow portion of Black River about 5 miles north of Poplar Bluff near the railroad crossing near Lone Hill (q. v). Here the river may be said to leave the hills, as the valley widens considerably. The pronounced fall in the stream causes increased swiftness and the water is unusually deep below the fall. The spelling "shoots" is an Anglicized form of the French word "chute", fall, used for a rapid. (--Place Names.)


Lowell Junction
The junction of the Palmer R. R., both of which are gone with the "Cat" R. R., 3 miles west of Fisk. Named by the railroad officials for Lowell N. Palmer of New York City, who at that time was president of the Palmer Company that operated large mills east of Poplar Bluff. (--Place Names.)

Butler County Table of Contents

 Springfield-Greene County Library