Put Some Chill in Your Sweltering Days with Summer Scares!
June 24, 2019 — Get to know a new generation of horror authors, rediscover some established veteran writers, and check out a summer series that explores the mystique of the stories that make our skin crawl. Summer Scares is an initiative of the Horror Writers Association, Book Riot, Library Journal and United for Libraries.
Whether you love horror or rarely read it, embrace all things ghastly and frightful at these events for adults, teens and middle grade readers (unless designated otherwise.)
- Slasher Films and Final Girls
Thursday, July 11, 7 p.m. for adults in the Library Center auditorium. The slasher film has been one of horror's most reviled but beloved subgenres. From Hitchcock to Halloween, these films have left a long list of “final girls” such as Laurie Strode and Sidney Prescott, and developed a cult following. Missouri State University professors Michael Frizell and Tim White will discuss famous slasher flicks and final girls.
- The Shape of Terror: A Sit-down with Daniel Kraus
Thursday, July 18, 7 p.m. in the Library Center auditorium. Join New York Times best-selling author Daniel Kraus for a discussion of his teen and adult titles, his take on the horror genre and why he thinks horror appeals to so many readers. Kraus is the author of “Rotters.” He co-authored “Trollhunters” and “The Shape of Water” with Guillermo del Toro. Books will be available for purchase and signing. For adults and teens in grades 9-12.
- Family Movie Night at the Library
Friday, July 26, 6:30-8 p.m. for families with kids of all ages in the Library Center auditorium. Watch “Goosebumps 2: Haunted Halloween,” rated PG, on our big screen and do an activity. Materials will be provided.
- Ozarkian Campfire Tales
Thursday, July 25, 7:30 p.m. at Ritter Springs Park, 3683 W. Farm Road 92. Cozy up to a crackling campfire, enjoy some s'mores and get spooked by the weird tales of authors from “Feral: A Journal of Ozarkian Gothic.” S'mores will be provided. Meet at the Ritter Springs pavilion. Registration starts July 1; call 883-5341.
- Horror Board Game Night
Thursday, August 1, 6-8 p.m. for grades 6-12 in the Library Center Story Hour Room. Enjoy a night of thrills and chills with horror-themed board games One Night Ultimate Werewolf and Betrayal at House on the Hill.
- Teen Friday Nights
Friday, August 2, 6-8 p.m. for grades 6-12 in the Library Station Frisco Room. Join us for Scary Stories Under the Stars. Tell your best scary stories and enjoy s'mores around the “campfire.” Snacks will be provided.
Visit with others about horror titles at these book discussions:
- Donuts & Death: Tuesdays, 6 p.m. at the Hurts Donut Company, 320 Park Central West.
- June 11: “Mongrels” by Stephen Graham Jones.
- July 9: “Rotters” by Daniel Kraus.
- Book Discussion: Thursday, June 27, 1:30 p.m. in the Library Station Santa Fe Room. “Rotters” by Daniel Kraus.
- Center City Book Club: Tuesdays, June 11, 1:30 p.m. in the MID upstairs meeting room. “My Soul to Keep” by Tananarive Due.
- Books & Brew: Tuesday, July 16, 6 p.m. for age 21 and older at Mother's Brewing Company, 215 S. Grant Ave. “The Teenage Slasher Movie Book” by J.A. Kerswell.