A Directory of Towns, Villages, and Hamlets
Past and Present
of Clark County, Missouri

Compiled by Arthur Paul Moser

[1] Acasto
Acasto was a post-office 13 miles northwest of Kahokia. (--Campbell's Gazetteer of Missouri, 1874, 145.)

It was situated on Sec. 1, Twp. 67 N, R. 9 W in Folker Township. (--Campbell's New Atlas of Missouri, 1874, Map 13.)

The post-office was discontinued in 1905. (--General Scheme of Missouri, Taft, 24.)

Antioch is located in the south central portion of the county near Suttenfield Creek, on R. F. D from Kahokia. (--The State of Missouri, in 1904, Williams, 361.)

The post-office was discontinued in 1905. (--Taft, 24.)

It is situated on Sections 20, 29, Township 64 N, R. 7 W on 81 west of Winchester. (--General Highway Map, issued by the Missouri State Highway Dept., 8-1-65. Unless otherwise noted all map locations are from this map.)

Mail is via Kahokia--rural; no population. (--Standard Reference Guide of Missouri, 1974, Rand McNally.)

Alexandria is situated on the Mississippi River, a short distance below the junction of the St. Louis, Keokuk & Northwestern Railroad and the Keokuk & Western Railroad, and fifteen miles from Kahokia. The original name of the town was Churchville, the survey and plat of which was made by Francis Church, in September, 1833. The plat contained four public squares and seventy-three blocks. From time to time additions were made to Churchville.

About 1848 or prior thereto, the name of Churchville was dropped by the common consent of the people, and that of Alexandria adopted for the whole town. The change of name was made on account of the alleged improper domestic relations of the original proprietor of the town. Several additions were made from time to time. Thus it may be seen that enough territory was platted into town lots to make a large city.

The first cabin in Alexandria was built by a man, who was attending a ferry there as early as 1832...Among the first merchants of the town were Robert Henning and George Gray...

The original proprietors of Alexandria anticipated a large future commercial city, and in many ways the site was chosen for it was very favorable toward the fulfillment of their anticipation being located just below the mouth of the Des Moines River, which flows into the Mississippi...But the failure to make the Des Moines navigable...handicapped the greater anticipation of those who thought to make of it a great city... (--Clark Co., 336, 337, 338.)


The first permanent settler was Col. John Deaman...Alexandria was a large pork packing point. Thos. Hanan built the most western cabin in the county, near Luray...Mr. Hanson was known as a "Panther Hunter", from bagging two of these animals in one day... (--Campbell, 145, 146.)

It is situated on Sec. 8, Twp. 64 N, R. 5 W on 61 & 136, at the edge of the Mississippi River.

Anson was a post-office ten miles northwest of Kahoka. (--Campbell, 146.)

The post-office was discontinued in 1905. (--Taft, 24.)

It is situated on Sec. 27, Twp. 67, R. 8 W on 81 south of V.

Mail is via Farmington, Iowa--rural; no population. (--Rand McNally, 1974).

Ashton was a post-office on the M. I. & N. R. R, 20 miles west of Alexandria. (--Campbell, 146.)

This small village on the Kahoka & Western Railroad, five miles west of Kahoka, was laid out in November, 1883, by Phillip Showalter...It is located on the southwest quarter of Section 8, Township 65 north, Range 8 west, being in the civil township of Lincoln. The first lot containing one acre, was sold to B. F. Strickler, for the sum of $50. Mr. Strickler erected a business house, in which he opened the first store. The town was composed of the general store, one saddler and one harness shop, one milliner store, one grain elevator, one blacksmith shop, the post-office and railroad depot, the latter having been built in 1883... (--Clark Co., 362.)

It had a school-house, two grist mills, a flour mill, two saw mills, a distillery, hotel and two general stores. Population, 1899, (estimated) 175. (--Encyclopedia of the History of Missouri, 1901, Conard, Vol. 1, 70.)

It is on 136, east of Kahoka.

Mail is via Luray; population 50. (--Rand McNally, 1974).


The original town plat of Athens contained nine blocks, each containing eight lots. It was laid out and established in November, 1844, by the pioneer settler of that vicinity, Isaac Gray...It is located on the banks of the Des Moines River, about two and a half miles below the northeast corner of the State. On the opposite side of the river lies the village of Croton, in Iowa. George Gray built the first storehouse in Athens, and kept the first store therein...At one time before the Civil War, it contained eight dry goods stores. In 1877 it contained the following business houses: Dry goods--J. W. Townsend and Edward Schee; groceries--Hiller & Co., and George Wilson. There were also two wagon shops, one blacksmith shop, a district school-house and two churches--the Methodist and Congregational. A large flouring mill did a prosperous business for many years... (--Clark Co., 349.)

It had one woolen mill, one flouring and grist mill, five stores, one good graded school, and one Methodist Church. The Confederate troops, under Col. Martin E. Green, were defeated by Col. Moore and his undisciplined militia at this place, August 5, 1861. (--Campbell, 146.)

It is situated on Sec. 29, Twp. 67 N, R. 7 W on CC at the Des Moines River.

Mail is via Revere--rural; no population. (--Rand McNally, 1974).

Conard, Vol. 1, 77, states the skirmish was on August 15, 1861. However, War of Rebellion, Vol. III, 82, states the skirmish was on August 5.

See St. Francisville. (--Campbell's New Atlas of Missouri, 1874, Map 13.)
Cama was in the northwest section of the county, in Wyaconda Township, on Santa Fe Railroad. (--Map of Missouri, 1925.)
Chambersburg was a small village about eight miles northwest of Kahoka. It was established about the year 1837, at which time Simeon Conway and Henry Smith opened the first store there...Jack Noe opened a store there about the year 1850. In 1887 the place consisted of one store, kept by Edmonson, one Methodist Episcopal Church, one Catholic Church, and a few other buildings. (--Clark Co., 344.)


It was a post-office eight miles northwest of Kahoka. (--Campbell, 146.)

It was situated on Sec. 17, Twp. 66 N, R. 8 W, in Jefferson Township, on Highway NN. (--Campbell's New Atlas of Missouri, 1874, Map 13.)

The post-office was discontinued in 1905. (--Taft, 24.)

See Alexandria.
Clark City
This town was on the railroad two miles east of Kahoka. It was a competing point for the county seat, and was laid out by Aaron Beachtold for that purpose. It contained the railroad station, a general store, church, school-house, etc. There were several other hamlets in the county containing a general store and a few other buildings. (--Clark Co., 362, 363.)

Clark City, on the M. I. & N. Railroad, 13 miles west of Alexandria, was chiefly laid off by Aaron Becktol and Bryant Bartlett...The people of the town aimed to make it an educational center, and an excellent academy controlled by the Presbyterians was located here...It was a thriving place, containing two churches,--Presbyterian and Methodist, and one store. Population, 1874, about 150. (--Campbell, 145.)

It was situated on Sec. 24, Twp. 65 N, R. 7 W on 136 & EE east of Kahoka.

Clay was a post-office about eight miles southeast of Kahoka, and three miles from Wayland. (--Campbell, 146.)

It was situated on Sec. 7, Twp. 64 N, R. 6 W in Clay Township. (--Campbell's New Atlas of Missouri, 1874, Map 13.)

Highways 136 and 61 have a junction at this point.

Clay is no longer listed in Clark Co.; there is a Clay in Adair County. (--Rand McNally, 1974).

"Cow Bell Tavern"
See Fairmount.
Des Moines City
See Gregory Landing.


Dumas is located in the northeast portion of the county on Des Moines River, across from Argyle, Ill. (--Williams, 361.)

It is situated on Sec. 14, Twp. 61 N, R. 7 W.

Mail is via Revere; no population. (--Rand McNally, 1974).

Eldorado (Luray)

Eldorado (Luray) on the M. I. & N. Railroad, 14 miles west of Alexandria, was laid off by Geo. Combs and R. Q. Starkton in 1837. It had three stores, two churches--Baptist and Methodist, and one public school. (--Campbell, 146.)

It is situated on Sec. 10, Twp. 65 N, R. 9 W in Wyaconda Township, at the junction of AA, K & 136.

The town was surveyed and established in August, 1851, by Thomas A. Gassaway and James Owens. It is situated on the southwestern part of Section 21, in Township 64 North, and Range 9, being in the civil township of Washington...At the original survey of the town D. Woods assisted in carrying the chain, and bought the first lot that was sold. "He was well known in those days as the landlord of the Cow Bell Tavern, a name his house got by using a big brass cow-bell suspended on a pole to call his boarders to their meals." James Tower was the first postmaster, and James B. Craven, the first physician of the village...

Business men in 1877 were Henry Weber, J. B. Sawyer, Charles Caruthers, general stores; E. Hyman, William Lewis, W. McNealey, groceries; the Starr House, by H. Hewitt, who was also the postmaster. One of the most of important industries of the town was the Fairmount Plow and Wagon Shops, established by the 1877 owner, M. Mills, in the year 1857... (--Clark Co., 350.)

It was a post-office twelve miles southwest of Kahoka. (--Campbell, 146.)

It was situated on Sec. 21, Twp. 64 N, R. 9 W in Washington Township, on A, northwest of D.

Fremont was in the northern edge of Madison Township. (--Map of Missouri, 1894, Rand, McNally.)

Fremont was an early name for Stockton. (--Conard, Vol. II, 517.)

There is a Fremont in Carter County. (--Rand McNally, 1974).


Gregory's Landing (now Gregory Landing)

Gregory's Landing, on the Mississippi, was established about the same time as Alexandria was, but it has never grown to be much of a town. In 1881 it contained one general store, post-office, a large grain warehouse, a church, a school-house and a few dwellings. (--Clark Co., 359.)

Gregory's Landing (Des Moines City), on the M. V. & N Railroad, six miles south of Alexandria, had one store. Population about 150, (1874). (--Campbell, 146.)

It is situated on Sec. 1, Twp. 63 N, R. 6 W on F at the Mississippi River.

Mail is via Canton; population 25. (--Rand McNally, 1974).

Hope was located on Section 8, Township unknown. (--Map of Missouri, 1894, Rand, McNally.)

Hope is no longer listed in Clark Co.; there is a Hope in Osage County. (--Rand McNally, 1974).

Kahoka (elevation 900 feet)

Kahoka, the county seat, is located near the center of the county. It is fifteen miles west of Alexandria. It was laid off in 1851 by W. W. Johnson, Moses Clawson and Miller C. Duer, and had one high school, four churches--Presbyterian, Congregational, German Lutheran and Cumberland Presbyterian, one cooper shop, one grain warehouse, thirteen stores and one bank. Population about 650. It had one newspaper, the Commercial. (--Campbell, 146.)

The original town of Kahoka was surveyed and established by William W. Johnson, Moses F. Clawson, and Miller C. Duer, in December, 1856...

The first house in Kahoka was built by John Cramlin, in 1857. It was a small dwelling house...It was afterward consumed by fire. The first business house in the town was a "dram shop," kept in a small building at the southeast corner of the public square...At the beginning of the Civil War the only store on Kahoka was kept by George Bostic. At the close of the war Jacob Troop...started a boot and shoe shop. Then came Dr. Meyers, who practiced medicine for a while, and then started a drug store...Soon after the close of the Civil War, certain parties began to prospect for the location of the county seat at Kahoka, and this gave the place an impetus which caused it to grow more rapidly, and when it was chosen as the permanent site for the county seat the merchants were Jacob Trump, George Bostic, John Jordan, James Fulton and others... (--Clark Co., 351, 352.)


See, also, Conard, Vol. III, 485.

It is situated on Secs. 18, 19, Twp. 65 N, R. 7 W and Sec. 13, 24, R. 8 W in Township 65 N, at the junction of 61 & 136.

This town was surveyed and platted June 26, 1830, by Jacob Weaver, the first settler of Clark County. It was the first town laid out in the territory comprising the county, and at a time, too, when said territory belonged to Marion County. The plat of the town was recorded in Marion County, June 26, 1830, in Lewis County, December 25, 1833, and in Clark County, May 14, 1838. The town as laid out contained twelve lots of eight blocks each, and a few fractional lots. The town was located on the Des Moines River, in the northeast quarter of fractional Section 5, Township 65 north, Range 6 west; being just above the present village of St. Francisville.

This, however, was only a "paper town", as it never was improved and has never been in existence except on paper. Several other "paper towns" exist in Clark County, the mention of which will be mostly omitted on account of their non-historic interest. (--Clark Co., 335, 336.)

Lancaster, county seat of Schuyler County, was an early name for Stockton, Cedar County. (--Conard, Vol. III 582.)

Luray (elevation 750 feet)

This town is situated on the Keokuk & Western Railroad about nine miles west of Kahoka. It was surveyed and laid out on the northern part of Section 10, in what is now Wyaconda Township, in October, 1837, by George Combs and Robert Stark, two of the pioneer settlers of that part of the county...

The first house in Luray was built by Smith Tinsley. It was a one-story log cabin about fourteen feet square, with an open fire place in one side, with a stick and mud chimney. About the year 1838 Mr. Tinsley opened a store in this rustic building, and according to custom in those days whiskey was one of the principal articles kept for sale...The early merchants furnished tea, coffee, sugar, ammunition, etc. to the pioneer settlers, but for want of transportation they would not barter eggs and other produce at any price; consequently a home market was not established for many years later. Wages then were "two-bits" (twenty-five cents) per day, and George Combs, one of the proprietors of the town, helped his few neighbors in that vicinity to butcher their hogs for that price.


In 1887 the business men of Luray were, general stores, J. A. Stafford, J. W. Fonda and J. W. Shore; grocery, J. B. Chamberlain; drugs, M. W. Woolridge; grocery, hardware and notions, W. S. Bellows; postmaster, Nathaniel Davis; corn-mill and saw mill, J. W. Faulkinburg...(--Clark Co., 345, 346; see, also, Conard, Vol. IV, 135.)

See Eldorado. (--Campbell, 146.)

It is situated in Twp. 65 N, R. 9 W, Sec. 10, in Wyaconda Township. (--Campbell's New Atlas of Missouri, 1874, Map 13.)

It is situated at the junction of AA, K, & 136.

Meddill is located at the junction of the B-N and Santa Fe Railroads. (--Map of Missouri, 1925, Rand, McNally.)

It is situated on Sec. 15, 16, Twp. 65 N, R. 8 W on 136 west of Kahoka.

It is a rural branch of Kahoka. (--Rand McNally, 1974).

Mount Vernon
Mount Vernon was laid out in September, 1837, by R. Q. Stark and Justice Ensign. It was located on the southwest quarter of Section 14, and the southeast quarter of Section 15, Township 65 north, Range 8 west, and was at the point first selected for the county seat of justice, but as the latter was not located there, the place was not improved, and consequently Mount Vernon has been known only as a paper town... (--Clark Co., 344, 345.)

Mount Vernon is the county seat of Lawrence County. (--Rand McNally, 1974).

Neeper was located in the southwest portion of the county, east of Fairmount, near the little Wyaconda.

The post-office was discontinued in 1905. (--Taft, 24.)

It was situated on Sec. 21, Twp. 64 N, R. 8 W on D west of M.

Neva was in the northwest corner of the county, in Folker Township on Scotland County line. (--Map of Missouri, 1894, Rand, McNally.)


This small village, six miles north of Kahoka, was laid out in August, 1852, by Mrs. Mary F. Peake. It contained two general stores kept respectively by John Wilson and John Coovert; also three blacksmith shops, a post-office and two churches--the Christian and the Church of God. (--Clark Co., 351.)

It had one store. (--Campbell, 146.)

It is situated on Sec. 19, Twp. 66 N, R. 7 W in Sweet Home Township, on C east of 81, northwest of Revere. (--Campbell's New Atlas of Missouri, 1874, Map 13; Map of Clark Co., 8-1-65.)

The post-office was discontinued in 1905. (--Taft, 24.)

Mail is via Revere; population 25. (--Rand McNally, 1974).

Revere (elevation 685 feet)

Revere is situated in Sweet Home Township, southeast of Peaksville. (--Map of Missouri, 1925, Rand, McNally.)

It is situated on Sec. 20, Twp. 66 N, R. 7 W at the junction of DD & C.

Riverside was a station on the M. V. & W. Railroad, three miles south of Alexandria. (--Campbell, 146.)

Riverside is no longer listed in Clark County. There are Riversides in both Jefferson and Platte Counties. (--Rand McNally, 1974).

St. Francisville
The original town of St. Francisville was laid out by Francis Church and William Clark on the 9th day of April, 1834. It contained a public square and sixteen blocks. "Church's Addition" thereto was laid out October 8th, 1835; and "Church's Second Addition" was laid out March 18th, 1836; and "Wayland's Second Addition" was laid out September 26th, 1840.

This...village is situated on the south bank of the Des Moines River in Section 4, Township 65 north, Range 6 west...The first post-office in Clark County was established at this place in the spring of 1835, and George Haywood was the first postmaster. The mail came over the State road, from Lewis County and was received only once a month, and every letter cost 25 cents on delivery. The second post-office in the county was established at Sweet Home, an Indian trading point a few miles up the river. Robert Taylor opened the first store in St. Francisville, and Thomas E. Palmer soon became a member of the firm...

Joseph Wayland taught the first school, it being also the first school in the county... (--Clark Co., 339, 340; Campbell, 147.)


It is the oldest settled town in Clark County. It is located on the Des Moines River, nine miles northeast of Kahoka and four miles from Wayland...It was laid off in 1833, by Francis Church. It contained two churches, Presbyterian and Baptist, a good school, two grocery stores and blacksmith shops, and wagon shops. Population, 1899 (estimated) 125. (--Conard, Vol. V, 430.)

It is situated on Secs. 4, 5, 8 & 9, Twp. 65 N, R. 6 W on Highway B and the Des Moines River.

Mail is via Alexandria and Revere. Population 90. (--Rand McNally, 1974).

St. Mary's
St. Mary's, twelve miles south of Kahoka, had one Catholic Church. (--Campbell, 147.)

St. Mary's is no longer listed in Clark Co. There is a St. Mary's in Ste. Genevieve County. (--Rand McNally, 1974).

St. Patrick
This small village, in the southeast part of Jackson Township, was composed of a few dwelling-houses, one general store, post-office, blacksmith shop, and a Roman Catholic Church. D. McDaniels was the proprietor of the store, Herman Zerald, of the blacksmith shop, and J. J. Mahan was the Catholic priest. (--Clark Co., 362.)

It is situated on Sec. 15, Twp. 63 N, R. 7 W on 81 on Lewis County line.

Sherwood was located on the northeast corner of Folker Township. (--Map of Missouri, 1894, Rand, McNally.)
This small hamlet, about four miles south of Kahoka, was surveyed and laid out December 5, 1855, by Ely and Rodgers. It contained one general store, a church and schoolhouse, post-office, and a few dwellings. (--Clark Co., 351.)

Union is no longer listed in Clark Co. There is a Union in Franklin Co.; Union City, in Stone Co.; and Union Star in DeKalb County. (--Rand McNally, 1974).


The original site of the county seat at Waterloo was established in 1836...In the fall of that year, Asher Ousley opened the first store in the place, and during the following winter he took Marion Wilson in as partner...He afterward sold his interest to Robert Taylor, who soon obtained from the county court a license "to keep a grocery in the town of Waterloo, for six months." The license cost Mr. Taylor $16, one-half of which went to the State, and the other half into the county fund. It should be borne in mind that a license to keep a grocery meant a license to sell liquors. Evidently it was a paying business, even though the county was sparsely settled. It was, as may be seen elsewhere, the first business of some of the pioneer towns. The second store in Waterloo was established near the close of the year, by Peake & Watson...John Roberts was the first postmaster.

During the first period that the county seat remained at Waterloo, the town progressed fairly, and did a considerable amount of business, but when the seat of justice was moved therefrom in 1847, it began to decline rapidly. Then when the seat of justice was returned thereto in 1854, strenuous efforts were made by the proprietors of the town to revive the business interests. It, however, revived only partially, and after the county seat was removed from it the second time, and located permanently at Kahoka, its death became a certainty, and there is nothing left there now but the site upon which it once stood. (--Clark Co., 342, 343.)

The town was laid out in 1837 on a tract of land designated as the county seat. In 1858 the county court changed the judicial seat to Alexandria. In 1855 (sic) it was changed back to Waterloo, and that place continued to be the capital of the county until 1872, when Kahoka was made the county seat. (--Conard, Vol. VI, 403.)

It was situated on Sec. 8, Twp. 65 N, R. 7 W, in Madison Township.

Waterloo is no longer listed in Clark Co.; there is a Waterloo in Lafayette County. (--Rand McNally, 1974).

Wayland (elevation 535 feet)

This is a village on the Kahoka & Western (now B-N) Railway, eight miles east of Kahoka. The town was established as soon as the railroad was completed. Hon. P. S. Stanley, who was the first railroad agent, built the first dwelling-house in the town, and Dr. Jester built the first store-house...and sold drugs for two years. P. H. Ahern then bought him out and opened the first general store... (--Clark Co., 361.)


It had two hotels, a corn-mill and about a dozen stores and shops. Population (1899), estimated, 300. (--Conard, Vol. VI, 410.)

It is situated on Secs. 29, 32, Twp. 65 N, R. 6 W at the junction of D, 26 & 136.

This town was laid out and established by William P. Thomas, on the 27th day of July, 1837. It contained a public square, and three blocks, with eight lots each: four blocks with six blocks each, and one block, with five lots...This town is situated about ten miles southeast of Kahoka. Paris Judy opened the first store and grocery...In 1887 the town contained two general stores; one by John W. Dunbar, and the other by Samuel Dunbar; also a store, kept by Samuel Taylor, and one grist-mill and wool carding machine run by M. McCarty. There were also two blacksmith shops, a district school-house and two churches, also a boot and shoe shop and two physicians. (--Clark Co., 345.)

It had one flouring-mill and three stores. Population about 250, 1874. (--Campbell, 147.)

It is situated on Sec. 25, Twp. 64 N, R. 6 W in Clay Township, on H west of 61. (--Campbell's New Atlas of Missouri, 1874, Map 13; General Highway Map of Clark County.)

The post-office was discontinued in 1905. (--Taft, 24.)

Mail is via Canton and Kahoka. (--Rand McNally, 1974).

Wrightsville was situated on Sec. 11, Twp. 64 N, R. 8 W in Union Township. (--Campbell's New Atlas of Missouri, 1874, Map 13.)
Wyaconda is an incorporated village in Clark County, twelve miles southwest of Kahoka, on the A. T. & S. F. R. R. It contained Catholic, Baptist, Methodist Episcopal and Christian Churches, a college (Wyaconda College), a newspaper, the News, a flouring-mill, handle factory, two hotels, bank, and about thirty other business concerns, including stores and shops. Population, 1899, (estimated) 700. (--Conard, Vol. VI, 531.)

It is situated on Secs. 31, 32, Twp. 65 N, R. 9 W at the junction of A & W near Scotland County line.


St. Patrick (earlier Marysville)

Postmaster Anna Logsdon, who also operates a general store...says, "There are some Ryans, McDermotts and Kelleys among the 53 residents, but the Irish heritage is not as strong as it was when the town was first named.

"The town is more than 150 years old but first was called Marysville," she explained. "But there was another Marysville in Missouri so we had to get a new name.

"There was a priest named Father Francis O'Buigan living here and he chose the name."

The town is the only one in the United States named St. Patrick, and Mrs. Logsdon says her special postmark is in great demand on March 17. (--UPI dispatch in Springfield Leader and Press, March 18, 1980; used by permission.)

There is a Marysville in Nodaway County. (--Rand McNally, 1974). Standard Reference Guide of Missouri.)

Old Timers wanted the county seat of McDonald County named Marysville but were turned down due to another Maryville in Missouri. (--Mrs. Pauline Carnell, Jane, MO.)

Clark County Table of Contents

 Springfield-Greene County Library