Drive-through Window Service to Reopen at Five Libraries May 7
April 30, 2020 — Due to additional steps required for reopening, drive-through window service will resume at five Springfield-Greene County Libraries at 7:30 a.m. Thursday, May 7, three days later than previously announced.
No date has been set for reopening the 10 branches of the library district to the public, or resumption of other services.
Library buildings and services other than online access closed on March 17 on orders of city and county government and health officials due to the coronavirus. On Thursday, April 30, library officials postponed the drive-through reopening date from May 4 to May 7 after learning they needed to add more safety measures and train staff on the new procedures.
Visitors may pick up holds from 7:30 a.m.-6 p.m. Monday-Saturday at the Library Center, Library Station, Schweitzer Brentwood Branch, and the Republic and Willard branches.
Only materials placed on hold online and directed for pickup up at those five locations may be retrieved. Patrons will be notified in the usual manner when their items are ready to be picked up.
Branch locations with drive-through windows are Library Center, 4653 S. Campbell Ave.; Library Station, 2535 N. Kansas Expressway.; Republic Branch, 921 N. Lindsey Ave., Republic; Schweitzer Brentwood Branch, 2214 Brentwood Blvd.; and Willard Branch, 304 E. Jackson St.
Returned materials will not be accepted at drive-through windows, but must be deposited in outdoor book drops at those branches from 7:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday-Saturday.
Materials directed for pick up at the Park Central, Midtown Carnegie, Fair Grove, Strafford and Ash Grove branches will be held there until service is restored.
Here are other details:
- Materials on hold will have been quarantined for 24 hours before being given to patrons at the drive-through. Items returned will be cleaned and quarantined for 24 hours before being reshelved, on the advice of city-county health officials.
- Allowing for a 6-foot distance from library staff, patrons will be able to swipe their library card or read off their card number.
- Walk-up service will not be permitted at drive-throughs for pedestrian safety.
- Branch telephones will not be answered during the first reopening phase. Patrons may call the Infoline at 882-0714. Staff will retrieve messages and return calls from 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Monday through Saturday; and 1-5 p.m. Sunday. Infoline staff cannot answer questions about a patron’s personal account or give access to digital resources. Those questions should be submitted to Ask a Librarian at thelibrary.org/contact.
- For more information, call the Infoline at 882-0714.