COVID-19 and the Library - What You Need To Know
June 24, 2020 — Updated Wednesday, June 24, 2020
Patrons visiting the Springfield-Greene County Libraries can be reassured that multiple steps are being taken to ensure their safety and limit the spread of COVID-19. Find COVID-19 Community Resources in this article.
Adjusted summer hours are 8:30 a.m.-6 p.m. Monday-Saturday, closed Sundays, through Aug. 31, at all 10 branches.
Library drive-up window service hours, available for holds pick up only, are open 7:30 a.m.-7 p.m. Monday-Saturday, closed Sundays, through Aug. 31. Outdoor book drops at all 10 library branches are open 24 hours a day.
Currently, services usually provided on the Mobile Library are provided with the Library van on the normal schedule.
The Library Express West, the 24-hour library kiosk at 3872 W. Chestnut Expressway, reopened on May 18.
Here's what to expect during a visit to the Library since the branches reopened:
- Visitors will be asked to comply with city and county requirements for social distancing, remaining 6 feet from staff and patrons. Masks are recommended inside the libraries.
- Each library branch will enforce building occupancy guidelines per city/county orders.
- Returned items at all branches are quarantined in a separate area of the buildings for 72 hours before being available for checkout.
- Indoor public service desks and drive-up service windows are equipped with acrylic shields and other items for staff and patron safety.
- Due to health concerns, all in-person summer programs such as concerts, storytimes, book discussions and Summer Reading Program performers are canceled, but some are provided as virtual programming. Check the summer Bookends calendar of events, or thelibrary.org/programs for details.
- All public meetings, and meeting, conference and study room use in branches are canceled through Aug. 31. All reservations for those rooms are canceled. The SPACES reservation system has reopened for fall reservations on Sept. 1 and beyond.
- Due dates are extended to July on all currently checked-out items from the Library. Materials will be due according to the new date posted on your account. You will not be fined when you return materials by the stated due date.
- Patrons may still access Library Wi-Fi internet on the Library Express West site and branch parking lots where possible.
- Discovery Center passes checked out from the Library may not be used until further notice.
- Hot Spots will not be disabled until their new due date.
- Online temporary cards are valid through August 31.
- Book donations for the Friends of the Library sale will be accepted only at a Library Center drop site from 9 a.m. -6 p.m. on Monday-Saturday, July 6-11 and July 13-18. No other branches can accept donations at this time. The Fall Book Sale has been rescheduled to Sept. 16-20, and Friends Night is Sept. 15 at the E*Plex.
- For the time being, the Library has suspended job postings, the job hiring process and volunteer opportunities.
You can always use the Library without coming in, 24 hours a day:
- Browse the collection from your armchair at thelibrary.org/catalog, and you will receive notification when the items are available.
- Access e-books, audiobooks, magazines, movies and music through thelibrary.org/digital.
- You can also read online newspapers, do research and get homework help through thelibrary.org/research.
- Here is a listing of popular online resources provided by the Library.
For more information contact Community Relations Director Kathleen O'Dell at 417-616-0564.